The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

we had a great time, met nice and awesome people. the rooms are clean and the beds okay. anyway, sometimes the water didn't work while you were taking a shower but restartet only one or two minutes later. i missed a common room to hang out in the evening, because the ktichen was not very cosy. never the less I liked the hostel and can recommend it!

• 20th Aug 2014

Thanks for your feedback. We are glad you liked our hostel! :) We are working with Thames Water to increase our water pipe so we can get even more water into the building asap. If you come back next year, the kitchen will have been expanded and there will be a chillout area too. It's going to be huge - twice the current size! Should be awesome :)

This place has a great location to party hard but that also dictates the type of person staying here. It's nothing but a backpacker geto. Not only international but a large amount of no hoper young British drug dealers, facilitating an income from organising drugs for all the backpackers. The staff are all backpackers and seem to wonder freely between rooms. One morning I had a smelly dreadlocked guy walk in on me in shower, 10min later some British girl stralls into room without knocking.

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We have a 100% no drugs policy & we wouldn't have it any other way. If this type of behaviour ever occurs, I would suggest you inform reception immediately so they can contact the police as this is completely unacceptable. If you also inform reception about broken locks, we have a maintenance manager on site who we can send to help you immediately. We do have many backpackers (from UK & abroad) but we also have business people, students & tourists too :)

A lot of things about this hostel really bothered me, but mostly the staff and the mice. The staff were unprofessional, unwilling to help, and put the blame on us for their mice infestation. They would only clean our bathroom on occasion or when they felt like it. The security at this hostel is so poor that they let anyone walk in at anytime... I was woken up by someone trying to steal my bag hanging on the edge of my bed. Cute looking hostel though.

• 18th Aug 2014

Thanks for the feedback. We're currently putting our receptionists through extra customer service training with our new Front of House Manager to make sure guests get the best experience. We're also working with a new pest control company to improve the mouse situation. We ask all guests to keep absolutely no food in rooms to help us with this. Bathrooms are cleaned daily. All rooms have keycard locks & there's a security door for upstairs. We're getting a further security door for downstairs :)

A little bit noisy hostel but I had solve the problem putting my ear plugs. Less than 10 minutes walk Old street tube station and many pubs in the area. 30 pounds per night during the weekend (£210 per week) anyway, don't forget we are in London...

• 17th Aug 2014

Ah thanks for your kind words! :) Yes, Shoreditch can be a bit noisy at night due to all the bars, but we think you handled the situation very well ;) We hope to see you again soon!

Two words: mice infestation. There were nice crawling around our hostel room for the entire 9 days I stayed at the dictionary. And the staff did nothing but put a sign on the door saying : do not bring food in here. No traps were set and nothing else was done. Bathrooms were never cleaned. The sink in our room was clogged the entire time I was there and the toilets were discussing. Thanks for not caring dictionary. Never will return.

Thanks for the feedback. It's really useful for us. We're working with a new pest control firm & this is helping the mouse issue. Sadly, it's a problem for many businesses in East London, but we're getting there! I can confirm that all our bathrooms are cleaned from top to bottom every day. Maybe as you were in a 14-bed dorm, some of your fellow guests got to it before you once it had been cleaned ;) In future, if you report any issues to our staff at the time, they'll be happy to move you asap

Not much sleep, but that was what I expected... My room and the toilet were clean, great people in the room and all around... The location is perfect!! Good times! I would definitely stay in The Dictionary again.

So glad you had a great time with us. Thanks for taking the time to let us know :)

Showers didn't work half the time and there was one room that apparently had two mice in it.

Our shower pressure can be low during peak times, so we recommend people take a shower outside of these if they can. However, rest assured we are working with Thames Water to sort this and we should be getting a bigger pipe soon! Mice can be encouraged by people keeping food in the rooms, so we ask guests to keep food only in the kitchen, but we are working with a professional pest control company to help get mice out of the area! Thanks for your comments :)

The hostel itself is located in a really hip, vibrant part of Shoreditch, and is a great place to meet people and have a night out. If you don't mind a very loud lobby / street outside, then it's a great place - I tend to prefer chill, quiet places to stay (so I would only recommend this place to people looking to be very social). Otherwise, a very clean, safe, and well-designed hostel!

Thanks for your great comments! We look forward to having you to stay again soon. If you email in advance, we can try and look for a quieter room for you :)

The hostel had a good vibe, convenient cafe and bar next door. We stayed in room A which is on the ground level. This room can basically be accessed by anyone who walks in off the street. Since there are bars on either side of the hostel, it is extremely loud compared to other rooms upstairs. Its awesome that people like to hang out together from the hostel, but they were blasting music in the lobby until the late AM which is on the other side of our room... needless to say this was obnoxious.

