The Closest Hostel Reviews

28 Yanghwa-ro 23-gil, Mapogu, Seoul, South Korea

Great Location!

Far from '100%' or 'amazing'. 'Kitchen' is a microwave, sink, fridge. 'Common room' is kitchen & hallway/reception area, desk, computer. Nice owner but only focused on money & being a 'nice guy' - no attention to detail in the hostel. Told on arrival that we could only stay if we did NOT review the hostel. No curtain in room.

This hostel is in such a good location. Its a 1 minute walk to the train station and a 2 minute walk to Hongdae (main area for clubs/bars/restaurants). The owner Rick also made this one of the best hostels I've been to. He made me feel so welcome even before I had arrived, has the best advice on Seoul, and will also try to make time to go out for a meal with his guests if you want to. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it to anyone.

Rick, the owner, is very preoccupied with providing a nice staying for the guests.

• 2nd Jul 2014

I have done my best to give you a pleasant stay! Thanks for noticing! I was very happy to your second visit! I hope you enjoy your next destinations also. Take care! :-)

The hostel is everyone you are expecting. Is clean and neat, you will have access to a very close metro station and is located near to one of the best areas for going out at night. The host is very attentive towards the guests, so you shouldn't have any big problem while you are touristing this amazing city.

I am very happy you are satisfied with us. ;-) Take care and enjoy your next cities! Hope we can see again in Seoul! I really appreciate your great review!

Stayed in total for 3 weeks. Had nothing to complain during that time. Would defenitly come back ^^.

• 16th Jun 2014
  • Switzerland

You are the most energetic guest ever. Party everyday for 3weeks. lol~ Review is also very simple and cool like your character, bro. Hope to see you again when you visit your relatives next year or vacation. You are always welcome! ;-)

I've been to hostels around the world and stayed in some great ones and some I don't even remember. The Closest Hostel is definitely in the former group. It ranks among the best hostels I've ever been to. Rick, the owner and operator, was always ready to help and worked his ass off to make our stay as good as possible. The rooms were bright and big. The beds were comfortable and private. The bathrooms were clean and the water pressure was good. Safe and secure with the absolute best location.

• 4th Jun 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

I am really happy that you enjoyed your staying at the closest hostel. I can do this because it is a small hostel and I don't need to worry about profit too much unlike the other big hostels. I really appreciate that you understand my view points. Thanks again for this great review! :-)

Best part of this hostel was it's helpful host. Rick speaks fluent english and was an extremely helpful guide to the city where it may be difficult to get around without knowing korean. He helped book tours, plan itineraries, and even helped order medicine from a doctor. The was no need to plan anything before arriving in korea as Rick was very helpful in pointing out which points of interest are worth going to in Seoul

Thanks for your great review! It was my pleasure to help you to organize your short trip in Seoul. I wish I had time to go watch star craft league with you. Hope you have great time in Taiwan and Europe in this travel. Take care and please don't move too fast in this trip, man. :-)

What else could I say? It's one of the best hostels I've ever been to. Strategic location, friendly and helpful Rick, and a clean environment. Will definitely go back there the next time I visit Seoul. :)

Thanks for your great review! See you in Seoul or KL again, bro. I will take care of your friends even better than you. ;-) Haha~

Rick was incredibly helpful and kind throughout my stay. The hostel was well kept and I always felt safe and secure there. It wasn't crowded or unruly so at the end of the night I could also sleep peacefully.

• 2nd May 2014

Thanks for your great review! I did my best to make your stay comfortable. lol~~ If you sent me the request email after making a reservation, I could have help you more though. ;-P Fortunately there are 2 more bed in the hostel so I could help you. Haha. Please contact me again, if you come back to Seoul! :-)

Cozy small hostel, very well organized and maintained by an awesome owner that has international outlooks. The place is absolutely "the Closest" concerning its location to the airports and one of the BEST hangout areas for young people - Hongdae area. By staying in the hostel you are guaranteed great coffee meetups, convenient transportation and shopping sprees. The owner has a great taste for shampoo :) I even bought the same one to take home with.

• 23rd Apr 2014
  • China

If you had let me know you were going to buy the shampoo, I could have found the cheapest price in the market, because you stayed here for a week.(If we buy products through internet market it is way cheaper than normal markets. lol~) We use good shampoo and body shampoo compared to the other hostels or even hotels. I am also a frequent traveler and I don't like the hostel or hotel where they use poor quality things. We use organic shower gel and one of the best shampoo in Korea. ;-P

really nice location , only 200m from hongki uni metro. whats more, the house holder Rick can speak fluent english and he is warm-hearted .

Thanks for your review! :-) It is actually 120meters from Hongik Univ. metro!^^; (The only hostel you can see the building from any exits in this area. - Sorry, I think I am using your review as a kind of promotion. haha - But It is true. lol~)

The whole stay were completely smoothly, from confirming booking in advance online, and breakfast and lots of information from Rick.The location is perfect, so near airport express, metro and shopping area. And at night, the area is not noisy. Rick was nice and passionate about his job and teach us those 'must-go' places and things I can do during the visit. When we encounter any issues, we can immediate text him as we exchange phone no. The hostel is small but the personal touch is worthwhile.

• 15th Apr 2014
  • Hong Kong

I really appreciate your great review. I know you always stay hotels in Myeongdong area because of your job and friends. But please come to the hostel when you have time to visit hongdae area later. :-) Let's have a cup of coffee. I am really glad you are satisfied. Thanks again!!! :-)

The hostel owner treat us very well and guiding us to go some korean style places that we love a lot. Besides, he is very friendly. We recommand you to live in this hostel when you go Korea,

• 15th Apr 2014
  • Hong Kong

I was really glad that I could help you as much as I can. (I am still sorry for the bookmark. - Please check the name of products next time, man. Haha) Thanks for your review! :-)

The manager provides an impeccable service - he made sure that I got to see the best of South Korea. The closest is in an awesome location - within walking distance to incredible food, markets, shops, entertainment and transport - whilst still maintaining a safe and peaceful atmosphere within the hostel. It has great facilities, is very clean & safe - it has spacious comfortable beds, decent sized secured rooms, a quaint dining area, and clean bathrooms & toilet.

Excellent location and I was fortunate that made a friend with a fellow traveller from the US who knew lots about Korean culture. Hongik Univ area is awesome

Thanks for your review, man! I did my best to find travel buddies in a low season. Haha ;-P Take care!

Absolutely great hostel! It's right next to a convenience store and subway station, with many cafes in the vicinity. Yet, at night it is very quiet. The hostel is small and cosy, my room and the bathrooms were super clean The owner is a very nice person. He takes the time to explain everything you want to know, or show you around. Besides, he is really handsome and has great hair and beautiful socks! ;)

Thanks for your review especially about my appearance and socks. lol~ ;-P (I guess it is not true. Haha) I am very happy you were satisfied. I could spend time with you a lot because you stayed here for a long time for studying Korean. Thanks again about your great review. :-)

← Back to search results