The Cambridge Hotel & Backpackers Reviews

28 Cambridge Terrace, Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

I like the fact that the beds are lower than usual, however on the second part of both days I could smell gas in the room, possibly due to the fact the window opens out the back where the pubs kitchen is located at. Free 30 min wifi every 24h which was really fast!

I was a bit disappointed by the cleanliness of the place (uraroma in the corridor...) and the noise in the 8-beds room coming from the ventilation system. It is ok for a backpackers place, but definitely not the best one in NZ !

We unfortunately were only in the Hostel for about 7 hours, but we wished we could have stayed longer! The Hotel is amazing with its old charm. We stayed in a private double bed with ensuite bathroom and LOVED it! The staff was really nice about our 1am arrival and even gave us an upgraded room. This was probably our favorite Hostel to stay at in Australia and New Zealand simply because it was so neat to stay in a building so old, and I don't usually like old things!

hostel price, hotel feeling!

It was a nice sized 4 bed dorm with tv, fridge

This is basically hotel standard except for the shared bathroom. We had our own tv with sky and tea making facilities. Clean bathroom. Kitchen facilities if needed. Own personal fridge in room. Comfortable and clean. Bar downstairs does good food and drinks.

Excellent location and a cool building. Lacks a backpackers common room (just a public bar downstairs) so it feels a bit more like a hotel with dorms.

Great location. Hotel like feel. I got the squeekiest bed ever which woke me up during the night! Minor but it did impact on me.

Close to everything, rooms not too small, internet v fast, lot of long term stays, kitchen

It was the perfect location - convenient to public transportation, nightlife, and all of the touristy sites. The staff are all super friendly and up for a chat or recommendations for a real insider's take on the city. I would definitely recommend this place.

• 15th Dec 2014

Great location, decently sized rooms, clean. Only one common room/kitchen and the room was pretty small. Good price.

Good location, good people.

The staff were absolutely amazing, and instantly make you feel welcome and taken care of. Rooms were of decent size and were clean, and the bathrooms were really looked after (having recently been renovated by the looks of it). Have to pay for Wi-Fi however (which in 2014 is a bit sad...), and the common area was tiny. Great place overall though!

Stayed here in the beginning of December. Pretty average hostel, it was clean and plenty of toilets and showers so you never had to wait which was good. Good location. The staff did their job, nothing more it seemed. Also, there seemed to be alot of long-term stayers there so it was not very sociable.

Very nearly very good! Could do with a bit of simple maintenance, such as making sure that blinds and windows open / close properly. Good location, reasonable facilities. Wifi is expensive, after the free 30 minutes.

Good hostel, although it was noisy due to the bars around the area.

Had a great night's stay here. Reception are open 24 hours (rare for NZ) and were very friendly and helpful. Great location. Not noisy even though it was friday night. Had a problem with water temperature in the showers. Stored luggage for free unlike Base. Would definitely stay again.

For a hotel I would have expected this place to be cleaner, the backpacker area appeared somewhat neglected. There is a bar nearby and all evening I had groups of people gathered outside the single glazed bedroom window, hearing their conversations word for word (even with earplugs in, drunk people are loud)! Not keen on the deposit for crockery, if I only need a bowl I shouldn't have to carry around two plates a cup and cutlery.

Great place - better than expected. Clean and comfortable.

• 3rd Dec 2014
  • Singapore

A great hostel that is centrally located. The four-bed dorm I stayed in was spacious with good beds, bedding and even a heater. They could do with some lockers in the rooms for valuables. Plenty of bathroom and shower facilities that are kept clean. Many of the hostels in Welly are hovels, this one would be my first choice when in Welly next.