The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Friendliest staff in the land! Specially the Hungarian who greeted me on the way in!

Thanks for the great feedback. I will let Viki know that her customer service is appreciated :)

We arrived at the hostel late Saturday night and had a difficult time finding the entrance to the hostel behind the line to the club next door. Once we finally got inside the hostel employees were very unhelpful, once we finally got their attention they seemed annoyed to help us. They ran out of keys for our room, room was disgusting, couldn't find a clean bed, very loud, overall an uncomfortable experience.

• 13th Sep 2014

We're so sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We are currently seeking planning permission to put up a sign outside, but these things take time. We have recently had a new batch of key cards delivered, so hopefully that particular issue should no longer be a problem. That's no excuse for our stall being unfriendly though and I will be speaking to them about your feedback. Hopefully you'll give us another try in the future. :)

This is the perfect hostel to stay at to enjoy the coolest area I have been to in London. The staff were friendly from the first moment I stepped in the door and and felt more like friends than employees. Definitely check it out!

So great to hear that! Thanks for the feedback and hurry back soon! :D

It was pretty nice, the staff gave good info about the surroundings. The only problem was that the fire alarm went on at 4am, and it was pretty tiresome to get out of the building (it was also cold). Besides that, I had no problem at all.

• 11th Sep 2014

Hi. Thanks for your comments, great to hear. We're sorry about the fire alarm, but we think you'll agree, being outside and cold is better than being inside and on fire! ;) Hope to see you again soon.

So many good things here. Staff, guests, location, beds. I stayed a few days then changed plans so I could stay a while longer! Seems like they're recently under new management and issues mentioned by others are being dealt with. I was sad to go and by the time I left it felt like saying goodbye to family. Would definitely stay again and recommend it to others!

Can't wait to have you back again soon! Thanks for the great feedback :D

Shower didn't drain properly, woken up by staff at 3am to confirm who was in the room and which person had overstayed.

Thanks for your feedback. We're so sorry about that! We have a maintenance manager so I've sent him to look in the shower in your room asap. If you let reception know in future, they will be happy to move you to a new room if there's a problem.

Amazing location in shoreditch, friendly staff, nice rooms. Nothing to complain about! Would definitely stay there again.

Wow. Such a lovely review! Thanks! Come back soooon! :D

Young people working here with little sense of what it menas to act professional. They made a misstake once with our key and then acted very badly. Sweet people but not very smart.

• 2nd Sep 2014
  • Sweden

Thanks for your feedback. It's good to know. I have had a word with our receptionists and we have a new front of house manager, so hopefully this won't be happening again :)

The staff greeting was very poor. They were chatting amongst themselves and did not even say hello until they approached the main desk computer, which they said was undergoing a software update and would be very slow. Check-in took absolutely ages, and despite there being multiple members of staff on-site, service for purchases not even needing computer assistance was ridiculously slow. The hostel itself however was fine, clean and the bathroom was always stocked with toilet paper and soap.

• 29th Aug 2014
  • Romania

Thanks for your feedback. We're sorry you didn't have a great welcome :( not cool! The good news is: we've got a new front of house manager and 2 new PCs for receptions which should smooth out any customer service issues and make check in waaay quicker. We did have a new computer system last month and there were some technical teething problems (technology!) but it's all sorted now. Hopefully we'll see you again soon and you see the improvements for yourself :)

Pretty bumping hostel, awesome friendly staff. Facility's are a bit aged and shabby but that's how cheap anything works in London! If you want a clean palace for this price travel east or drop some serious pounds. Don't expect to sleep much, if at all. Party on the street in front of the hostel had locals thinking it was a bumping bar. A bit far from the centre of London but great for shore ditch. Don't stay here if your a princess.

Thanks for your review. We are glad you had a good time. I'll pass on your kind words to the staff! We are working on improving our hostel all the time - there's going to be a big new basement with a bigger kitchen and chillout area next year. :) Hopefully we'll see you again so you can check it out!

very good atmosphere and very nice people in and around the hostel!!

• 26th Aug 2014
  • Switzerland

Thanks so much! Hopefully see you again soon :)

Great location. One of the better hostels I've stayed in. The beds are comfortable and clean and there is good security. Even though it is located right beside a bar, I had a comfortable sleep each night. If I'm in the area again, I'll be returning to this hostel.

