The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Overall it was a good experience. I would very much prefer to have stayed in the photographed rooms as the one I stayed was too plain and gloomy

Saw bed bugs crawling on me. Staff did their best and moved me to a different room, but I don't think that helped as I saw one on my jeans as I was checking out. One of my roommates had massive bites all over him. Showers did not work. First morning my shower stopped as I was completely covered in soap so I just stood there. The next morning there was no water at all. Only stay here if you want to party in Shoreditch with a bunch of other grimy people staying there.

nothing to complain. nice bar, nice staff.

Great location- close to 2 different tube stations so it is easy to get to. Staff is alight, not the most helpful but they are nice. They employ people who are staying at the hostel so it is not the cleanest. (My room ran out of toilette paper every night I was there.) Get the free map offered at check in and do that walking tour when you first arrive. A nice way to see the city and meet new people!

Hi. Thanks for the review! The hostel is cleaned top to bottom every day by a team of 8 cleaners and we have a new head cleaner who seems to be doing a pretty good job so far. I will have a word with him about the toilet rolls though as those should be topped up every day. Sorry about that!! If you had mentioned it to reception, they'd have been able to sort you out right away as we have a night cleaner on duty every evening :) Glad you enjoyed the free tour. All the best for your travels! :)

The check out is at 10.00 which is too early for me. It was very noisy during the day as teh cleaning lady came to clean the bathroom and she was so noisy even not trying at all to me little silent. Avoid this place

Brilliantly located in the midst of Shoreditch bars and clubs. Nice staff and a very friendly atmosphere will definitely stay there again.

• 14th Nov 2014
  • British Virgin Islands

Thanks for such a great review. We loved having you to stay! Come back soon and look us up on Facebook! :D

In a lively part of London. Great value for price: coupons off at accompanying restaurant and bar. Very accommodating staff

Thanks for your kind words! We love getting reviews like that. :) Glad you had such a good time. Come back soon and stay in touch on Facebook!

3 staff working at reception desk only one was serving, the other 2 didn't acknowledge people waiting. This is very frustrating when it seemed to take a while to check people and some people just wanted to ask simple questions. However most of the time the staff were very friendly and helpful Hostel was clean and Tidy, small but totally functional kitchen / TV room. The room i stayed in was very spacious Bar next door - discount with key card, free luggage storage, fun pub crawl.

• 13th Nov 2014

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear about your issues! Normally we have 2 on reception, so if there was a 3rd down there, I imagine they might have been trying to fix the computer, but that's no excuse though! Sorry! Next year we're doubling the size of our kitchen with an excavation - very exciting! :) Glad you found us clean & tidy & enjoyed the discounts. Would love to hear some feedback on the barcrawl if you have 2 mins to message me at operations@thedictionaryhostel.com. Many thanks! :)

Internet worked fine, but strange that have to pay £1 extra to get Internet voucher (everyone needs to go online, right?) Otherwise unexpectedly clean, though room was very dark (just small skylights) and had no little lamps to turn on at night.

Hi! Thanks for the review. The internet is free in communal areas (kitchen, courtyard and reception) and its speed is dependant on how many people are online and what they're doing, but it's fine emails and facebook etc. If you want high speed internet in your room, it's £1 for 24 hours. You're right, we don't have individual lamps. Most people tend to use the light on their phone at night or, if you need, we have bed torches available at reception. Glad you found us clean :) Come back soon!!

It is what it is. In the heart of the london hipster night life. Its load all night on the weekends, the bathroom is small, the wifi was terrible but of you want to party well go there. If you dont, dont. The staff were excellent.

Glad you enjoyed the party scene! You're right, space is at a premium here so we don't have big luxurious bathrooms, but they have hot water, free shampoo and they work, so hey, what's not to love? ;) The free wifi speed is dependent on the number of people online and what they're up to, but the £1 high speed wifi should be fine otherwise. Thanks for your comments about the staff - it means a lot and I'll pass your kind words on! Come back soon! :)

Toilettes were only cleaned once a day so in the evening they are very untidy and clogged without toilette paper. Mice coming inside the room at night not funny. Very dirty floors in the rooms... Wifi paid connection very bad... Vending machine in washing room broken and no sign about this. Overall it sucks! but what to do is the cheapest.

