The Chill House Backpackers hostel Reviews

Calle de la Tablada # 7 - 12, Centro, Cartagena, Colombia

I could not bring myself to leave this place! Sofi, Isa, and all the ladies that work at the hostel are wonderful. You woke up every morning with an hola mi amor and a besito. The location in Cartagena is great, and it's nice sitting on the balcony at night watching performers at the restaurant below. Close enough to fun stuff but secluded enough that it's not noisy at night.

• 15th Apr 2015

The location is excellent and staff is very friendly, it's a small cozy hostel, my dorm had air conditioning all day which is a big plus. Nice balcony overlooking the Plaza. However they only have two bathrooms (toilet and shower together, so when someone's taking a shower you wait forever). The kitchen equipment was in really bad shape. Also their tours are overpriced, book them somewhere else.

• 1st Apr 2015
  • Finland

This is a great hostel in a great location. I have no idea why the reviews are so low. It is clean and comfortably air conditioned. The only issue is the bathrooms. There are only two for the whole place which can require some waiting around but it isn't a huge deal. Pro-tip: don't book the ensuite room as one of the bathrooms is in that room and everyone is allowed to go in there whenever to use it.

The owner of this hostel is so sweet

Excellent Hostel in a brilliant location. Very friendly and helpful staff. The rooms have good working aircon and the atmosphere is more relaxed than some of the rowdier hostels in the area.

• 26th Mar 2015

Thanks to the staff for making me feel like home. I loved this hostel. As a traveler i recomend it. Perfect location if you are coming to enjoy the city.

This is a Hostel, nothing more nothing else. And this is a hostel because here you feel like home. by far the best and safest location in town, surrounded by bars , restaurants .Beautiful night life in the middle of real cartagena´s old town. . The best staff! Thanks girls.

The staff were very friendly, spoke little or no English so make sure you've brudhed up on your basic Spanish. Only one bathroom/toilet was a bit of a pain. Waiting for the shower I can handle, but having to wait long periods to use the toilet was quite annoying.

• 20th Mar 2015

This was a great place, I don't understand why they got so many poor reviews. Staff is super kind and helpful (spanishspeaking only), clean and right next to a plaza where you can hang out. Plays champeta and party music in the lobby during the day which is also nice.

The linens from my bed where taken while i was in the shower around 9am (check out 12pm) even though all my stuff were still on the bed as i was still planning to take a nap. I wasnt planning to check out that day but changed my mind. The common area is a bit small but otherwise the hostel is quite okay.

When I made payment I was short changed 6100pesos. Told it would be paid later. Asked it be written down in the book, I believe it was but I wasn't sure that it was not put as me owing them rather than them owing me. Told by lady don't worry I will not forget. When I returned in the late evening I thought they would immediately call me over to pay me the deficit and I had to ask for it, was told "do you need it now" it was paid reluctantly when I replied I am leaving in the morning.

Not our best place we've stayed. If you are very very relaxed about where you stay and the quality of sleep you get then you will enjoy it. Only two bathrooms in the entire hostel. Our dorm bathroom was used almost all night and all morning, so there were constant interruptions to our sleep. No air con in our dorm either. The atmosphere is ok, but most people are recovering from a crappy night's sleep! The location is good for city centre. Media Luna looks like a good alternative.

NO idea about the hostal, as my reservation was cancelled.

• 19th Feb 2015

Airco in the room worked very well. Located right above a restaurant with nice music or street performance. Not a big place so it feels crowded pretty fast. One night people had load music and talked loud right outside my dorm: no attempt from staff to be more quiet. Also not happy about facilities: tiny lockers, only 2 bathrooms for the hostel (NO separate wc) and for laundry service they sent me down the road to Makako hostel. Better go there: big common area, cleaner bathrooms, laundry.

Only 2 bathrooms one was in our room so people coming in and out constantly throughout the day and night. Nice vibes in hostel not a massive amount of space for communal areas but good siZed kitchen and excellent location

DO NOT book the 6 bedroom mixed dorm with ensuite. This is 1 of 2 bathrooms in the hostel. People will come into your room 24 hours of the day. On a Saturday night there were 7 people sleeping on the floor in the lounge and 2 people sleeping beside reception. There is not enough seating for everybody to hang out. The lockers are very small. On the plus side the staff are very nice and friendly.

The family that own this hostel are so lovely and helpful and will do anything they can to make your stay better. They have the fluffiest, cuddliest dog ever and I don't even like dogs but this one is super clean and well behaved. The mother cooks a nice breakfast for everyone every morning and the rooms and bathroom get cleaned every day. Lots of nice casual restaurants right on your doorstep and monserrate is just down the road :)

Great place to stay, especially for fans of Nelly Furtado. The staff were very helpful and made for a great relaxed atmosphere. Yo bebo leche!

I stayed here for three weeks. I'm staying one more week before I fly back to the States. I like it. I would definitely stay here again. Cartagena is great. Sophie, Isaa and Millet, the front desk and cleaning ladies are great.

• 16th Jan 2015

This hostel denied my reservation from the web site claiming that they never recieved the booking. After showing the reservation which they did not believe they provided no assistance to us apart from telling us where we could find another hostel or us sleeping on the floor for equal price, nor compensate us during the high season of which there was limited availability in all hostels. Do not stay here, you will not enjoy your experience due to the unhelpful staff and poor customer service.