The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

The location right in the heart of Shoreditch is fantastic and very well connected with public transport links. However, I am slightly disappointed by my stay here as the staff are mostly rude and unfriendly and very disorganised. They didn't seem to have any idea of what was going on in regards to their reservations and were rude when handling mistakes they'd made. Kitchen is great, but plumbing and bathrooms could be better. Not an entirely awful stay, but I expected more for what I paid.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear you had problems with our staff. We've had a few problems with reception staff recently & so we've replaced some of the receptionists you met with some more enthusiastic & organised ones. We want you to have a great time & to do that we need to have great staff! The plumbing's in the process of being improved - we've just installed an increased diameter pipe which should boost the power of our flow. Hope you'll come back to see all the improvements here! :D

As somebody previously wrote, this place is a backpacker hole. And that is a very accurate description. If you're into something tidy, with many facilities and staff that cares at all, go elsewhere. Huge plus - there is a kitchen (I was in hostels in London which don't have a kitchen at all) Huge minuses - normal speed WiFi is not free, food disappearing from the fridge for TWO consecutive days even when it was LABELED, some of staff were unpleasant, new bed linen which was quite dirty.

Thanks for review! I do think hole's an unfair description though. Wifi's free in common areas (speed affected by no of people on it). You can pay £1 for faster in-room wifi. Bed linen's professionally laundered, so just ask reception if there's a problem & they'll swap it. We've replaced 2 reception staff recently who didn't meet our high customer service levels, so I hope that will improve the guest experience. We also have ensuites, roof terrace & table football - good going for London! :)

Poor security and no locks on most of the cages under the beds, also very dirty under the begs. Otherwise very happy with the stay.

Thanks for the review! :) Most of our guests bring locks with them for use with lockers (or, in our case: cages) at all the hostels they visit, but if not, compatible locks are available at reception. There is also a 24/7 reception, coded security door & keycard lock to get past before arriving in your room, so hopefully you & your things should be safe during your stay. I will speak to the cleaning team & get them to have a good clean under the beds. Glad you enjoyed your stay overall though :)

Best thing about this hostel is its location. Hostel itself not so bad.

Thanks for the review. Glad you liked the location! Come back soon :)

Not your average hostel goer: I'm 45 and never stayed in a hostel before. Needed last minute place to sleep and as hotels were full, tried the hostel. Great welcome, bed really comfy with nice crisp cotton sheets. Bit of noise but nothing you couldn't sleep through with a smile. Clean hot shower in the morning, on my way! Perfect, thank you.

• 24th Sep 2014

Thanks for your comments! Reviews like that remind us why we're in the job. :D We're so glad you loved your first hostelling experience! Hopefully this will be the first of many to come. :) It was probably a bit easier on your pocket than the local hotels too ;) Tell all your friends and hurry back soon!

This was such a cool, funky place. I would definitely stay there again.

And we'd definitely have you to stay again too ;) Thanks for the great review and all the best for your travels! :D

It was very good, overall. I can only complain about the room for storing food. There was only one refrigerator filled up with food from people who were probably already gone, so it was not possible to store anything else.

• 23rd Sep 2014
  • Uruguay

Hi! Thanks for the review. Sorry to hear you had a problem with the fridges. One broke while you were here, so there was only 1 working, but we ordered some more and now we have 3!! So there should be plenty of space! :) Hope you'll come back soon. :D

outside the room were toilets and showers, that was good. But often the toilet paper was missing or they were closed.

• 23rd Sep 2014

Thanks for your comments! :) The toilet roll is replaced every day, but if you let reception know, they will be able to find you some more in the meantime. Come back soon!

Took about half an hour to get me checked in which was a bit of a drag on a Monday evening, but the staff were otherwise a bunch of friendly, cool blokes. A little bit of a labyrinth challenge navigating the way to my dormitory, and there are too few power sockets in the rooms to make a technology-dependent traveller completely satisfied. One of the top things about this affordable hostel is its location- Shoreditch is the part of London you want to be in.

Thanks for your great comments! Much appreciated! We hear you about check-in and we have a new passport scanner and computer to speed up everything at reception. Our building is a bit of a rabbit's warren, isn't it?! But I think it makes it quirky ;) Glad you loved the location and our staff. I will pass on your kind words. Come back soon :)

The worst hostel in five months of travel.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us :( On the positive side, if this was the worst place you stayed in 5 months, then you must have had an awesome trip! Wishing you all the best for your travels! Come back and see all the improvements we're making next time you are back in London. :)

I had a great time at the Dictionary. Location is great, and you have everything you need close by. Within walking distance to Old Street station, so it's real easy to get out and doing things. Staff is great too. Cheers guys ;)

Thanks for such a great review! We loved having you to stay! Hope you'll pop in and say hello again at some point. Thanks for your positivity! :)

They take advantage of the location to allow a bad management. We were 16 in the room with 1 toilet. No common space except the kitchen. In the kitchen no windows, 1 fridge was broken the other one full of disgusting things and 1 sink was broken so 1 sink for the whole hostel. The staff act as if you were bothering and except the cages under your bed there is 0 security (anyone enter in the hostel, the rooms and the luggage room). I heard of 5 different stories of things missing.

