The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

The dictionary is a fine place if you're only in London to party, and have no intention of spending any time at the actual hostel. The rooms are tiny with no air-flow so it gets hot and smelly fast. The organisation isn't stellar but that's mostly due to the lack of any moving space in this property. Paying 1£ P/day for wifi that never worked was a shame. Some of the staff was great while others couldn't be bothered to help out. It's not a place to stay if you have anything to do other than rage

Thanks for the review! You're right, some smaller rooms can get a bit stuffy in summer and October was freakishly warm this year! Next time speak to reception & they can always try & move you to a room with more air if you're unhappy :) We're extending our communal areas next year which will create more space to relax outside your room too. Sorry about the wifi - just let reception know in future and they'll refund you, no problems! Hope you'll come back one day to see the improvements :)

Breakfast vouchers would be a great idea to get that value for money up, the cafe/bar next to is so convenient! The breaky burrito could do with an avo salsa on top and a bit more filling. The laundrette right next door and Banksy piece 2 minutes walk away. Epic! The Shoreditch area is awesome, def worth staying a few nights at the Dictionary :)

• 13th Oct 2014

Thanks for the feedback:) We are planning to introduce a free breakfast soon, so it seems we are on the same wavelength ;) Great minds think alike. It's really superb when we get to read reviews like yours - it's good for the soul. Stay in touch with us on Facebook and come back soon please! :D

Nice place to crash for partying, pub adjoined and Shoreditch is the London neighborhood for going out. Each bed had its outlet and a little ledge on the wall to put stuff, which was great, but the room was tiny. Avoid n maybe (6 mixed ensuite).

Thanks for the review! You're right, room N is one of our smallest rooms. Next time, you might like to ask for one of our roomier dorms - A/C/G/H/I/L/M/P/Q/S/V/W/X and Z all have a bit more space. Reception will be able to advise which one is the best for your needs :) Hope you had fun partying in Shoreditch and hope to see you again in the future! :)

When checking in the male staff at the counter was very rude and I had to wait for him to finish typing his text message until he would acknowledge me. The location of the hostel is good. Right on the High Street of Shoreditch and only a 10min wait to Liverpool St station. But if you want to be close to the city of London there's other hostels to choose from. Would I stay here again....... No.

I expected much better from this hostel. First of all, the room I was in was really small, people's stuff everywhere, and also very ugly... Their bed allocating system is really bad, I had to wake up in the middle of the night because they were looking for empty beds. Twice. Some of the staff was rude. My food was stolen twice, so decided to keep it in my room anyway... They clean the toilets once a day, so in the evening it is very dirty. The lock on the door was broken so anyone could come in.

Thanks for the review. We're starting to number beds soon to stop people swapping between them. It should also help us work out who's in the wrong bed just by looking on the system. Sadly, not all guests are as tidy as you ;) I also apologise if you had a problem with staff being rude, that's completely unacceptable. Ensuite toilets are cleaned daily & those in communal areas 2x a day. In future, if you let reception know the door is broken/toilet is dirty, they'll send someone to fix it. :)

Shower facilities need to be updated, water temperature was either really hot or really cold, if at all (at 9am). Location of hostel is in a trendy area with plenty of access to good bars, restaurants and public transportation. However really loud between the hours of 12am - 4am...

Thanks for the feedback. We're in the process of installing a wider water pipe which will give us greater flow. We were just waiting for council approval, but it should be functioning soon which will sort any problems. We've got a great location in the heart of Shoreditch, but you're right, it can get a bit noisy at the weekends. Best thing to do is to pack a pair of earplugs, just in case (and reception have some if you forget), or even better... head out and join the party-goers! ;)

It was my first UK hostel and compared to other places in the world the rooms were super small. Staff was friendly but during check in (I arrived at 1:30am) they didn't have a key card for me and she gave me a bed that I realized the next morning that it was not clean. Then two days later they cleaned my bed (throwing my t-shirt away) since the cleaning crew thought that I had checked out. Only one bed out of the six in the room had a functioning chain to lock your stuff. The rest were broken

• 8th Oct 2014
  • Greece

Thanks for the review. Welcome to London! ;) Every square metre counts in this city, so rooms might be smaller than elsewhere, but our prices are extremely low for London. But we have some roomier dorms too: try A/C/M/P/Q/S/V/W/X next time :) We don't throw guests' stuff out, even if we think they've left - it goes in lost property. So, send me an email with a description of your shirt & I'll see if I can find it for you :) And you shouldn't need chains to lock the cages in room N. All the best!

This hostel is located in Shoreditch, which is one of the major epicentres of London nightlife. The area is fairly sleepy during the day, and comes alive at night, which is great if you're looking for that experience while in London. The hostel itself has exceptionally clean and nice bathrooms, and a great kitchen and dining area. It's also attached to a bar. It does not have a free breakfast, which was a letdown. The pub crawl is fantastic, and a great way to sample Shoreditch nightlife.

