The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Excellent kitchen! Great and helpfull staff!

Thanks for your great comments! Come back soon :)

Not worth the money. room was in a revolting state. Along with the communal toilets and showers....

Thanks for leaving us some feedback. I'm so sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us :( That's never what we want to hear. The room you stayed in is in the process of being upgraded. It's being redesigned by an interior designer & will soon have its own sink in the room which should help the situation. The communal facilities are cleaned top to toe 10-2 daily, but their cleanliness certainly depends on the cleanliness of your fellow guests. I offer you my apologies nonetheless.

Good location, but it was really noisy and probably not the best place to stay if you just want to get some sleep.

• 23rd Jan 2015

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback :) I'm really glad you loved our location. It's great, but you're right, being so central in and amongst all the best bars means it can be a bit noisy at the weekends with all the party goers out and about. We've just actually had a quote for some new windows though with better soundproofing, so hopefully that's something we can implement later in the year to improve the situation. Hope you enjoyed Shoreditch other than that. :)

Had a very pleasant stay here, the location is perfect in East London. The kitchen was too small and not very clean but apart from that everything was good.

Hi there. Thanks for your comments. We've just put in a planning application to double the kitchen in size ;) Hopefully that should make things a lot better in the future. Sorry to hear it wasn't as clean as we would normally expect - it often depends how many people have been using the area for cooking immediately before you, but I will have a word with the cleaning team and ask them to make a special effort! Glad you otherwise enjoyed your stay. Thanks :)

For my first hostel, I thought the experience went better than I thought. The staff were helpful and didn't give any dirty looks to people who asked for their help and I can appreciate that. Breakfast was good. Free Wifi in the common area and kirtchen. No complaints really.

• 23rd Jan 2015

Thanks for the great review. So glad you enjoyed your first hostel experience. Hopefully we have set the bar high ;) All the best and come back soon!

We already knew the hostel was really close to bars, so we were prepared for the noise. There's actually a lot, but we weren't bothered by it. The hostel is clean and the room we stayed in was spacious. The bathroom was always clean. Unfortunately we had a problem with another guest, but the staff was extremely helpfull doing everything they could to make things better.

Thanks for the review. I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay with us. :)

The room was pretty cold. we could feel the cold coming in through the window

Hi. Thanks for your comments. I'm really sorry to hear that you were cold! We have a heater in every room, but it is especially chilly at the moment, so maybe that wasn't enough :( We have just entered a planning application to have all our windows upgraded, so hopefully your problem should be solved soon. In the meantime, if you ever need to, feel free to speak to reception and they can provide extra duvets if necessary. Thanks :)

Absolutely excellent place full of wonderful people. The staff are chilled out and really helpful, the location is great and the hostel its self is decent with everything you need.

• 16th Jan 2015

Thanks for the wonderful comments. Come back soon!

I didn't actually sleep here because I had a to - do list, but they let me use the room to change clothes for the night.

Thanks for the great review! All the best for your future travels :)

The staff was amazing! Rhiannon at the reception was the friendliest, most amazing staff member I've met and EVERYONE else was so great. this was important because i was there over Christmas without family and I didn't feel it for ONE moment. the rooms are decent sized, cleaned everyday, GREAT value for money; the breakfast is good and there's a couple of local stores around that you can always shop at for something to cook. the wifi was a wee bit shaky, but it wasn't so much of a problem.

• 19th Dec 2014
  • India

So glad you had such a good stay with us and that you enjoyed Christmas here at The Dictionary!! Thanks for your feedback and please come back soon. I'll pass your kind words on to Rhiannon :)

The place is ok. It is warm but very basic. The internet was limited to the area of the lobby, which is very inconvinient for a traveler.

Hi! We offer free wifi in the reception, kitchen, courtyard, bar & cafe. You can also pay £1 for 24 hrs' high speed access in your room. We do try to provide lots of extras that you don't get in other hostels, but we are always looking to improve! At the moment we offer things like free breakfasts, all day tea & coffee, roof terrace, table football, laundrette, events in the evenings, our own bar & there are swings in some of the rooms too! ;) Thanks for leaving us some feedback. :)

Good size dorm, showers nearby. Its a great location yet quiet when its time to sleep Simple breakfast, but it does the trick.

Thanks for the review! Glad you had such a great time! Come back soon! :)

Nice and clean kitchen, clean toilet and shower in the 4-bed dorm i stayed in. Good location too. They could do with putting a sign up saying "rooms m-z, this way ->" when coming up the first set of stairs.

Thanks for the comments! Glad you liked the room and location. :) We are obviously on the same wavelength because we are just about to revamp our internal signage. ;) Thanks for your feedback and all the best for your future travels.

Rooms are very small and bathrooms were extremely dirty. The location is very good obviously, right in the center of Shoreditch but unless you are some party animal there is no point staying in that place.

Hi, Thanks for your comments. I will have a word with the cleaning staff about your points. The whole hostel, including the bathrooms, are cleaned every day, however, since you were in a shared dorm with 13 other people, it could be that your room mates just got to the bathroom before you and so it looked messy. Glad you liked our location. We love it too! All the best :)

Good hostel, great area, great staff.

Thanks for the comments! Hope you had a great time in Shoreditch. Come back soon. All the best for your future travels!

Nice location, right in the middle of Shoreditch. Well located, good bus service, tube station just 7 minutes walking and Boris Bikes just around the corner. Not a quiet place at nights specially at weekends, but a really good atmosphere. Just had problems having shower in the first day (i guess it was because they were fully booked), in that day low water pressure or no water at all, a bit unpleasant.

Thanks for the review! Lovely to get nice feedback. Glad you found the location to be so great. We adore it too. Sorry about the showers! We are getting our pipe upgraded any day now, which should give us much greater pressure. You'll have to come back and try out the new and improved showers...! All the best for your future travels! :)

Good vibes top location good bar!

Thanks for such a great review! We love our bar too!! We love the 20% guest discount even more though ;) Please come back soon - we can't wait to have you back again! Tell all your friends! ;)

The hostel is in a great area. The dormitories are very messy and the common bathroom aren't so clean.

Hi there. Thanks for the review! The bathrooms are all cleaned every day, along with the rest of the hostel, but I'll have a word with the team. Every bed has a large cage underneath where you can store all your things (including your backpack) to keep them tidy, but you're right, not everybody uses them. Glad you loved our area - we love it too! All the best for your future travels :)

Great staff, who are cheerful, helpful and friendly. Good location, the kitchen is an added bonus with good facillitie.Showers were hot and toilets clean. Plenty of good, cheap Vietnamese restaurants as well as loads of nice pubs and clubs nearby. The bar attached to the hostel had a really nice vibe and 20% off for hostel guests Ok, so someone was in my bed when I got back the first nighbut was just a mix up and could happen anywhere. Good if you like a buzzy and noisy hostel, which I do

• 27th Nov 2014

Wow such a great review! Thanks for staying! I love the Vietnamese restaurants too. For next time, we also have 10% of over £10 discount for guests at Bahn Mi 11 restaurant nearby - always good to know. Hope you had a great time in buzzy Shoreditch. Come back soon!

Nice people, clean rooms. Good facilities and an excellent location.

• 27th Nov 2014

Thanks for your review! Great to hear! Tell all your friends and make sure to come back soon ;) All the best!