The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

The Dictionary is very good. All the staff were really, really friendly and helpful. My only criticism would be that when I awoke very, very hungover at 5-6 in the morning I found no way of getting some water, the vending machine was broken, the tap water was allegedly unsafe to drink. This was during the recent heatwave as well, if I'd have had a method of drinking loads of water I could have saved myself from a hellish few hours writhing around in bed with a horrible headache.

Very dirty floors, loud because it is over a bar Great area, nice to have a bar and restaurant and laundromat and cafe so close

• 12th Jul 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We are working with Translate to reduce the sound that comes through from the bar, as well as looking into solutions to reduce street noise in the rooms. We will speak to our cleaners about the floors. Glad you were able to make the most of our facilities during your stay :)

Great location. Thanks guys.

Thanks for the feedback! Hope to see you again soon!

To be honest the only good thing about this hostel was its location and it is only good if you are a party animal as music was blaring until 4 in the morning and after that the noise from outside was ridiculous. Facilities were zero the toilet in the room didnt work so we had to go downstairs to a toilet there was no light in. The shower was disgusting and didnt work even though we used it in non peak times. The staff were unfriendly and didnt care. Cool area bad hostel. Dont stay here.

• 11th Jul 2014

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with this feedback, and we're sorry you had some negative experiences during your stay. We are working hard to reduce the amount of noise in the rooms, looking into new windows and increased insulation from Translate. Our new maintenance manager is getting on top of the facilities issues, and we will speak to our cleaners about ensuring they always meet our high standards of cleanliness. We are working on the water supply issue with Thames water.

This hostel was great for what I wanted out of it. They aren't joking when they say it is loud at night. I was in a front room just above the street and it is lined with pubs, clubs and restaurants which are packed with young hip folks drinking, singing, dancing the night away. So of you are looking for calm/peaceful retreat this is not it. If you want to walk out the door right into a party yes! Even if you're into the parties a pair of earplugs won't hurt!

Thanks for your feedback, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay - Shoreditch is a lot of fun! We are working on reducing the noise from the bar and street that makes its way into the rooms. That way people can enjoy the party outside, but still come home to a good sleep :) We hope we will see you again soon!

We LOVED our stay at The Dictionary Hostel in Shoreditch. Not only was it located in a cool, upcoming part of town with a ton of great places to eat and hangout, but the staff was amazing and our room was perfect! Out of the 4 Hostels we stayed at during our trip, The Dictionary in Shoreditch was by far our favorite!

• 9th Jul 2014

I couldn't lock my lagguage in a cage like other guys at the dorm had. More toilet facilities would have been nice (it's peak season). There were some problems with the wi fi. Could have used electrical socket next.to the bunk. The crew was extremely helpful advising about travelling ariund London and about the place facilities. The atmosphere was really great. Would come back again in another time in London.

• 9th Jul 2014
  • Israel

Thanks for your review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the feedback!

Staff very disorganised and not helpful at all. Internet wasn't working. Toilets and shower were very unclean, mouldy, most of the time blocked and unhygienic. Rooms as well - dirty floors, dust everywhere There were mice in the room!!!! I can believe this hostel is still open. I would never stay in this hostel again and I would not recommend anyone to stay there.

• 8th Jul 2014
  • Czech Republic

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with this feedback, and we're very sorry for the negative experience you had during your stay. Cleanliness is very important to us, so we will definitely be speaking to the cleaners (and other staff) about your concerns. We do have a pest control company working to get rid of the mice, but this can take a bit of time. Our internet is now back up and running - we were in a transition to a new provider during your stay & experienced some technical glitches.

Honestly, I hated this place. Things that were bad: 1. A mouse (or other sort of rodent) chewed a hole in my suitcase to eat some almonds I had forgotten were in there. 2. It was really dirty. 3. The free wifi only worked in the tiny, cramped, really uncomfortable lobby downstairs. The paid wifi was "broken" while I was there. 4. The showers barely worked. One morning there was no water whatsoever. Another, only freezing cold water. 5. Seemingly apathetic staff who didn't know anything.

Thanks for taking the time to review us and we apologise for the difficulties you experienced. We do have a pest control company working to ensure that there are no mice in the building, but this can take a bit of time. Cleanliness is very important to us, so we will be speaking to our cleaners (and other staff) about your concerns with their performance. We have identified a problem with getting enough water to the building from the mains supply and are working on that. The WiFi is now fixed.

the bathroom inside the room is blocked and dirty, which spoiled my whole experience there, and also cause flood when people take a shower, which make my bag soaking wet. The social area in the middle of 3 rooms on ground floor bring in all the noise, and sometimes, smoke. The toilet outside the rooms also smelly. However, kitchen and the whole atmosphere is ok.

• 8th Jul 2014
  • Vietnam

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, and we're sorry for the difficulties you experienced. Our maintenance manager and cleaners have been working in all of the bathrooms to ensure the drains are clear, and the hostel is clean. Smoking is not permitted in the courtyard, so we apologise if people were breaking that rule. We hope we will get the chance to see you again next time you're in London.

