The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Friendliest staff in the land! Specially the Hungarian who greeted me on the way in!

This is the perfect hostel to stay at to enjoy the coolest area I have been to in London. The staff were friendly from the first moment I stepped in the door and and felt more like friends than employees. Definitely check it out!

So many good things here. Staff, guests, location, beds. I stayed a few days then changed plans so I could stay a while longer! Seems like they're recently under new management and issues mentioned by others are being dealt with. I was sad to go and by the time I left it felt like saying goodbye to family. Would definitely stay again and recommend it to others!

Shower didn't drain properly, woken up by staff at 3am to confirm who was in the room and which person had overstayed.

Amazing location in shoreditch, friendly staff, nice rooms. Nothing to complain about! Would definitely stay there again.

Young people working here with little sense of what it menas to act professional. They made a misstake once with our key and then acted very badly. Sweet people but not very smart.

• 2nd Sep 2014
  • Sweden

The staff greeting was very poor. They were chatting amongst themselves and did not even say hello until they approached the main desk computer, which they said was undergoing a software update and would be very slow. Check-in took absolutely ages, and despite there being multiple members of staff on-site, service for purchases not even needing computer assistance was ridiculously slow. The hostel itself however was fine, clean and the bathroom was always stocked with toilet paper and soap.

• 29th Aug 2014
  • Romania

Pretty bumping hostel, awesome friendly staff. Facility's are a bit aged and shabby but that's how cheap anything works in London! If you want a clean palace for this price travel east or drop some serious pounds. Don't expect to sleep much, if at all. Party on the street in front of the hostel had locals thinking it was a bumping bar. A bit far from the centre of London but great for shore ditch. Don't stay here if your a princess.

very good atmosphere and very nice people in and around the hostel!!

• 26th Aug 2014
  • Switzerland

Great location. One of the better hostels I've stayed in. The beds are comfortable and clean and there is good security. Even though it is located right beside a bar, I had a comfortable sleep each night. If I'm in the area again, I'll be returning to this hostel.

• 23rd Aug 2014

A rating of 20% I'm being generous, after travelling for 3 months this was by far the worst hostel I've ever stayed in! If it's mice, then this is your place! Oh and did I mention the service... Do yourself a big favour and avoid at all costs!

• 21st Aug 2014

we had a great time, met nice and awesome people. the rooms are clean and the beds okay. anyway, sometimes the water didn't work while you were taking a shower but restartet only one or two minutes later. i missed a common room to hang out in the evening, because the ktichen was not very cosy. never the less I liked the hostel and can recommend it!

• 20th Aug 2014

This place has a great location to party hard but that also dictates the type of person staying here. It's nothing but a backpacker geto. Not only international but a large amount of no hoper young British drug dealers, facilitating an income from organising drugs for all the backpackers. The staff are all backpackers and seem to wonder freely between rooms. One morning I had a smelly dreadlocked guy walk in on me in shower, 10min later some British girl stralls into room without knocking.

A lot of things about this hostel really bothered me, but mostly the staff and the mice. The staff were unprofessional, unwilling to help, and put the blame on us for their mice infestation. They would only clean our bathroom on occasion or when they felt like it. The security at this hostel is so poor that they let anyone walk in at anytime... I was woken up by someone trying to steal my bag hanging on the edge of my bed. Cute looking hostel though.

• 18th Aug 2014

A little bit noisy hostel but I had solve the problem putting my ear plugs. Less than 10 minutes walk Old street tube station and many pubs in the area. 30 pounds per night during the weekend (£210 per week) anyway, don't forget we are in London...

• 17th Aug 2014

Two words: mice infestation. There were nice crawling around our hostel room for the entire 9 days I stayed at the dictionary. And the staff did nothing but put a sign on the door saying : do not bring food in here. No traps were set and nothing else was done. Bathrooms were never cleaned. The sink in our room was clogged the entire time I was there and the toilets were discussing. Thanks for not caring dictionary. Never will return.

Not much sleep, but that was what I expected... My room and the toilet were clean, great people in the room and all around... The location is perfect!! Good times! I would definitely stay in The Dictionary again.

Showers didn't work half the time and there was one room that apparently had two mice in it.

The hostel had a good vibe, convenient cafe and bar next door. We stayed in room A which is on the ground level. This room can basically be accessed by anyone who walks in off the street. Since there are bars on either side of the hostel, it is extremely loud compared to other rooms upstairs. Its awesome that people like to hang out together from the hostel, but they were blasting music in the lobby until the late AM which is on the other side of our room... needless to say this was obnoxious.

• 15th Aug 2014

Very dirty, smelly, far from city centre. Beds looked dirty, extremely loud at night. Very dirty once again. The lady at the front desk acknowledge her piece of pizza and proceeded by eating it before serving me.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7