The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Loved the app. Followed the walking route for a morning in Shoreditch & had a great time. Lots of interesting stuff around East London and not your typical Big Ben and Buckingham Palace London experience - real people live here!! Staff were friendly when I needed advice and there is a nice independent vibe there that you don't get in other hostels. Showers are a bit small, but the rooms are great and how much time do you spend in the shower anyway? Breakfast was yummy - pretty good for free too.

• 23rd Apr 2015
  • prerakthomson2135

Location was amazing, right in the heart of Shoreditch. When you stay in the city centre it's always going to be loud at times, but it's definitely worth it and the staff members made for a pleasant stay.

• 15th Apr 2015

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear you enjoyed our location in the heart of Shoreditch. I will pass on your kind words to our staff at our weekly meeting later on. Make sure you come back soon and thanks again! :)

I enjoyed to stay in this hostel: very unique atmosphere, lovely, helpful staff, breakfast is ok, nice people to meet, there's always people around, I recommand to every young people and to those who likes ebulliance. (pezsgés to Hungarians :) )

• Hungary

The hostel is excellent! Travelling to London you should really stay there! Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Lovely location close to lots of interesting places, 15 min walk from Tower Bridge. Best place for meeting new people and having fun. I had so much fun staying is this hostel, would definitely stay again with no hesitation if I come back to London! (Oh yeah they are sooo creative: swing in the room etc:-)

• Hungary

I'll echo what so many others said when I first read about the hostel, which is that it is in an awesome location. Shoreditch is by far one of the hippest places in the world, and the staff were so friendly and helpful to point me in the right directions to see it. I loved the vibe of the hostel and its bar, and had a really great time whilst staying there. Can't wait for the next time!

• 13th Apr 2015

The Dictionary Hostel is as definitive as its name! What hip funky place to be! I am coming back as soon as I can!!

• 11th Apr 2015
  • South Africa

Thank you so much for your great review! We can't wait to have you back either. Get planning that return trip! :)

Great hostel! Nice friendly staff and awesome atmosphere. I stayed over the weekend and had a great time seeing the local sights during the day and checking out the bars at night. If I'm ever in East London again in know where I will be staying!

Hey! Thanks for the feedback :) Glad you enjoyed all that Shoreditch has to offer, both by day and by night. Download our app to stay connected with us and to keep up with all that's going on in Shoreditch and East London. Cheers!

Excellent position, awesome staff and just generally awesome. I'll never leave this place !

Great hostel and great staff! Keep up!

• 4th Apr 2015
  • Sweden

Thanks so much!! Please come back soon and download our app to stay in touch :)

Great London Hostel to stay in, easy going efficient staff giving the hostel a nice relaxed feel to it. Great breakfast on offer and good kitchen facilities to cook meals in, nice clean rooms and a great location to explore East London from. Really enjoyed my stay and will definitely be back here again on my next visit to London.

• 2nd Apr 2015
  • Scotland

Hey there! Thanks for the great feedback. So glad you enjoyed your time down in East London. I'm sure there's still loads left for you to discover, though (download our app to see!). Hope to see you back here soon ;) Cheers!

This was a great clean and fun place to stay as I was coming to London for a party in Shoreditch. It worked out cheaper than staying with friends and getting a taxi back as it's so well located. I enjoyed the free breakfast and it was nice to chat with the ppl visiting London and the person who worked there even let me use their phone charger as id forgotten mine. The room was smaller than other hostels ive stayed in but I think it was great value for money for central London. I'll be back :)

Hi! Thanks for leaving us some feedback :) Sounds like you had a great time in Shoreditch - hope to see you back again soon! All the best :)

my luggage box was broken, the staff changed my room without telling me (they send me an email while i was staying there, not only the wifi wasn't working, also i was upstairs! they could have told me before putting all my stuff (wet and dry) into a single box (and throwing my cookies)). the bathroom in my new room had the worst sewer smell i've ever scent. just pointing out what was wrong, the rest wasn't bad.

This is an awesome place to stay, staff very friendly and helpful at all times and a great way to meet new people and friends. Very clean with a great communal area to cook and socialise. In a great location with plenty of bars, clubs and other amenities. Highly recommended.

• 31st Mar 2015

Thanks so much for the great review!! :) I will definitely pass on your positive comments to the staff at our weekly team meeting - they love hearing feedback from happy guests. All the best with your future travels.

