The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

water went off constantly, no toilet paper refilled, sheets dirty and beds marks everywhere. Staff friendly, but queues and lots of waiting around to get booked in and sign out when leaving. Mice, but they have traps. Rooms for groups are tiny, squashed in. Good you can come and go when you please though.

• 27th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

I stayed in a room for 16 people. We only had one shower as a "bathroom"!! No individual lights, so some untolerant guys turned the light on at 3 am... No computers to consult the internet...

The Dictionary admittedly has a bedbug infestation and refused to refund my stay. I had just checked in when another backpacker told me about the bedbug issue. They had even just washed all of her clothes for free. When I returned to the front desk, they admitted that there was a bedbug infestation but that there was no chance I would get them. I was only asking for my one night stay to be refunded but they refused. I left and found another hostel nearby.

It's a really nice hostel. Crew is awesome.

• 16th Oct 2014
  • Austria

The dictionary is a fine place if you're only in London to party, and have no intention of spending any time at the actual hostel. The rooms are tiny with no air-flow so it gets hot and smelly fast. The organisation isn't stellar but that's mostly due to the lack of any moving space in this property. Paying 1£ P/day for wifi that never worked was a shame. Some of the staff was great while others couldn't be bothered to help out. It's not a place to stay if you have anything to do other than rage

Breakfast vouchers would be a great idea to get that value for money up, the cafe/bar next to is so convenient! The breaky burrito could do with an avo salsa on top and a bit more filling. The laundrette right next door and Banksy piece 2 minutes walk away. Epic! The Shoreditch area is awesome, def worth staying a few nights at the Dictionary :)

• 13th Oct 2014

Nice place to crash for partying, pub adjoined and Shoreditch is the London neighborhood for going out. Each bed had its outlet and a little ledge on the wall to put stuff, which was great, but the room was tiny. Avoid n maybe (6 mixed ensuite).

• 12th Oct 2014

I expected much better from this hostel. First of all, the room I was in was really small, people's stuff everywhere, and also very ugly... Their bed allocating system is really bad, I had to wake up in the middle of the night because they were looking for empty beds. Twice. Some of the staff was rude. My food was stolen twice, so decided to keep it in my room anyway... They clean the toilets once a day, so in the evening it is very dirty. The lock on the door was broken so anyone could come in.

Shower facilities need to be updated, water temperature was either really hot or really cold, if at all (at 9am). Location of hostel is in a trendy area with plenty of access to good bars, restaurants and public transportation. However really loud between the hours of 12am - 4am...

It was my first UK hostel and compared to other places in the world the rooms were super small. Staff was friendly but during check in (I arrived at 1:30am) they didn't have a key card for me and she gave me a bed that I realized the next morning that it was not clean. Then two days later they cleaned my bed (throwing my t-shirt away) since the cleaning crew thought that I had checked out. Only one bed out of the six in the room had a functioning chain to lock your stuff. The rest were broken

• 8th Oct 2014
  • Greece

This hostel is located in Shoreditch, which is one of the major epicentres of London nightlife. The area is fairly sleepy during the day, and comes alive at night, which is great if you're looking for that experience while in London. The hostel itself has exceptionally clean and nice bathrooms, and a great kitchen and dining area. It's also attached to a bar. It does not have a free breakfast, which was a letdown. The pub crawl is fantastic, and a great way to sample Shoreditch nightlife.

The location right in the heart of Shoreditch is fantastic and very well connected with public transport links. However, I am slightly disappointed by my stay here as the staff are mostly rude and unfriendly and very disorganised. They didn't seem to have any idea of what was going on in regards to their reservations and were rude when handling mistakes they'd made. Kitchen is great, but plumbing and bathrooms could be better. Not an entirely awful stay, but I expected more for what I paid.

As somebody previously wrote, this place is a backpacker hole. And that is a very accurate description. If you're into something tidy, with many facilities and staff that cares at all, go elsewhere. Huge plus - there is a kitchen (I was in hostels in London which don't have a kitchen at all) Huge minuses - normal speed WiFi is not free, food disappearing from the fridge for TWO consecutive days even when it was LABELED, some of staff were unpleasant, new bed linen which was quite dirty.

Poor security and no locks on most of the cages under the beds, also very dirty under the begs. Otherwise very happy with the stay.

Best thing about this hostel is its location. Hostel itself not so bad.

Not your average hostel goer: I'm 45 and never stayed in a hostel before. Needed last minute place to sleep and as hotels were full, tried the hostel. Great welcome, bed really comfy with nice crisp cotton sheets. Bit of noise but nothing you couldn't sleep through with a smile. Clean hot shower in the morning, on my way! Perfect, thank you.

• 24th Sep 2014

Thanks for your comments! Reviews like that remind us why we're in the job. :D We're so glad you loved your first hostelling experience! Hopefully this will be the first of many to come. :) It was probably a bit easier on your pocket than the local hotels too ;) Tell all your friends and hurry back soon!

This was such a cool, funky place. I would definitely stay there again.

It was very good, overall. I can only complain about the room for storing food. There was only one refrigerator filled up with food from people who were probably already gone, so it was not possible to store anything else.

• 23rd Sep 2014
  • Uruguay

outside the room were toilets and showers, that was good. But often the toilet paper was missing or they were closed.

• 23rd Sep 2014

Thanks for your comments! :) The toilet roll is replaced every day, but if you let reception know, they will be able to find you some more in the meantime. Come back soon!

Took about half an hour to get me checked in which was a bit of a drag on a Monday evening, but the staff were otherwise a bunch of friendly, cool blokes. A little bit of a labyrinth challenge navigating the way to my dormitory, and there are too few power sockets in the rooms to make a technology-dependent traveller completely satisfied. One of the top things about this affordable hostel is its location- Shoreditch is the part of London you want to be in.

Thanks for your great comments! Much appreciated! We hear you about check-in and we have a new passport scanner and computer to speed up everything at reception. Our building is a bit of a rabbit's warren, isn't it?! But I think it makes it quirky ;) Glad you loved the location and our staff. I will pass on your kind words. Come back soon :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7