The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Hands down the best hostel I've been in. I can think of no faults! 100% recommend staying here.

It was like a maze getting to my room. I preferred this hostel when it was smaller. The wifi barely worked. Love the location.

Good: Location! Shoreditch is great for going out at night, and we also found a lot of cool places for brunch the next day! Price Facilities: kitchen, cafe/laundry/bar next door Staff. The people at the front desk were always really helpful and efficient. Bad: The room. I was in the largest (cheapest) room available, and it was really hot, loud and dirty. We had a stinky guy in the room the first night and the lack of ventilation didn't help with that (but that isn't really the hostel's fault)

One can not complain. A clean bed and safe environment for 20 quid a night.

Nice little hostel in a great location, with plenty of nightlife around the place. Staff were helpful and eager to help. Be aware that it can get noisy at night if that's a problem for you.

• 12th Aug 2015

I really enjoyed my stay. I think the only real issue was the kitchen rules. From signs it seemed that the kitchen opened at 7am and closed at 1am. But I was in there at around 10:30am one day eating my breakfast and got yelled at because the kitchen was apparently closed. So clearer rules about the kitchen would have been nice.

• 11th Aug 2015

The Dictionary is in a pretty good location for all the bars and markets in Shoreditch and has a great breakfast included to start your day. When I was there I didn't feel there was much atmosphere to meet people but that was mostly due to being there on a Monday to Wednesday. There is a fair amount of winding stairs and no lift so if you aren't strong you should probably think twice. Fast wifi at this place until recently was paid for, it is free now.

Hey. Thanks so much for your feedback. Top tip: don't travel with more luggage than you can carry! It serves me well haha! You're right, it is a bit quieter Mon-Weds, but we still have the bar crawl running every night and people like to hang out and meet new friends in the kitchen in the eves. :) Glad you enjoyed your stay all the same and made the most of the nightlife and markets. Happy to hear you made use of the free wifi. Come back soon and all the best :)

The reception was a little rude at the check in, we arrived and told us he would be with us after he had finished talking to the other staff member he then proceeded to serve another customer who walked in after us and did not apologize or say thank you for waiting. Other than that the hostel was friendly and had a good atmosphere for travellers with lots of suggestions for things to do in London. We weren't aware breakfast was included so this was a nice surprise.

• 10th Aug 2015

Hey. Thanks for your review :) Sorry for the mix up at reception. That staff member is training at the moment, so he was being helped by a more experienced colleague, but it sounds like an honest mistake. Apologies all the same! :) Glad you enjoyed your stay in London and got a nice surprise with the free breakfast. Woohoo! Hope you'll be coming back again soon. All the best :)

Wifi is terrible, the room was extremely hot (it wasnt hot outside), the breakfast is average to be nice about it, the staff members are kind and try to help, but it's definitely not a nice place to stay. And the room is too close (right besides) the patio where some get together to get drunk and shout. So if you need to go to sleep early it wont be easy...

Sorry to hear you feel you had such a bad time with us. That sucks :/ The wifi is being upgraded as we speak & we've installed fans in some of the rooms which needed extra ventilation in the summer. Hopefully that will help. The free breakfast is just the basics but we have a lovely bar with a comprehensive breakfast menu & 20% guest discount. :) We close the courtyard at 11pm to limit noise but you can always pick up a pair of free earplugs at reception to get a good night's Zzzs. Thanks :)

I love Shoreditch so this was the ideal hostel for my stay in London! The rooms were huge and had heaps of room for luggage.

Great atmosphere. Nice staff and nice people. Would come back again!

