The Chill House Backpackers hostel Reviews

Calle de la Tablada # 7 - 12, Centro, Cartagena, Colombia

It was the worst experience at a hostel. It was poorly maintained, as well as, poorly managed. There was a situation in which they book one of the beds we request through the website, and when we show yours taken. In which they put my friend and I, in a less expensive shared dorm room of eight and try to pass it as more expensive. I don't think I'll be finding myself staying there ever again!

• 5th Feb 2016

Fantastic location in the old town, lots of cheap restaurants nearby. Hostel itself is quite small and cramped but private room was good value with air con and decent private bathroom. A shower mat and towels would have been good though. Good wifi. Kitchen available but didn't use it. Be aware that construction is going on right next door at the moment so very loud noise from 7am on weekdays.

Was a bit of an issue with the late night policy. Apparently if you arrive after hours you have to bang and yell for someone to let you in. Was an awkward situation to deal with. Great staff but not great facilities.

Very loud at all hours. Also no 'pool' as claimed on hostel world only an empty tub and a hammock over some gym equipment. Cheapest place around and good if you don't mind noise.

I wrote them an email 24 hours before to cancel my reservation but they never replied. I had to ask local people to call them but one can not call them from the cell phone so we went to a Internet Cafe using fixed phone to call them and they told me the reservation is cancelled. I hope the staff had replied my email so I could have been avoided many troubles. I almost went to Cartagena because I thought they did not cancel my reservation when I could not reach them by phone.

Super disorganized, really friendly but gave my bed away two nights in a row, ended up sleeping on the couch both nights, wasn't impressed at all. Was centrally located and clean but disorganized

The location is good and the girls working there are lovely. However we had an issue with the shower ( cold and it's a pipe) as it flow the bathroom and the room when you use it more than 1 minute. Also it's quite noisy, so we decided you change hotel. We could not have our money back, even though the 24h policy. We even found a couple who wanted the room but the boss perfered to leave the room empty rather than give them the room and our money back!! Dishonest and unwilling tosatisfy costumer

Great location if you want to stay in the walled city, facilities were not very nice but the AC at night was great and the staff was very nice and accommodating!

Very good location but the hostal would really need to get work done to be in a better shape and look more clean. Also pretty noisy.

• 5th Jan 2016

The 'Chill' hostel gives you the impression that it is quiet, you can get a good nights sleep etc. If that's what you want. Instead, 'Chill' means that if you want to stay up all night and play music until sunrise then you can. Also, you could say it is 'Chilled' in it's approach to hot water and shower heads - both are non existent. It wasn't that bad but we needed a place to sleep for the night, not a place to drink all night.

The staff are super friendly and helpful. I can't say more about them. The location is great - right in the heart of the city with activity all around.

We booked early as it seems to be well located and actually is! The problem is that the hostel is very bad, dirty, poorly organized. To clarify, the guests records are made in notebooks, no computer. Some people sleep on the living room floor in front of everyone. We arrived at 2 am when we saw the situation, try to leave, but they would not return the money.They told to return the next day to speak to the manager, but the manager was in Panama and spoke on the phone to not return the money.

The only thing this place has going is location. Otherwise it is terrible. Loud, filthy, two bathrooms for everyone in the dorms. And when I stayed they had people sleeping on all available floor space of the common area. So basically sharing 2 toilets with 30-40 people. It was like a tenement

The hostel is great for people looking to meet cool people to hang out with, and the location is awesome, but that's about it. We had issues with some of the staff, and the hostel was very dirty. There were also not enough bathrooms for all of the people staying there, making it difficult to shower. I felt unclean and uncomfortable throughout my stay.

Amazing location and incredibly wonderful staff! Also fast wifi- the facilities could use some revamping, but I enjoyed my stay and would stay agains

It is a party hostel, but without respect. Just outside of our room, The staff put the music so loud that even with ear plugs, you could hear it... After midnight, I asked to turn it down, but they refused because people were still having fun... Not normal. Internet was really bad, and the place is a bit dirty... But the location is really great. In couple of words, the place isn't really good, but it is so cheap that you could not expect more...

this hostel is nice staff and nice location which is center of Cartagena. You can get wherever you want. It's really nice

The hostal is well located, a few streets away from everything, I have no problem finding anything. The staff, Jaqueline and Sofia are two amazing persons that would make anything to make you feel like home, very caring and so funny, The hostel offers a good cataloge of tours, so you wont have a hard time searching for what to do in the city. The common places where clean every time. Good music, good vibes and amazing people. When I return to Cartagena I know where Im going to stay.

Loved my time here. The staff speak no English but I have never felt more welcome in a hostel in South America. The girls are so friendly. I only speak I tiny bit of spainish and found I got by ok and it helped me learn more. They work really hard to keep the hostel clean and do a good job of that too. Perfect location in the old town. I had one great night sleep and two great nights out by the clock tower which is less than five minutes away!

This place reminds me one of those immigrant pensions from the 1890...

• 15th Nov 2015