The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Be careful of bedbugs...

• 27th Dec 2013

love the kitchen!

Stayed at hostel for on and off for 4 weeks, great area, amazing staff only issues we had were a few cases of bed bugs and a mice issue but staff took this seriously and were happy to change our rooms. Great food (especially breakfast) at Translate the bar attached to hostel but can be very loud defiantly a young party hostel

This is a very nice hostel. The free internet is not really good and you can use only in the reception. Otherwise you have to pay 1 pound/day to use the internet in your room. The breakfast is good and for free.

Well, first of all, the room was all dirty and also the bathrooms, I think that there were people living there, so everything was a mess. The breakfast was awful (the bread was very very hard to eat) but what can you expect for a low budget. I wouldn't stay there again neither recommend it, I spend there 3 nights.

• 21st Dec 2013
  • Mexico

Good hostel but at saturday there was a big party in the bar. Maybe for some people a problem but not for me.

• 21st Dec 2013
  • Belgium

Stayed for 2 nights in the 14 bed dorm and slept 4 hours combined. I'm unsure if it's common of the hostel but the other people in the room were the most inconsiderate I've come across. Lights on at 7am and rustling through their bags for hours. The other bathroom in the dorm wasn't useable and judging from the lock on the door has been that way for a while. Considering I went out both nights this hostel was clean and ok for that, but it would have been great to actually sleep when I was in bed.

The Dictionary is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at. Great atmosphere & all the necessary amenities. The only issues I came across were the lack of a lounge & the size of the bathrooms. Everything else was pretty much flawless, but with character. THANKS GUYS.

Really good stay. I woke up late and got locked out my room whilst in the shower but the guy behind reception was really nice about it and let me back in! I missed breakfast but that was free. Also for any inexperienced hostelers like myself being a padlock for locker under bed and a towel for shower. And sorry to my fellow roomies who I never met bit probably woke up at 3 in the morning.

• 19th Dec 2013

I stayed in 12 bedroom and there was only one shower for all of us. Internet free only at reception (1 pound to have it in the room). Great staff and good breakfast.

Good hostel to party ! The staff is also very nice

It was a very pleasant stay at the dictionary hostel. The rooms were nice and clean. also were the bathrooms. It was very nice that ithe stay was included breakfast. If we walked out the door we were in the nice shoreditch, and with a little tube line in the middle of the centre. The staff and visitors were very nice and happy every time. So the stay was perfect!!!

• 16th Dec 2013

The Dictionary in Shoreditch is an adequate hostel when staying in London. The showers are pretty tight, and the kitchen is a bit small for such a large hostel. There is no free Wi-Fi in the rooms. The location is good- very near the Shoreditch Overground and the Old Street tube stop. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the cafe and bar attached are great places to hang out.

Many of the rooms in this hostel are above a very noisy bar, which is open on Friday/Saturday nights playing loud music til late and renders the environment inside the rooms themselves as something akin to sleeping in a night club. Was told that Friday night, which was my first night, was exceptionally bad but speaking to the other people staying in my room it seems as if it is the same every night. Steer clear if you want a good night's sleep.

• 13th Dec 2013

Great bar! I seen Russell Brand :)

• 8th Dec 2013
  • Scotland

Nice place, good staff. If you want to sleep early, may be will be hard. The rooms are in front of the smoking yard, and it´s sometimes is full of talking people.

2weeks female dorm clean rooms and clean beds but small and most of the time dirty toiletts and showers really friendly staff unfortunately someone stolen things out of the room (from me and two other girls) breakfast is sometimes ok. sometimes not the kitchen is most of the time a mess (but the staff raelly try to keep it clean)

fix the bathroom doors so you dont have to slam them to get them shut. How annoying to have to wake the entire room up in the middle of the night and be woken by someone using the bathroom, also the automatic lights dont seem to work very well, also annoying having to take a S*it in the dark.

Awesome loacation, friendly staff, good atmosphere, value for money

Really good breakfast, choice of cereal and fresh bagels every day. Modern hostel, bathrooms very clean, comfy beds. Staff were friendly and helpful. Just make sure you have good directions to get there. I'd definitely stay here again.