The Cranky Croc Hostel Reviews

Calle 12d No. 3-46, La Candelaria, Bogota, Colombia

Very nice hostel close to museums, city center

I stayed here back in 2011 and it was great. However, this time the hostel was under a major renovation. I booked a 4-bed dorm which turned out to be a dark, cold, closet-like space(there were no ladders to aid in getting up onto the top bunks)in what appeared to be part of another building accessed through an open area adjacent to a public parking lot. There were unfinished bathrooms and common areas filled with construction debris and blue tarps. The shower had zero water pressure.

• 18th Jan 2014

Awesome hostel! Really amazing amenities and a cool vibe. Andy the owner is an absolute star as well as all the other staff working there. Everything you could want in a hostel.

Nice vibe in the hostel. Good place to meet people

Great staff! They have a really nice set up which helped ease us into our colombia experience and the common area was the ideal place to meet what seemed like a lot of really nice and interesting travellers. We had a great party night there with jose and fernando from the team who gave us real insight into what it means to be a bogotan ;) wish we ccould have stayed longer with our new fr frfriends. You should stay here if you are in bogota

• 4th Jan 2014

brilliant hostel, frendly& helpfull staff, ,beds are very comfy, great location , Bogota is great city to visit make sure to do bike tour

Very satisfied; staff were nice, very well-behaved, well taken care of pets (dog & cat), good breakfasts and dinners available for cheap. Some rooms are louder than others (near common areas). I had to make multiple changes to my reservation and the staff were very responsive and accommodating. I'd definitely stay here again.

Staff were helpful, comfy bed and liked the lockers with lights and chargers. Good location. Kitchen bit slow in morning I ordered breakfast but after half an hour had to cancel as took to long and needed to leave so can't comment on food.

A good option in Bogota, right in La Candelaria. Staff is really friendly and helpful, there is a restaurant and a kitchen as well. Hostel was under renovation so should be even better after...

Arriving at the hostel we were greeted by a lovely receptionist who was very helpful and gave us advice on where to go around the city. However, our experience at the hostel was ruined a day later by a different receptionist who tried to charge us for an extra night when we were 20 minutes late to check out. I was incredibly ill and had slept through my alarm, i have never been spoken to so rudely in my life. Also the hostel was under intense renovations and the construction was unpleasant.

An excellent hostel being further improved through the upgrading of bathrooms

The common area with a restaurant makes this a very good place for single travelers who want to meet new people. Reading lights for all and lit locker for your bag just Adds to an already good experience.

• 17th Dec 2013
  • Norway

the only thing that was bad is the address we asked for a new hostel/hotel in villa de leyva. We got Villa Real. We had to pay a deposit to a bank in Bogota of 100.000.- in advance. When we arrived Villa Real was untidy, with small 'animals' in the bed and in the shower. So we left immediately, complaining. We foud a very nice place in Villa de Leyva which was cheaper. The Villa Real did not give back the 100.000.-. We got help by Tourist Inform. and the police. Finally, we got the money back.

• 16th Dec 2013
  • Switzerland
  • Couple, 41+

Hostel was good. Very clean, very good showers! Great kitchen. Only disadvantages: There was no fireplace (but it is advertised here, even at the pictures). The rooms are good, but don't like as good as at the pictures. That's why I can't give a really good rating. PS: In the late afternoon or in the evening you can't get coffee (despite of that fact that free coffee is also advertised here).

It was my second time at the Crancky Croc, because I really enjoyed my stay last time. However, the hostel i under construction and it feels now that there is not enough communal places as it was before. Another problem, in the communal areas, it's really freezing, as if you were sitting outside and sometimes, you have no other solution than just go to your bed to be warm. Shame, I hope the works will bring better organization. The rest was great.

Great front desk support! Staff was kind and patient offering directions and tour information. The beds were clean and comfortable. Warm duvet for the cold Bogota nights. AND most importantly HOT showers! Not those semi warm electric shower, but steamy water! I loved this place. Highly recommend.

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed at. Great value for money. Dorms have huge lockers with power inside. Staff is the best (both Marcelas, Jennifer - awesome!!). Breakfast is cheap and tasty in the hostel. Only a few blocks from the main drag with all the shops and tasty food. Museums and other attractions are nearby as well. Highly recommend! One thing I should mention - construction is happening at the hostel right now which limits some of the facilities. Not a big deal in my opinion.

Great hostel in the old part of the city that is close to a lot of attractions. Extremely friendly and helpful staff. Good place to meet people without been in a party hostel. Comfortable beds as well.

This was my 2nd time staying at the Cranky and some of the staff seemed a bit annoyed. I thought maybe it was just not their day and it's going to be better, but no: same annoyance the next day. Last time I was there, staff was friendly, fun to talk to and easy going. Also, there's construction work going on and it would've been a nice courtesy to give a discount.

Good hostel. Easy to meet people at the table, they sell beer too and its pretty cheap. Most of the staff is really friendly and will go out occasionaly. It is open aired and doesnt have heat, like most hostels in Bogota, but has great comforters to keep you warm at night. I felt pretty safe in the district as well and very close to a main street.