The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Location was amazing, right in the heart of Shoreditch. When you stay in the city centre it's always going to be loud at times, but it's definitely worth it and the staff members made for a pleasant stay.

• 15th Apr 2015

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear you enjoyed our location in the heart of Shoreditch. I will pass on your kind words to our staff at our weekly meeting later on. Make sure you come back soon and thanks again! :)

The Dictionary Hostel is as definitive as its name! What hip funky place to be! I am coming back as soon as I can!!

• 11th Apr 2015
  • South Africa

Thank you so much for your great review! We can't wait to have you back either. Get planning that return trip! :)

Great hostel! Nice friendly staff and awesome atmosphere. I stayed over the weekend and had a great time seeing the local sights during the day and checking out the bars at night. If I'm ever in East London again in know where I will be staying!

Hey! Thanks for the feedback :) Glad you enjoyed all that Shoreditch has to offer, both by day and by night. Download our app to stay connected with us and to keep up with all that's going on in Shoreditch and East London. Cheers!

Great hostel and great staff! Keep up!

• 4th Apr 2015
  • Sweden

Thanks so much!! Please come back soon and download our app to stay in touch :)

Great London Hostel to stay in, easy going efficient staff giving the hostel a nice relaxed feel to it. Great breakfast on offer and good kitchen facilities to cook meals in, nice clean rooms and a great location to explore East London from. Really enjoyed my stay and will definitely be back here again on my next visit to London.

• 2nd Apr 2015
  • Scotland

Hey there! Thanks for the great feedback. So glad you enjoyed your time down in East London. I'm sure there's still loads left for you to discover, though (download our app to see!). Hope to see you back here soon ;) Cheers!

This was a great clean and fun place to stay as I was coming to London for a party in Shoreditch. It worked out cheaper than staying with friends and getting a taxi back as it's so well located. I enjoyed the free breakfast and it was nice to chat with the ppl visiting London and the person who worked there even let me use their phone charger as id forgotten mine. The room was smaller than other hostels ive stayed in but I think it was great value for money for central London. I'll be back :)

Hi! Thanks for leaving us some feedback :) Sounds like you had a great time in Shoreditch - hope to see you back again soon! All the best :)

This is an awesome place to stay, staff very friendly and helpful at all times and a great way to meet new people and friends. Very clean with a great communal area to cook and socialise. In a great location with plenty of bars, clubs and other amenities. Highly recommended.

• 31st Mar 2015

Totally loved my stay at Dictionary, all the staff were super helpful, breakfast was great (and free) and just had a great stay there. Amazing location as I wanted to be near Brick Lane and its the only hostel anywhere near this area. Only thing that would be improved would be more sun so I could have used the outdoor space, it was lovely. Not the cheapest hostel I have ever stayed in but this meant that it was a nice place to be, rather than a scruffy dirty place. Would definitely return!!!

• 31st Mar 2015

Hi! Thanks for your amazing review!! :) :) So glad you enjoyed our breakfast and being near to Brick Lane - it's such a cool area to just go for a wander. In case you fancy a second breakfast next time, there is a breakfast cereal cafe on Brick Lane that I can heartily recommend ;) Shame about the lack of sunshine! You should have seen it this weekend - glorious weather. Hope to see you back again soon! All the best :)

nice hostel. cool rooms. someone said there was a swing in theirs. bit noisy as someone was sawing something and making a new floor but ok it was only at 4pm so it was fine. would come back.

• 31st Mar 2015

Hi! Thanks for the comments :) You're right! There are swings in rooms W and X, two of our 10 bed dorms - they're great fun. ;) Sorry if you were disturbed by our handyman, Andrew - he's been busy at work laying the floor in our new lounge area, but it's nearly done now. It'll all be worth it in the end - thanks for your understanding. All the best with the rest of your travels. :)

First stay in a hostel. Was a bit sceptical but there was no need. Yes you don't get the frills of a hotel but then you are paying like 17 quid for a night in zone 1 in London. Breakfast was great tbh and I enjoyed the Brick Lane bagels. Used the app the next morning to go and explore Shoreditch and followed the route. Saw some pretty interesting places. They should add more routes though but I think they said it was new so I guess they will. Overall was a clean room, comfy bed & friendly staff.

