The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Mice chewed through our purses and bags including ones that didn't have food. The staff was not friendly nor helpful. Many people were up late at night drunk and shouting profanity. Overall a disgusting and unwelcoming environment.

• 26th Apr 2014

We're sorry to hear about the problems you experienced during your stay with us. We now have a pest control company working to deal with the mice, and they are in the process of proofing our entire building to stop them coming back. Customer service is very important to us, so we will be sure to bring your concerns up with our staff, and will continue to do our best to manage the challenging situations that sometimes present themselves after a night out. Apologies again for the inconvenience.

Loved the hostel's location the best, and we were given a bottle of bubbly as it was our honeymoon! Only thing that let it down was some of my make up was pinched from my private room. Also we saw a mouse in our room and I got bitten by bed bugs! The linnin was clean but I think the mattress needed a clean.

• 25th Apr 2014

Thank you for your positive review - especially given the negative experiences you had. We are so sorry about the extra inhabitants of your room, and are working hard with pest control companies to keep these issues under control. We have found that the bed bugs have been living in the exposed brick walls, so are in the process of having these sealed. We are also very sorry about your makeup! We sincerely hope you had a wonderful honeymoon, and wish you all the best in your married life!

I only stayed at the Dictionary for two days but my overall impression is quite positive. The staff, who were clearly busy and understaffed at times, did everything with professionalism, including kicking ass and taking names when it was time to be quiet or stop puking in the rooms (not me). Breakfast was exactly what was necessary for a long day of tourism, and the lockers were sufficient. Being in the trendy Shoreditch neighborhood might attract younger clientele.

Thanks for your review, and we're happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We will hope to see you again in the future.

I wouldn't mind more plugs in a big room and it was too warm there during the night, better ventilation might help..

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, and we appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention. We are looking into ways we can improve ventilation in our rooms, especially as summer approaches, and have already purchased fans for some of the rooms. We are continuing to assess this situation, and will also consider the potential for additional plugs in our larger rooms.

This was an amazing hostel. We had so much fun here and didn't want to leave. It's really big and holds a lot of people, but it was rare that you saw all of them. All the staff were super helpful and fun to talk to, all the other travellers we're just as fun. The neighbourhood was very up and coming, we walked everywhere from here, can be a little tricky with the tube. We would definitely go back and highly recommend to any other travellers!

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us, and we're glad you had a good time. We will look forward to seeing you again!

I had an amazing time at The Dictionary. Shoreditch is such a cool neighbourhood; there was always plenty to do. The hostel itself was clean and well maintained, and there is a free breakfast every morning (simple, coffee, tea, cereal, bagels). The staff seemed kind of distant and did their own thing a lot of the time, but they were helpful when asked. There's a courtyard with a very social environment, where I met tons of awesome fellow travellers. Would definitely recommend!

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay here. We pride ourselves on having friendly, outgoing and engaging staff, so will take this opportunity to remind them how important this is at all times. We appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

The Hostel is great overall. We were staying in a 12 beds room, the room is clean and quite. The only downside is the bar downstairs playing the music too loud 12 o'clock.

Thank you for your review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. In order to manage the level of noise in our rooms, we have installed additional insulation around the rooms closest to the bar. We are also continuing to monitor noise levels and to work closely with Translate to ensure that our guests are able to enjoy a good night's sleep in any of our rooms.

pleasant stay, I will visit again...........

• 17th Apr 2014
  • Czech Republic

We look forward to it!

Great location, awesome staff, perfect sized hostel. Will go back again!

The bar and cafe right next door are amazing! Overall, it's a bit expensive for the larger dorm rooms, but a good deal for London, especially in such an up and coming location. It would be nice to have the kitchen open for a longer period in the morning.

• 16th Apr 2014

Great to stay in for a couple nights, though the street noises are very loud. No extras, WIFI is too slow to use, breakfast not really good, but for free. Cool staff, hipster-like and friendly. Really cute place where you can meet the coolest peolpe!

• 15th Apr 2014

very clean and friendly, definitely would recommend it to others!

• 14th Apr 2014

Thank you, spread the word! :)

It is an average hostel, located in a noisy area full of bars and clubs. The hostel itself is twisting, the rooms are small but equiped with everything you need. The sheets were fresh. But there are also a couple of points that need an improvement: The water pressure in the shower is a joke, but instead of fixing it they ask you to shower within a certain period to have sufficient pressure and warm water. The breakfast is poor compared to middle european standard.

• 11th Apr 2014
  • Austria

AWESOME HOSTEL

• 11th Apr 2014

YOU ROCK! :)

Mice in rooms, some staff great, some staff arrogant uncaring and lazy, great location and a good price

Sorry to hear that some of your experience with our staff wasn't to notch. We pride ourselves on our customer service and will definitely look into your comments. We hope that you will give us a shot next time you are in London!

The hostel rooms were good, so were the staff. However, the bathrooms and toilets were smelly, with water shortage and had to be shared between males and females!

was this a hostel or a hotel? anyway, highly reccommended

• 10th Apr 2014

Wooooooop! Thank you so much :) See you next time!

My mistake of booking this hostel because I was 'too old' was allowed as long as I would not complain about noisey residents. When I arrived I was checked in my very helpful young man who took my bag to the room and made sure I had a low bunk. Although the FREE WiFi was slow I did not need to pay extra to read my emails. The quiet, 4 bed shared room was clean, comfortable and complete with ensuite bathroom. A FREE Conental Breakfast in the clean kitchen downstairs was fine. LOCATION GREAT

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay! :) Thank you so much for the great review!

Good location close to Liverpool Street station and Brick Lane, but unfortunately a series of small events made it a less than ideal experience, the worst being BED BUGS (not unexpected for London), a staff that I suspect knew but did nothing, and a stolen towel. Staff is friendly enough but did little more than they had to; on top of that they seemed slightly unorganised, for instance forgoting to tell me that I had to switch rooms with the result that some of my stuff got lost.

• 9th Apr 2014
  • Denmark

Wonderful hostel, great location in a really hip neighbourhood. Very clean and spacious rooms and an excellent breakfast included, probably the best hostelbreakfast I have ever had. There is also a good bar as part of the hostel. I am definitely coming back to stay there next time I am in London!

• 9th Apr 2014