The Corkman Irish Pub Reviews

160 Leicester Street, Carlton, Melbourne, Australia

The atmosphere at the Corkman is great. Its a great place to stay in a great part of town. Was made to fell welcome and the manager was very helpful. Good job guys.

• 3rd Mar 2015
  • Zimbabwe

First of all, had a nightmare getting to the hostel from southern cross station, hostel needs some tlc so bad, locks on bedroom doors dont work, 2 showers for 28 people is not good, no space to move in kitchen fridges filthy lots of long termers living there thinking its their home! Beds are not comfy and pillows hard! Pay extra stay somewhere else!!

Pub itself seemed nice but not somewhere I would stay for longer than a night.

Beds aren't made when you get there. Quiet location. No soap in bathroom sink. Can't eat or drink in rooms.

Was booked in for two nights at first, changed my mind as the manager wasn't helpful or nice at all! Very bad showers not all of them work and it was very dirty! Also No wifi!!

• 12th Feb 2015

It's hostel people so don't expect that you're staying at a Hilton. The location is prime for those trying to explore Melbourne. Close to any restaurants/banks/shopping centers that you may need. Also, tram runs real close that can take you to any place in short amounts of time. We've stayed at other hostels and this one seemed to attract friendly backpackers more than others. Enjoy.

• 11th Feb 2015

Out biggest problem was the management. The guy had overbooked our room and tied to move us midday whilst we were at work- didn't seem to understand that this was not possible due to work commitments. From then on he had a personal vendetta against us, made obvious one morning when he stormed into our room whilst we were changing and demanded to know which one of us had left the coffee cup unwashed (we don't drink coffee.) Other guests were lovely but manager made our stay very uncomfortable.

Just to clear things up, I asked one of you if you could move room, and you said that it was fine, i made it clear that you did not have to move, i guess there must have been some miss comunication between the two of you. I told you that i did not want to ask you, but we only had beds available in the female only dorm and two people wanted to extend. I did not demand to know who left the cup, I asked, how am I to know that you dont drink coffee?

Small yet friendly hostel, great to meet people here, you don't feel like just a number as with some bigger hostels. Very short walk to local attractions. Decent beds and storage. 2 showers which could be improved as the 3rd is broken. Kitchen is adequate yet could be improved with larger or additional refrigerator. Always plenty of toilet tissue, hand soap, free coffee and tea bags. Overall I would recommend if you are looking for a quieter smaller hostel that still has a nice atmosphere.

how bout cleaning the rooms up a bit?

*The manager was moody, and actually made it difficult to use the kitchen facilities when I encountered him in there by blocking my path even moreso with his chair. *When I accidentally locked myself out of the dorm in the middle of the night I heard a mouse in the kitchen while I was waiting for someone to get up and let me back in. *The linen was not available on arrival. It's in a great location, but my rating dropped due to the service received and the obvious attitude of annoyance.

• 24th Jan 2015

No wifi! Average in everything, only two showers/3 toilets. Not too big, so pretty quiet. But no wifi!

This hostel is not good. The "manager" is the most unfriendly person I have encountert in a hostel. He gives you the feeling that you are not welcome and cares more about his videogames which he playes all the times than about his customers. Also it's not very clean. Would not recommend this hostel at all.

• 18th Jan 2015

Stayed a week and enjoyed it very much. The staff is great, beds are comfy and there´s a nice homely feel about the place. Since it´s pretty small you will soon get to know everyone who stays there. Kitchen is well equipped. Would stay here again!

The Hostel was very small with only 3 dorms, one kitchen and 3 bathrooms. I liked it to live there, because it was like a living commuity and you knew all the people after one day. The atmosphere was nice and the tram and aldi were pretty close to it, as well as the Queen Victoria Market. Even though it could have been a little bit cleaner and the beds were extremely unconfortable.

• 10th Nov 2014