The Closest Hostel Reviews

28 Yanghwa-ro 23-gil, Mapogu, Seoul, South Korea

My friend and I are doing an exchange program after we travelled in Seoul, so each of us had three suitcases, making the trip between the hostel and the airport very difficult. After knowing that, Rick waited for me at the Hongdae airport bus station to help carry my luggages on the day of arrival. On the last day, he went to the airport with my friend and me, helped us carry luggages again and translate during check-in and tax refund.I can't tell how grateful I feel about it. Thanks Rick!

• 21st Aug 2014
  • China

Been there done that. I have also experienced... how difficult it was. ;-) It was difficult even for a guy. Hope you have great time in Taiwan and Japan. Take care and will contact you when I visit there. lol~

Nice small and peaceful hostel in a very good location and with good service. You have a possibility to keep your room late when checking out.

I am so glad you took a good rest well in my hostel. ;-) I had to give you the private atmosphere as much as I can. Because you took a travel for a long time. I also did it and I know how difficult it is. lol~ Take care man~!

Lee is an excellent hostel keeper. Everything in the hostel are clean and well prepared. He took good care of every guest. For me, he knew that I will be alone in the hostel for 3 night (no other hostel guest at that time) so he let me to invite my friends to go to his hostel so that I wont be too lonely. He concerned about individual needs and try to fulfill if possible. He is not only the hostel keeper but also my good friend. :)

• 15th Aug 2014
  • Hong Kong

Excellent. The hostel was always nice and clean. The place had a cozy feel to it. The facilities were always well maintained. The owner was very attentive to my needs and willing to help. Definitely had a personal touch to the service. The location is really handy (just a 3 minute walk from the subway exit, maybe 8-9minute walk from the Hongdae area). Definitely worth it!

I really enjoyed my stay here. Rick, the owner, is super nice and puts a lot of extra effort in making sure that his guests enjoy themselves in Seoul. This is not a party hostel or a large hostel, so if you’re looking for an experience to get crazy, don't bother. Staying here feels like a friend’s apartment. It’s perfect if you enjoy more privacy and plan on going out most of the day. To see a more detailed review on this place and some pictures, check out my blog at www.workleavebalance.com

We also had great time with you. It is a small hostel and we would love to share our everyday with guests. Thanks again for your great review! :-)

Me and my friend stayed at The Closest Hostel for 4 nights. The hostel was very clean, had a great atmosphere, and located in an optimal location. Rick the hostel owner was fantastic host! He went above and beyond to make sure we had a great experience. The first night he took us out for dinner and whenever we had questions he helped us. For instance we wanted to watch live e-sports (all the websites were in Korean and we don't read/write Korean). He went out of his way to help us find an event.

• 3rd Aug 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Those are not difficult for us to find. ;-) It is our job to make your travel more enjoyable. We are just happy, if you are satisfied. Thanks again for your great review!

The hostel owner, Rick, is very helpful to his guests, and will go out of his way to help you if you are new to Seoul and/or don't speak Korean. There are a number of maps available in the hostel as well. Also, the location is really great--not only is it right next to the subway, it's on the train line to both airports. You can get there from the hostel in either 15 or 50 minutes depending on the airport. Just know there are a few stairs, in case you are on crutches or in a wheelchair.

• 30th Jul 2014

Great Location!

Thanks!!! :-) See you again!

Far from '100%' or 'amazing'. 'Kitchen' is a microwave, sink, fridge. 'Common room' is kitchen & hallway/reception area, desk, computer. No curtain in room.

This hostel is in such a good location. Its a 1 minute walk to the train station and a 2 minute walk to Hongdae (main area for clubs/bars/restaurants). The owner Rick also made this one of the best hostels I've been to. He made me feel so welcome even before I had arrived, has the best advice on Seoul, and will also try to make time to go out for a meal with his guests if you want to. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it to anyone.

Making guests who need those things, satisfied.... is our first goal. We will always do our best for achieving it. ;-P That is another reason why we don't get too many people. Because we cannot provide good service for that. Thanks again! Hope to see you again. :)

Rick, the owner, is very preoccupied with providing a nice staying for the guests.