• 15th Aug 2014

Thanks for the feedback. We're so glad you loved the vibe & the bar. We love it too (& the 20% guest discount even more ;) !) All our rooms are locked with a keycard & there is an additional security door for all rooms upstairs. We are currently ordering a further security door for the ground floor rooms to make them even more secure. I have had a word with receptionists and there will no longer be music blasting at night. Furthermore, we're working on improving soundproofing for the rooms :)

Very dirty, smelly, far from city centre. Beds looked dirty, extremely loud at night. Very dirty once again. The lady at the front desk acknowledge her piece of pizza and proceeded by eating it before serving me.

We're sorry your stay doesn't seem to have met with our high expectations. We're located in East London - a great area to go out & party, see street art & enjoy alternative culture. It's less than ten minutes walk to the nearest tube station, Old Street, which is in Zone 1 & only 2 stops away from Kings Cross. I can confirm that our hostel is cleaned from top to bottom every day & all our laundry is cleaned by a professional company, but I will have a word with our head cleaner & receptionists!

Constant lack of water (couldn't use taps and showers 4 times in a 3-day stay. Once water stopped running while I was having a shower). We "got visited" by a mouse one night at the reception - really disgusting. Kitchen was extremely messy and dirty. No clean dishes available. No luggage scale available (even though it was advertised on the wall). Internet didn't work on the fourth floor. I paid for it and couldn't use it.

• 15th Aug 2014

Wow! We're so sorry you don't seem to have enjoyed your stay with us :( We are currently working with Thames Water to increase the size of the pipe they supply us with to help with the water situation. We hate mice as much as you do and are working to get rid of them as our top priority. We now have a fully stocked kitchen (thanks to IKEA!) and are working to make it as clean and practical as possible. Thanks for taking the time to give us the feedback.

We had read a lot of horror stories before we went on our stay but we were pleasantly surprised to see the improvements on the place.

• 14th Aug 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

We are so glad you had a good time with us! Thanks for your kind words and hope to see you again soon. :)

Mice crawling around every night was pretty gross. Beds were hard. But the location is excellent. Not that close to a tube station but right in the middle of the hip neighborhood of Shoreditch.

Thanks for your feedback. We like our location too, but you're right - the mice are gross. We are doing our very best to get rid of them!

The room itself was ok, the lockers under the bed and the plug near the bed too. However, the window sill was dirty so my bed being against the window got dirty. The shower did not work or had extremely low pressure and the bathroom was not particularly clean. People shouting and making a lot of noise outside during the middle of the night did not allow for a very good sleep. I chose this place as it was close to where I had to go but it is unlikely I go back there.

We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay, but thanks for your comments. I'll speak to the cleaners about your feedback. Showers can be weaker during peak times, but we're working with Thames Water to sort this and we are getting a new, bigger pipe soon. You're right, Shoreditch can be quite noisy at night as there are a lot of bars nearby and people who like to party. In future, speak to reception and they've got earplugs if it's too noisy :) Hope to see you again in the future.

Perfect place to stay in London on budget, Shoreditch is an incredible neighborghood, but be sure to bring some earplugs because is a little noisy at night

No windows in 16 bed mixed dorm aside from skylight that opened about 5cm - thus the smells and the heat were stiffling

• 8th Aug 2014

Somebody from the hostel came out to the common space/court yard only once to tell people they couldn't sit there anymore. People ignored him and continued to sit there talking really loud and a lot of people were already trying to sleep in the neighboring rooms. And I had to wake up at 5 so I was not really happy.

• 5th Aug 2014

Thanks for taking the time to give us this feedback. We are working on increasing the sound insulation around the rooms, but will also speak to our staff to ensure that they are closing the courtyard properly and on time.

Great hostel, staff were sooo helpful, Emma in particular was amazing when we arrived. Really good facilities, kitchen had everything we needed. Breakfast and lunch prices were very reasonable. The walk to Liverpool street station took about 15 minutes, but there was a bus stop just outside the hostel making it easy enough to get around. Overall, had a really good stay! Would recommend this place for sure

• 5th Aug 2014

Thanks for the great review! We really appreciate it!

Kitchen was closed and the staff took a long time to check people in. But location is good and showers worked, which was a plus!

2nd time I've stayed here and it's great. Top stuff. Cheers

Thanks for the review. We're glad you love it here too!