The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

After waiting to be checked in we were taken to our room and told to choose two beds...there was only one bed as they do not actually assign beds. One of us went downstairs to resolve the problem, after waiting a decent amount of time the staff came up to look at the situation only to decide that he couldn't figure it out and would have to talk to management and asked if we needed the bed right away (we arrived at 7pm or so). There was only one key that the staff had so you needed them to enter.

• 17th Sep 2014

Be prepared that there will be no air to breathe in the night - as the window opens for a closed space. I would except more toilets for 16 people. One is not enough. You never know which bed is free and sometimes it was difficult to figure out for new people....

• 16th Sep 2014
  • Slovakia

This place could be so great, but really, it's very, very ordinary. Check in was absurdly slow, as was anything to do with the front desk. 6 bed room was obscenely small. Lockers not particularly secure. A lot of noise from the street, windows wouldn't close. Avoid thursday to saturday if you want sleep. No vibe in the common areas. Only thing going for it is the location.

Not sure when the showers and toilet were last cleaned, rooms are very squishy, Couldn't get a key card to access my room for 2 days. Checking in, out and anything involving staff was painfully slow.

Loved this hostel!! Staff was so nice

Friendliest staff in the land! Specially the Hungarian who greeted me on the way in!

This is the perfect hostel to stay at to enjoy the coolest area I have been to in London. The staff were friendly from the first moment I stepped in the door and and felt more like friends than employees. Definitely check it out!

It was pretty nice, the staff gave good info about the surroundings. The only problem was that the fire alarm went on at 4am, and it was pretty tiresome to get out of the building (it was also cold). Besides that, I had no problem at all.

• 11th Sep 2014

So many good things here. Staff, guests, location, beds. I stayed a few days then changed plans so I could stay a while longer! Seems like they're recently under new management and issues mentioned by others are being dealt with. I was sad to go and by the time I left it felt like saying goodbye to family. Would definitely stay again and recommend it to others!

Shower didn't drain properly, woken up by staff at 3am to confirm who was in the room and which person had overstayed.

Amazing location in shoreditch, friendly staff, nice rooms. Nothing to complain about! Would definitely stay there again.

Young people working here with little sense of what it menas to act professional. They made a misstake once with our key and then acted very badly. Sweet people but not very smart.

• 2nd Sep 2014
  • Sweden

The staff greeting was very poor. They were chatting amongst themselves and did not even say hello until they approached the main desk computer, which they said was undergoing a software update and would be very slow. Check-in took absolutely ages, and despite there being multiple members of staff on-site, service for purchases not even needing computer assistance was ridiculously slow. The hostel itself however was fine, clean and the bathroom was always stocked with toilet paper and soap.

• 29th Aug 2014
  • Romania

Pretty bumping hostel, awesome friendly staff. Facility's are a bit aged and shabby but that's how cheap anything works in London! If you want a clean palace for this price travel east or drop some serious pounds. Don't expect to sleep much, if at all. Party on the street in front of the hostel had locals thinking it was a bumping bar. A bit far from the centre of London but great for shore ditch. Don't stay here if your a princess.

very good atmosphere and very nice people in and around the hostel!!

• 26th Aug 2014
  • Switzerland

Great location. One of the better hostels I've stayed in. The beds are comfortable and clean and there is good security. Even though it is located right beside a bar, I had a comfortable sleep each night. If I'm in the area again, I'll be returning to this hostel.

• 23rd Aug 2014

A rating of 20% I'm being generous, after travelling for 3 months this was by far the worst hostel I've ever stayed in! If it's mice, then this is your place! Oh and did I mention the service... Do yourself a big favour and avoid at all costs!

• 21st Aug 2014

we had a great time, met nice and awesome people. the rooms are clean and the beds okay. anyway, sometimes the water didn't work while you were taking a shower but restartet only one or two minutes later. i missed a common room to hang out in the evening, because the ktichen was not very cosy. never the less I liked the hostel and can recommend it!

• 20th Aug 2014

This place has a great location to party hard but that also dictates the type of person staying here. It's nothing but a backpacker geto. Not only international but a large amount of no hoper young British drug dealers, facilitating an income from organising drugs for all the backpackers. The staff are all backpackers and seem to wonder freely between rooms. One morning I had a smelly dreadlocked guy walk in on me in shower, 10min later some British girl stralls into room without knocking.

A lot of things about this hostel really bothered me, but mostly the staff and the mice. The staff were unprofessional, unwilling to help, and put the blame on us for their mice infestation. They would only clean our bathroom on occasion or when they felt like it. The security at this hostel is so poor that they let anyone walk in at anytime... I was woken up by someone trying to steal my bag hanging on the edge of my bed. Cute looking hostel though.

• 18th Aug 2014