The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Good hostel. Had to book at the last minute since my train to Paris was cancelled due to a railway strike.

Thanks for the great review. Hope you managed to make it to Paris!

Shower didnt work properly for a week and the bathroom wasnt exactly clean

Hi there. Thanks for leaving a review. Sorry to hear you had issues with the shower :/ If it is reported to the reception, we can usually fix these issues same day as we have a full time maintenance manager on site. The bathrooms are all cleaned daily, but as is the case with shared dorms, as soon as someone uses the bathroom after cleaning, it can look as if it hasn't been done at all. Rest assured that we clean the hostel from top to bottom from 10am til 2pm every day. :) All the best!

- Didn't expect to buy a padlock for a locker. First time I saw that in a Hostel. - Location is really good. - Staff is nice. - Found some stains on my bed sheets, and that was in the afternoon, right after ''cleaning'' and my check in. - I knew London wasn't going to be cheap, but still... - 1 toilet in a room for 16 people. You have around 30 secs to take a shower (limited water). - There were actually more than 16 people sleeping in the 16 bed dorm. - People play Foosball at 3 AM.

Hey. Thanks for your review :) In all honesty, it is quite common to use padlocks for lockers. You don't have to buy our padlocks, you're welcome use your own too. Sorry about the sheets! They're professionally laundered but we'll always happily change them if you encounter an issue. You're right, the en-suite has 2 showers & a toilet & there's 2 more toilets just outside the dorm door. Glad you enjoyed the location so much and found the staff to be so friendly :) Hope to see you again soon! :)

Great people. Really fun experience.

• 16th Jun 2015

Enough said! Thanks for the great review :)

I did not like this hostel very much. It was pretty expensive, first of all. They said they had free wifi, but you had to pay to get a password and then that paid internet was not even good. There was one girl at the counter that was really nice, but the rest of the people there were not nice or helpful. Breakfast was good.

Solid hostel experience. Both the staff at the front desk and in the kitchen were lovely!

The smaller, more expensive rooms are positioned next to the common area, which makes them noisy. Also the ventilation is poor and rooms stuffy, providing a fan would help. Pillows could do with replacing too.

Thanks for your comments! You're right, we have 2x6 bed dorms by the courtyard. Sorry you found it noisy :/ We do shut the courtyard @11pm to try & prevent disturbance. We have 48 other beds in small dorms throughout the hostel so you can always request to be swapped room if you're unhappy & we'll do our best to help ;) Pillows were all replaced in Dec but I'll check it out today. We do have fans which are now out in the rooms. We were caught out by the unseasonably good weather for UK, sorry!!

Loved the people, culture, and location! Wasn't a big fan of the facilities and cleanliness. Overall, a very positive experience though.

Thanks for your comments. Glad you loved so much of us! :) Sorry to hear you mention cleanliness and facilities :/ We do clean every day from 10-2 but you can always request a top up if something's happened in the room or we've missed a spot. Just ask at reception ;) Happy you had such a positive experience overall though.

The WiFi needs to be strongly improved. Paying 1 pound should provide decent WiFi but it is still quite slow (even whe hotel wasn't packed) and it disconnects often.

Good hostel in a very trendy area. Beds were comfy and clean, while the bathroom could have been cleaner (to be fair this could have been due to the people in the room rather than the hostel). The power points in the bedroom were all next to one bed, so impossible to charge anything while someone was sleeping there. You also need to pay £1 for 24 hours of wifi in the rooms, and this kept on dropping out constantly.

I arrived 30 min before check in, song wasn't really acknowledged until check in time, to which I checked in 30 min after the time as staff had a que to check people in, I then went to my allocated room to find none of the beds were actually clean and I was to wait another hr for this to be done, no atmosphere in hostel staff not happy or nice - especially when your traveling you want some good energy. Location was good but that's it.

Overall, I had a pretty good time at The Dictionary. The location in Shoreditch was amazing, surrounded by plenty of bars, urban eateries, amazing street art, and trendy shops. The staff were very helpful and answered all of my questions thoroughly. Sociable guests! The rooms were okay, comfortable bed, really small shower. As mentioned in other reviews, the WiFi was essentially non-functioning, which was a bit frustrating. If you know it doesn't work, why still charge for premium access?

Hey! :) I do take your point about wifi. In all honesty it works well 90% of the time, it's just the 10% (mostly eves) when everyone logs on at once that's problematic. We are upgrading the network though, there's just a longer lead time on this than for domestic internet. Until then, we're giving out the paid wifi free if you let us know of a problem with the free one. Glad to hear you enjoyed the rest of your stay so much! Hope you'll come back soon & see all the improvements we're making!! :)

loved this place! in a great location and has a good croud of people. the rooms are also big and comfortable

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » last »