We're so sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. You came just as our maintenance man was renovating the kitchen. We have 2 brand new, bigger fridges now & a brand new worktop (which is why the sink was temporarily out of order). We're having a big extension in the basement next year to create more chillout areas. Hopefully that'll be a big improvement :) All our rooms have keycard locks & there's a coded security door & CCTV so hopefully you should feel safe. At least you liked the location ;)

This hostel was good! They had cage lockers underneath the bunks which I really appreciated -- but of course bring your own lock. The staff were really friendly. The only problems I had were the bathrooms and the noise level. The water from one of the showers would run on then shut off. With the noise level, the hostel is located in an area with a lot of bars -- should've done more research on my end for that. You can definitely hear bumping music from around the hostel at night.

• 18th Sep 2014

Hey! Thanks for your kind comments. We're working on the shower situation. It happens at peak times when lots of people are trying to shower at once. We are getting a bigger pipe from the water authorities though, so all should be resolved soon! :) Shoreditch can be a bit of a party area, so we have earplugs at reception if you ever need them. Glad you liked our cage lockers - they're cool aren't they!? Hope to see you again soon! :)

After waiting to be checked in we were taken to our room and told to choose two beds...there was only one bed as they do not actually assign beds. One of us went downstairs to resolve the problem, after waiting a decent amount of time the staff came up to look at the situation only to decide that he couldn't figure it out and would have to talk to management and asked if we needed the bed right away (we arrived at 7pm or so). There was only one key that the staff had so you needed them to enter.

• 17th Sep 2014

Thanks for the feedback. I'm so sorry for the problems you encountered. We have had a delivery of keycards now and are trialing a new bed allocation system, so hopefully there will a be an improvement in that respect. Reception should also become quicker as we have a new passport scanner and computer. Hopefully you'll come back soon and see the improvements for yourself! :)

This was my first experience with hostel and i was not dissapointed. It´s clean hostel with willing employees and it´s in the center of London so it´s perfedt for tourists.

• 16th Sep 2014
  • Czech Republic
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Ah great! We are so glad you loved staying in hostels! Hopefully this will be the first of many stays to come. Hurry back to London soon!

Be prepared that there will be no air to breathe in the night - as the window opens for a closed space. I would except more toilets for 16 people. One is not enough. You never know which bed is free and sometimes it was difficult to figure out for new people....

• 16th Sep 2014
  • Slovakia

Hi. Thanks for your feedback. It is appreciated! We are trialing a new bed-labelling system which should help the problem you mentioned. Most of our en-suites have one toilet, but there are communal toilets you can use around the hostel if one of your roommates is taking a particularly long time in there... ;) Hope to see you again in the future.

This place could be so great, but really, it's very, very ordinary. Check in was absurdly slow, as was anything to do with the front desk. 6 bed room was obscenely small. Lockers not particularly secure. A lot of noise from the street, windows wouldn't close. Avoid thursday to saturday if you want sleep. No vibe in the common areas. Only thing going for it is the location.

Thanks for the feedback - it helps us to improve. We've bought a passport scanner & new computer to help speed everything up on reception based on guest comments, so hopefully that should help. :) The area can be noisy as there are lots of bars and party goers around, but earplugs are available at reception if you find it gets too noisy. Locker cages all shut with a padlock, rooms have keycard entry & there's a coded security door downstairs, so hopefully your things should be safe! :)

Well, actually it was so good. Some of staff were really rude but beside this is was definitely ok. Rooms were clean but in 16 dorms were bit warm. I recommend stay there and definitely will come back!!!! :) Friday night in bar translate? The best night in london.

• 15th Sep 2014
  • Poland

Ahh thanks for your lovely comments! :) Sorry to hear that one of our team wasn't friendly with you. If you email me at info@thedictionaryhostel.com and let me know who it was, I can have a word with them. Glad you had a great stay overall though! Can't wait to have you back!

Not sure when the showers and toilet were last cleaned, rooms are very squishy, Couldn't get a key card to access my room for 2 days. Checking in, out and anything involving staff was painfully slow.

Hey. Thanks for your comments. Sorry to hear about your problems! The hostel is cleaned top to bottom every day (including showers and toilets) and there is also a night cleaner, but sometimes your fellow guests might get there before you unfortunately. We have just got a load of new key cards and a passport scanner delivered to make check in/out quicker and smoother. Hopefully you'll notice if you come back again. :)

Loved this hostel!! Staff was so nice

Thanks! Come back soon! :)