The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

I've booked two dorms (a 16-bed and a 8-bed) for a 24-people group. The booking process was very easy, and the staff very accommodating. There are pubs and places to eat all around the area, and a Tesco express close by, which was very useful. The only complaints we would have is that the wi-fi was practically non-existent and the products available for breakfast were very lacking. But these are minor things, so overall - awesome trip!

• 27th Feb 2015
  • Romania

Thanks for the feedback! :) Glad you found our location & staff so great. There is free wifi in reception, but we are switching our wifi provider for the rest of the hostel. For breakfast we offer 4 types of cereal, two types of bread, fresh croissants/bagels, jams, butter, peanut butter, honey, 2 types of juice, coffee, tea & milk. It's all free, so I don't think it's a bad spread, but please feel free to speak to reception if you think there is something missing. Hope to see you again soon :)

The Dictionary is ideally located in the heart of Shoreditch. Our room/bathroom was always clean and it was one of the comfiest bunks ive slept in! The reception staff were always really friendly and helpful, we definitley appreciated being able to store our luggage on check in/out days. The facilities of the hostel were impressive - but with only staying 2 nights we didnt have much time to make the most of them. The courtyard would be ideal in summer - great excuse to plan a return trip..

Thanks for the great comments. Hopefully when you next come we can push it to 100% :) Glad you had such a good time with us.

I was in London on business, an had a great stay! An ideal location in the heart of Shoreditch! The food at the bar next door is very nice and you get a discount when you stay in the Hostel, Lauren was very helpful and had answers to all my questions, I'm sure I will be returning sometime soon.

Thanks for the great review! Glad you made the most of our discount in the bar. Very sensible indeed ;) I will pass on your comments to Lauren too! See you again soon!

Incredible stay, incredible location. Staff was accessible and really helpful

• 17th Feb 2015

Thanks for the positive comments. Love to hear from another satisfied guest. Hope to see you again soon and all the best for the rest of your travels.

The lock to access the rooms area wasn't working, wasn't clean, Shared room in the first floor wasn't available due some maintenance, I couldn't had breakfast... was gone at 945... in general not what you want to experience in a Hostel

• 9th Feb 2015
  • Chile

Thanks for your comments. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us :( The lock's under repair. We have a new one, we're just waiting for the electrician to wire it. Should be back up soon. We have a locking front door, CCTV & locks on all rooms in the meantime though. The hostel's cleaned every day 10-2, but I'll definitely speak with the team. We can always improve! Free breakfast is open 8-10am daily, but it's best to be early to get the best choice. All the best for your trip!

this should be a good hostel for the general facility, a perfect equipped kitchen, but wifi is the most important facility nowadays, unacceptable poor and slow, even I pay extra 1pound for another so call fast network, is still very slow.

Thanks for leaving us your feedback. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with our wifi. :( The free wifi's fine for checking email, facebook & browsing etc. The paid wifi should be ok for anything more but is dependent on usage. We're trying to improve it & are looking at making it free, but sadly it's a very expensive task as the infrastructure is not yet in place & it'll take some investment to allow our 220 guests to stream films etc at once. But we're working on it! ;)

Excellent kitchen! Great and helpfull staff!

Thanks for your great comments! Come back soon :)

Not worth the money. room was in a revolting state. Along with the communal toilets and showers....

Thanks for leaving us some feedback. I'm so sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us :( That's never what we want to hear. The room you stayed in is in the process of being upgraded. It's being redesigned by an interior designer & will soon have its own sink in the room which should help the situation. The communal facilities are cleaned top to toe 10-2 daily, but their cleanliness certainly depends on the cleanliness of your fellow guests. I offer you my apologies nonetheless.

Good location, but it was really noisy and probably not the best place to stay if you just want to get some sleep.

• 23rd Jan 2015

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback :) I'm really glad you loved our location. It's great, but you're right, being so central in and amongst all the best bars means it can be a bit noisy at the weekends with all the party goers out and about. We've just actually had a quote for some new windows though with better soundproofing, so hopefully that's something we can implement later in the year to improve the situation. Hope you enjoyed Shoreditch other than that. :)

Had a very pleasant stay here, the location is perfect in East London. The kitchen was too small and not very clean but apart from that everything was good.

