The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Had a very pleasant stay here, the location is perfect in East London. The kitchen was too small and not very clean but apart from that everything was good.

For my first hostel, I thought the experience went better than I thought. The staff were helpful and didn't give any dirty looks to people who asked for their help and I can appreciate that. Breakfast was good. Free Wifi in the common area and kirtchen. No complaints really.

• 23rd Jan 2015

The room was pretty cold. we could feel the cold coming in through the window

I didn't actually sleep here because I had a to - do list, but they let me use the room to change clothes for the night.

Thanks for the great review! All the best for your future travels :)

The staff was amazing! Rhiannon at the reception was the friendliest, most amazing staff member I've met and EVERYONE else was so great. this was important because i was there over Christmas without family and I didn't feel it for ONE moment. the rooms are decent sized, cleaned everyday, GREAT value for money; the breakfast is good and there's a couple of local stores around that you can always shop at for something to cook. the wifi was a wee bit shaky, but it wasn't so much of a problem.

• 19th Dec 2014
  • India

So glad you had such a good stay with us and that you enjoyed Christmas here at The Dictionary!! Thanks for your feedback and please come back soon. I'll pass your kind words on to Rhiannon :)

The place is ok. It is warm but very basic. The internet was limited to the area of the lobby, which is very inconvinient for a traveler.

Hi! We offer free wifi in the reception, kitchen, courtyard, bar & cafe. You can also pay £1 for 24 hrs' high speed access in your room. We do try to provide lots of extras that you don't get in other hostels, but we are always looking to improve! At the moment we offer things like free breakfasts, all day tea & coffee, roof terrace, table football, laundrette, events in the evenings, our own bar & there are swings in some of the rooms too! ;) Thanks for leaving us some feedback. :)

Good size dorm, showers nearby. Its a great location yet quiet when its time to sleep Simple breakfast, but it does the trick.

Thanks for the review! Glad you had such a great time! Come back soon! :)

Nice and clean kitchen, clean toilet and shower in the 4-bed dorm i stayed in. Good location too. They could do with putting a sign up saying "rooms m-z, this way ->" when coming up the first set of stairs.

Thanks for the comments! Glad you liked the room and location. :) We are obviously on the same wavelength because we are just about to revamp our internal signage. ;) Thanks for your feedback and all the best for your future travels.

Rooms are very small and bathrooms were extremely dirty. The location is very good obviously, right in the center of Shoreditch but unless you are some party animal there is no point staying in that place.

Hi, Thanks for your comments. I will have a word with the cleaning staff about your points. The whole hostel, including the bathrooms, are cleaned every day, however, since you were in a shared dorm with 13 other people, it could be that your room mates just got to the bathroom before you and so it looked messy. Glad you liked our location. We love it too! All the best :)

Good hostel, great area, great staff.

Thanks for the comments! Hope you had a great time in Shoreditch. Come back soon. All the best for your future travels!

Nice location, right in the middle of Shoreditch. Well located, good bus service, tube station just 7 minutes walking and Boris Bikes just around the corner. Not a quiet place at nights specially at weekends, but a really good atmosphere. Just had problems having shower in the first day (i guess it was because they were fully booked), in that day low water pressure or no water at all, a bit unpleasant.

Thanks for the review! Lovely to get nice feedback. Glad you found the location to be so great. We adore it too. Sorry about the showers! We are getting our pipe upgraded any day now, which should give us much greater pressure. You'll have to come back and try out the new and improved showers...! All the best for your future travels! :)

Good vibes top location good bar!

Thanks for such a great review! We love our bar too!! We love the 20% guest discount even more though ;) Please come back soon - we can't wait to have you back again! Tell all your friends! ;)

The hostel is in a great area. The dormitories are very messy and the common bathroom aren't so clean.

Hi there. Thanks for the review! The bathrooms are all cleaned every day, along with the rest of the hostel, but I'll have a word with the team. Every bed has a large cage underneath where you can store all your things (including your backpack) to keep them tidy, but you're right, not everybody uses them. Glad you loved our area - we love it too! All the best for your future travels :)

Great staff, who are cheerful, helpful and friendly. Good location, the kitchen is an added bonus with good facillitie.Showers were hot and toilets clean. Plenty of good, cheap Vietnamese restaurants as well as loads of nice pubs and clubs nearby. The bar attached to the hostel had a really nice vibe and 20% off for hostel guests Ok, so someone was in my bed when I got back the first nighbut was just a mix up and could happen anywhere. Good if you like a buzzy and noisy hostel, which I do

• 27th Nov 2014

Wow such a great review! Thanks for staying! I love the Vietnamese restaurants too. For next time, we also have 10% of over £10 discount for guests at Bahn Mi 11 restaurant nearby - always good to know. Hope you had a great time in buzzy Shoreditch. Come back soon!

Nice people, clean rooms. Good facilities and an excellent location.

• 27th Nov 2014

Thanks for your review! Great to hear! Tell all your friends and make sure to come back soon ;) All the best!

Overall it was a good experience. I would very much prefer to have stayed in the photographed rooms as the one I stayed was too plain and gloomy

Thanks for your review. We are in the process of having an interior designer revamp some of our rooms, so hopefully everything should get a nice spruce up soon. Next time you stay, email in advance and I'll make sure you are in your preferred room. :) All the best for your future travels!

Saw bed bugs crawling on me. Staff did their best and moved me to a different room, but I don't think that helped as I saw one on my jeans as I was checking out. One of my roommates had massive bites all over him. Showers did not work. First morning my shower stopped as I was completely covered in soap so I just stood there. The next morning there was no water at all. Only stay here if you want to party in Shoreditch with a bunch of other grimy people staying there.

Oh no! Sorry to hear about your problems! I contacted our maintenance manager immediately after reading your comment and your room has now been sprayed. We are having a new pipe fitted imminently which should fix the problem you experienced with the showers. Hopefully you'll come back and stop again in the future and see the improvements we're making. All the best for your future travels! :)

Whilst the cages are ok, you can still see into them so things like computers camera etc didnt really feel that safe. Staff were generally really good, did have one exception when one girl came in at 3am turned on the lights and proceeded to do a roll call 3 times because the room was over booked. Not Cool! Also found that when it got really busy, things turned into bit of a shambles, none of the staff new what was going on, and i was overbooked/ moved about a few times. Otherwise great place!!!

nothing to complain. nice bar, nice staff.

Great to hear. Thanks for your comments! All the best :D

Great location- close to 2 different tube stations so it is easy to get to. Staff is alight, not the most helpful but they are nice. They employ people who are staying at the hostel so it is not the cleanest. (My room ran out of toilette paper every night I was there.) Get the free map offered at check in and do that walking tour when you first arrive. A nice way to see the city and meet new people!

Hi. Thanks for the review! The hostel is cleaned top to bottom every day by a team of 8 cleaners and we have a new head cleaner who seems to be doing a pretty good job so far. I will have a word with him about the toilet rolls though as those should be topped up every day. Sorry about that!! If you had mentioned it to reception, they'd have been able to sort you out right away as we have a night cleaner on duty every evening :) Glad you enjoyed the free tour. All the best for your travels! :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6