The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Rooms were clean and fairly comfortable, the breakfast was good but very crowded. What the hostel was lacking was any rooms to lounge in, even more limited in the morning. All in all, just an ok hostel.

Thank you for the review! :)

Cool place to stay!

• 7th Nov 2013
  • Spain

Yay! Thank you :)

This hostel was so much fun! Luke (the cutey) was amazing and helped us out so much and made sure we felt at home.The hostel was so clean and comfortable and the atmosphere was great. Shoreditch is definitely an up and coming area for young people and great for nightlife. Will definitely stay again, so much fun!!

• 7th Nov 2013

Haha, you made Luke's day! :) Thank you so much for the great review!

Hey guys I really enjoyed my time there! Really cool hostel in a nice area with loads of bars and restaurants. The reception as a really cool design nice kitchen and the facilities are all clean. The staff was very helpful and nice to me. You could sit with them by the reception and have a chat. I stayed there for one night (on my birthday) and the owner was really nice to me and gave sweets and choclate for my birthday and made me feel very welcomed! I'm definetly coming back!

Amazing! We are so happy to hear that :) Come back and visit soon!

The staff were amazing and helpful. Beds were comfortable and the location was fantastic for me. The bagel free breakfast yummy and I like that it was very social. Fun place to be. Can't complain for 15£ a nice could be worse.

The Dictionary was cool because the staff were friendly, and the bar was awesome with free wifi and amazing cocktails. The bar staff were great. Service at the cafe was a bit slow. The showers are weird and often lukewarm, & they still have a lot of decorating to do. Check in is at 2pm which is kind of late and they are unflexible about it so there's a huge line to check in and the bag room cant fit everyone's stuff. Location was cool but it was a bit of a trek to get to Old St station.

• 31st Oct 2013

We stayed at The Dictionary for only one night. We stayed in a 16-person room, which was our own fault for the room being a little crowded. However, the shower flooded, the beds were awful, and reception played music all night that I could hear thumping through the wall. The staff were wonderful, though, so they get an A+ on that level.

Safe, clean, easy backpackers. As a rule any backpackers that is committed to white sheets is good. Only minor issues was funny smelling bathrooms, humidity in dorm room post showers, and although i don't mind having to shell over a pound a day for decent internet i do expect it to be decent. But in all great stay.

I stayed here for five nights and loved it - shoreditch is an excellent location and the hostel is close to public transport. Staff are helpful and the bar makes it really easy to meet people. Bathroom could be a little cleaner but the 8 bed dorm i stayed in was really spacious and I will definitely stay here next time in London. Cheers for the free breakfast too!

The cleanliness of this hostel is awful. I´ve spent four days there and when I arrived the soap dispensers in the showers were all empty and four days later they were still empty. When I arrived there were a lot of dirty toilet paper behind the shower´s door and four days later it was still there. I could check the didn´t change the linen of the bed beside me when the man who was there gone and other man came to this bed, they just put in order the blanket and the pilow........

GREAT hostel. Great facilities. Really nice bar man downstairs. (The one with the beard) would defo stay at this hostel again!!

• 26th Oct 2013

Very good hostel, in the heart of East London; the area is always lively and there are many pubs and clubs to enjoy by night. Near Old Street tube station and Liverpool Street Station, so it is really easy to go everywhere in London from the hostel. Breakfast is really good (loved bagels and muesli!) Don't worry if the courtyard seems noisy by night: at midnight it will be closed, but if you are an early sleeper better bring some ear plugs!

I'm appalled

I stayed here a year ago and gave the place high marks. I was excited to return hearing the renovation now had a kitchen. The kitchen is nice, but.. I wonder what the genius behind this renovation was thinking making a LOUD smoking & drinking area right next to a 16 bed dorm?!! A prison cell filled so small I had no space to open my suitcase, that shower is a joke, it's not proper ventilated either. This is now a place where teenagers go to get wasted. I won't book here again.

Hostel ok! Apart from the fact there was no hot water in rooms ensuite. Not the end of the world but when i told staff they just looked at me like i was mad. Then the following week i was there i sat up in my bed to discover mice rummaging through my room mates stuff. Again i told staff and it didnt seem to register and their reply was "yeh they get in to the smallest gaps". Shower drains in the shared shower rooms always blocked with hair!

• 21st Oct 2013

The breakfast was great! The room I stayed in was really noisy and had no ventilation but otherwise everything else about the hostel was great. Location was amazing!

Fantastic hostel, excellent location, great vibe, great people. I stayed here on and off for about 2 weeks, good kitchen and common area facilities. My only quarm and area for improvement from giving it say a 10/10 would be that one of the 16 bed dorms (A) gets rather hot at night, but i understand the hostel is undergoing improvements at the moment so i'm sure this will be ironed out!

Really to loud (earplugs = a must); bad internet (you pay for wi-fi in rooms and it is really not that good, in some rooms it is actually that bad that you can have major problems uploading pictures ect); in mixed dorm for 8 ppl: i dont know if the shower could be any smaller; no working/computer room; small kitchen considering how many people is staying there; really no freebies(just linen and free wi-fi in tiny lobby and bar); buy a lock, the power adaptor in the store just next to hostel!

Great staff, very friendly and helpful. Poor breakfast.

• 19th Oct 2013

Would be good to have some more power supply by bedd to charge phones overnight. But overall 10/10

• 19th Oct 2013

Thank you! See you next time :)

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » last »