The Dictionary Hostel is wonderfully located in Shoreditch, with close access to nightlife and shopping. The service quality provided by the staff varied very much, but Emma was wonderful. Upon arrival we found the room open, untidy, and newly painted (but no sign of where this paint job had been performed in the room). In addition, the noice level was terrible some nights, with people using the outside seating areas as a party pad at 4 in the morning. Not possible to bring food into room.

Thanks for your feedback, and we're sorry you had some negative experiences during your stay. We are working on reducing the noise level in the rooms, as we appreciate that our guests come here for a good night's sleep!

This hostel was not what I was expecting. It is dirty and not well kept. There are mice and the facilities (bathroom, kitchen, rooms) are dirty and do not get cleaned. The staff at the desk are okay, but when I asked a question they would tell me to ask someone else because they did not know. I wouldn't be that disappointed if it wasn't so expensive.

• 4th Jul 2014

Thanks for your review, and we're sorry for the negative impression you gained while you were here. We have cleaning staff who work every day to keep the hostel clean, so we will be sure to speak to them about your observations during your stay. We also have a pest control company working to keep the mice out of the building. Unfortunately at the moment we do have a lot of new staff, but we will speak to everyone to ensure that they are always doing their best to be friendly and helpful.

This hostel is disgusting and staff isn't friendly!

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Both cleanliness and customer service are very important to us, so we will be sure to speak to all of our staff about your concerns, to ensure that they are meeting the high expectations we have for our hostel.

It's a cute little place in uber-fashionable Shoreditch. The staff were a bit "meh", not really making any great effort to make sure we felt at home. The room was VERY bare bones and got super-hot in the night, really could have used air-con or just an open window. The facilities of a bar, a cafe and a common room were really good. I'd probably go again but maybe get a smaller room next time!

• 2nd Jul 2014

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Our staff are usually very outgoing and friendly so we will speak to them about your experience. We are aware of how hot the rooms are getting at times, and are working on increasing the ventilation. We will hope to see you again next time you're in London!

My first hostel experience, I wasn't sure what to expect but it was better than I was expecting and would recommend the hostel. I didn't mind staying here although definitely couldn't have stayed any longer than I did because the room I was staying in was not properly ventilated and was unbearably hot. Plus most of the showers in the building were not working properly.

• 1st Jul 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us: we appreciate the feedback. With summer in full swing we recognise that our rooms do get hot sometimes, and are actively looking for ways to improve ventilation. We apologise for the lack of showers during your stay - our new maintenance manager has managed to sort them out and we are now back to full operation.

This hostel has mice everywhere we saw a couple around the rooms. Also we booked as a 12 and they split us up in different rooms which slightly ruined the stay. We weren't the only people this happened too, some turned up and didn't have a bed to sleep in. Other than that the hostel itself would have been really nice if it weren't for the mice and the booking problem. Also they do refund you if you want to leave earlier than expected, as long as you give them 24 hours notice.

• 1st Jul 2014

Thanks for your feedback, and we apologise for the difficulties you experienced. We do have a pest control company actively working to keep the mice out of the building, but their efforts will take a little time to work. We do try to keep groups together in the same room, but unfortunately sometimes this is not possible when we are particularly busy. Our apologies again.

At times the washing powder or towels had run out of stock behind the counter due to the hostel being booked to capacity. The place must have been made of lead walls, as the wifi was slow, and 3G reception was very weak. However the staff were lovely, down-to-earth chill people and the rooms both private and common were very clean. Good value for money. Not badly situated but it's best to walk to Liverpool St station for the tube.

Thanks for your review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We are certainly going to have to increase our supply of towels and laundry powder over the summer months! We have just upgraded our WiFi service, to improve its speed, but the mobile coverage remains a mystery!

I chose this hostel because I thought it would have a youthful and friendly vibe- but the atmosphere was flat on a Monday night. The staff were friendly and the bed was comfortable- However, for the expensive price, breakfast should have been included. The interior is decorated with a quirky design and there is a common room downstairs. There was a rumour going round that a mouse lived in my room so I slept on one of the top bunks!

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay, and we're sorry the atmosphere was a little flat while you were here. We now have a pest control company ensuring that our bottom bunks are just as safe as our top ones too :)

The dirtiest hostel I have ever stayed in. At least four mice in our room, and they're obviously used to people, because they weren't scared off when we were around. Bed bugs were also an issue. The staff were Very unhelpful with both of these issues, and in general. Many of the cleaners are backpackers looking for a free stay, which I think is why it is so dirty, particularly the bathrooms. Very noisy rooms, hard to get a good night's sleep unless you're a deep sleeper.

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with this feedback, and we apologise for the problems you experienced during your stay. We have a pest control company actively working to get rid of our mice and bedbug issues, and have also been sealing up the places we think they have been living. We do have backpackers working as staff, but expect the same high standards of them as we would of anyone else, so we will speak to them about your concerns.

I will recommend Dictionary Hostel to my Friends. Its great place for short stay in London.

• 30th Jun 2014
  • Poland

Thanks for the review and the recommendation! We look forward to seeing you (and your friends!) soon!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7