The Dictionary Hostel, Shoreditch, London Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Could have been better. Great location, lovely staff, comfy beds! The cleanliness was not great in my bathroom and my room had a high degree of fluctuation when it came to the temperature. Also people in my dorm would keep leaving the door locked open so anyone could get in, on top of that the cages under the beds were not very secure. It was easy to be able to fit your whole arm in even with a padlock. Overall I'm not sure I could recommend this hostel, but I do know I would not stay there agan

• 5th Feb 2016

Loved this hostel. Shoreditch is an awesome district to stay in. Great cafes and pubs.The staff was super friendly and helpful with all my questions. The location is a 15 minute walk to the nearest underground station and from there you can catch most of the lines. Westminster in particular is about 15 minutes on the Tube and that takes you to Big Ben, West Minster Abbey and the London Eye. From that area it's also very easy to get a hop on hop off bus tour.

• 5th Feb 2016

Awesome staff- super friendly!! Great location- so worth it!

• 4th Feb 2016

Everything about my stay was pleasurable. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay, including the friendly and helpful staff, tight security and free earplugs! Would definitely stay again.

• 4th Feb 2016

Good place to stay, well located! The staff can be a bit arrogant but nothing that you can't manage! The kitchen is good as well and the common areas really nice! The breakfast definitely could be better but you can live with that! If you are in doubt about a place to go I would definitely go there, for me, I would try a different one next time in London

Cons. At night it becomes amateur hour. Several bars in the area. 1 attached to the hostile that is open until 3 am. What that means for you, expect zero sleep. The noise from the bar next door playing club music until 3 am was aweful. Many I'm my room could sleep. Wearing ear buds does not help as the floor and walls vibrated from the base. It is literally attached to the hostel.Fire alarm went off 3 times during the nite. I'm a 31 year old male.

Recently stayed at the Dictionary with two girlfriends for a weekend. We stayed in a 10 bed mixed dorm. Everything about our stay was wonderful except that our room (W) only had 4 outlets total. We asked the staff for a plug strip but didn't get one. Other than that the hostel was great! AMAZING location!!

thanks for a good stay - comfy bed -

• 19th Jan 2016

this was my second stay at the dictionary hostel and it was just as amazing, if not better than the first time! This hostel is in the best location in London, hands down. The hostel itself is amazing and the rooms are very spacious and are cleaned daily. The staff is SO amazing too, and there is always something going on downstairs or at the bar and always other travelers to socialize with. I'm planning another trip in March and am already looking to book my room here!

Aucun probleme mis a part qu'il n'y avait pas de plugs dans la chambre du moins juste 2 pour une chambre de 8 ! Et une auberge sans ascenseur remplie d'escaliers ce qui ne facilite pas les choses lorsque l'on a des valises. Le ménage devrait selon moi etre mieux effectuer dans les chambres. Sinon au erge genial le staff est pour la plupart serviable et sympatmais encore une fois je precise pour la plupart d'entre eux. J'y retournerai volontier malgres quelques petites lacunes.

rooms smelled really bad. dirty rooms. people got stuff stolen. random annoying swing in the middle of the room.

• 31st Dec 2015

Hi there. Thank so much for taking the time to review us. I'm sorry to hear your experience was so negative. That sucks :/ Our rooms are cleaned daily but I will definitely pass on your comments to the cleaning team at our meeting. With regard to safety, we offer a secure environment with a locked front door, 24hr reception, CCTV, security door before the bedrooms, keycard entry to rooms and lockable security cages under each bed for your luggage. We do kindly request that guests make use of these facilities, particularly when staying in shared dorms, and this includes taking sensible precautions such as locking away any valuables in your security cage (you are free to use your own lock or to buy one from reception). Sorry to hear you didn't like our swing. Most people love it and we think it's kind of fun, but apologies if it's not to your taste. Hopefully you'll come back and give us another try in future. Thanks

Great facilities in a great location! The hostel was always reasonably clean - the staff did a great job considering it's a fairly decent size hostel. I was here over New Years and I was worried it would be too much of a party hostel and noisy but I didn't have any issues with that. however the atmosphere wasn't that great - lots of big groups which made it hard for a solo traveller but that isn't the hostel's issue. I really liked the area and thought it was good value for the money.

I was happy with the hostel however SOME of the reception staff were disappointing and clueless. I would double check all transactions if you decide to stay here as the staff almost overcharged me due to lack of common sense (the manager included). Breakfast was not worth waking up for. The rooms were fine. Translate bar next door was the highlight of my stay. Great/Cheap food & good vibes.

Hey there. Thanks for taking the time to review us. Sorry for the confusion with your booking - the issue is that your deposit is non-refundable and not received by us (it is retained by Hostelworld), so if you wish to cancel a night of your stay, it's unfortunately not possible to use credit from the deposit for that night towards paying the balance of the rest of your stay (as per the Hostelworld T&Cs). Sorry about that :/ I'm glad to hear you had such a great time in our bar though and I do hope you'll come back and give us another try in future. All the best!

Due to where it is located, it has a different atmosphere from most hostels. Instead of feeling like a travelers half-way home, it felt more like a crash-pad for those who were in the area to party. As this is not why I was travelling, it felt somewhat uncomfortable to me. For the first time ever, I felt awkward staying in a hostel. However, the facilities (kitchen, bathrooms, etc.) were quite nice and it was in an easy location for accessing most of London.

Good location, staff was nice but seemed a bit overwhelmed at times. The private room booked was nice but extremely small. Even though we were on the top floor we still experienced a fair bit of noise from people in the other rooms going up and down the hall to the toilet/shower area--the walls and floors are pretty thin! Decent stay but I probably wouldn't stay here again.

Staying here was really nice. Loved the aesthetic of the hostel. Def has the cool part of town feel especially since its in Shoreditch. Breakfast was nice, security was good since you have to tap a card right at the hostel entrance. Reception plays some nice tunes. Beds were comfy, the rooms were clean. Would recommend.

• 9th Dec 2015
  • Singapore

Todo excelente salvo que un día de mi estancia pasé a dormir a mi habitación y había en mi cama otra persona que no era yo, avisé en recepción y lo arreglaron enseguida, ahora no me dieron ninguna compensación

• 7th Dec 2015
  • Spain

Lo único de destacaría en contra del hostal es el ruido que hay la noche del sábado al domingo, el resto de los días se duerme genial. En general, ha gustado bastante.

• 5th Dec 2015
  • Spain

Great location! I loved the hipster neighborhood and bars! The hostel was welcoming and had a great staff.

M buen lugar y servicios. Lo recomiendo.

• 29th Nov 2015