• 11th Nov 2014
  • Mexico

I was surprised by the location of the hostel (so good!), you can do many things by foot, it's really close to bunch of good bars, pubs, clubs and places to eat. Also quite close to the tube station. The bar is very nice, with good food. Bedrooms were good, clean bed (but the floor under the bed was very dirty), two bathrooms in my room, not a lot of noise. In general, good price for a very nice hostel in London. Would recommend :)

• 11th Nov 2014

Glad you loved the location and the bars and the food!! So do we! I'll have a word with the cleaners about going under the beds this week - thanks for the feedback! Come back soon and keep in touch on Facebook! :D

Hostel was nice and the staff accommodating. Shower wasn't the best, low pressure and little hot water even at off-peak hours, but I've had worse.

HI. Thanks for your comments. The water pipe is being upgraded by the water board on 24th Nov, so that should help the pressure situation. Glad you liked that hostel and staff. Thanks!

Great location amongst all the bars/cafes in Shoreditch, very cool area. Helpful staff and big rooms. Downside was it was a bit noisy with the bar across the road but if you'll be out with them it won't be a problem!

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you had such a great time with us! Hope to see you back here soon. :D

I stayed in a mixed sixteen bed dorm, which to my surpise was very pleasant. Working in London as an intern all I required was a safe place for luggage and a bed- The Dictionary provided both of these and were happy to look after my bag for me on the day of check out. The other people in the dorm were respectful noise-wise, it was just nice not being completely alone.

• 1st Nov 2014

We're so glad you had a great stay with us! :) Thanks for letting us know - it certainly puts a smile on our faces. Come back soon :D

Overall pretty good. The rooms were clean and there were some nice areas for socializing. It's not in the center of London, but there is a good bar and restaurant scene around. Only real criticism is that the wifi is only free in the kitchen, you have to pay for it in the rooms. Otherwise I had a nice stay.

Thanks for reviewing. Glad you enjoyed your stay & managed to hang out with some of the other guests while you were here :) We're in Zone 1 for transport, which makes us pretty darn central when you consider there are 9 zones on the London transport network. London's huge! Free wifi's available in the kitchen, reception, courtyard, bar & coffee shop & it's £1 for in-room access. This helps us to keep those prices low & that way you only pay for it if you want it :) Come back soon! :D

We stayed in a very small 6-bed room whose only window faced an atrium which was very noisy. Poor ventilation. A very high price for an uncomfortable and noisy room.

• 29th Oct 2014
  • Sweden

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay :( Reception should be closing the courtyard at 10pm so it's not too noisy, but I'll have a word to make sure they are doing this on time. Also, if you have a word with them, they'll always try & find you an alternative room if you're unhappy. When I stop in hostels myself, I always take earplugs so I'm not disturbed by other guests - it's a good tip ;) Our reception always has some if you ever need any :)

water went off constantly, no toilet paper refilled, sheets dirty and beds marks everywhere. Staff friendly, but queues and lots of waiting around to get booked in and sign out when leaving. Mice, but they have traps. Rooms for groups are tiny, squashed in. Good you can come and go when you please though.

• 27th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

Sorry if you had any problems. Bathrooms are cleaned daily, but if loo roll runs out in between, just give reception a shout :) We're just installing a new, wider pipe, to give us more water flow, which should help the showers. We do have mouse traps around the property as a precaution, since guests taking food into the rooms can encourage them. But there's no infestation or anything! :) Glad you got on with the staff. They can help you reserve a bigger dorm in future :) Thanks for the review!

I stayed in a room for 16 people. We only had one shower as a "bathroom"!! No individual lights, so some untolerant guys turned the light on at 3 am... No computers to consult the internet...

Hi. Thanks for the review! All our 16 bed dorms are ensuite, with at least one shower and toilet, but should that be in use, there are always communal showers and toilets throughout the building you can use too. We don't offer computers, but there is an internet cafe just around the corner and we have free wifi in our communal areas. Anyway, I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay enough to give us over 70% despite your problems. All the best for your future travels! Thanks :)

I wasn't keen on sharing a room (the door to which was inexplicably left open often by staff more than once) with study abroad teens on a fall break, and equally not keen on having a different drunk male guest tell me a story of how he was sleeping on the streets until coming here each night of my stay. I was here a year ago and it was fine. Not great, but not awful and the free breakfast was nice but is no longer. Good location but clueless staff, many rooms without natural light, generally odd

• 21st Oct 2014