The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Neighborhood and staff were awesome. My compliments especially go out to Jade and Giorgio, you rock guys! Only bummer was the fridges in the kitchen. There were many unlabelled plastic bags and definitely this could be improved. Apart from that I had the best time and very much liked the place!

• 25th Jul 2014
  • Switzerland

It's next to several bars and clubs so it's very lively in the night. If you don't like party and prefer a quiet neighborhood probably you don't wanna stay here. But if you come for party, it's perfect to stay.

I had a really bad experience during my last stay, as it happened that the bed in which I slept for two nights was infested by flees or similar insects. When I ask to change bed I was told everything was booked, 5 stayed free all night in the room I was. I contacted the manager on advise of the personal at the entrance, but still haven't got any answer back.

• 25th Jul 2014

The hostel was in a great location and kept clean, although one of the girls had bed bugs in her bed, the hostel reponded very well and gave her a refund, the bar/cafe was excellent and the food was great and very reasonable. We were in a room at the top of the hostel and it was ver hot and humid but this isnt a regular problem in England!

• 18th Jul 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

The Dictionary hostel seems to cop a lot of negative feedback from people in the reviews section... I really don't understand people's problem. If you want a sparkling clean, quiet, private place to stay where people don't "keep you up all night" then book into a 5 star hotel and don't stay at a hostel, period... If people are being loud - wear ear plugs? Seems logical...The Dictionary hostel was nothing but great. The staff are awesome, the location is amazing, and the atmosphere is amazing too

• 18th Jul 2014

Thanks for the great review! We really appreciate it! Hope to see you again soon :)

Got bedbugs in our room, which wasn't so pleasant. Seems like this is a problem that the hostel is struggling with. The staff was understanding and gave us a refund. Shoreditch is a nice area to stay in.

• 17th Jul 2014
  • Sweden

This hostel had some of the friendliest staff I've ever met, and it's connected an awesome cafe and bar. If you're wanting to meet some of the most fun and hilarious people in London, this is the place to go! The showers are not great, but if you're coming to London to have an amazing time! come to the Dictionary! Absolutely loved it!

Thanks for the great review! We're working on our shower issue, installing bigger pipes to get more supply from the mains, so hopefully that will be fixed soon too!

The Dictionary is very good. All the staff were really, really friendly and helpful. My only criticism would be that when I awoke very, very hungover at 5-6 in the morning I found no way of getting some water, the vending machine was broken, the tap water was allegedly unsafe to drink. This was during the recent heatwave as well, if I'd have had a method of drinking loads of water I could have saved myself from a hellish few hours writhing around in bed with a horrible headache.

Thanks for your review. The taps in our kitchen have filters on them, so drinking water is available in the kitchen, should you ever find yourself hungover in Shoreditch again :)

the service was poor, almost no facilities, missed free breakfast and wifi, there were mice in the kitchen, the bathrooms didn't work properly, showers were cold or no water at all, our toilet was broke, not enough bathrooms to facilitate hostel, the location is good, lots of pubs and other places around, but that means lots of noise at night.

Wow, that is a lot of things to go wrong during one stay, and we're so sorry for the disruptions it must have caused to your trip. We are currently working on improving the water supply in our building, and looking at ways to insulate the rooms against noise. Our wifi is back up and running and we have a professional pest control company addressing the issue with the mice. Again, our apologies - everything seemed to go wrong at once!

Very dirty floors, loud because it is over a bar Great area, nice to have a bar and restaurant and laundromat and cafe so close

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We are working with Translate to reduce the sound that comes through from the bar, as well as looking into solutions to reduce street noise in the rooms. We will speak to our cleaners about the floors. Glad you were able to make the most of our facilities during your stay :)

Great location. Thanks guys.

Thanks for the feedback! Hope to see you again soon!

To be honest the only good thing about this hostel was its location and it is only good if you are a party animal as music was blaring until 4 in the morning and after that the noise from outside was ridiculous. Facilities were zero the toilet in the room didnt work so we had to go downstairs to a toilet there was no light in. The shower was disgusting and didnt work even though we used it in non peak times. The staff were unfriendly and didnt care. Cool area bad hostel. Dont stay here.

• 11th Jul 2014

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with this feedback, and we're sorry you had some negative experiences during your stay. We are working hard to reduce the amount of noise in the rooms, looking into new windows and increased insulation from Translate. Our new maintenance manager is getting on top of the facilities issues, and we will speak to our cleaners about ensuring they always meet our high standards of cleanliness. We are working on the water supply issue with Thames water.

