The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

very very cool but do NOT stay here in summer the rooms have no windows and are absolutely sweltering

Its a good place to stay in terms of location. However, the air condition was not working in our room.

Good location to restaurants and bars and Liverpool street station is only a 10-15 minute walk. Didn't like that you had to pay a pound each day for Internet in your room. Also, our room had absolutely no air circulation so during the day in a London heatwave was absolutely miserable. The room trapped the hot air in so even when it was cool at night, the room was still so hot and sticky. The staff was nice and helpful and the bar was good and pretty good prices.

Overall experience was okay. Poor ventilation in the room on the top floor. The shower and tap just turned off multiple times due to no water pressure. Floor could do with a vacuum. Power outlets for each bed would be an improvement, but was okay. Highly highly recommend Translate Bar next door, excellent coffee, drinks and food :)

The hostel is a great hostel in Shoredtich High Street for a party. I live in East London and know the area well, and I know it is loud, noisy, and filled with nightlife, however, I think the hostel needs to let people know just how loud it is. Unfortunately, I was just there for a layover in between trips, but got zero sleep. Would come back for a crazy weekend, but they need to advertise that you are basically sleeping inside a club. Showers/bathroom suck and are dirty, but I suppose its LDN.

Plumbing was the worst, the water wouldn't work at all for showers, toilets and sink. This created a situation where the bathroom were always messy. No free wifi in the rooms. The staff couldn't tell the proper way to get to Luton airport so I missed my flight

• 27th Jun 2015

The staff are very nice and the location is good. But the shower is not working properly, sometimes the water is freezing and sometimes is scorching.

• 26th Jun 2015
  • Hong Kong

Shower didnt work properly for a week and the bathroom wasnt exactly clean

- Didn't expect to buy a padlock for a locker. First time I saw that in a Hostel. - Location is really good. - Staff is nice. - Found some stains on my bed sheets, and that was in the afternoon, right after ''cleaning'' and my check in. - I knew London wasn't going to be cheap, but still... - 1 toilet in a room for 16 people. You have around 30 secs to take a shower (limited water). - There were actually more than 16 people sleeping in the 16 bed dorm. - People play Foosball at 3 AM.

Hey. Thanks for your review :) In all honesty, it is quite common to use padlocks for lockers. You don't have to buy our padlocks, you're welcome use your own too. Sorry about the sheets! They're professionally laundered but we'll always happily change them if you encounter an issue. You're right, the en-suite has 2 showers & a toilet & there's 2 more toilets just outside the dorm door. Glad you enjoyed the location so much and found the staff to be so friendly :) Hope to see you again soon! :)

Great people. Really fun experience.

• 16th Jun 2015

Enough said! Thanks for the great review :)

I did not like this hostel very much. It was pretty expensive, first of all. They said they had free wifi, but you had to pay to get a password and then that paid internet was not even good. There was one girl at the counter that was really nice, but the rest of the people there were not nice or helpful. Breakfast was good.

Solid hostel experience. Both the staff at the front desk and in the kitchen were lovely!

The smaller, more expensive rooms are positioned next to the common area, which makes them noisy. Also the ventilation is poor and rooms stuffy, providing a fan would help. Pillows could do with replacing too.

Thanks for your comments! You're right, we have 2x6 bed dorms by the courtyard. Sorry you found it noisy :/ We do shut the courtyard @11pm to try & prevent disturbance. We have 48 other beds in small dorms throughout the hostel so you can always request to be swapped room if you're unhappy & we'll do our best to help ;) Pillows were all replaced in Dec but I'll check it out today. We do have fans which are now out in the rooms. We were caught out by the unseasonably good weather for UK, sorry!!

Loved the people, culture, and location! Wasn't a big fan of the facilities and cleanliness. Overall, a very positive experience though.

Thanks for your comments. Glad you loved so much of us! :) Sorry to hear you mention cleanliness and facilities :/ We do clean every day from 10-2 but you can always request a top up if something's happened in the room or we've missed a spot. Just ask at reception ;) Happy you had such a positive experience overall though.

The WiFi needs to be strongly improved. Paying 1 pound should provide decent WiFi but it is still quite slow (even whe hotel wasn't packed) and it disconnects often.

Good hostel in a very trendy area. Beds were comfy and clean, while the bathroom could have been cleaner (to be fair this could have been due to the people in the room rather than the hostel). The power points in the bedroom were all next to one bed, so impossible to charge anything while someone was sleeping there. You also need to pay £1 for 24 hours of wifi in the rooms, and this kept on dropping out constantly.

I arrived 30 min before check in, song wasn't really acknowledged until check in time, to which I checked in 30 min after the time as staff had a que to check people in, I then went to my allocated room to find none of the beds were actually clean and I was to wait another hr for this to be done, no atmosphere in hostel staff not happy or nice - especially when your traveling you want some good energy. Location was good but that's it.

Overall, I had a pretty good time at The Dictionary. The location in Shoreditch was amazing, surrounded by plenty of bars, urban eateries, amazing street art, and trendy shops. The staff were very helpful and answered all of my questions thoroughly. Sociable guests! The rooms were okay, comfortable bed, really small shower. As mentioned in other reviews, the WiFi was essentially non-functioning, which was a bit frustrating. If you know it doesn't work, why still charge for premium access?

Hey! :) I do take your point about wifi. In all honesty it works well 90% of the time, it's just the 10% (mostly eves) when everyone logs on at once that's problematic. We are upgrading the network though, there's just a longer lead time on this than for domestic internet. Until then, we're giving out the paid wifi free if you let us know of a problem with the free one. Glad to hear you enjoyed the rest of your stay so much! Hope you'll come back soon & see all the improvements we're making!! :)

Great hostel! Staff were helpful, rooms were nice and clean with lockers for each guest, there are plenty of bars and restaurants around and you're only a short walk from the very trendy Brick Lane. Met some great people here and had an awesome time!

Thanks for the great review! Very happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us so much. I trust you tried a bagel from the famous 24/7 Beigel Bake shop whilst you were down on Brick Lane! They're a must!! ;) Hope to see you again soon.

Nice staff, clean and great location. Worst wifi of any hostel I've stayed and it's ridiculous that they charge for their "premium" wifi that only lasts for 24 hours per payment. The girls next door from Aus make a great cup of coffee at translate cafe

Hey there! Sorry - the wifi sucks at the moment - we know! :( We have signed a contract for super-strength industrial grade wifi with Virgin but we are just waiting for them to install it as there is a wait while they survey the property etc. Hopefully we should all be back up and online very soon and you can stream and download to your heart's content ;) But there's nothing like sipping on a great cup of coffee though while you wait, so I'm glad you enjoyed our cafe. Thanks for your patience :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4