The Capital-Inn Reviews

Sudurhlid 35d, Reykjavik, Iceland

The Hostel (which is actually a guest house) is really clean and the staff is helpful.However, its distance from the city centre might be a issue for those who dont like walking (who is no me :D ). All tours depart daily from this hostel, making the perfect spot for every tour you may want to take. The kitchen was really clean (not enough forks) and provided what we needed (sauces, pans, oils and even Nutella). Our bedroom was being cleaned daily by the morning.

Capital inn turned out to be better than i expected. Inside was very modern and seemed new or recently refurbished. A spacious kitchen was well stocked with cooking equipment and kept clean and tidy! Breakfast was €10 but turned out to be worth it as you could really eat and drink as much as you like: with cereals, toast, porridge, fruit, yogurt, eggs, ham and cheese etc...tea and coffee but no orange juice! The toilets had power showers available 24/7 and, like elsewhere, were kept very clean.

The hostel is far from downtown, not so clean as an hostel at this latitude should be . However the cheapest one I coud find in Reykjavik.

I stayed at the Capital-Inn three nights throughout the course of my week in Iceland. The wifi was good, the bunk beds were decent, the linens were comfy, and several members of the staff were very friendly. It is also very close drive to the bus station, downtown Reykjavik, and access to the highway (to the Ring Road or to Keflavik airport). There's not much in the neighborhood, but it's a great location if you have a rental car. Good value for the money.

Capital-Inn is expensive for what it is. I stayed in their 16 bed dorm, the bunk beds were cheap wobbly ones with very thin mattresses. The hostel is a good 45 minutes away from the center of the city. Iceland accommodation on the whole is expensive. It was in no way a bad hostel, the guy on the desk was really friendly and gave great advice but having stayed at another hostel in the center of town for a similar price per night i was a little disappointed with some aspects.

Really nice kitchen! Good place to end your Iceland trip, very calm.

In general, the hostel needs some refurbishment but nothing is falling apart either. Everything necessary for 'convenient accomodation' is there with the exception of lockers for your belongings. I found one of the staff memebers (a cheff sometimes sitting behind the reception desk) to be very impolite but I could not say anything bad about the rest of the staff. The hostel is located about 2-3 km from the city center but the value-for-money ratio seems reasonable to me.

• 29th Jul 2014
  • Poland

On the second night of my stay, a group of people were extremely loud until early in the morning, trashed the kitchen and stole food in the fridge. I would have expected the management to do something about it. Regardless of that unfortunate night, the rest of the stay was ok.

• 10th Jul 2014
  • Reunion

The man running the breakfast has a bit of an attitude. The rest of the staff were nice and helpful.

• 7th Jul 2014

Only a short stay, the hostel was a bit far from the centre, but if you don't mind walking it's about 40 minutes.

While most of the staff was pleasant, one gentleman who I think was the manager was just grumpy and unpleasant. The rooms and the bathrooms are dirty and the beds horrible, it's like sleeping on a spring. It is also far from the center with nothing around it. The wifi was spotty as well. There are places closer to center that are better value and nicer.

I wouldn't have stayed in the Capital-Inn if I had known that they have whale meat on the menu. That's why I won't go back and I advice people to avoid this place. Killing whales is against international agreements and it's irresponsible to sell whale meat.

It's a good hostel, clean and has everything one needs. Maybe a bit loud during the evenings with large groups. It's located far from the city center, I was aware of that, but needed a budget hostel for 2 nights before I move on to the North. One person of the staff was unfriendly and even rude. I asked politely some questions and the man at reception was really rude and treated me like I was out of my mind. They also overcharged my creditcard. Far from city center. Clean hostel though.

Nice hostel, quiete close to the beach, friendly staff, well equipped kitchen, close bus stop to the city (walk to the city ca. 20-25 min.), supermarket about 10 min. walk, you can always get into the hostel and dorms without a key though.

Iceland has some of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. Capital Inn was at the lower end of the spectrum. However, it still was better than most other hostels I stayed at in other countries. The reason I did not select Excellent for the facilities was because of the kitchen, which would benefit from a renovation.

L'endroit est très agréable, calme et très propre. Le responble de l'auberge (Hassan) est très accueillant, drôle :D, et est toujours là pour donner des conseils (notamment concernant les tours en islande). Et bien que l'auberge soit un peu éloignée (40 minutes à pieds) les bus des tours viendront vous récupérer depuis l'auberge et ce n'est pas la ville qui est la plus intéressante à voir en islande mais plutot les sites aux alentours (Blue lagoon, the south coast, the waterfalls...)

We stayed in a 16-bed dorm (two more than was promised, but anyway...), which had a water damage. The air was so stiffling that we could not sleep due to the stench. The kitchen was dirty and everyone just stayed there as long as they had to to. We asked if we could change the room because one of us had a problem with asthma. This was not possible though.

We had a private double room with a shared bathroom. The bathrooms were dingy and not very clean, with visible dirt in the corners and mould on the ceiling. The hallways smelled like wet dog. All of the water smelled like sulfur and tasted strange. The room was comfortable enough. There are much better hostels/inns for similar prices close to the city centre.

View all Reykjavik Bed and Breakfasts