The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

At the beginning I really liked this place: cool design, nice room, big kitchenette. But then, in the evening we've discovered mouse in out room! It ate crackers from bag, by the way. And in general it was absolutely disgusting. Couldn't really sleep for the whole night listening to its sounds.

Amazing staff, really friendly and helpful. All in all everything was clean BUT unfortunately we couldn't sleep at all because there were two MICE in our room coming out at night. We left the light on and talked but they weren't really impressed by that and we heard them under our beds all night long.

The hostel was very clean. Well my room was, a friend of mine was staying in another room where there were supposedly rats and bed bugs, but my room was fine. The cleaning staff did an excellent job every day. Breakfast was included which is always a plus when you're backpacking. Atmosphere is great if you want to meet people. However a group of about 8 who were staying one night came back, set up speakers and invited everyone into our room at 4am. But that's hostels for you.

Offer to the guests a microwave in the kitchen sounds a really good ideia.

• 4th Jan 2014

Mice! Woke up more than once to see/hear mice running around on the dorm floor, eating crumbs, getting into people's bags etc. I heard multiple complaints while I was there (to the staff), and I've read multiple reviews complaining about them so it's not a recent thing. The hostel has been aware of the problem for a while but I got the impression they weren't really taking it seriously. Other than that the hostel was ok in terms of atmosphere, people etc. Dorm bathrooms are a bit gross.

• 3rd Jan 2014

It is a good place where to spend some days in London. It is 15 minutes far from the tube station, which is Liverpool Street. The atmosphere is very nice. The breakfast is included, it is simple but satisfactory. It is clean and safe. Since I've been in such horrible hostels before, I reccomend this one, it is a good one.

• 31st Dec 2013

I loved everything...I stayed for 5 days and it was good.

Staff not really friend, but the hostel is very good

A grand place with helpful staff. I didn't actually end-up sleeping there and checked out several hours late as a result but the staff totally understood. Very cool people. Would definitely stay there again.

• 28th Dec 2013

It was al about waht i know in a hostel but in 3 days i did't a hot shower cause it eas always cold...i hope that you could fix this problem

• 27th Dec 2013

Be careful of bedbugs...

• 27th Dec 2013

love the kitchen!

This is a very nice hostel. The free internet is not really good and you can use only in the reception. Otherwise you have to pay 1 pound/day to use the internet in your room. The breakfast is good and for free.

Well, first of all, the room was all dirty and also the bathrooms, I think that there were people living there, so everything was a mess. The breakfast was awful (the bread was very very hard to eat) but what can you expect for a low budget. I wouldn't stay there again neither recommend it, I spend there 3 nights.

• 21st Dec 2013
  • Mexico

Good hostel but at saturday there was a big party in the bar. Maybe for some people a problem but not for me.

• 21st Dec 2013
  • Belgium

Stayed for 2 nights in the 14 bed dorm and slept 4 hours combined. I'm unsure if it's common of the hostel but the other people in the room were the most inconsiderate I've come across. Lights on at 7am and rustling through their bags for hours. The other bathroom in the dorm wasn't useable and judging from the lock on the door has been that way for a while. Considering I went out both nights this hostel was clean and ok for that, but it would have been great to actually sleep when I was in bed.

The Dictionary is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at. Great atmosphere & all the necessary amenities. The only issues I came across were the lack of a lounge & the size of the bathrooms. Everything else was pretty much flawless, but with character. THANKS GUYS.

Really good stay. I woke up late and got locked out my room whilst in the shower but the guy behind reception was really nice about it and let me back in! I missed breakfast but that was free. Also for any inexperienced hostelers like myself being a padlock for locker under bed and a towel for shower. And sorry to my fellow roomies who I never met bit probably woke up at 3 in the morning.

• 19th Dec 2013

I stayed in 12 bedroom and there was only one shower for all of us. Internet free only at reception (1 pound to have it in the room). Great staff and good breakfast.

Good hostel to party ! The staff is also very nice