Totally loved my stay at Dictionary, all the staff were super helpful, breakfast was great (and free) and just had a great stay there. Amazing location as I wanted to be near Brick Lane and its the only hostel anywhere near this area. Only thing that would be improved would be more sun so I could have used the outdoor space, it was lovely. Not the cheapest hostel I have ever stayed in but this meant that it was a nice place to be, rather than a scruffy dirty place. Would definitely return!!!

• 31st Mar 2015

Hi! Thanks for your amazing review!! :) :) So glad you enjoyed our breakfast and being near to Brick Lane - it's such a cool area to just go for a wander. In case you fancy a second breakfast next time, there is a breakfast cereal cafe on Brick Lane that I can heartily recommend ;) Shame about the lack of sunshine! You should have seen it this weekend - glorious weather. Hope to see you back again soon! All the best :)

nice hostel. cool rooms. someone said there was a swing in theirs. bit noisy as someone was sawing something and making a new floor but ok it was only at 4pm so it was fine. would come back.

• 31st Mar 2015

Hi! Thanks for the comments :) You're right! There are swings in rooms W and X, two of our 10 bed dorms - they're great fun. ;) Sorry if you were disturbed by our handyman, Andrew - he's been busy at work laying the floor in our new lounge area, but it's nearly done now. It'll all be worth it in the end - thanks for your understanding. All the best with the rest of your travels. :)

First stay in a hostel. Was a bit sceptical but there was no need. Yes you don't get the frills of a hotel but then you are paying like 17 quid for a night in zone 1 in London. Breakfast was great tbh and I enjoyed the Brick Lane bagels. Used the app the next morning to go and explore Shoreditch and followed the route. Saw some pretty interesting places. They should add more routes though but I think they said it was new so I guess they will. Overall was a clean room, comfy bed & friendly staff.

• 31st Mar 2015

Wow! Thanks so much for making us your first ever hostel :) You never forget your first time! I'm so excited that you used the app - we've been putting so much work into it that it's great to hear people are enjoying it :D More routes will be coming soon, I promise! Hope to see you back in Shoreditch sometime in the near future :)

Stopped at the Dictionary last year & there's been a massive improvement since then! They have an amazing new reception/common area. They are still putting the finishing touches to it but you can see it's going to be ace. They've sorted the issue they had last time with the bed allocations & now you get this little card to mark your bed as taken. And they had free cake & champagne at checked in lol!! Best bit was they have an app with local info - never even seen that in a hotel. Very useful! :)

Thanks for your kind words! We've put a lot of effort in over the winter period to make improvements to the hostel and I'm so glad to hear you think it's paid off! The bed allocations are working really well now and the lounge is looking great - yay! Thanks for using the app too - I think it's really useful and I'm glad you agree. Hope you will come again and see even more improvements next time. ;) Cheers!

Staff were helpful when I fell ill on checkout day, sorted me a late checkout and into a new bed asap. Only issue is the noise, but they sell ear plugs for 50p at reception.

Hi! Hope you are feeling much better now! Glad you found the staff to be so helpful - they are all lovely ;) We do our best to assist everyone in need. Hope you'll come back again and have a much healthier visit next time. All the best :)

I stayed for 6 nights. The room was extremely loud (room C), even though I was against the back wall all the way away from the door. The door slams loudly, the lockers are the loudest metal lockers ever, and the staff played Foosball right outside the room's window til 11:30ish on some nights. Might be a fine place if you're in Shoreditch to get drunk and back to the room at 3am, but certainly not if you're a business traveler or someone who just wants to sleep early. Would not stay again.

First off I'm sorry to hear you had issues in Room C. :( You're right that the staff run foosball tournaments. They should finish by 11pm when the courtyard shuts, but this mustn't have been the case on this occasion. Apologies! You're also right, if your main reason for staying is business/to get a great night's sleep, I'd probably not recommend a 16bed dorm. Instead I'd suggest a 4bed or private room. This way you're much more likely to get a good rest. :) Thanks for reviewing & all the best.

The showers need changing.

Oh no! I have asked the maintenance manager to look into the smell in the shower straight away. Sincere apologies for any inconvenience this caused you. I hope you manged to use one of the other showers in the communal areas of the building in the meantime. Thanks for leaving us your feedback. We'd love to have you back, so please do give us another try in the future. All the best.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4