• 23rd Aug 2014

Great news! Can't wait to have you back :D

A rating of 20% I'm being generous, after travelling for 3 months this was by far the worst hostel I've ever stayed in! If it's mice, then this is your place! Oh and did I mention the service... Do yourself a big favour and avoid at all costs!

• 21st Aug 2014

Thanks for your feedback - it helps us to improve. We're so sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We're working on the mouse issue with a new company and have a new Front of House Manager too, so things are on the up! Hopefully you'll give us another try in the future :)

we had a great time, met nice and awesome people. the rooms are clean and the beds okay. anyway, sometimes the water didn't work while you were taking a shower but restartet only one or two minutes later. i missed a common room to hang out in the evening, because the ktichen was not very cosy. never the less I liked the hostel and can recommend it!

• 20th Aug 2014

Thanks for your feedback. We are glad you liked our hostel! :) We are working with Thames Water to increase our water pipe so we can get even more water into the building asap. If you come back next year, the kitchen will have been expanded and there will be a chillout area too. It's going to be huge - twice the current size! Should be awesome :)

The room I stayed in had shower and toilet, but when I arrived the toilet was dirty and without toilet paper; it took about 3 days to someone come and clean it. I had my food stolen from the fridge twice (in 2 weeks), once I forgot a shirt in the dinning room and it was returned, but the last day I forgot a some trousers and couldn't get it back - I called the hostel and was told there was nothing in the lost and founds...

This place has a great location to party hard but that also dictates the type of person staying here. It's nothing but a backpacker geto. Not only international but a large amount of no hoper young British drug dealers, facilitating an income from organising drugs for all the backpackers. The staff are all backpackers and seem to wonder freely between rooms. One morning I had a smelly dreadlocked guy walk in on me in shower, 10min later some British girl stralls into room without knocking.

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We have a 100% no drugs policy & we wouldn't have it any other way. If this type of behaviour ever occurs, I would suggest you inform reception immediately so they can contact the police as this is completely unacceptable. If you also inform reception about broken locks, we have a maintenance manager on site who we can send to help you immediately. We do have many backpackers (from UK & abroad) but we also have business people, students & tourists too :)

A lot of things about this hostel really bothered me, but mostly the staff and the mice. The staff were unprofessional, unwilling to help, and put the blame on us for their mice infestation. They would only clean our bathroom on occasion or when they felt like it. The security at this hostel is so poor that they let anyone walk in at anytime... I was woken up by someone trying to steal my bag hanging on the edge of my bed. Cute looking hostel though.

• 18th Aug 2014

Thanks for the feedback. We're currently putting our receptionists through extra customer service training with our new Front of House Manager to make sure guests get the best experience. We're also working with a new pest control company to improve the mouse situation. We ask all guests to keep absolutely no food in rooms to help us with this. Bathrooms are cleaned daily. All rooms have keycard locks & there's a security door for upstairs. We're getting a further security door for downstairs :)

A little bit noisy hostel but I had solve the problem putting my ear plugs. Less than 10 minutes walk Old street tube station and many pubs in the area. 30 pounds per night during the weekend (£210 per week) anyway, don't forget we are in London...

• 17th Aug 2014

Ah thanks for your kind words! :) Yes, Shoreditch can be a bit noisy at night due to all the bars, but we think you handled the situation very well ;) We hope to see you again soon!

Two words: mice infestation. There were nice crawling around our hostel room for the entire 9 days I stayed at the dictionary. And the staff did nothing but put a sign on the door saying : do not bring food in here. No traps were set and nothing else was done. Bathrooms were never cleaned. The sink in our room was clogged the entire time I was there and the toilets were discussing. Thanks for not caring dictionary. Never will return.

Thanks for the feedback. It's really useful for us. We're working with a new pest control firm & this is helping the mouse issue. Sadly, it's a problem for many businesses in East London, but we're getting there! I can confirm that all our bathrooms are cleaned from top to bottom every day. Maybe as you were in a 14-bed dorm, some of your fellow guests got to it before you once it had been cleaned ;) In future, if you report any issues to our staff at the time, they'll be happy to move you asap

Not much sleep, but that was what I expected... My room and the toilet were clean, great people in the room and all around... The location is perfect!! Good times! I would definitely stay in The Dictionary again.

So glad you had a great time with us. Thanks for taking the time to let us know :)