The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Not your average hostel goer: I'm 45 and never stayed in a hostel before. Needed last minute place to sleep and as hotels were full, tried the hostel. Great welcome, bed really comfy with nice crisp cotton sheets. Bit of noise but nothing you couldn't sleep through with a smile. Clean hot shower in the morning, on my way! Perfect, thank you.

• 24th Sep 2014

outside the room were toilets and showers, that was good. But often the toilet paper was missing or they were closed.

• 23rd Sep 2014

Took about half an hour to get me checked in which was a bit of a drag on a Monday evening, but the staff were otherwise a bunch of friendly, cool blokes. A little bit of a labyrinth challenge navigating the way to my dormitory, and there are too few power sockets in the rooms to make a technology-dependent traveller completely satisfied. One of the top things about this affordable hostel is its location- Shoreditch is the part of London you want to be in.

The worst hostel in five months of travel.

They take advantage of the location to allow a bad management. We were 16 in the room with 1 toilet. No common space except the kitchen. In the kitchen no windows, 1 fridge was broken the other one full of disgusting things and 1 sink was broken so 1 sink for the whole hostel. The staff act as if you were bothering and except the cages under your bed there is 0 security (anyone enter in the hostel, the rooms and the luggage room). I heard of 5 different stories of things missing.

This hostel was good! They had cage lockers underneath the bunks which I really appreciated -- but of course bring your own lock. The staff were really friendly. The only problems I had were the bathrooms and the noise level. The water from one of the showers would run on then shut off. With the noise level, the hostel is located in an area with a lot of bars -- should've done more research on my end for that. You can definitely hear bumping music from around the hostel at night.

• 18th Sep 2014

After waiting to be checked in we were taken to our room and told to choose two beds...there was only one bed as they do not actually assign beds. One of us went downstairs to resolve the problem, after waiting a decent amount of time the staff came up to look at the situation only to decide that he couldn't figure it out and would have to talk to management and asked if we needed the bed right away (we arrived at 7pm or so). There was only one key that the staff had so you needed them to enter.

• 17th Sep 2014

Be prepared that there will be no air to breathe in the night - as the window opens for a closed space. I would except more toilets for 16 people. One is not enough. You never know which bed is free and sometimes it was difficult to figure out for new people....

• 16th Sep 2014
  • Slovakia

This place could be so great, but really, it's very, very ordinary. Check in was absurdly slow, as was anything to do with the front desk. 6 bed room was obscenely small. Lockers not particularly secure. A lot of noise from the street, windows wouldn't close. Avoid thursday to saturday if you want sleep. No vibe in the common areas. Only thing going for it is the location.

Well, actually it was so good. Some of staff were really rude but beside this is was definitely ok. Rooms were clean but in 16 dorms were bit warm. I recommend stay there and definitely will come back!!!! :) Friday night in bar translate? The best night in london.

• 15th Sep 2014
  • Poland

Not sure when the showers and toilet were last cleaned, rooms are very squishy, Couldn't get a key card to access my room for 2 days. Checking in, out and anything involving staff was painfully slow.

Loved this hostel!! Staff was so nice

Friendliest staff in the land! Specially the Hungarian who greeted me on the way in!

We arrived at the hostel late Saturday night and had a difficult time finding the entrance to the hostel behind the line to the club next door. Once we finally got inside the hostel employees were very unhelpful, once we finally got their attention they seemed annoyed to help us. They ran out of keys for our room, room was disgusting, couldn't find a clean bed, very loud, overall an uncomfortable experience.

• 13th Sep 2014

This is the perfect hostel to stay at to enjoy the coolest area I have been to in London. The staff were friendly from the first moment I stepped in the door and and felt more like friends than employees. Definitely check it out!

It was pretty nice, the staff gave good info about the surroundings. The only problem was that the fire alarm went on at 4am, and it was pretty tiresome to get out of the building (it was also cold). Besides that, I had no problem at all.

• 11th Sep 2014

So many good things here. Staff, guests, location, beds. I stayed a few days then changed plans so I could stay a while longer! Seems like they're recently under new management and issues mentioned by others are being dealt with. I was sad to go and by the time I left it felt like saying goodbye to family. Would definitely stay again and recommend it to others!

Shower didn't drain properly, woken up by staff at 3am to confirm who was in the room and which person had overstayed.

Amazing location in shoreditch, friendly staff, nice rooms. Nothing to complain about! Would definitely stay there again.

Young people working here with little sense of what it menas to act professional. They made a misstake once with our key and then acted very badly. Sweet people but not very smart.

• 2nd Sep 2014