The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Fantastic hostel, excellent location, great vibe, great people. I stayed here on and off for about 2 weeks, good kitchen and common area facilities. My only quarm and area for improvement from giving it say a 10/10 would be that one of the 16 bed dorms (A) gets rather hot at night, but i understand the hostel is undergoing improvements at the moment so i'm sure this will be ironed out!

Really to loud (earplugs = a must); bad internet (you pay for wi-fi in rooms and it is really not that good, in some rooms it is actually that bad that you can have major problems uploading pictures ect); in mixed dorm for 8 ppl: i dont know if the shower could be any smaller; no working/computer room; small kitchen considering how many people is staying there; really no freebies(just linen and free wi-fi in tiny lobby and bar); buy a lock, the power adaptor in the store just next to hostel!

Great staff, very friendly and helpful. Poor breakfast.

• 19th Oct 2013

Would be good to have some more power supply by bedd to charge phones overnight. But overall 10/10

• 19th Oct 2013

Thank you! See you next time :)

The hostel is in a great location, surrounded by bars, restaurants and shops.. Short walk from Liverpool street station. Beds were comfortable with a cage style locker, however the bathrooms were dirty- one morning there was no running water. The hostel closed the kitchen for two days with no notice meaning food that was being stored in the fridge went wasted. Majority of staff were helpful and lovely.

• 14th Oct 2013

Thank you for your review and we are sorry for any issues you had with your stay! The kitchen floor took longer than expected to dry and we just wanted to bring some bright cheery yellow to the kitchen :) We hope that you will give us another try!

Nice hostel in a good location, staff seemed nice and friendly. Would stay there again

Yay! Thank you :)

Unfortunately it was very unwelcoming after difficulties with my original booking, we weren't given enough information on the facilities and the room really wasn't clean we still had peoples clothes and flip flops in there and the bathroom was just dirty. The water didn't work well at all and the whole plumbing system had major issues. Luckily we were only staying 1 night. Obviously it was very cheap per bed but we paid £162 for a room and I would at least expect running water and cleanliness.

• 12th Oct 2013

The water was often stopping in the middle of a shower, we could not open or hide the light from the velux on the roof, and the toilets were not always clean. Plus there was a lot of work in progress so it was noisy. However the location is great and the bar downstairs is really cool.

I loved stay in The Dictionary Hostel I almost stayed 2 weeks and I loved the staff... with a lovely bar and good prices.... Everything that I wanted the staff always was there to help me..... And a very good programm of volluntary cleaning..... I really enjoyed my time there... When I came back to London, I wanna stay there again.

• 10th Oct 2013

Definitely the best hostel i've stayed in so far! Very cool hostel with everything you need. Good bed, clean bathroom, locker under the bed, free breakfast, common area and a sweet cocktail bar next door (café by day). Perfectly located in Shoreditch! It has a great atmosphere and the most friendly young staff who are at the hostel even when they're not working. It's a bit crowded, and also its a party hostel so if you want peace and quiet this might not be it, but try it out anyway. Great stay!

The hostel is great (clean / close to transport and bars/ close to Internet café or Supermarkets/ connected to a coffee& bar) but there was a issue that was difficult to dealt with, in the part of the hostel where I was staying (n & l), the water supply for the shower was jumpy ..... I have been in the past in London, still a good quality...Please, when I ll come over again, sort it out ...really appreciate my stay in London

The location was excellent! Close to Liverpool St and Old St station,so that was a huge plus. The hostel itself was alright, the room we stayed at didn't feel claustrophobic and the mattresses were great. The toilets and rooms were a bit messy and unclean at times. You had to pay in order to use WiFi in your room. It's not a quiet place so bring your EARPLUGS! Staff was average, not the friendliest bunch but not rude. Overall it's OK, but there are better value for money hostels out there!

Had a great time in the 8 bedroom mixed dorm with ensuite. Even with the windows open you get used to the noise of London quite quickly. The location is fantastic, with everything you need relatively close. I would stay here again for sure.

Stayed here for two weeks waiting to move into a flat and it was great ! So sociable an relaxed made great friends and met some cool people

• 6th Oct 2013

The stay was great. Just wish they had more toilets and the towels they sell are awful. Other than that, a great hostel.

• 6th Oct 2013
  • Slovenia

Be careful, the promised "free wifi" only applies in the lobby, they charge extra for wifi in your room which I find a bit dishonest.

I highly recommand you NOT to book this hostel. It's by far the worse hostel i ve been to or at least the poorest value for money. The rooms were really dirty, showers were even worse (clogged / a lot of hair), it was obviously not cleaned up everyday. We even got a mouse in our room. I didnt get any hot water at all (broken shower). Staff wasn't helpful nor welcoming at all. that being said : good breakfast, good bed and good location.

Slept in a double room. Great stay.

So glad that you enjoyed your stay! :)

Everything was fine except I had issues getting into my room a number of times during my 5 night stay. They seemed to have an issue with their key card system.

I came back one night and found another guest staying on my bed. They put 7 people into a 6 beds doom. I had to go to the reception to get it settled. On my side, it wasted me 20 mins but they changed the sheets so its alright. I dont know if that guy found his bed that night.

• 26th Sep 2013