Hi ! Thanks for leaving us feedback :) Glad you had such a good time with us. It might have seemed sleepy but, trust me, there's loads going on around Shoreditch during the day! Next time you're with us, ask reception & they'll be able to recommend lots of great things to do in the day... before you go out & party at night ;) Breakfast isn't included, but we are considering introducing it soon & in the meantime, there's a 20% discount in the bar for our guests. Yay! Come back again soon! :)

The location right in the heart of Shoreditch is fantastic and very well connected with public transport links. However, I am slightly disappointed by my stay here as the staff are mostly rude and unfriendly and very disorganised. They didn't seem to have any idea of what was going on in regards to their reservations and were rude when handling mistakes they'd made. Kitchen is great, but plumbing and bathrooms could be better. Not an entirely awful stay, but I expected more for what I paid.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear you had problems with our staff. We've had a few problems with reception staff recently & so we've replaced some of the receptionists you met with some more enthusiastic & organised ones. We want you to have a great time & to do that we need to have great staff! The plumbing's in the process of being improved - we've just installed an increased diameter pipe which should boost the power of our flow. Hope you'll come back to see all the improvements here! :D

As somebody previously wrote, this place is a backpacker hole. And that is a very accurate description. If you're into something tidy, with many facilities and staff that cares at all, go elsewhere. Huge plus - there is a kitchen (I was in hostels in London which don't have a kitchen at all) Huge minuses - normal speed WiFi is not free, food disappearing from the fridge for TWO consecutive days even when it was LABELED, some of staff were unpleasant, new bed linen which was quite dirty.

Thanks for review! I do think hole's an unfair description though. Wifi's free in common areas (speed affected by no of people on it). You can pay £1 for faster in-room wifi. Bed linen's professionally laundered, so just ask reception if there's a problem & they'll swap it. We've replaced 2 reception staff recently who didn't meet our high customer service levels, so I hope that will improve the guest experience. We also have ensuites, roof terrace & table football - good going for London! :)

Poor security and no locks on most of the cages under the beds, also very dirty under the begs. Otherwise very happy with the stay.

Thanks for the review! :) Most of our guests bring locks with them for use with lockers (or, in our case: cages) at all the hostels they visit, but if not, compatible locks are available at reception. There is also a 24/7 reception, coded security door & keycard lock to get past before arriving in your room, so hopefully you & your things should be safe during your stay. I will speak to the cleaning team & get them to have a good clean under the beds. Glad you enjoyed your stay overall though :)

Best thing about this hostel is its location. Hostel itself not so bad.

Thanks for the review. Glad you liked the location! Come back soon :)

Not your average hostel goer: I'm 45 and never stayed in a hostel before. Needed last minute place to sleep and as hotels were full, tried the hostel. Great welcome, bed really comfy with nice crisp cotton sheets. Bit of noise but nothing you couldn't sleep through with a smile. Clean hot shower in the morning, on my way! Perfect, thank you.

• 24th Sep 2014

Thanks for your comments! Reviews like that remind us why we're in the job. :D We're so glad you loved your first hostelling experience! Hopefully this will be the first of many to come. :) It was probably a bit easier on your pocket than the local hotels too ;) Tell all your friends and hurry back soon!

This was such a cool, funky place. I would definitely stay there again.

And we'd definitely have you to stay again too ;) Thanks for the great review and all the best for your travels! :D

It was very good, overall. I can only complain about the room for storing food. There was only one refrigerator filled up with food from people who were probably already gone, so it was not possible to store anything else.

• 23rd Sep 2014
  • Uruguay

Hi! Thanks for the review. Sorry to hear you had a problem with the fridges. One broke while you were here, so there was only 1 working, but we ordered some more and now we have 3!! So there should be plenty of space! :) Hope you'll come back soon. :D

outside the room were toilets and showers, that was good. But often the toilet paper was missing or they were closed.

• 23rd Sep 2014

Thanks for your comments! :) The toilet roll is replaced every day, but if you let reception know, they will be able to find you some more in the meantime. Come back soon!

Took about half an hour to get me checked in which was a bit of a drag on a Monday evening, but the staff were otherwise a bunch of friendly, cool blokes. A little bit of a labyrinth challenge navigating the way to my dormitory, and there are too few power sockets in the rooms to make a technology-dependent traveller completely satisfied. One of the top things about this affordable hostel is its location- Shoreditch is the part of London you want to be in.

Thanks for your great comments! Much appreciated! We hear you about check-in and we have a new passport scanner and computer to speed up everything at reception. Our building is a bit of a rabbit's warren, isn't it?! But I think it makes it quirky ;) Glad you loved the location and our staff. I will pass on your kind words. Come back soon :)

The worst hostel in five months of travel.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us :( On the positive side, if this was the worst place you stayed in 5 months, then you must have had an awesome trip! Wishing you all the best for your travels! Come back and see all the improvements we're making next time you are back in London. :)

I had a great time at the Dictionary. Location is great, and you have everything you need close by. Within walking distance to Old Street station, so it's real easy to get out and doing things. Staff is great too. Cheers guys ;)

Thanks for such a great review! We loved having you to stay! Hope you'll pop in and say hello again at some point. Thanks for your positivity! :)

They take advantage of the location to allow a bad management. We were 16 in the room with 1 toilet. No common space except the kitchen. In the kitchen no windows, 1 fridge was broken the other one full of disgusting things and 1 sink was broken so 1 sink for the whole hostel. The staff act as if you were bothering and except the cages under your bed there is 0 security (anyone enter in the hostel, the rooms and the luggage room). I heard of 5 different stories of things missing.

We're so sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. You came just as our maintenance man was renovating the kitchen. We have 2 brand new, bigger fridges now & a brand new worktop (which is why the sink was temporarily out of order). We're having a big extension in the basement next year to create more chillout areas. Hopefully that'll be a big improvement :) All our rooms have keycard locks & there's a coded security door & CCTV so hopefully you should feel safe. At least you liked the location ;)