This hostel was great for what I wanted out of it. They aren't joking when they say it is loud at night. I was in a front room just above the street and it is lined with pubs, clubs and restaurants which are packed with young hip folks drinking, singing, dancing the night away. So of you are looking for calm/peaceful retreat this is not it. If you want to walk out the door right into a party yes! Even if you're into the parties a pair of earplugs won't hurt!

Thanks for your feedback, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay - Shoreditch is a lot of fun! We are working on reducing the noise from the bar and street that makes its way into the rooms. That way people can enjoy the party outside, but still come home to a good sleep :) We hope we will see you again soon!

The showers were the horror this time around. You could never be sure if there would be water coming out once you're covered in shower gel. You need to fix this - one of the worst showers I've ever had. And make sure that the storage boxes onder the beds can be locked again in all of the rooms..

• 9th Jul 2014

Thanks for your feedback. We are working with Thames Water to increase the mains supply to our building. Hopefully our showers will be back to full strength in no time!

We LOVED our stay at The Dictionary Hostel in Shoreditch. Not only was it located in a cool, upcoming part of town with a ton of great places to eat and hangout, but the staff was amazing and our room was perfect! Out of the 4 Hostels we stayed at during our trip, The Dictionary in Shoreditch was by far our favorite!

• 9th Jul 2014

Thanks for the fantastic review - we're so glad you enjoyed your stay!!

I couldn't lock my lagguage in a cage like other guys at the dorm had. More toilet facilities would have been nice (it's peak season). There were some problems with the wi fi. Could have used electrical socket next.to the bunk. The crew was extremely helpful advising about travelling ariund London and about the place facilities. The atmosphere was really great. Would come back again in another time in London.

• Israel

Thanks for your review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the feedback!

Staff very disorganised and not helpful at all. Internet wasn't working. Toilets and shower were very unclean, mouldy, most of the time blocked and unhygienic. Rooms as well - dirty floors, dust everywhere There were mice in the room!!!! I can believe this hostel is still open. I would never stay in this hostel again and I would not recommend anyone to stay there.

• 8th Jul 2014
  • Czech Republic

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with this feedback, and we're very sorry for the negative experience you had during your stay. Cleanliness is very important to us, so we will definitely be speaking to the cleaners (and other staff) about your concerns. We do have a pest control company working to get rid of the mice, but this can take a bit of time. Our internet is now back up and running - we were in a transition to a new provider during your stay & experienced some technical glitches.

Honestly, I hated this place. Things that were bad: 1. A mouse (or other sort of rodent) chewed a hole in my suitcase to eat some almonds I had forgotten were in there. 2. It was really dirty. 3. The free wifi only worked in the tiny, cramped, really uncomfortable lobby downstairs. The paid wifi was "broken" while I was there. 4. The showers barely worked. One morning there was no water whatsoever. Another, only freezing cold water. 5. Seemingly apathetic staff who didn't know anything.

Thanks for taking the time to review us and we apologise for the difficulties you experienced. We do have a pest control company working to ensure that there are no mice in the building, but this can take a bit of time. Cleanliness is very important to us, so we will be speaking to our cleaners (and other staff) about your concerns with their performance. We have identified a problem with getting enough water to the building from the mains supply and are working on that. The WiFi is now fixed.

the bathroom inside the room is blocked and dirty, which spoiled my whole experience there, and also cause flood when people take a shower, which make my bag soaking wet. The social area in the middle of 3 rooms on ground floor bring in all the noise, and sometimes, smoke. The toilet outside the rooms also smelly. However, kitchen and the whole atmosphere is ok.

• 8th Jul 2014
  • Vietnam

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, and we're sorry for the difficulties you experienced. Our maintenance manager and cleaners have been working in all of the bathrooms to ensure the drains are clear, and the hostel is clean. Smoking is not permitted in the courtyard, so we apologise if people were breaking that rule. We hope we will get the chance to see you again next time you're in London.

The Dictionary Hostel is wonderfully located in Shoreditch, with close access to nightlife and shopping. The service quality provided by the staff varied very much, but Emma was wonderful. Upon arrival we found the room open, untidy, and newly painted (but no sign of where this paint job had been performed in the room). In addition, the noice level was terrible some nights, with people using the outside seating areas as a party pad at 4 in the morning. Not possible to bring food into room.

Thanks for your feedback, and we're sorry you had some negative experiences during your stay. We are working on reducing the noise level in the rooms, as we appreciate that our guests come here for a good night's sleep!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7