The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Not much sleep, but that was what I expected... My room and the toilet were clean, great people in the room and all around... The location is perfect!! Good times! I would definitely stay in The Dictionary again.

Showers didn't work half the time and there was one room that apparently had two mice in it.

We had read a lot of horror stories before we went on our stay but we were pleasantly surprised to see the improvements on the place.

• 14th Aug 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Mice crawling around every night was pretty gross. Beds were hard. But the location is excellent. Not that close to a tube station but right in the middle of the hip neighborhood of Shoreditch.

Thanks for your feedback. We like our location too, but you're right - the mice are gross. We are doing our very best to get rid of them!

The room itself was ok, the lockers under the bed and the plug near the bed too. However, the window sill was dirty so my bed being against the window got dirty. The shower did not work or had extremely low pressure and the bathroom was not particularly clean. People shouting and making a lot of noise outside during the middle of the night did not allow for a very good sleep. I chose this place as it was close to where I had to go but it is unlikely I go back there.

Perfect place to stay in London on budget, Shoreditch is an incredible neighborghood, but be sure to bring some earplugs because is a little noisy at night

No windows in 16 bed mixed dorm aside from skylight that opened about 5cm - thus the smells and the heat were stiffling

• 8th Aug 2014

Somebody from the hostel came out to the common space/court yard only once to tell people they couldn't sit there anymore. People ignored him and continued to sit there talking really loud and a lot of people were already trying to sleep in the neighboring rooms. And I had to wake up at 5 so I was not really happy.

• 5th Aug 2014

Thanks for taking the time to give us this feedback. We are working on increasing the sound insulation around the rooms, but will also speak to our staff to ensure that they are closing the courtyard properly and on time.

Great hostel, staff were sooo helpful, Emma in particular was amazing when we arrived. Really good facilities, kitchen had everything we needed. Breakfast and lunch prices were very reasonable. The walk to Liverpool street station took about 15 minutes, but there was a bus stop just outside the hostel making it easy enough to get around. Overall, had a really good stay! Would recommend this place for sure

• 5th Aug 2014

Thanks for the great review! We really appreciate it!

Kitchen was closed and the staff took a long time to check people in. But location is good and showers worked, which was a plus!

2nd time I've stayed here and it's great. Top stuff. Cheers

Thanks for the review. We're glad you love it here too!

staff was Good but , i din't finish my stay be cause of my 44 years old . the one of your staff told me I m not allow to stay In the Dictionary hostels be cause of my age . I like the place it very quiet area and clean very very nice hostels i never see in London . but when I have booked on line I din't see the age required to stay in the Dictionary hostels . Me As UK citizen I would like to say that you try to give opportunity to other customers travelers of age from 35 to 50 .

• 3rd Aug 2014
  • Angola

Thanks for giving us this feedback, and we sincerely apologise for the inconvenience to you.

It was a great experience staying at the dictionary, the showers however function very poorly. Sometimes the water turned boiling hot for minutes on end, or stopped working all together. The staff is helpful, outgoing and fun but they couldn't fix it. Also, the room could get quite hot. These issues didnt take away the lovely atmosphere and the good company around there though, it was a sweet stay.

• 1st Aug 2014

Thanks so much for the great review! We are still trying very hard to get the showers working properly, and to get some more airflow through the rooms.

The staff was great , rooms were ok with lockers and wifi was good. Many shops nearby

Thanks for the review. We think our staff are pretty great too!

Very clean, safe, friendly staff, in a good location for what we wanted, very good price. Had trouble sleeping- noise from club next door kept us up, automatic light in hallway annoying, staff walked in at 2am turning main light on in room, check in was too early considering we couldn't sleep- we would have paid extra to have a later check-out time.

• 31st Jul 2014

Very busy, good vibe. Although very noisy at night so would definitely recommend it to partygoers who don't plan on going to sleep before 3am.

Rooms had poor ventilation so the air had mildew in it all the time. WiFi did not work in rooms unless you purchased "fast WiFi" showers were either scalding or frigid. Alright location, would spend the extra and get a nicer hostel next time

• 29th Jul 2014

Thanks for your feedback. We are working on both the ventilation issue and the showers, but thanks for taking the time to let us know.

FIVE OF US STAYED AT THIS HOSTEL IN ROOM "W", DURING OUR FOUR NIGHTS THERE, WE WERE VICTIM OF A BED-BUG ATTACK, WHICH LEFT US ITCHING AND COVERED IN LARGE RED LUMPS. AS FAR AS WE ARE CONCERNED, NO MENTION WAS MADE TO US AT THE TIME OF OUR CHECK-IN TO AN EXISTING PROBLEM WITHIN THE BUILDING. IF WE HAD KNOWN BEFOREHAND, NO WAY WOULD WE HAVE BOOKED THE ACCOMMODATION IN THE FIRST PLACE, LET ALONE SLEEP THERE. PROSPECTIVE GUESTS SHOULD TAKE NOTE! WE ARE WITH HOLDING PAYMENT. LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP!

We're very sorry for the negative experience you had with us. We have a professional pest control company working on the bed bugs and were under the impression that that room should have been bug free. We appreciate that this was an uncomfortable and distressing thing to have happen, and again, our sincerest apologies.

Neighborhood and staff were awesome. My compliments especially go out to Jade and Giorgio, you rock guys! Only bummer was the fridges in the kitchen. There were many unlabelled plastic bags and definitely this could be improved. Apart from that I had the best time and very much liked the place!

• 25th Jul 2014
  • Switzerland

Thanks for the feedback - we will make sure our cleaners are regularly checking the fridges like they should be! Glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay though!

It's next to several bars and clubs so it's very lively in the night. If you don't like party and prefer a quiet neighborhood probably you don't wanna stay here. But if you come for party, it's perfect to stay.

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. We do quite enjoy our location in the party area, but also hope that those looking for a good night's sleep will get that with us as well.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7