The Dictionary Hostel, Shoreditch, London Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Pros: Great city location – tube, trains and sightseeings are easily reachable by foot. Cons: Upper beds didn't have their own sockets and lights, what produced a lot of inconvenience. Cleanliness was not very good.

• 12th Oct 2015
  • Russia

This place would be fine for a brief stay - the location is great and the prices quite reasonable with good facilities. I stayed for about six nights and although most of my stay was comfortable I got sick of it very quickly. The breakfasts are almost always overly crowded, common room often is crowded and wi-fi cutting in/out and it was sometimes a pain to ask anything at reception because there were either too busy or the system was slow to process things.

Hostel was very nice, despite of the fact that it is located next to train bridge I didn't hear any trains. Staff is very helpful and speaks various languages. They also let us leave our lugage in the hostel before check in and after check out. Everything is accurate the price :)

• 11th Oct 2015
  • Slovakia

terrace outside the 16. share is megaaaa loud

The staff are super friendly, perhaps a bit understaffed, generally clean & beds comfy, showers a bit grimy. Good atmosphere; shared kitchen isn't large but nice space and you are allowed to cook! There is a communal lounge & a attached bar which turns into a club at night also attached coffee shop to have a coffee with your breakfast (which is included)! Good place for meeting people and loved shoreditch! 5-10 min walk from Liverpool Station but bus will drop you 50 m from hostel. Will be back!

• 10th Oct 2015

Our stay at The Dictionary was alltogether very good. The place is really cool and well designed, with lots of useful facilities (I would only recommend they provide small lights to each dorm bed + easier access to electric sockets as there were only 4 in our 6-beds dorm and weekend had to take turns in charging our phones). It's only 15 mins from Liverpool St Station and right in the middle of Shoreditch which is one of the trendiest spots in London.I totally recommend it!

It was the first time I'd stayed in a hostel alone so I was a bit nervous but it was a great experience and I'd definitely do it again. The place was clean, welcoming, and lots of good facilities (eg. free shower gel/bagels (!)). My room was good apart from one aggressive 40ish y/o Irish man that had the bed next to mine and made some scary comments regarding the swing in the room and I felt unsafe while sleeping. Also the cage under my bed had no lid! Thankfully I could carry my valuables.

• 8th Oct 2015

Great hostel met some amazing people from around the world and their was a sense of brotherly love amongst people. The staff were very friendly and the location was inner city. The sheets and facilities are cleaned daily and their is a secure inner door to the residence. However, you do need to be a seasoned hosteller to stay here as this is a party hostel, space is limited and it can get intense. I did however, get a great nights sleep but I am used to big cities and I will be back!

Great Hostel. All the staff were friendly and helpful, it was very clean (including the showers). I felt very safe and secure. The location was great! Easy walking distance to two stations (Old Street & Shoreditch High Street), with lots of bars and pubs, and restaurants close-by. The attached café/pub was great for a hot breakfast. Highly recommend!

• 6th Oct 2015

The rooms were considerably spacious, even in the 6 bed dorm. Kitchen is great, possibly one of the best we have seen - 3 seperate double stoves and lots of bench space, as well as multiple sinks so several people can cook at the same time! The free breakfast is super simple, but has everything you need (but don't necessarily want to buy) such as bread, cereal and milk, buy some eggs/avo and it's perfect. They also supply ample toasters and kettles do you don't have to wait!

I would defiantly recommend staying at this hostel and my next trip back to London will be staying here again. First of all the location is amazing! The area is close to great cafes, bars and markets, as well as Liverpool station (easy to get to all main tourist attractions). The hostel was very clean and the kitchen had great facilities which was handy making all meals at the hostel to save money. The rooms were spacious, the only downfall was that there were very limited power points.

Showers were pretty small, but clean. I slept on the top bunk and it sounded like people were walking on my head. Thank god for ear plugs.

In London this is about as good as it gets. Great location, good vibe, clean, comfy beds, very basic but everything you need. For this price you won't find much better.

I liked the atmosphere, very fun and welcoming. But it takes so much time to get anything done at the front desk. If there is even a line of three people wanting to check in, you'll spend 10 minutes in line. The staff was very nice but very very slow. The room set-up is also a bit confusing - it's like a maze trying to find your room, especially if it is near the end of the alphabet. But overall, a good experience.

Really good Hostel with friendly staff and a good vibe. Also, pub discounts is a bonus.

• 29th Sep 2015
  • New Zealand

Thank you so much! My friends and I had a great time staying with you. Thanks to those who gave us advice on London clubs and such on Saturday night!! Best, Danielle

• 24th Sep 2015

I spent a night in this hostel, as sometimes I sleep here for the location. The hostel in good in a lovely area for young people, Shoreditch, East End London. Just had a bad thing, when I ve been to sleep a found someone else sleeping in the bed where I should sleep and I ve been move in another room at 1:30am. More security need it in thi hostel

Thanks for the review. Glad you love the location so much. We do give everyone bed markers to help make it obvious whose bed is whose, but, you're right, sometimes some of your fellow backpackers are so eager to get into bed that they accidentally get into one that's already taken. Whoops! Whenever this happens, we always do whatever we can to help sort the situation. Rest assured though that this is not a security issue, since all dorms have key card entry & there's a security door too. Thanks

Do not go there on you own please!

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. However, I would have to disagree with you ;) There are loads of activities for solo travellers and the hostel is a great place to pick up plenty of new friends, whether in the bar, on the pub crawl, doing the street art walking tour or just cooking in the big communal kitchen. We try to make everyone feel welcome and there are activities to sort all interests. Hopefully you'll come back and give us another try. :) Cheers

Immediately liked the vibe of the hostel! Great location, cool rooms, nice people (mostly, except for obnoxious drunk Dutch guys loudly returning from a night out at 3 in the morning, but that was only one night, fortunately). Only drawback is that I stayed in a ten bed dorm, and there were a grand total of TWO electrical sockets. That's pretty lame. But that's really a small detail - loved it otherwise!

Hey there. Thanks for the feedback :) Glad you had such a great stay. I am looking into the shortage of power points in your room, so thank you for bringing it to our attention. Glad you loved it so much other than that - can't wait to have you back! Cheers

The atmosphere was great for partying, maybe not so much if you want to actually sleep. It's located right above this awesome bar so it makes sense. The rooms were a little stuffy, but I made so many new friends and had such a blast that it was totally worth it. I'd probably stay there again!