• 2nd Jul 2014

I have done my best to give you a pleasant stay! Thanks for noticing! I was very happy to your second visit! I hope you enjoy your next destinations also. Take care! :-)

I spent two nights in this hostel and had a pleasant stay - the hostel is clean and quiet and I definitely got the privacy I needed (actually staying in a private room I barely met any fellow travelers... hmm :/) The hostel is very easy to find (perfect location!) and the owner was very friendly and helpful. It is definitely a good place to stay, but it lacks personality. Also the breakfast was not served in the hostel but in a café nearby- this was fine but a bit surprising.

The hostel is everyone you are expecting. Is clean and neat, you will have access to a very close metro station and is located near to one of the best areas for going out at night. The host is very attentive towards the guests, so you shouldn't have any big problem while you are touristing this amazing city.

I am very happy you are satisfied with us. ;-) Take care and enjoy your next cities! Hope we can see again in Seoul! I really appreciate your great review!

Stayed in total for 3 weeks. Had nothing to complain during that time. Would defenitly come back ^^.

• 16th Jun 2014
  • Switzerland

You are the most energetic guest ever. Party everyday for 3weeks. lol~ Review is also very simple and cool like your character, bro. Hope to see you again when you visit your relatives next year or vacation. You are always welcome! ;-)

I've been to hostels around the world and stayed in some great ones and some I don't even remember. The Closest Hostel is definitely in the former group. It ranks among the best hostels I've ever been to. Rick, the owner and operator, was always ready to help and worked his ass off to make our stay as good as possible. The rooms were bright and big. The beds were comfortable and private. The bathrooms were clean and the water pressure was good. Safe and secure with the absolute best location.

• 4th Jun 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

I am really happy that you enjoyed your staying at the closest hostel. I can do this because it is a small hostel and I don't need to worry about profit too much unlike the other big hostels. I really appreciate that you understand my view points. Thanks again for this great review! :-)

Best part of this hostel was it's helpful host. Rick speaks fluent english and was an extremely helpful guide to the city where it may be difficult to get around without knowing korean. He helped book tours, plan itineraries, and even helped order medicine from a doctor. The was no need to plan anything before arriving in korea as Rick was very helpful in pointing out which points of interest are worth going to in Seoul

Thanks for your great review! It was my pleasure to help you to organize your short trip in Seoul. I wish I had time to go watch star craft league with you. Hope you have great time in Taiwan and Europe in this travel. Take care and please don't move too fast in this trip, man. :-)

What else could I say? It's one of the best hostels I've ever been to. Strategic location, friendly and helpful Rick, and a clean environment. Will definitely go back there the next time I visit Seoul. :)

Thanks for your great review! See you in Seoul or KL again, bro. I will take care of your friends even better than you. ;-) Haha~

Rick was incredibly helpful and kind throughout my stay. The hostel was well kept and I always felt safe and secure there. It wasn't crowded or unruly so at the end of the night I could also sleep peacefully.

• 2nd May 2014

Thanks for your great review! I did my best to make your stay comfortable. lol~~ If you sent me the request email after making a reservation, I could have help you more though. ;-P Fortunately there are 2 more bed in the hostel so I could help you. Haha. Please contact me again, if you come back to Seoul! :-)

Cozy small hostel, very well organized and maintained by an awesome owner that has international outlooks. The place is absolutely "the Closest" concerning its location to the airports and one of the BEST hangout areas for young people - Hongdae area. By staying in the hostel you are guaranteed great coffee meetups, convenient transportation and shopping sprees. The owner has a great taste for shampoo :) I even bought the same one to take home with.

• 23rd Apr 2014
  • China

If you had let me know you were going to buy the shampoo, I could have found the cheapest price in the market, because you stayed here for a week.(If we buy products through internet market it is way cheaper than normal markets. lol~) We use good shampoo and body shampoo compared to the other hostels or even hotels. I am also a frequent traveler and I don't like the hostel or hotel where they use poor quality things. We use organic shower gel and one of the best shampoo in Korea. ;-P

really nice location , only 200m from hongki uni metro. whats more, the house holder Rick can speak fluent english and he is warm-hearted .

Thanks for your review! :-) It is actually 120meters from Hongik Univ. metro!^^; (The only hostel you can see the building from any exits in this area. - Sorry, I think I am using your review as a kind of promotion. haha - But It is true. lol~)