The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Looking for a place to stay/sleep (quietly) for cheap, you might want to consider elsewhere. I stayed in a 16 bed-mixed dorm room. There were no curtains or individual lights for the beds, so people turned on the main lights a lot. It was also very noisy since the hostel's bar area is within the hostel downstairs. Also, the hostel is undergoing construction so it's quite messy everywhere. It's good if you want to meet others and stay up til the early morning hours. Otherwise, can't recommend it.

Really cool place in the centre of Shoreditch. One for younger backpackers wanting to meet other people and go out in the surrounding area

I thought the place was pretty dynamite. Great pub downstairs with discounted beers for hostellers. Only just a short walk to the tube. Not assigned beds, which caused some confusion but overall not a big deal. I definitely plan on coming back my next time through London.

Hostel is nice and in good area. However, it's under construction. I was only there for two nights and it was very annoying. No air conditioning so extremely hot at night (but London is usually not too hot so it should be fine most of the time) no lounge area or nowhere to hang out outside of the rooms, which sucked. Hostel is In a neighborhood that's its extremely loud. Good if you like to party but if you wanna get some sleep probably not the best place to stay at.

Yes this hostel it is under refurbishment but they could still clean the showers and the floors, they were filthy in our dorm. They could still restock the toilet paper (it was out for nearly two days). Plus the Wifi doesn't work in the rooms. The water turned off completely whilst we had mouths full of toothpaste. There is no common area or anyplace to sit unless your a paying customer at the bar. I even saw a chic be asked to leave the empty bar or re-order when she stil had the end of a beer!

I ve stayed 9 nights, and i had to change room 4 times! They are crazy!

Bit of a shame to be there during renovations. Once finished should be a fairly good place, but at the moment is probably not worth it. Amazing location and decently priced are big factors though.

On arrival we checked in and paid the balance on the booking. Went up to the room & discovered we were in a 10 person dorm. Place was a mess & no telling which beds were free. Went down to the reception to see if there had been a mix up. Said they were fully booked and that this was the only room available. We paid extra for a 5 bed dorm and it was only when we mentioned this that the receptionist gave us a discount. Receptionist clueless & shower room down right disgusting!

• 13th Jul 2013

It's a Hostel which has a lot of possibilities to succeed and be a great hostel. Though, because it is a brand new hostel, some of the facilities were kinda poor (e.g. the wifi-connection, lots of construction work which created a dusty air and the allowance to smoke in the relaxtion area, which was between to dorm rooms). The need to learn a lot and figure out how to manage some matters, but the staff was really nice and the location/accommodation too.

• 12th Jul 2013

Staff really helpuf and very safe, but the toilets weren't so clean and the showers were a mess. The rooms were really hot. I was not happy with my stay.

Since shoreditch is one the most hip outgoing places in London, it is completely impossible to sleep during friday and saturday night hence the immense noise, so i would Not recommend to stay there in the weekend- unless you are just there for partying. But during the week it is fine.

A very cool and clean hostel and in an excellent location. Would stay again for sure.. Recommended..

my stay at the hostel was welcomed by a massive turd in the toilet in my room. I then dropped 20p down there and didnt want to fish it out due there being a big toilet mud monkey. other than that everything was fine! the showers were a bit temperamental sometimes, but good tho. pretty noisy at night, some guy even had a strobe light in my room (14 bed shared room to be precise). decent tho

New hostel, still undergoing renovations. For a new hostel there's a couple of loose ends to finish. lockable phone/laptop charging facilities would be nice. Toilets/showers didn't have any signs. One of the showers had a sensor which couldn't detect me while I was in the shower and so the light kept switching off. Shelves in the showers would have been nice and would help avoid getting clothes wet while showering. Had a great bar, coffee shop, and is right in the centre of trendy Shoreditch.

Great interior and location. One of the best hostels in London.

Great hostel! Excellent location in Shoreditch. Very friendly place.

• 8th Jul 2013

ONE OF THE BEST HOSTELS! The atmosphere where Amazon, If you want to meet people during your stay, this the place! Age group between 18-30, lots of other travelling and cheap prices in the bar, definitely the one hostel I'll visit ounce again.

The Dictionary was a great hostel for a London stay. The location was amazing and the staff were excellent. I will definitely be staying there again.

Liked: Good free breakfast, amazing cafe and restaurant downstairs, really helpful staff, great atmosphere Disliked: Shotty wifi in the rooms, slightly cramped & dirty bathrooms and showers in the dorms I did like this hostel. It was good all around. I did however kind of get the feeling that it was a cafe & restaurant first as those facilities that were shared were amazing while the actual dorms were just ehh.

We really enjoyed staying at The Dictionary. The staff is wonderful, always ready to help and open for a little bit of small talk. The hostel itself is situated in a very trendy neighbourhood in London, easy to get to by using the subway and a short 10-minute walk. Our room was situated right above the bar, which, on a Saturday night, meant that we had to deal with a lot of noise coming from the bar. The beds were neatly made, but our room and bathroom could have been cleaner. Great atmosphere!

• 6th Jul 2013
  • Belgium

Thank you for the great comments, we appreciate it :)