The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Many of the rooms in this hostel are above a very noisy bar, which is open on Friday/Saturday nights playing loud music til late and renders the environment inside the rooms themselves as something akin to sleeping in a night club. Was told that Friday night, which was my first night, was exceptionally bad but speaking to the other people staying in my room it seems as if it is the same every night. Steer clear if you want a good night's sleep.

• 13th Dec 2013

Great bar! I seen Russell Brand :)

• 8th Dec 2013
  • Scotland

Nice place, good staff. If you want to sleep early, may be will be hard. The rooms are in front of the smoking yard, and it´s sometimes is full of talking people.

2weeks female dorm clean rooms and clean beds but small and most of the time dirty toiletts and showers really friendly staff unfortunately someone stolen things out of the room (from me and two other girls) breakfast is sometimes ok. sometimes not the kitchen is most of the time a mess (but the staff raelly try to keep it clean)

fix the bathroom doors so you dont have to slam them to get them shut. How annoying to have to wake the entire room up in the middle of the night and be woken by someone using the bathroom, also the automatic lights dont seem to work very well, also annoying having to take a S*it in the dark.

Awesome loacation, friendly staff, good atmosphere, value for money

Really good breakfast, choice of cereal and fresh bagels every day. Modern hostel, bathrooms very clean, comfy beds. Staff were friendly and helpful. Just make sure you have good directions to get there. I'd definitely stay here again.

I stayed at the dictionary late November, overall it was a great hostel the staff are cool, the rooms are nice and everything was good location was great and I loved shoreditch, only downfall was I got bed bugs here which was really annoying. However still a good hostel I would stay here again. My friends didn't get bed bugs so I just got unlucky but yeah good hostel overall

• 27th Nov 2013

The 16 bed room was very very stuffy at night and there was no ventilation. One night there was no water at all due to problem with the river.

I can't praise The Dictionary enough. The hostel is located at the heart of Shoreditch, one of the trendiest areas in London. It's been recently done up and looks fresh. The guests are predominantly young arty types. The showers and toilets are good quality. The kitchen is cosy. The free breakfast (bagels, peanut butter, chocolate spread, orange marmalade, strawberry jam, butter, soft cheese, cornflakes, muesli, milk, kiwis, apples, tangerines, tea, coffee, sugar) is good value. Stay there!

No comments. Had a good stay!

• 22nd Nov 2013

Thank you!! :)

TINY dorms and bathrooms!!! stayed in a 10 bed dorm, no lockers, no room to put your belongings, very cramped! The bathrooms were expectionally small. There was no room to changed. Also there were not enough bathrooms for the size of the hostel. No common room, however the bar next door was nice with 20% off. The hostel appeared clean but I received numourous amounts bites (not sure if bed bugs) throughout my stay. Shoreditch is a great area but I've stayed at better hostels.

Great location of the hostel, easy check in and decent sized room.

Excellent idea to have the 20% discount at the cafe and bar next door. Also, offering free breakfast in the morning was a huge plus! The bedroom might have been a bit too damp, considering everyone had showered in the morning, but it was fine.

• 18th Nov 2013
  • Norway

Yeah pretty great hostel, good atmosphere, yum bagels for breakfast, pretty lame about wifi; hardly any in kitchen, some Bb but dealt with well Have to pay for it upstairs in room, also wish there were lockers in rooms, a bit squishy in 10 bed but not real complaints for London!

The Hostel wasnt clean at all! I came into the room and didnt even know which of the 16 beds was free!

• 12th Nov 2013

We are sorry that you had an issue with your room. We hope next time you will let reception know so that we can make it right!

I really enjoyed the breakfast and the staff (Dillion) is such a helpful amazing person. Great place, liked that I could put my stuff in a safe place, showers were hot and the beds were comfortable. However had an incident with a bed bug, the staff were very accommodating and we're quick to act by taking necessary action. They cleaned and dried all my clothing and were happy to move me to another room. That's only to be expected when staying at a transient place. I would stay here again :)

Great location in the heart of the Shoreditch district, with good transport links, & variety of bars, cafe's & restaurants close by to suit all budgets. Friendly staff, easy atmosphere in mixed dorm room. Doors to en suite shower/toilet rooms in dorm I stayed in (M) need repairing so they close properly & do not crash!

See you next time! :) Thank you for the lovely review.

Great hostel, and good value with breakfast includedar breakfast. Lots of fun people, and great staff. Small negative is that it can be pretty noisy at night, especially in the large dorm, but with earplugs and eye patches it's fine.

Glad you enjoyed your stay! Ear plugs are always needed when sharing rooms with new friends each night :)

It was overall awesome. The only downside was the lack of common space later in the evening. I know it's a party part of town but there wasn't anywhere you could go to until all hours of the night without being kicked out in the end. Slight complaint to an overall nice hostel though.

Thank you for the great review. We are thinking about keeping the kitchen past 3am but we always need a bit of time to clean the party up! :)