The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

What a great place - a hidden gem in the heart of the Shoreditch area.

• 5th May 2015

What a great review! Short and sweet! Love it :) Thanks a bunch and come back soon :D

I've stayed in many hostels through my 20's, and have experienced an array of what hostel accommodation can be during this time. Therefore it is with ease and confidence that The Dictionary in Shoreditch is one of the best. Affordable, in an excellent location, friendly staff, fantastic facilities, secure access - both the building itself and in the rooms (they have some roomy heavyweight lockers under the beds to keep your stuff!) and the rooms are quiet - at least while I was there. Thumbs up!

• 5th May 2015

Wow thanks for such a great review! :) Really glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Hope you'll come back soon to stay with us again. We're making lots of improvements at the moment, so it's an exciting time for the hostel. All the best with your travels! :)

Receiption staff look the part but not great as far as knowledge. Often not paying attention to front door to buzz people inside/not knowing answers to questions and definitely not going out of their way to help. Bar/cafe staff very friendly and helpful with local info. Great location for all things Shoreditch though

Hey there. Thanks for the review. Three of our receptionists are brand spanking new & are still training at the minute, so hopefully it was just a case of teething problems. Sorry about that! :) If you need any more info, I would heartily recommend our new app! It's the perfect guide to Shoreditch and has loads of suggestions for things to do, walking routes to follow and great places to eat etc. Glad to hear you enjoyed the cafe & bar - hope you also enjoyed the 20% guest discount ;) Cheers!

El staff tiene muy poca onda. Solo hablan entre ellos, parecen cansados de trabajar ahí, muy poco amigables. La conexión a internet es MUY MALA, incluso la que es paga. Punto a favor la cocina es super completa. No tan grande, pero tiene de todo. Está en zona de bares y boliches, pero lejos del metro (a unas 7 cuadras de Old St. y a 10 de Liverpool St.).

Gracias por el feedback. Lo siento que había algunos problemas. Estamos haciendo esfuerzos para mejorar el wifi. Esperamos una nueva línea que proveerá una conexión mucho más fuerte. Debe llegar dentro del próximo mes. Estamos en la Zona 1 del metro a unos 7 minutos a pie de la estación de Old Street. La de Shoreditch High Street está aun más cerca a 5 minutos a pie. No está mal ;) Me alegra que te hayan gustado tanto la cocina y la ubicación entre todos los bares!

If you're in London stay here. Thanks for a great time . Robbie It's like the 6th street of London. 6th street of Austin TX that is

Loved the app. Followed the walking route for a morning in Shoreditch & had a great time. Lots of interesting stuff around East London and not your typical Big Ben and Buckingham Palace London experience - real people live here!! Staff were friendly when I needed advice and there is a nice independent vibe there that you don't get in other hostels. Showers are a bit small, but the rooms are great and how much time do you spend in the shower anyway? Breakfast was yummy - pretty good for free too.

• 23rd Apr 2015
  • prerakthomson2135

Thanks for the comments. Particularly on our app! We're working so hard to populate it with up to date info on events & the best places to go, eat, drink, shop, party & sightsee, so it's fantastic to know people are using it. :) You're right - East London's a completely different experience for people who are looking for something different from the typical London experience... but we're still within easy reach of all the traditional sights. Will share your comments with the staff later :D

Location was amazing, right in the heart of Shoreditch. When you stay in the city centre it's always going to be loud at times, but it's definitely worth it and the staff members made for a pleasant stay.

• 15th Apr 2015

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear you enjoyed our location in the heart of Shoreditch. I will pass on your kind words to our staff at our weekly meeting later on. Make sure you come back soon and thanks again! :)

I enjoyed to stay in this hostel: very unique atmosphere, lovely, helpful staff, breakfast is ok, nice people to meet, there's always people around, I recommand to every young people and to those who likes ebulliance. (pezsgés to Hungarians :) )

• Hungary

So glad you loved our independent vibe! There's nowhere else like us in London! ;) I had to google the meaning of ebulliance, just to check you weren't being rude ;) but I can confirm we have plenty of ebulliance too! Haha. Come back soon!! :D

The hostel is excellent! Travelling to London you should really stay there! Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Lovely location close to lots of interesting places, 15 min walk from Tower Bridge. Best place for meeting new people and having fun. I had so much fun staying is this hostel, would definitely stay again with no hesitation if I come back to London! (Oh yeah they are sooo creative: swing in the room etc:-)

• Hungary

Hey there! Glad to hear you had so much fun staying with us. That's what we love to hear! Please make sure you do come again - we would love to welcome you back! The swing is waiting for you.... ;)

I'll echo what so many others said when I first read about the hostel, which is that it is in an awesome location. Shoreditch is by far one of the hippest places in the world, and the staff were so friendly and helpful to point me in the right directions to see it. I loved the vibe of the hostel and its bar, and had a really great time whilst staying there. Can't wait for the next time!

