The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Toilettes were only cleaned once a day so in the evening they are very untidy and clogged without toilette paper. Mice coming inside the room at night not funny. Very dirty floors in the rooms... Wifi paid connection very bad... Vending machine in washing room broken and no sign about this. Overall it sucks! but what to do is the cheapest.

• 11th Nov 2014
  • Mexico

Oh no! Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience! :( We are working very closely with a pest control company on the mouse issue. We have a 'no food in the rooms' rule to prevent them & there's lots of free food storage in the kitchen. Please let reception know if you see any food around & they will move it to the kitchen. Floors are cleaned daily, but I will speak to the cleaning team about your comments. Sorry! Our vending machine has now been replaced, you'll be glad to hear! All the best :)

I was surprised by the location of the hostel (so good!), you can do many things by foot, it's really close to bunch of good bars, pubs, clubs and places to eat. Also quite close to the tube station. The bar is very nice, with good food. Bedrooms were good, clean bed (but the floor under the bed was very dirty), two bathrooms in my room, not a lot of noise. In general, good price for a very nice hostel in London. Would recommend :)

• 11th Nov 2014

Glad you loved the location and the bars and the food!! So do we! I'll have a word with the cleaners about going under the beds this week - thanks for the feedback! Come back soon and keep in touch on Facebook! :D

Hostel was nice and the staff accommodating. Shower wasn't the best, low pressure and little hot water even at off-peak hours, but I've had worse.

HI. Thanks for your comments. The water pipe is being upgraded by the water board on 24th Nov, so that should help the pressure situation. Glad you liked that hostel and staff. Thanks!

Great location amongst all the bars/cafes in Shoreditch, very cool area. Helpful staff and big rooms. Downside was it was a bit noisy with the bar across the road but if you'll be out with them it won't be a problem!

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you had such a great time with us! Hope to see you back here soon. :D

I stayed in a mixed sixteen bed dorm, which to my surpise was very pleasant. Working in London as an intern all I required was a safe place for luggage and a bed- The Dictionary provided both of these and were happy to look after my bag for me on the day of check out. The other people in the dorm were respectful noise-wise, it was just nice not being completely alone.

• 1st Nov 2014

We're so glad you had a great stay with us! :) Thanks for letting us know - it certainly puts a smile on our faces. Come back soon :D

Overall pretty good. The rooms were clean and there were some nice areas for socializing. It's not in the center of London, but there is a good bar and restaurant scene around. Only real criticism is that the wifi is only free in the kitchen, you have to pay for it in the rooms. Otherwise I had a nice stay.

Thanks for reviewing. Glad you enjoyed your stay & managed to hang out with some of the other guests while you were here :) We're in Zone 1 for transport, which makes us pretty darn central when you consider there are 9 zones on the London transport network. London's huge! Free wifi's available in the kitchen, reception, courtyard, bar & coffee shop & it's £1 for in-room access. This helps us to keep those prices low & that way you only pay for it if you want it :) Come back soon! :D

We stayed in a very small 6-bed room whose only window faced an atrium which was very noisy. Poor ventilation. A very high price for an uncomfortable and noisy room.

• 29th Oct 2014
  • Sweden

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay :( Reception should be closing the courtyard at 10pm so it's not too noisy, but I'll have a word to make sure they are doing this on time. Also, if you have a word with them, they'll always try & find you an alternative room if you're unhappy. When I stop in hostels myself, I always take earplugs so I'm not disturbed by other guests - it's a good tip ;) Our reception always has some if you ever need any :)

water went off constantly, no toilet paper refilled, sheets dirty and beds marks everywhere. Staff friendly, but queues and lots of waiting around to get booked in and sign out when leaving. Mice, but they have traps. Rooms for groups are tiny, squashed in. Good you can come and go when you please though.

• 27th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

Sorry if you had any problems. Bathrooms are cleaned daily, but if loo roll runs out in between, just give reception a shout :) We're just installing a new, wider pipe, to give us more water flow, which should help the showers. We do have mouse traps around the property as a precaution, since guests taking food into the rooms can encourage them. But there's no infestation or anything! :) Glad you got on with the staff. They can help you reserve a bigger dorm in future :) Thanks for the review!

I stayed in a room for 16 people. We only had one shower as a "bathroom"!! No individual lights, so some untolerant guys turned the light on at 3 am... No computers to consult the internet...

Hi. Thanks for the review! All our 16 bed dorms are ensuite, with at least one shower and toilet, but should that be in use, there are always communal showers and toilets throughout the building you can use too. We don't offer computers, but there is an internet cafe just around the corner and we have free wifi in our communal areas. Anyway, I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay enough to give us over 70% despite your problems. All the best for your future travels! Thanks :)

I wasn't keen on sharing a room (the door to which was inexplicably left open often by staff more than once) with study abroad teens on a fall break, and equally not keen on having a different drunk male guest tell me a story of how he was sleeping on the streets until coming here each night of my stay. I was here a year ago and it was fine. Not great, but not awful and the free breakfast was nice but is no longer. Good location but clueless staff, many rooms without natural light, generally odd

• 21st Oct 2014

The Dictionary admittedly has a bedbug infestation and refused to refund my stay. I had just checked in when another backpacker told me about the bedbug issue. They had even just washed all of her clothes for free. When I returned to the front desk, they admitted that there was a bedbug infestation but that there was no chance I would get them. I was only asking for my one night stay to be refunded but they refused. I left and found another hostel nearby.

Hi . You're right! This summer we had a BB outbreak. But we worked tirelessly with a pest control co. to rid those affected rooms & success: no new incidents since summer! We now have professional inspections to ensure no repeats. We did wash the guests' clothes as a precaution though. I'm sorry you decided to leave shortly after checking in, but as we've no current issues & you didn't give 24hrs' notice we didn't feel it fair to refund you. We wish you the best of luck on your future travels! :)

It's a really nice hostel. Crew is awesome.

