The Dictionary Hostel, Shoreditch, London Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

The hostel was really noisy and the showers and bathrooms were crowd and never available for use. The hostel decided to put in new windows in the room I was staying so I wasn't allowed into the room between 10am and 8pm one day, which is just completely unacceptable. The staff was friendly and fairly helpful/sympathetic. I just wouldn't recommend staying there if you want to sleep and stay clean.

• 17th Sep 2015

Hi there. Thanks for the review and sorry to hear about your issues. The window work was not anticipated for that day, but in order to get it completed in the day, we unfortunately had to let the builders have exclusive use of the room for that time period. My apologies - it was a one off. Most of our rooms have en-suite bathrooms, but we also have 7 communal showers and many more toilets around the building which you are welcome to use too. Hopefully you'll come back and give us another try.

Had a great stay here! The staff are super happy, friendly and helpful, there's a massive board with suggestions for sightseeing and bar hopping in Shoreditch. The hostels like a rabbit warren, heaps of rooms and stairs but manageable. My room was fairly stuffy and humid after everyone had showered, but lack of ventilation is probably the only downer!

Woop woop... 100%! Thanks so much :) I will look if there's anything we can do in your dorm to improve the ventilation - we appreciate the feedback. Glad you found our staff so friendly and helpful. That's what we like to hear! Come back soon - we can't wait to have you back!

Great hostel for the price, minus the lack of plug points (4 in a room of 10 is ridiculous) can't complain. Insane location

Glad you loved the location! Sorry about the minimal plugs in that room - I'm looking into it. Hope you'll come back soon :)

Grea location really enjoyed my stay.

Thanks! Hope to see you again soon!

Loud loud loud. They give out free ear plugs for a reason. You can hear everything that goes on in this hostel. I heard someone unzip their bag in another room. It wasn't an issue for me but when I checked in 2 of the 4 beds in the room had not been made up after everyone had checked out. Didn't seemed to be cleaned after every stay.

Thanks for the review. Sorry to hear about your problems. We clean top to bottom every day and the sheets are of course changed after every stay. All beds should be made in time for check in. Occasionally there may be a few left due to late check outs or last minute changes of plans - but we have a full time head cleaner who can sort any such issues in a jiffy ;) I wish my hearing was as good as yours - in any case, as you say, we offer free earplugs to help everyone get a great night's Zzzzs :)

great hostel

Short but sweet! Thanks so much :)

Very happy with my stay, and would stay again. The only issue I found was that when most guests were gone during the day, the internet was very very good. In the evenings however when most guests had returned and were around, the internet lost reliability with very significant packet loss. It may be the case that the equipment gets overloaded with the number of devices and active connections and starts dropping data. Anyway, thanks

Hey there! Thanks for the review :) You're correct, the bandwidth available has to be shared between all devices connected to the network. We do limit individual bandwidth so that someone streaming an entire season of Game of Thrones doesn't end up hogging all the juice, but there will be a certain reduction in speed at times when there are more people logged on (eg in the evenings). You should still be able to check emails, facebook & whatsapp with ease though :) Glad you enjoyed your stay!

I personally loved this hostel it was awesome. Soon as I waked in people came up on me asking what I was doing and if I wanted to do things. There bar has great deals and the staff and bar tenders keep the drinks flowing. Would set stay again

Woo hoo! Thanks for the great review :) Come back soon!

Party hostel, party hostel, party hostel, enough said. If you want to sleep at all this will not be possible, I suppose I am reviewing the area more than the hostel here, everyone here wants to get drunk do drugs and not sleep. That said, the beds are comfortable, the showers are fine and the kitchen is very useful, I love Shoreditch but I also love sleeping and after three nights here I was an absolute zombie.

Thanks for your review :) You're right, our hostel is located among all the best bars & clubs in Shoreditch, so it's very busy & there's certainly plenty of partying if that's your thing (NB we have a 100% no drugs policy). That said, there is loads to do in the area besides partying (shops, galleries, street food, street art, markets) and we offer free earplugs to anyone who wants them, so it should always be possible to get a great night's Zzzzs and head out to see the area fresh and rested.

Great location, a lot of cool places to go around, very friendly staff and very clean.

• 1st Sep 2015
  • Estonia

Thanks so much! Come back soon :)

Came by myself, had fun, met some cool people, can't complain. Being able to lock your stuff under your bed was nice. Only stayed for a night.

We enjoyed our stay at The Dictionary. Our dorm room was comfortable, and our bathroom was clean and spacious. The hostel vibe is great with the great bar next door!

Hands down the best hostel I've been in. I can think of no faults! 100% recommend staying here.

It was like a maze getting to my room. I preferred this hostel when it was smaller. The wifi barely worked. Love the location.

Fun hostel in a good area of London. Would stay here again.

Good: Location! Shoreditch is great for going out at night, and we also found a lot of cool places for brunch the next day! Price Facilities: kitchen, cafe/laundry/bar next door Staff. The people at the front desk were always really helpful and efficient. Bad: The room. I was in the largest (cheapest) room available, and it was really hot, loud and dirty. We had a stinky guy in the room the first night and the lack of ventilation didn't help with that (but that isn't really the hostel's fault)

This hostel is in one of the best areas. We loved Shoreditch and everything it had to offer. Atmosphere wasn't that great but that has more to do than the people staying there than the hostel itself. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

One can not complain. A clean bed and safe environment for 20 quid a night.

Nice little hostel in a great location, with plenty of nightlife around the place. Staff were helpful and eager to help. Be aware that it can get noisy at night if that's a problem for you.

• 12th Aug 2015

I really enjoyed my stay. I think the only real issue was the kitchen rules. From signs it seemed that the kitchen opened at 7am and closed at 1am. But I was in there at around 10:30am one day eating my breakfast and got yelled at because the kitchen was apparently closed. So clearer rules about the kitchen would have been nice.

• 11th Aug 2015