The Clarence Park Reviews

7 Clarence Square, Toronto, Canada

Very good hostel with young people and a very cool staff

• 21st Aug 2014

Rooftop patio needs some sprucing up. Deck boards broken. I get the impression that it is not used much, but could be a nice space. The air conditioner was really noisy, maybe a window insert would be better?

• 20th Aug 2014

Really nice, new hostel, with all new facilities. More like a guesthouse.

The location is excellent, walking distance to most important sights. The facilities are good. Nice kitchen, which is a bit messy sometimes. The only thing we missed in the room were the lockers, apart from that, very nice.

• 17th Aug 2014
  • Switzerland

I stayed at the hostel on my own for a couple of nights. The hostel itself was great with great facilities and felt safe and clean. You could happily leave all your belongings in your room in the open and know you'd come back after a full day out and they'd be there still. The atmosphere if the hostel did feel quiet though. People mainly kept to themselves

The hostel was huge and super clean the staff was awesome on recommending good bars and activities to do. If you're looking for a party hostel this may not be the one. Most of the people were staying long term. But overall great experience

Excellent location. Big room and TV, full of places do hang clothes. Good bathroom. The only issue was the delay in check me in, because the person before left the room late... They should be more rigorous with the guests when others are waiting...

We started our 3 weeks Canadian trip in Toronto and stayed at the Clarence Park. It was a very warm welcome we recieved and Danny the host is just an amazing guy! We had a private room with a private bathroom and it was very clean and comfortable, we definately recommend this place and will probably come back here!

• 10th Aug 2014

I had a great stay at The Clarence Park. It was a 5-minute walk from the waterfront, CN Tower, Chinatown, and Kensington Market, etc. There were restaurants and grocery stores nearby, and the little park was a nice place to sit, read, and people-watch. The staff was friendly and helpful, and for as many people as I saw coming and going, it was kept remarkably clean. It was a nice place for a short-term stay, and I saw a number of people there for a longer stay, often searching for work.

First and foremost, this is a hostel and not a hotel. LOL! The value for the money spent was there. Damian at the front desk was awesome. He even carried my bag up to the 3rd floor! This was my first time staying at a hostel. I needed a place to shower and sleep and that is just what I got. Nothing fancy but just what I needed. It is a 5 minute walk to the MTCC where I was working for 3 days. I had a very positive experience there. Thank you. :)

• 8th Aug 2014

wired smell in the kitchen

Sorry for what you are classifying as a weird smell. As we have nationalities from around the world, and being a traveler yourself, we should learn to be a little more tolerant towards other peoples delicacies. We hope something like this does not deter other would be guests from staying in our or a hostel. It is just one more reason that makes hosteling great!!

Nice friendly welcoming staff. Great location. Stayed in private room at top of building. Had fantastic bathroom/shower, although slightly awkward locking the door each time it was not in use. Comfortable bed and clean room, although the decor was cold and looked unfinished. Also hole in wall letting in cold air. Fine for summer as made room very cool, but I imagine freezing during winter. Also damaged blind we were advised not to open.

The hole in the wall as it is being referred to is the air conditioning vent. And it is controlled by the guest. If it is to strong......just close the vent or open slightly to suite your need. At The Clarence Park you control the temperature in your own room. It is not imposed on you!

The hostel was peacefull during the night and it was the most important thing to me.

This was my third stay. The location is great and the staff is nice. Room (No 12, in house 10) clean, but had no window, only an emergency exit door made of milk glass with the A/C in it, so there was practically no daylight. Also, some cleaning supplies were stored in a cupboard in our room, and one cleaning guy came in three time in two days while we were in the room trying to take a nap. The staff said they are going to change it. So if you have the same annoyance you should tell the staff.

The hostel itself was quite excellent. However, there was absolutely no sense of community. No one on staff made any kind of effort to ensure travellers met. There were no events, etc. I wouldn't recommend it for solo travellers.

The Clarence Park is great. The location is second to none. The accommodation is clean, has a good kitchen and the atmosphere is nice and relaxed. All in all I'd highly recommend it. One staff member (just one) ignored us repeatedly at reception. If they had mentioned they were busy and to wait a moment, it'd have been fine. Instead they repeatedly acted as if we were not even there (staring at the computer) until they could talk which was pretty rude. A small issue. Bar that this place rocks.

The guy at the desk, I think his name is Jeff (?) is super nice and is always trying to make you laugh! Definitely a good start to your stay! Enjoyed my time there and would stay there again if I come back to Toronto!

• 1st Aug 2014

Great stay, almost perfect except one thing- whilst the manager was really friendly, his staff were not. We were in a room that had curtains around each bed for extra privacy (cool), but we were with 3 girls who worked and lived there and they were not only antisocial but actually rude: my friend was in the bunk above one, who told her off for moving too much. Not ok. If we had been with other paying guests the stay would've been great. Just check you're not with staff and it'll be perfect. 9/10

I want to say thank you again to the staff. They are the best crew i ever met so far on my 5 months travelling. Im sure its because they own the place and not just work there. The beds are brilliant for a hostel. Not this cheap stuff you get everywhere. And they also have filtered water and coffee for free. Can really recommend this place

• 28th Jul 2014
  • Switzerland

A bit dark inside of the room. But it was a good bed, easy to sleep. Friendly and kind staff. Cannot use a credit card. only debit card or cash. thanks for the good stay anyway.