• 16th Oct 2014
  • Austria

There are some really great guests too! ;) Thanks for your lovely review. Stay in touch with us on Facebook and come back soon. All the best for your travels! :D

The dictionary is a fine place if you're only in London to party, and have no intention of spending any time at the actual hostel. The rooms are tiny with no air-flow so it gets hot and smelly fast. The organisation isn't stellar but that's mostly due to the lack of any moving space in this property. Paying 1£ P/day for wifi that never worked was a shame. Some of the staff was great while others couldn't be bothered to help out. It's not a place to stay if you have anything to do other than rage

Thanks for the review! You're right, some smaller rooms can get a bit stuffy in summer and October was freakishly warm this year! Next time speak to reception & they can always try & move you to a room with more air if you're unhappy :) We're extending our communal areas next year which will create more space to relax outside your room too. Sorry about the wifi - just let reception know in future and they'll refund you, no problems! Hope you'll come back one day to see the improvements :)

Breakfast vouchers would be a great idea to get that value for money up, the cafe/bar next to is so convenient! The breaky burrito could do with an avo salsa on top and a bit more filling. The laundrette right next door and Banksy piece 2 minutes walk away. Epic! The Shoreditch area is awesome, def worth staying a few nights at the Dictionary :)

• 13th Oct 2014

Thanks for the feedback:) We are planning to introduce a free breakfast soon, so it seems we are on the same wavelength ;) Great minds think alike. It's really superb when we get to read reviews like yours - it's good for the soul. Stay in touch with us on Facebook and come back soon please! :D

Nice place to crash for partying, pub adjoined and Shoreditch is the London neighborhood for going out. Each bed had its outlet and a little ledge on the wall to put stuff, which was great, but the room was tiny. Avoid n maybe (6 mixed ensuite).

Thanks for the review! You're right, room N is one of our smallest rooms. Next time, you might like to ask for one of our roomier dorms - A/C/G/H/I/L/M/P/Q/S/V/W/X and Z all have a bit more space. Reception will be able to advise which one is the best for your needs :) Hope you had fun partying in Shoreditch and hope to see you again in the future! :)

When checking in the male staff at the counter was very rude and I had to wait for him to finish typing his text message until he would acknowledge me. The location of the hostel is good. Right on the High Street of Shoreditch and only a 10min wait to Liverpool St station. But if you want to be close to the city of London there's other hostels to choose from. Would I stay here again....... No.

I expected much better from this hostel. First of all, the room I was in was really small, people's stuff everywhere, and also very ugly... Their bed allocating system is really bad, I had to wake up in the middle of the night because they were looking for empty beds. Twice. Some of the staff was rude. My food was stolen twice, so decided to keep it in my room anyway... They clean the toilets once a day, so in the evening it is very dirty. The lock on the door was broken so anyone could come in.

Thanks for the review. We're starting to number beds soon to stop people swapping between them. It should also help us work out who's in the wrong bed just by looking on the system. Sadly, not all guests are as tidy as you ;) I also apologise if you had a problem with staff being rude, that's completely unacceptable. Ensuite toilets are cleaned daily & those in communal areas 2x a day. In future, if you let reception know the door is broken/toilet is dirty, they'll send someone to fix it. :)

Shower facilities need to be updated, water temperature was either really hot or really cold, if at all (at 9am). Location of hostel is in a trendy area with plenty of access to good bars, restaurants and public transportation. However really loud between the hours of 12am - 4am...

Thanks for the feedback. We're in the process of installing a wider water pipe which will give us greater flow. We were just waiting for council approval, but it should be functioning soon which will sort any problems. We've got a great location in the heart of Shoreditch, but you're right, it can get a bit noisy at the weekends. Best thing to do is to pack a pair of earplugs, just in case (and reception have some if you forget), or even better... head out and join the party-goers! ;)

It was my first UK hostel and compared to other places in the world the rooms were super small. Staff was friendly but during check in (I arrived at 1:30am) they didn't have a key card for me and she gave me a bed that I realized the next morning that it was not clean. Then two days later they cleaned my bed (throwing my t-shirt away) since the cleaning crew thought that I had checked out. Only one bed out of the six in the room had a functioning chain to lock your stuff. The rest were broken

• 8th Oct 2014
  • Greece

Thanks for the review. Welcome to London! ;) Every square metre counts in this city, so rooms might be smaller than elsewhere, but our prices are extremely low for London. But we have some roomier dorms too: try A/C/M/P/Q/S/V/W/X next time :) We don't throw guests' stuff out, even if we think they've left - it goes in lost property. So, send me an email with a description of your shirt & I'll see if I can find it for you :) And you shouldn't need chains to lock the cages in room N. All the best!

This hostel is located in Shoreditch, which is one of the major epicentres of London nightlife. The area is fairly sleepy during the day, and comes alive at night, which is great if you're looking for that experience while in London. The hostel itself has exceptionally clean and nice bathrooms, and a great kitchen and dining area. It's also attached to a bar. It does not have a free breakfast, which was a letdown. The pub crawl is fantastic, and a great way to sample Shoreditch nightlife.

Hi ! Thanks for leaving us feedback :) Glad you had such a good time with us. It might have seemed sleepy but, trust me, there's loads going on around Shoreditch during the day! Next time you're with us, ask reception & they'll be able to recommend lots of great things to do in the day... before you go out & party at night ;) Breakfast isn't included, but we are considering introducing it soon & in the meantime, there's a 20% discount in the bar for our guests. Yay! Come back again soon! :)