The Dictionary Hostel, Shoreditch, London Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Everything about my stay was pleasurable. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay, including the friendly and helpful staff, tight security and free earplugs! Would definitely stay again.

• 4th Feb 2016

Good place to stay, well located! The staff can be a bit arrogant but nothing that you can't manage! The kitchen is good as well and the common areas really nice! The breakfast definitely could be better but you can live with that! If you are in doubt about a place to go I would definitely go there, for me, I would try a different one next time in London

Cons. At night it becomes amateur hour. Several bars in the area. 1 attached to the hostile that is open until 3 am. What that means for you, expect zero sleep. The noise from the bar next door playing club music until 3 am was aweful. Many I'm my room could sleep. Wearing ear buds does not help as the floor and walls vibrated from the base. It is literally attached to the hostel.Fire alarm went off 3 times during the nite. I'm a 31 year old male.

Recently stayed at the Dictionary with two girlfriends for a weekend. We stayed in a 10 bed mixed dorm. Everything about our stay was wonderful except that our room (W) only had 4 outlets total. We asked the staff for a plug strip but didn't get one. Other than that the hostel was great! AMAZING location!!

thanks for a good stay - comfy bed -

• 19th Jan 2016

this was my second stay at the dictionary hostel and it was just as amazing, if not better than the first time! This hostel is in the best location in London, hands down. The hostel itself is amazing and the rooms are very spacious and are cleaned daily. The staff is SO amazing too, and there is always something going on downstairs or at the bar and always other travelers to socialize with. I'm planning another trip in March and am already looking to book my room here!

rooms smelled really bad. dirty rooms. people got stuff stolen. random annoying swing in the middle of the room.

• 31st Dec 2015

Hi there. Thank so much for taking the time to review us. I'm sorry to hear your experience was so negative. That sucks :/ Our rooms are cleaned daily but I will definitely pass on your comments to the cleaning team at our meeting. With regard to safety, we offer a secure environment with a locked front door, 24hr reception, CCTV, security door before the bedrooms, keycard entry to rooms and lockable security cages under each bed for your luggage. We do kindly request that guests make use of these facilities, particularly when staying in shared dorms, and this includes taking sensible precautions such as locking away any valuables in your security cage (you are free to use your own lock or to buy one from reception). Sorry to hear you didn't like our swing. Most people love it and we think it's kind of fun, but apologies if it's not to your taste. Hopefully you'll come back and give us another try in future. Thanks

Great facilities in a great location! The hostel was always reasonably clean - the staff did a great job considering it's a fairly decent size hostel. I was here over New Years and I was worried it would be too much of a party hostel and noisy but I didn't have any issues with that. however the atmosphere wasn't that great - lots of big groups which made it hard for a solo traveller but that isn't the hostel's issue. I really liked the area and thought it was good value for the money.

I was happy with the hostel however SOME of the reception staff were disappointing and clueless. I would double check all transactions if you decide to stay here as the staff almost overcharged me due to lack of common sense (the manager included). Breakfast was not worth waking up for. The rooms were fine. Translate bar next door was the highlight of my stay. Great/Cheap food & good vibes.

Hey there. Thanks for taking the time to review us. Sorry for the confusion with your booking - the issue is that your deposit is non-refundable and not received by us (it is retained by Hostelworld), so if you wish to cancel a night of your stay, it's unfortunately not possible to use credit from the deposit for that night towards paying the balance of the rest of your stay (as per the Hostelworld T&Cs). Sorry about that :/ I'm glad to hear you had such a great time in our bar though and I do hope you'll come back and give us another try in future. All the best!

Due to where it is located, it has a different atmosphere from most hostels. Instead of feeling like a travelers half-way home, it felt more like a crash-pad for those who were in the area to party. As this is not why I was travelling, it felt somewhat uncomfortable to me. For the first time ever, I felt awkward staying in a hostel. However, the facilities (kitchen, bathrooms, etc.) were quite nice and it was in an easy location for accessing most of London.

Good location, staff was nice but seemed a bit overwhelmed at times. The private room booked was nice but extremely small. Even though we were on the top floor we still experienced a fair bit of noise from people in the other rooms going up and down the hall to the toilet/shower area--the walls and floors are pretty thin! Decent stay but I probably wouldn't stay here again.

Great location! I loved the hipster neighborhood and bars! The hostel was welcoming and had a great staff.

Nice hostel in a hip part of town. One receptionist was a bit spacey and enjoyed hanging out with friends more than helping guests but the breakfast was good (4 types of cereal and milk, toast with peanut butter, nutella, honey) canned fruit, juice.

Location is a far from london central.

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. You are right, we are located in East London rather than Central London, as is clearly advertised on our page. We are situated in the heart of London's most interesting & alternative neighbourhood, Shoreditch, and this is one of our major selling points. London's a big city, but we are still located in Zone 1, only 5 mins from the Overground and 7 mins from the tube meaning all that Central London has to offer is also within easy reach. Cheers!

The good: Excellent location and the brochure they give is quite useful with things to do. Fantastic perks like free breakfast and 20% off. The bad: Wifi is super super slow. The towels are awful so definitely bring your own. The staff at the front desk was kind of rude when I was checking in because they thought I was part of a big group (which even if I was, wtf?). Room C is super super hot. Nearly impossible to sleep. I heard the other rooms are better. Maybe that's true.

Great area, great staff, great room.

Neat place, friendly staff but nonplussed sockets in the beds!

I don't have enough space here to express everything, but overall: -extremely loud and smelly room (I stayed in the room T which is situated just next to the local club) -dirty toilets -breakfast available from 8:20am (I was waiting from 8am) -drunk people everywhere -weird folks in the room (one of the guys randomly stole the duvet from another bed which was already taken!! and the lad who came back at night to sleep in this bed was extremely confused) Ear plugs are not enough for this place!

Thanks for your review. We do appreciate your comments. We're located in the middle of Shoreditch among London's best bars and do have our own bar as well. As such, there is a certain amount of noise which does occur. However, we limit the bar's speakers, close communal areas at night and offer free earplugs to minimise any disturbance to guests. We clean top to bottom every day, but if you ever need extra cleaning, just let reception know and our on-site team will be there in a jiffy. Thanks :)

Nice 1 Euro hostel bed. Thanks hostelworld.

Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed the €1 bed promo incl. breakfast. I'm surprised we only managed 4 out of 5 for value given the crazy offer, but I suppose there is always room for improvement ;) Hope to see you in Shoreditch again soon - hopefully we can do even better next time! :) All the best with the rest of your travels.

Great place to meet people. In an artsy/hipster part of the city, which is great for culture, going out, dining, etc but if you're in London for cite seeing, not super close to sites but easy tube ride to get there. Good atmosphere with tons of social people and nice kitchen, bar, and cafe. The bathroom situations were weird with only one shower in a room of 12 and only one toilet on the entire floor. Overall nice place to stay!

Thanks for your comments :) We're so glad you enjoyed your stay. Most rooms are en-suite, but yours has an en-suite shower and then the toilet is located just outside the door. There are also a series of communal toilets and showers spread throughout the building which you can use too if there's ever a queue for the en-suite :) Glad to hear you made the most of all Shoreditch has to offer! Hope to see you again soon.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5