The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

It's a really nice hostel. Crew is awesome.

• 16th Oct 2014
  • Austria

The dictionary is a fine place if you're only in London to party, and have no intention of spending any time at the actual hostel. The rooms are tiny with no air-flow so it gets hot and smelly fast. The organisation isn't stellar but that's mostly due to the lack of any moving space in this property. Paying 1£ P/day for wifi that never worked was a shame. Some of the staff was great while others couldn't be bothered to help out. It's not a place to stay if you have anything to do other than rage

Breakfast vouchers would be a great idea to get that value for money up, the cafe/bar next to is so convenient! The breaky burrito could do with an avo salsa on top and a bit more filling. The laundrette right next door and Banksy piece 2 minutes walk away. Epic! The Shoreditch area is awesome, def worth staying a few nights at the Dictionary :)

• 13th Oct 2014

I expected much better from this hostel. First of all, the room I was in was really small, people's stuff everywhere, and also very ugly... Their bed allocating system is really bad, I had to wake up in the middle of the night because they were looking for empty beds. Twice. Some of the staff was rude. My food was stolen twice, so decided to keep it in my room anyway... They clean the toilets once a day, so in the evening it is very dirty. The lock on the door was broken so anyone could come in.

Shower facilities need to be updated, water temperature was either really hot or really cold, if at all (at 9am). Location of hostel is in a trendy area with plenty of access to good bars, restaurants and public transportation. However really loud between the hours of 12am - 4am...

It was my first UK hostel and compared to other places in the world the rooms were super small. Staff was friendly but during check in (I arrived at 1:30am) they didn't have a key card for me and she gave me a bed that I realized the next morning that it was not clean. Then two days later they cleaned my bed (throwing my t-shirt away) since the cleaning crew thought that I had checked out. Only one bed out of the six in the room had a functioning chain to lock your stuff. The rest were broken

• 8th Oct 2014
  • Greece

The location right in the heart of Shoreditch is fantastic and very well connected with public transport links. However, I am slightly disappointed by my stay here as the staff are mostly rude and unfriendly and very disorganised. They didn't seem to have any idea of what was going on in regards to their reservations and were rude when handling mistakes they'd made. Kitchen is great, but plumbing and bathrooms could be better. Not an entirely awful stay, but I expected more for what I paid.

As somebody previously wrote, this place is a backpacker hole. And that is a very accurate description. If you're into something tidy, with many facilities and staff that cares at all, go elsewhere. Huge plus - there is a kitchen (I was in hostels in London which don't have a kitchen at all) Huge minuses - normal speed WiFi is not free, food disappearing from the fridge for TWO consecutive days even when it was LABELED, some of staff were unpleasant, new bed linen which was quite dirty.

Poor security and no locks on most of the cages under the beds, also very dirty under the begs. Otherwise very happy with the stay.

Best thing about this hostel is its location. Hostel itself not so bad.

Not your average hostel goer: I'm 45 and never stayed in a hostel before. Needed last minute place to sleep and as hotels were full, tried the hostel. Great welcome, bed really comfy with nice crisp cotton sheets. Bit of noise but nothing you couldn't sleep through with a smile. Clean hot shower in the morning, on my way! Perfect, thank you.

• 24th Sep 2014

Thanks for your comments! Reviews like that remind us why we're in the job. :D We're so glad you loved your first hostelling experience! Hopefully this will be the first of many to come. :) It was probably a bit easier on your pocket than the local hotels too ;) Tell all your friends and hurry back soon!

This was such a cool, funky place. I would definitely stay there again.

It was very good, overall. I can only complain about the room for storing food. There was only one refrigerator filled up with food from people who were probably already gone, so it was not possible to store anything else.

• 23rd Sep 2014
  • Uruguay

outside the room were toilets and showers, that was good. But often the toilet paper was missing or they were closed.

• 23rd Sep 2014

Thanks for your comments! :) The toilet roll is replaced every day, but if you let reception know, they will be able to find you some more in the meantime. Come back soon!

Took about half an hour to get me checked in which was a bit of a drag on a Monday evening, but the staff were otherwise a bunch of friendly, cool blokes. A little bit of a labyrinth challenge navigating the way to my dormitory, and there are too few power sockets in the rooms to make a technology-dependent traveller completely satisfied. One of the top things about this affordable hostel is its location- Shoreditch is the part of London you want to be in.

Thanks for your great comments! Much appreciated! We hear you about check-in and we have a new passport scanner and computer to speed up everything at reception. Our building is a bit of a rabbit's warren, isn't it?! But I think it makes it quirky ;) Glad you loved the location and our staff. I will pass on your kind words. Come back soon :)

The worst hostel in five months of travel.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us :( On the positive side, if this was the worst place you stayed in 5 months, then you must have had an awesome trip! Wishing you all the best for your travels! Come back and see all the improvements we're making next time you are back in London. :)

I had a great time at the Dictionary. Location is great, and you have everything you need close by. Within walking distance to Old Street station, so it's real easy to get out and doing things. Staff is great too. Cheers guys ;)

They take advantage of the location to allow a bad management. We were 16 in the room with 1 toilet. No common space except the kitchen. In the kitchen no windows, 1 fridge was broken the other one full of disgusting things and 1 sink was broken so 1 sink for the whole hostel. The staff act as if you were bothering and except the cages under your bed there is 0 security (anyone enter in the hostel, the rooms and the luggage room). I heard of 5 different stories of things missing.

We're so sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. You came just as our maintenance man was renovating the kitchen. We have 2 brand new, bigger fridges now & a brand new worktop (which is why the sink was temporarily out of order). We're having a big extension in the basement next year to create more chillout areas. Hopefully that'll be a big improvement :) All our rooms have keycard locks & there's a coded security door & CCTV so hopefully you should feel safe. At least you liked the location ;)

This hostel was good! They had cage lockers underneath the bunks which I really appreciated -- but of course bring your own lock. The staff were really friendly. The only problems I had were the bathrooms and the noise level. The water from one of the showers would run on then shut off. With the noise level, the hostel is located in an area with a lot of bars -- should've done more research on my end for that. You can definitely hear bumping music from around the hostel at night.

• 18th Sep 2014

Hey! Thanks for your kind comments. We're working on the shower situation. It happens at peak times when lots of people are trying to shower at once. We are getting a bigger pipe from the water authorities though, so all should be resolved soon! :) Shoreditch can be a bit of a party area, so we have earplugs at reception if you ever need them. Glad you liked our cage lockers - they're cool aren't they!? Hope to see you again soon! :)

After waiting to be checked in we were taken to our room and told to choose two beds...there was only one bed as they do not actually assign beds. One of us went downstairs to resolve the problem, after waiting a decent amount of time the staff came up to look at the situation only to decide that he couldn't figure it out and would have to talk to management and asked if we needed the bed right away (we arrived at 7pm or so). There was only one key that the staff had so you needed them to enter.

• 17th Sep 2014

Thanks for the feedback. I'm so sorry for the problems you encountered. We have had a delivery of keycards now and are trialing a new bed allocation system, so hopefully there will a be an improvement in that respect. Reception should also become quicker as we have a new passport scanner and computer. Hopefully you'll come back soon and see the improvements for yourself! :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7