The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Buses were very convenient. The shower made a weird noise and woke me up both nights.

Thanks for your review. We are having some issues with our water supply, so that might be what was causing the noise - we're looking into it! :)

As others have mentioned there were mice and bed bugs in the room. It was very noisy and it seemed a lot of the people in the hostel were living/working there and not very considerate. I and others I know had labeled food stolen from the kitchen too. Only things I liked were the rooftop terrace and the closeness to the tube station.

Thanks for your feedback, and we're very sorry about the negative experiences you had with us during your stay. We have employed pest control people to solve our mouse and bed bug problems, and they are working very hard on that. We are also looking into ways we can reduce the amount of noise that comes through to our rooms. Our apologies again.

Perfectly situated in a very cool area and easily accessible by public transport. Facilities were pretty standard as far as hostels go, but cleanliness was never an issue. I was particularly impressed by the staff (Dylan and Emma, to be specific) who went out of their way to point me in the direction of a free ATM, a brilliant little organic grocery store, and gave me detailed instructions on how to navigate my way across the city using multiple lines of transport. Would definitely return.

Great location (Shoreditch is amazing), helpful staff, and really clean. The hostel is super cool and near tons of great bars and restaurant but room C was unbearably hot at night and extremely noisy.

Thanks for your review, and we're glad you enjoyed your time here. We are currently working on ways to improve both the ventilation and noise in the rooms.

The staff were nice and helpful and the people that work there are cool. The beds are clean and showers are good! Although for some reason the hostel had no atmosphere and wasn't very comfortable. They didn't really have anything going on or planned which was a shame. It's in a good location but I probably wouldn't stay at the dictionary next time around.

Thanks for your review, and we're sorry to hear you wouldn't want to stay with us again. We will take your feedback on board and hopefully next time you are in London we will have so much going on we will catch your eye again ;)

Nice location in the hip and happening neighbourhood of Shoreditch. Walk to the nearest underground station approx. 10minutes. I booked a 6 persons dorm in the hope to have some 'personal space' but dorm was cramped and no windows. Also close to the courtyard with lots of noise of other guests during the night. Although 30 years old but still feeling young, the hostel was a bit 'too many hipsters and I just can't relate to them' ;-) No nice common living room, only a restaurant. Friendly staff.

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay. We appreciate your feedback!

Great hostel, great staff.

Glad you enjoyed yourself! :)

Nice location. The crow was too cool for me :P

We think all of our guests are pretty cool :)

No free breakfast but there is cafe downstairs serves good food with reasonable price. The room and shower room are clean and comfy. Location is very good if you want a night out in London. Also, easy access to other location in London, close to important bus lines, and close to Liverpool Street station.

Thanks for taking the time to review us!

I was probably among the oldest tenants in the 16 bed mixed dorm but it didn't stop me from enjoying myself. The staff were especially cool and I really enjoyed their friendliness and hospitality. It is a really convenient location and I was able to easily manage the parts of London I wanted to visit from the location. I will say that if you are interested in sleeping, try to get into a smaller dorm or something private; otherwise, it was a great experience.

• 29th May 2014

Thanks for your feedback and we're glad you enjoyed your stay!

The area and actual hostel seem nice enough and if you're wanting to stay in Shoreditch you should be prepared for noise. However, there is no excuse for mice/rodents in the dorm rooms. When I brought this up at the front desk there was incredible indifference shown, as if this was such a normal occurrence that no one cared any more. Not acceptable when you're paying 25 pounds for a bed.

Thanks for your feedback, and we're sorry about your experience with the mice. We now have a pest control company working to ensure that the building is rodent-proof. Please be assured that we do take this issue seriously, and apologise that our staff's response did not reflect this.

It was kept well clean but the courtyard was in the middle of all of the rooms and smoking was allowed, which got into the rooms. As a non-smoker this was not enjoyable. Also I felt that anyone could have walked into the building and straight to the rooms and never would have been stopped. Our door was always propped open and I didn't feel safe. Also I was uncomfortable with some of the guests and their rude behavior, however I realize the Hostel has no ability to stop this.

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, and we're sorry you didn't feel comfortable during your stay. We have now stopped people from smoking in the courtyard, so there is no smoke in the rooms anymore. Our staff do keep an eye on who is entering and exiting the building, and we also have CCTV cameras in the hostel as well as a security code on the door to the upstairs rooms. We hope you will come back and try us again next time you are in London.

Great weekend away. Staff all very helpful and the place was clean. Couldn't complain about a thing!

• 24th May 2014

Fantastic news! We're glad you had such a good time!

Good hostel but really noisy, you feel like you´re in one of the bars below. Otherwise pretty good.

Thanks for your feedback. We're now working closely with Translate to reduce the noise that comes through to our rooms.

As our first hostel experience, we weren't sure what to expect. The staff was not very helpful and overall we were not satusfied with the hostel. We found that many of the guests were not backpackers, but were semi-perminant residents saving money to rent a flat. The area is very far away from central London and very noisy when trying to sleep. If you are into partying until 3-4am on a Tuesday then this is the place for you. Showers and toilets were very small and dirty. Would not stay again.

Thank you for your review, and we're sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your first hostel experience. Our staff are usually very friendly and outgoing, so will be sure to speak to them about maintaining the high standard of service we expect. The same goes for our cleaners. We are currently working with Translate to reduce the amount of noise that comes through to our rooms from the bar, as it is important to us that our guests are able to get a good night's sleep.

Great location, nice hostel, friendly staff. Would recommend.

• 22nd May 2014

Thanks for your feedback! :)

Good hostel for our last minute booking. Didn't have a problem with the noise or bed bugs as mentioned in one review. Room was stuffy and had to pick a time to get a hot shower outside of the "peak" showering hours. Plenty of bars around the hostel but a good 45+minute walk to get to the attractions and river walk. Shower and toilet stalls are tiny. The free wifi only works in the check in area which is tiny and has only a few seats. Otherwise you must pay to use wifi in your rooms.

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We appreciate your feedback and are working on the ventilation and water issues. We have just upgraded our WiFi service, although the free WiFi area remains the same size.

The stay at the dictionary was awesome. It is a but far off from tourist spots but close to the train station and some cool bars. There's a kitchen and plenty if grocery stores bear by. They no longer serve free breakfast even though the website mentions it. The guest and staff made the stay at this hostel amazing though. I had a great time.

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We have updated the website now too.

Would be great with better wifi.

We have just upgraded our WiFi service - we hope you'll come back soon and check it out!

My stay at this hostel was not that great. The staff service was good. A bit of inconvinience that breakfast is not included. Food i bought from the bar was tasty and Very yummy. Cant complain. Only very upsetting thing was that my bed had bed bugs. The hostel allowed me to change rooms but they waited for me to go and ask eventhough they were awarded of the situation as one of my room makes was bitten by the bugs very badly. They should have send someone to leave a note.

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us, and we're very sorry for your negative experience with the bed bugs. We have now brought in a pest control company to completely eradicate the bugs, and are in the process of sealing the brick walls where we found them to be living.