Hi there. Thanks for your comments. We've just put in a planning application to double the kitchen in size ;) Hopefully that should make things a lot better in the future. Sorry to hear it wasn't as clean as we would normally expect - it often depends how many people have been using the area for cooking immediately before you, but I will have a word with the cleaning team and ask them to make a special effort! Glad you otherwise enjoyed your stay. Thanks :)

For my first hostel, I thought the experience went better than I thought. The staff were helpful and didn't give any dirty looks to people who asked for their help and I can appreciate that. Breakfast was good. Free Wifi in the common area and kirtchen. No complaints really.

• 23rd Jan 2015

Thanks for the great review. So glad you enjoyed your first hostel experience. Hopefully we have set the bar high ;) All the best and come back soon!

We already knew the hostel was really close to bars, so we were prepared for the noise. There's actually a lot, but we weren't bothered by it. The hostel is clean and the room we stayed in was spacious. The bathroom was always clean. Unfortunately we had a problem with another guest, but the staff was extremely helpfull doing everything they could to make things better.

Thanks for the review. I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay with us. :)

The room was pretty cold. we could feel the cold coming in through the window

Hi. Thanks for your comments. I'm really sorry to hear that you were cold! We have a heater in every room, but it is especially chilly at the moment, so maybe that wasn't enough :( We have just entered a planning application to have all our windows upgraded, so hopefully your problem should be solved soon. In the meantime, if you ever need to, feel free to speak to reception and they can provide extra duvets if necessary. Thanks :)

Absolutely excellent place full of wonderful people. The staff are chilled out and really helpful, the location is great and the hostel its self is decent with everything you need.

• 16th Jan 2015

Thanks for the wonderful comments. Come back soon!

I didn't actually sleep here because I had a to - do list, but they let me use the room to change clothes for the night.

Thanks for the great review! All the best for your future travels :)

The staff was amazing! Rhiannon at the reception was the friendliest, most amazing staff member I've met and EVERYONE else was so great. this was important because i was there over Christmas without family and I didn't feel it for ONE moment. the rooms are decent sized, cleaned everyday, GREAT value for money; the breakfast is good and there's a couple of local stores around that you can always shop at for something to cook. the wifi was a wee bit shaky, but it wasn't so much of a problem.

• 19th Dec 2014
  • India

So glad you had such a good stay with us and that you enjoyed Christmas here at The Dictionary!! Thanks for your feedback and please come back soon. I'll pass your kind words on to Rhiannon :)

The place is ok. It is warm but very basic. The internet was limited to the area of the lobby, which is very inconvinient for a traveler.

Hi! We offer free wifi in the reception, kitchen, courtyard, bar & cafe. You can also pay £1 for 24 hrs' high speed access in your room. We do try to provide lots of extras that you don't get in other hostels, but we are always looking to improve! At the moment we offer things like free breakfasts, all day tea & coffee, roof terrace, table football, laundrette, events in the evenings, our own bar & there are swings in some of the rooms too! ;) Thanks for leaving us some feedback. :)

Good size dorm, showers nearby. Its a great location yet quiet when its time to sleep Simple breakfast, but it does the trick.

Thanks for the review! Glad you had such a great time! Come back soon! :)

Nice and clean kitchen, clean toilet and shower in the 4-bed dorm i stayed in. Good location too. They could do with putting a sign up saying "rooms m-z, this way ->" when coming up the first set of stairs.

Thanks for the comments! Glad you liked the room and location. :) We are obviously on the same wavelength because we are just about to revamp our internal signage. ;) Thanks for your feedback and all the best for your future travels.

Rooms are very small and bathrooms were extremely dirty. The location is very good obviously, right in the center of Shoreditch but unless you are some party animal there is no point staying in that place.

Hi, Thanks for your comments. I will have a word with the cleaning staff about your points. The whole hostel, including the bathrooms, are cleaned every day, however, since you were in a shared dorm with 13 other people, it could be that your room mates just got to the bathroom before you and so it looked messy. Glad you liked our location. We love it too! All the best :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5