The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Great location. One of the better hostels I've stayed in. The beds are comfortable and clean and there is good security. Even though it is located right beside a bar, I had a comfortable sleep each night. If I'm in the area again, I'll be returning to this hostel.

• 23rd Aug 2014

A rating of 20% I'm being generous, after travelling for 3 months this was by far the worst hostel I've ever stayed in! If it's mice, then this is your place! Oh and did I mention the service... Do yourself a big favour and avoid at all costs!

• 21st Aug 2014

This place has a great location to party hard but that also dictates the type of person staying here. It's nothing but a backpacker geto. Not only international but a large amount of no hoper young British drug dealers, facilitating an income from organising drugs for all the backpackers. The staff are all backpackers and seem to wonder freely between rooms. One morning I had a smelly dreadlocked guy walk in on me in shower, 10min later some British girl stralls into room without knocking.

Not much sleep, but that was what I expected... My room and the toilet were clean, great people in the room and all around... The location is perfect!! Good times! I would definitely stay in The Dictionary again.

Showers didn't work half the time and there was one room that apparently had two mice in it.

The hostel had a good vibe, convenient cafe and bar next door. We stayed in room A which is on the ground level. This room can basically be accessed by anyone who walks in off the street. Since there are bars on either side of the hostel, it is extremely loud compared to other rooms upstairs. Its awesome that people like to hang out together from the hostel, but they were blasting music in the lobby until the late AM which is on the other side of our room... needless to say this was obnoxious.

• 15th Aug 2014

Very dirty, smelly, far from city centre. Beds looked dirty, extremely loud at night. Very dirty once again. The lady at the front desk acknowledge her piece of pizza and proceeded by eating it before serving me.

Constant lack of water (couldn't use taps and showers 4 times in a 3-day stay. Once water stopped running while I was having a shower). We "got visited" by a mouse one night at the reception - really disgusting. Kitchen was extremely messy and dirty. No clean dishes available. No luggage scale available (even though it was advertised on the wall). Internet didn't work on the fourth floor. I paid for it and couldn't use it.

• 15th Aug 2014

We had read a lot of horror stories before we went on our stay but we were pleasantly surprised to see the improvements on the place.

• 14th Aug 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Mice crawling around every night was pretty gross. Beds were hard. But the location is excellent. Not that close to a tube station but right in the middle of the hip neighborhood of Shoreditch.

Thanks for your feedback. We like our location too, but you're right - the mice are gross. We are doing our very best to get rid of them!

The room itself was ok, the lockers under the bed and the plug near the bed too. However, the window sill was dirty so my bed being against the window got dirty. The shower did not work or had extremely low pressure and the bathroom was not particularly clean. People shouting and making a lot of noise outside during the middle of the night did not allow for a very good sleep. I chose this place as it was close to where I had to go but it is unlikely I go back there.

Perfect place to stay in London on budget, Shoreditch is an incredible neighborghood, but be sure to bring some earplugs because is a little noisy at night

No windows in 16 bed mixed dorm aside from skylight that opened about 5cm - thus the smells and the heat were stiffling

• 8th Aug 2014

Somebody from the hostel came out to the common space/court yard only once to tell people they couldn't sit there anymore. People ignored him and continued to sit there talking really loud and a lot of people were already trying to sleep in the neighboring rooms. And I had to wake up at 5 so I was not really happy.

• 5th Aug 2014

Thanks for taking the time to give us this feedback. We are working on increasing the sound insulation around the rooms, but will also speak to our staff to ensure that they are closing the courtyard properly and on time.

Great hostel, staff were sooo helpful, Emma in particular was amazing when we arrived. Really good facilities, kitchen had everything we needed. Breakfast and lunch prices were very reasonable. The walk to Liverpool street station took about 15 minutes, but there was a bus stop just outside the hostel making it easy enough to get around. Overall, had a really good stay! Would recommend this place for sure

• 5th Aug 2014

Thanks for the great review! We really appreciate it!

Kitchen was closed and the staff took a long time to check people in. But location is good and showers worked, which was a plus!

2nd time I've stayed here and it's great. Top stuff. Cheers

Thanks for the review. We're glad you love it here too!

staff was Good but , i din't finish my stay be cause of my 44 years old . the one of your staff told me I m not allow to stay In the Dictionary hostels be cause of my age . I like the place it very quiet area and clean very very nice hostels i never see in London . but when I have booked on line I din't see the age required to stay in the Dictionary hostels . Me As UK citizen I would like to say that you try to give opportunity to other customers travelers of age from 35 to 50 .

• 3rd Aug 2014
  • Angola

Thanks for giving us this feedback, and we sincerely apologise for the inconvenience to you.

It was a great experience staying at the dictionary, the showers however function very poorly. Sometimes the water turned boiling hot for minutes on end, or stopped working all together. The staff is helpful, outgoing and fun but they couldn't fix it. Also, the room could get quite hot. These issues didnt take away the lovely atmosphere and the good company around there though, it was a sweet stay.

• 1st Aug 2014

Thanks so much for the great review! We are still trying very hard to get the showers working properly, and to get some more airflow through the rooms.

The staff was great , rooms were ok with lockers and wifi was good. Many shops nearby

Thanks for the review. We think our staff are pretty great too!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7