The Cambridge Hotel & Backpackers Reviews

28 Cambridge Terrace, Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

We stayed here because we wanted a place to come back to after watching the Cricket World Cup and suited our needs perfectly. I would describe it as a hotel with some dorms room in it rather than a hostel. Rooms were ok but weren't many plug sockets. Bathroom was excellent and kept very clean. Didn't use the kitchen so can't comment on that. Very well located as close to the main 'going out' street in Wellington. If you just needed a bed for the night then I would highly recommend staying here.

The main issue we had with this place was one member of staff (a young Asian girl on reception, didn't get her name) who was rude to both my wife and I on separate occasions. They also made us change rooms on the last night which was frustrating. I had phoned to extend our stay by one night a few weeks before and asked if we would be in the same room but it was put through as a separate booking so wasn't linked to the original one. Also stupid policy on deposit for crockery and cutlery!

Comfortable beds, reasonable kitchen and shower facilities - all fairly average. They had overbooked and ended up booting me out despite having booked in advance. Whilst the lady on reception was very apologetic and found me a bed just around the corner for slightly less than I'd paid it was still inconvenient and somewhat annoying to be called up and told I should've already checked out.

Excellent location near all the downtown action. This is a hotel, and nothing fancy, although certainly acceptable. Not a fantastic price, but that's New Zealand in general.

Hostel was adequate but not worth 50 dollars a night. However location excellent security good dorm room fine and right next to bar

• 6th Feb 2015
  • Scotland

Nice surprise to have a TV in the single room. Would have liked a mirror in my room though. Plenty comfortable enough for no frills stay in Wellington.

• 5th Feb 2015

Secure quiet room with very solid walls (no noise between rooms - excellent). Only downside was state of mens restroom which had water on the floor from the showers and no real facilities to shave etc, just one basin and mirror was on opposite wall. Only other thing would have liked a rail on the top bunk for safety when in bed, thats all. Other than that, great peaceful hostel.

The location of this one was amazing - right near a lot of Wellington's nightlife and only a short walk from other major areas. The pub attached has a good value breakfast too. The sleeping/bathroom arrangements aren't super comfortable and it isn't the type of hostel you'd expect to meet others too often.

• 31st Jan 2015