The Dictionary Hostel, Shoreditch, London Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

I loved staying in the Dictionary. The rooms were very clean and most people were respectful of others and very friendly. Most of the staff were superb and nothing was a problem. However, one staff member shut down the TV during my time there as she was busy hammering leather next to the TV. When we asked if we could watch it she looked irritated and refused keeping her own laptop blaring with music she liked instead. Breakfast was cool and everything else was perfect.

Thanks so much for your review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Sorry to hear about the incident you described - that's certainly not the standard that I expect from our staff. That team member has now left us and I'm happy to say that is the exception and not the rule. I'm so glad you enjoyed breakfast though and had an otherwise great stay. That's what I like to hear! I do hope you'll come back again. All the best :)

They don't have booking and pay night by night, so just plan exactly how long are you staying or make a booking for a longer time.

I only intended to stay for a few nights, but extended my stay! The staff is really really great and friendly and the location is perfect. The bar next door, affiliated with the hostel, is great as well!--good food and discount with your room key! Would definitely recommend.

• 13th Nov 2015

Great location, good support... Really recommend ,,, Have fan and nice atmosfere!!!!

This place is nice enough if you're staying in London. The only issues I had with it was the check out time was strictly 10am. I got food poisoning and asked reception if I could lie in for another hour before I had to go catch a flight because I was unwell and I was told no but checkin wasn't until 2. I understand cleaning needed to be done but that was a bit harsh. The place is very clean but you can't sit up in the lower bunks because they're too small also. Staff are nice and helpful

• 12th Nov 2015

Excellent location, great vibe and atmosphere, friendly staff and people

Close to lots of good bars, making it a decent base to explore the area from. rooms are reasonably comfortable, showers could be bigger

The dictionary was in an amazing location. Super trendy shoreditch with lots to discover from markets to bars. The hostel itself was okay. The room I was in had no windows and got extremely stuffy and boiling hot overnight even in the fall weather. The kitchen was nice and the hostel was clean. Overall decent stay.

My stay there was awesome! Got to meet lots of different and nice people, the neighbourhood in which it is located is the coolest and the staff was very nice.

Stayed here in a group of 8 for my 21st as we wanted to go out in shoreditch and it was great value for money no curfew made it brilliant for a night out! Breakfast isn't from the god but with our hangovers toast was toast! Would recommend and stay here again for sure!

• 26th Oct 2015

I would definitely book to stay at this hostel again. The staff were very helpful and the room was very clean and spacious. There is a secure spot under the beds to lock your bags into when you're not there. There are plenty of bathrooms and they are clean. I loved my stay here

Although staff, cleanliness etc was excellent. The noise levels from the road outside was dreadful and kept me up most the night.

• 20th Oct 2015

Thanks for your review! Glad you found the staff & cleaning to be so great :) We have a really central location amongst all of Shoreditch's best clubs, bars and restaurants. As a result, there can be some noise from the road outside. We do everything we can to mitigate this, including offering free earplugs & closing communal areas of the hostel at night. We've also replaced 10 of the windows on the front with modern, double glazed, noise cancelling ones which should help. Hope you'll come again

Good value for a great location. Good service as well.

• 19th Oct 2015

It's a cool hostel and the atmosphere is really friendly especially for youth. The bad point is the noise because when you sleep in a room with 16 people you always hear the noise of the door when people come in and come out from the room during the night. The best point is the breakfast it's perfect !

• 18th Oct 2015

This hostel was a great time a great place to meet friendly travelers, the staff is great and everyone is so nice and helpful. Great place and I would stay here again.

Not a party hostel. Everyone in my room was in bed by 9pm. So it was impossible to even get ready to go out because they would complain if you turned on the lights.....imagine getting back at 2am .....

• 15th Oct 2015

The wifi was rubbish The bedroom was loud as people where drinking outside in the common area until 3am I wouldn't stay here again

Pros: Great city location – tube, trains and sightseeings are easily reachable by foot. Cons: Upper beds didn't have their own sockets and lights, what produced a lot of inconvenience. Cleanliness was not very good.

• 12th Oct 2015
  • Russia

This place would be fine for a brief stay - the location is great and the prices quite reasonable with good facilities. I stayed for about six nights and although most of my stay was comfortable I got sick of it very quickly. The breakfasts are almost always overly crowded, common room often is crowded and wi-fi cutting in/out and it was sometimes a pain to ask anything at reception because there were either too busy or the system was slow to process things.

Hostel was very nice, despite of the fact that it is located next to train bridge I didn't hear any trains. Staff is very helpful and speaks various languages. They also let us leave our lugage in the hostel before check in and after check out. Everything is accurate the price :)

• 11th Oct 2015