• 1st Aug 2015

Thanks so much!! :) Can't wait to have you back

Great hostel, i.e. very well organised and kept, given the little space it has; Excellent bedding, great breakfast, and, above all, bathrooms ant toilets very clean at all times; (only, the C dorm, where I slept, is a little stifling at night) thanks a lot and see you again éric (France)

• 30th Jul 2015

Thanks so much for your kind comments. :) We've installed fans in the rooms that were getting a bit stuffy during the heatwave so hopefully it should be better now. Glad you loved so much about us! Hope to see you again soon! :)

The Customs lady at the border recommended that I stay at the Shoreditch so I picked this hostel. The Wi-Fi was a little spotty. I stayed in a room with 10 others and although a littke intimidating at first, I grew to love it. For my last day, I had to check out at 11 am but my bus was leaving at 11 pm but they let me store my things there and I'm very grateful for that. Also, they let me borrow adapters and let me print some tickets for free too. Overall, great atmosphere & place. Recommended.

• 30th Jul 2015

Well thanks to the customs lady for recommending Shoreditch! ;) And thanks for your great feedback. The wifi is being upgraded as we speak so next time you should be able to surf and stream and facebook to your heart's content :) All the best and come back soon!

Fantastic party hostel, right in the centre of some of London's best nightlife. The hostel has a great atmosphere with a smokin chill lounge. The only small negatives for me was one that my room was a bit cramped and it was difficult to get at the locker draw; also the hostel was a bit overpriced during the week in comparison to other good hostels. At the weekend it is good value for money though.

Thanks for your comments. Hope to see you again soon :)

Loved this Hostel, in the center of Londons hipster area, surrounded by cool cafes and street art, planned on staying two nights, but extended it a night at a time to 8 because I liked it so much! Great spot to meet people and go out, as there is a terrace for socialising before Dan the Moon takes everyone to popular bars and clubs close by.

The hostel was in a good location for a good bar scene, as it's situated between two bars already. The rooms were a bit small, even for having 14 people in them. The bathrooms weren't very clean, all they did was really mop the floors. They did offer a lot of activities and outings for people in the hostel, which was nice. Atmosphere was friendly and young. Wifi didn't work very well at all.

• 23rd Jul 2015

Thanks for the review. Glad you enjoyed our location! :) The larger dorms are our budget offering so have more bunks in them & less extra space than some smaller dorms. I can certainly recommend you the 10 bed dorms for your next stay. Bathrooms are cleaned daily - they scrub, wipe down and bleach the toilets, empty the bins, wipe down the sinks & mirror, change toilet rolls, clean the shower tiles, wipe the shower glass and mop the floor. If you ever need extra cleaning, just ask reception! :)

Almost useless WIFI.

Thanks for the feedback. The wifi normally works fine, but we are upgrading it as we speak. You should be able to surf to your heart's content next time you are here. :) Hope to see you again soon!

Toilet smelt like it had never been cleaned & I never saw any staff cleaning our toilet. The wifi in our room never ever worked. We had to sit outside our room on the stairs to get wifi. There is no breakout room for people to chill. On top of that there's no chairs in the room to gain a social vibe, everyone had to sit on their beds. Speaking of beds, mine got saturated due to a leak in the roof. When I told a staff member nothing occurred and some other person ended up in that wet bed.

• 19th Jul 2015

I'm sorry you seem to have had such a bad experience with us. That's not cool :/ Our cleaners clean top to bottom every day from 10-2 when most people are out. We do have lots of communal areas - the lounge, kitchen, courtyard, roof terrace & bar - with chairs & tables for guests to chill. I'm sorry to hear about the leak and the way it sounds like that was handled. I am informed the leak turned out to be rain from outside since a window had been left open. Phew! All the best for your travels :)

Hostel wasn't too far from the tube, friendly staff and comfortable beds. Free breakfast was simple, but good. There is a lovely café next door that you get 20% off in so if you want something more substantial pop in there. Luggage storage was helpful. The dorm room we were in had only a skylight and little/no ventilation so it got a bit stuffy. But overall I really liked the hostel, it was a busy weekend so we didn't get to hang out there much but it seemed like a good place to meet others.

Thanks for all your great comments! :) We've installed fans in the rooms that were getting a bit stuffy in the hot weather. Hope to see you back again soon so you can check out the improvements for yourself and hang out with us a bit more. All the best!

Thank you to all the friendly staff -- enjoyed my stay at the Dictionary and would recommend it to anyone looking to make new friends.

Thanks so much! Hurry back soon :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5