The College Lawn Hotel

Good 114 Total Reviews

• USA, Male, 25-30
26th Mar 2017
4.3

I wanted to give this place the benefit of the doubt but all the negative reviews I've read on this place we pretty true. The overall cleanliness is terrible you could feel your shoes stick to the carpet as you walk to the bathroom where there was a broken toilet (out of 3) and the showers would cycle between freezing cold and ridiculously hot. The "FREE WIFI" didn't work for anyone. For $25 a night I am extremely happy I decided on only one night stay. I will never consider this hostel again.

Thanks for the Honest review. Later this year we are doing some renovations in the hostel, and it's great to know what needs fixing. Thanks again.

• USA, Male, 41+
23rd Mar 2017
4.9

Staff was great. Live music right below the rooms on Sunday~horrid! The place was a pigsty, seeing mice running around. Not my ideal atmosphere.

Thanks for the honest review. We are a Hotel first and foremost, so yes, we have Live music Sundays. The kitchen is cleaned every morning, but we rely on guests to upkeep the cleanliness during the day and to keep food out of their rooms to discourage mice. Thanks for the great staff review.

• England, Female, 25-30
27th Jan 2017
7.4

great location, not in cbd but close to trams and bus stops to cbd and St kilda. cleanliness had a little to improve on, kitchen wasn't kept very well but new renovations were taking place. comfortable beds and nice guests, many were long timers and had jobs and stayed out etc. bar and lounge seemed to have an 'old working mens club' vibe rather than a fun social atmosphere. staff really helpful and friendly and laundry was cheap with free dryer usage.

Thanks for the Great review. The kitchen is tidied most mornings but it is also up to the guests to clean up after themselves as we do not have a maid service. You must have found yourself in the Public Bar, where a lot of the clientele is older men, but we also have a Beer garden which is open until 10pm and a restaurant and lounge bar, that are also open late. Thanks again :)

• New Zealand, Male, 18-24
16th Jan 2017

Great location , friendly staff and nice bar downstairs. Would highly recommend

Thanks for the Great review :)

• Australia, Male, 18-24
16th Jan 2017
3.7

I was so shocked when I arrived at this place! The hostel had no atmosphere and was SO dirty, it was horrific. There were rats in the kitchen, mould in the showers and the walls, the rooms also smelt. I have never checked out of a place early but I had to leave this hostel as I couldn't stay there for another 2 nights!? I wanted to stay here as the price was cheap, however I soon realised that it was low for a reason! One positive is that the staff were very friendly and kind.

Thanks so much for the feedback. We use this to improve the Hostel for future guests. I am sorry that the hostel was dirty when you arrived. The kitchen is cleaned most mornings but it is also up to the guests to do their own dishes and clean up after themselves. Thanks for the great staff review also :)

3rd Jan 2017
6.0

Very average. The location was decent. Very few power outlets in each room. The assignments of bed didn't really work, since they assigned other people to my bed twice which caused confusion,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hostel. I'm sorry that there are not many power points in the rooms, the hotel is over 150 years old and with guests constantly staying with us it is hard to update the rooms. It is on our to do list though.

• Netherlands, Male, 18-24
9th Dec 2016
7.4

Prahran is a really nice area to stay in. There are a lot of bars and restaurants on Chapel st, but also in Greville Street it is nice. The Hostel is decent, bathroom is clean, the rooms look a bit old. The hostel is above the pub/restaurant, which means loud music on Friday and Saturday. The venue is cool, good food, lovely beers and with their weekdeals not expensive. The minus in this place is the kitchen, it is not clean, there are no plates or bowls. Staff is friendly though!

• USA, Female, 18-24
5th Dec 2016
6.3

The bed was fine and easy enough to sleep on. The staff was nice and accommodating. The location was alright, but if you plan to do anything in Melbourne the money you save by choosing the cheaper hostel you will spend anyway on public transit or taxi. It was also really annoying that the washing machine was broken the entire time I was there.

Thanks for taking the time to review the Hostel. We use feedback to constantly improve our facilities. I'm sorry that the washing machine was out of order whilst you were staying with us, but if you decide to come back next time there is a brand new one ready to use :)

3rd Dec 2016

Ceapest hostel I have stayied in and also the nices/cleanest but others I have stayied with thought it to be their worst ever