• 13th Apr 2015

Thanks for your positive comments! Such great feedback :) Your right, our location is great! Haha ;) We love it here too - so much going on! (Top tip: download our app for more info on events, bars and walking routes) Glad you had such a good stay with us overall and that you made friends with the staff. I will pass on your comments to them at our weekly team meeting. They'll be so pleased. :) All the best and come back soon!

The Dictionary Hostel is as definitive as its name! What hip funky place to be! I am coming back as soon as I can!!

• 11th Apr 2015
  • South Africa

Thank you so much for your great review! We can't wait to have you back either. Get planning that return trip! :)

Great hostel! Nice friendly staff and awesome atmosphere. I stayed over the weekend and had a great time seeing the local sights during the day and checking out the bars at night. If I'm ever in East London again in know where I will be staying!

Hey! Thanks for the feedback :) Glad you enjoyed all that Shoreditch has to offer, both by day and by night. Download our app to stay connected with us and to keep up with all that's going on in Shoreditch and East London. Cheers!

Excellent position, awesome staff and just generally awesome. I'll never leave this place !

Thanks so much for the great review! :) I'll pass on your comments at the staff meeting this week :D Come back soon!

Great hostel and great staff! Keep up!

• 4th Apr 2015
  • Sweden

Thanks so much!! Please come back soon and download our app to stay in touch :)

Great London Hostel to stay in, easy going efficient staff giving the hostel a nice relaxed feel to it. Great breakfast on offer and good kitchen facilities to cook meals in, nice clean rooms and a great location to explore East London from. Really enjoyed my stay and will definitely be back here again on my next visit to London.

• 2nd Apr 2015
  • Scotland

Hey there! Thanks for the great feedback. So glad you enjoyed your time down in East London. I'm sure there's still loads left for you to discover, though (download our app to see!). Hope to see you back here soon ;) Cheers!

This was a great clean and fun place to stay as I was coming to London for a party in Shoreditch. It worked out cheaper than staying with friends and getting a taxi back as it's so well located. I enjoyed the free breakfast and it was nice to chat with the ppl visiting London and the person who worked there even let me use their phone charger as id forgotten mine. The room was smaller than other hostels ive stayed in but I think it was great value for money for central London. I'll be back :)

Hi! Thanks for leaving us some feedback :) Sounds like you had a great time in Shoreditch - hope to see you back again soon! All the best :)

my luggage box was broken, the staff changed my room without telling me (they send me an email while i was staying there, not only the wifi wasn't working, also i was upstairs! they could have told me before putting all my stuff (wet and dry) into a single box (and throwing my cookies)). the bathroom in my new room had the worst sewer smell i've ever scent. just pointing out what was wrong, the rest wasn't bad.

Sorry about this :( I believe there was an issue as you were due to move rooms & hadn't checked out & a group was checking into your original room. The team tried to find you but couldn't so they decided to put all your stuff together to keep it safe. Sorry - we never like to touch people's things but we thought it was the best thing to do. Your food was labeled & put in kitchen as we don't allow food in the rooms. The bathroom smell has been resolved :) Hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay :)

This is an awesome place to stay, staff very friendly and helpful at all times and a great way to meet new people and friends. Very clean with a great communal area to cook and socialise. In a great location with plenty of bars, clubs and other amenities. Highly recommended.

• 31st Mar 2015

Thanks so much for the great review!! :) I will definitely pass on your positive comments to the staff at our weekly team meeting - they love hearing feedback from happy guests. All the best with your future travels.

Totally loved my stay at Dictionary, all the staff were super helpful, breakfast was great (and free) and just had a great stay there. Amazing location as I wanted to be near Brick Lane and its the only hostel anywhere near this area. Only thing that would be improved would be more sun so I could have used the outdoor space, it was lovely. Not the cheapest hostel I have ever stayed in but this meant that it was a nice place to be, rather than a scruffy dirty place. Would definitely return!!!

• 31st Mar 2015

Hi! Thanks for your amazing review!! :) :) So glad you enjoyed our breakfast and being near to Brick Lane - it's such a cool area to just go for a wander. In case you fancy a second breakfast next time, there is a breakfast cereal cafe on Brick Lane that I can heartily recommend ;) Shame about the lack of sunshine! You should have seen it this weekend - glorious weather. Hope to see you back again soon! All the best :)

nice hostel. cool rooms. someone said there was a swing in theirs. bit noisy as someone was sawing something and making a new floor but ok it was only at 4pm so it was fine. would come back.

• 31st Mar 2015

Hi! Thanks for the comments :) You're right! There are swings in rooms W and X, two of our 10 bed dorms - they're great fun. ;) Sorry if you were disturbed by our handyman, Andrew - he's been busy at work laying the floor in our new lounge area, but it's nearly done now. It'll all be worth it in the end - thanks for your understanding. All the best with the rest of your travels. :)