• 31st Mar 2015

Wow! Thanks so much for making us your first ever hostel :) You never forget your first time! I'm so excited that you used the app - we've been putting so much work into it that it's great to hear people are enjoying it :D More routes will be coming soon, I promise! Hope to see you back in Shoreditch sometime in the near future :)

Stopped at the Dictionary last year & there's been a massive improvement since then! They have an amazing new reception/common area. They are still putting the finishing touches to it but you can see it's going to be ace. They've sorted the issue they had last time with the bed allocations & now you get this little card to mark your bed as taken. And they had free cake & champagne at checked in lol!! Best bit was they have an app with local info - never even seen that in a hotel. Very useful! :)

Thanks for your kind words! We've put a lot of effort in over the winter period to make improvements to the hostel and I'm so glad to hear you think it's paid off! The bed allocations are working really well now and the lounge is looking great - yay! Thanks for using the app too - I think it's really useful and I'm glad you agree. Hope you will come again and see even more improvements next time. ;) Cheers!

Staff were helpful when I fell ill on checkout day, sorted me a late checkout and into a new bed asap. Only issue is the noise, but they sell ear plugs for 50p at reception.

• 25th Mar 2015

Hi! Hope you are feeling much better now! Glad you found the staff to be so helpful - they are all lovely ;) We do our best to assist everyone in need. Hope you'll come back again and have a much healthier visit next time. All the best :)

I stayed for 6 nights. The room was extremely loud (room C), even though I was against the back wall all the way away from the door. The door slams loudly, the lockers are the loudest metal lockers ever, and the staff played Foosball right outside the room's window til 11:30ish on some nights. Might be a fine place if you're in Shoreditch to get drunk and back to the room at 3am, but certainly not if you're a business traveler or someone who just wants to sleep early. Would not stay again.

The showers need changing.

Oh no! I have asked the maintenance manager to look into the smell in the shower straight away. Sincere apologies for any inconvenience this caused you. I hope you manged to use one of the other showers in the communal areas of the building in the meantime. Thanks for leaving us your feedback. We'd love to have you back, so please do give us another try in the future. All the best.

I've booked two dorms (a 16-bed and a 8-bed) for a 24-people group. The booking process was very easy, and the staff very accommodating. There are pubs and places to eat all around the area, and a Tesco express close by, which was very useful. The only complaints we would have is that the wi-fi was practically non-existent and the products available for breakfast were very lacking. But these are minor things, so overall - awesome trip!

• 27th Feb 2015
  • Romania

Thanks for the feedback! :) Glad you found our location & staff so great. There is free wifi in reception, but we are switching our wifi provider for the rest of the hostel. For breakfast we offer 4 types of cereal, two types of bread, fresh croissants/bagels, jams, butter, peanut butter, honey, 2 types of juice, coffee, tea & milk. It's all free, so I don't think it's a bad spread, but please feel free to speak to reception if you think there is something missing. Hope to see you again soon :)

The Dictionary is ideally located in the heart of Shoreditch. Our room/bathroom was always clean and it was one of the comfiest bunks ive slept in! The reception staff were always really friendly and helpful, we definitley appreciated being able to store our luggage on check in/out days. The facilities of the hostel were impressive - but with only staying 2 nights we didnt have much time to make the most of them. The courtyard would be ideal in summer - great excuse to plan a return trip..

Thanks for the great comments. Hopefully when you next come we can push it to 100% :) Glad you had such a good time with us.

I was in London on business, an had a great stay! An ideal location in the heart of Shoreditch! The food at the bar next door is very nice and you get a discount when you stay in the Hostel, Lauren was very helpful and had answers to all my questions, I'm sure I will be returning sometime soon.

Thanks for the great review! Glad you made the most of our discount in the bar. Very sensible indeed ;) I will pass on your comments to Lauren too! See you again soon!

Incredible stay, incredible location. Staff was accessible and really helpful

• 17th Feb 2015

Thanks for the positive comments. Love to hear from another satisfied guest. Hope to see you again soon and all the best for the rest of your travels.

The lock to access the rooms area wasn't working, wasn't clean, Shared room in the first floor wasn't available due some maintenance, I couldn't had breakfast... was gone at 945... in general not what you want to experience in a Hostel

• 9th Feb 2015
  • Chile

Thanks for your comments. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us :( The lock's under repair. We have a new one, we're just waiting for the electrician to wire it. Should be back up soon. We have a locking front door, CCTV & locks on all rooms in the meantime though. The hostel's cleaned every day 10-2, but I'll definitely speak with the team. We can always improve! Free breakfast is open 8-10am daily, but it's best to be early to get the best choice. All the best for your trip!

this should be a good hostel for the general facility, a perfect equipped kitchen, but wifi is the most important facility nowadays, unacceptable poor and slow, even I pay extra 1pound for another so call fast network, is still very slow.

Thanks for leaving us your feedback. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with our wifi. :( The free wifi's fine for checking email, facebook & browsing etc. The paid wifi should be ok for anything more but is dependent on usage. We're trying to improve it & are looking at making it free, but sadly it's a very expensive task as the infrastructure is not yet in place & it'll take some investment to allow our 220 guests to stream films etc at once. But we're working on it! ;)

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4