The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

The area and actual hostel seem nice enough and if you're wanting to stay in Shoreditch you should be prepared for noise. However, there is no excuse for mice/rodents in the dorm rooms. When I brought this up at the front desk there was incredible indifference shown, as if this was such a normal occurrence that no one cared any more. Not acceptable when you're paying 25 pounds for a bed.

Thanks for your feedback, and we're sorry about your experience with the mice. We now have a pest control company working to ensure that the building is rodent-proof. Please be assured that we do take this issue seriously, and apologise that our staff's response did not reflect this.

It was kept well clean but the courtyard was in the middle of all of the rooms and smoking was allowed, which got into the rooms. As a non-smoker this was not enjoyable. Also I felt that anyone could have walked into the building and straight to the rooms and never would have been stopped. Our door was always propped open and I didn't feel safe. Also I was uncomfortable with some of the guests and their rude behavior, however I realize the Hostel has no ability to stop this.

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, and we're sorry you didn't feel comfortable during your stay. We have now stopped people from smoking in the courtyard, so there is no smoke in the rooms anymore. Our staff do keep an eye on who is entering and exiting the building, and we also have CCTV cameras in the hostel as well as a security code on the door to the upstairs rooms. We hope you will come back and try us again next time you are in London.

Great weekend away. Staff all very helpful and the place was clean. Couldn't complain about a thing!

• 24th May 2014

Fantastic news! We're glad you had such a good time!

Good hostel but really noisy, you feel like you´re in one of the bars below. Otherwise pretty good.

Thanks for your feedback. We're now working closely with Translate to reduce the noise that comes through to our rooms.

As our first hostel experience, we weren't sure what to expect. The staff was not very helpful and overall we were not satusfied with the hostel. We found that many of the guests were not backpackers, but were semi-perminant residents saving money to rent a flat. The area is very far away from central London and very noisy when trying to sleep. If you are into partying until 3-4am on a Tuesday then this is the place for you. Showers and toilets were very small and dirty. Would not stay again.

Thank you for your review, and we're sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your first hostel experience. Our staff are usually very friendly and outgoing, so will be sure to speak to them about maintaining the high standard of service we expect. The same goes for our cleaners. We are currently working with Translate to reduce the amount of noise that comes through to our rooms from the bar, as it is important to us that our guests are able to get a good night's sleep.

Great location, nice hostel, friendly staff. Would recommend.

• 22nd May 2014

Thanks for your feedback! :)

Good hostel for our last minute booking. Didn't have a problem with the noise or bed bugs as mentioned in one review. Room was stuffy and had to pick a time to get a hot shower outside of the "peak" showering hours. Plenty of bars around the hostel but a good 45+minute walk to get to the attractions and river walk. Shower and toilet stalls are tiny. The free wifi only works in the check in area which is tiny and has only a few seats. Otherwise you must pay to use wifi in your rooms.

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We appreciate your feedback and are working on the ventilation and water issues. We have just upgraded our WiFi service, although the free WiFi area remains the same size.

The stay at the dictionary was awesome. It is a but far off from tourist spots but close to the train station and some cool bars. There's a kitchen and plenty if grocery stores bear by. They no longer serve free breakfast even though the website mentions it. The guest and staff made the stay at this hostel amazing though. I had a great time.

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We have updated the website now too.

Would be great with better wifi.

We have just upgraded our WiFi service - we hope you'll come back soon and check it out!

My stay at this hostel was not that great. The staff service was good. A bit of inconvinience that breakfast is not included. Food i bought from the bar was tasty and Very yummy. Cant complain. Only very upsetting thing was that my bed had bed bugs. The hostel allowed me to change rooms but they waited for me to go and ask eventhough they were awarded of the situation as one of my room makes was bitten by the bugs very badly. They should have send someone to leave a note.

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us, and we're very sorry for your negative experience with the bed bugs. We have now brought in a pest control company to completely eradicate the bugs, and are in the process of sealing the brick walls where we found them to be living.

Super nice staff!! :) Really good location, central and walking distance to many wellknown places in London. Clean and well Worth the Money. I recommend a stay.

• 18th May 2014
  • Sweden

Thanks for your review. We think our staff are super nice too :)

In the morning NO WATER IN THE SHOWER!!! Too noisy, the room smell so bad. The cleaner was in the room less than 2 minutes. You need to have cash when you come because you can't pay the door card (5£) with card The only thing good is the location, shoreditch is fantastic!

• 16th May 2014
  • Spain

Thanks for your review, and we're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We have contacted Thames water, and are working with them to increase the mains supply of water to our building so that all of our guests can have water for their shower. We are also working closely with Translate to insulate the rooms around the bar, to minimise the amount of noise that comes through to our rooms. Cleanliness is very important to us, so we will be sure to remind our cleaners about the high standard we expect.

Very nice hostel, but very loud at night.

Thanks for your feedback. We're glad you liked the hostel and we're working on reducing the noise!

perfect location for the vibrant east london, nice rooms and beds, but, i found in the mornings when i woke up brown/red spots on the sheet where i was sleeping, like a bleeding, didn't pay attention to it, couldn't find the cause, but then, after few days i found myself covered of bedbug bites, my room was the P, still itchy marks all over me, nothing that will make you die but still very annoying!!. when booked in said by reception breakfast from 8 to 10. but no breakfast at all available

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We were just in the process of transitioning to not providing breakfast at the time of your stay, and so we apologise for you getting caught up in that. We're also very sorry to hear about your experience with bedbugs. We have brought in a pest control company to ensure that we are bug free, and are also sealing the brick walls where we found them to be living.

Really enjoyed my stay here, cool staff that are young helpful and friendly. Would 100% stay here again and recommend it to anyone reading this!!

Yay!! Thanks for your review, and we hope we will see you again soon!

The staff were lovely and very helpful. The hostel is in a nice location full of cool restaurants and bars. The complimentary breakfast bagels were delicious. I stayed in a shared dorm and had some trouble sleeping because of a scratching noise coming from the walls and other people constantly running in and out of the room all night turning the lights on and off and generally being very drunk and loud. It would be an ok place to stay if you don't expect to get much sleep.

• 7th May 2014

Thanks for your review. We're glad you generally enjoyed your stay, and apologise for the difficulties you had in getting to sleep.

I have to say I was very let down by this hostel after hearing good things about it. For starters, the rooms are superbly hot. there is almost no air flow, and the very little there is comes from the courtyard directly outside of the rooms where people are allowed to smoke, hence, the room ends up smelling like smoke during the day. At night, we had to keep the door to our room propped open because it was so warm. The kitchen is too small, and not enough seating room. Decent location, however.

Thanks for providing us with your feedback. We are aware of the ventilation issue in the rooms and are working on solutions to that. In the meantime, we have banned smoking in the courtyard so there is no smoke in any of the rooms. We are also increasing the size of the kitchen area, in order to provide more of a communal area for guests.

The location is excellent and the facilities are good. The only thing that wasn't great was the fact that they moved us from one room to another one on our second night, and the second dorm was full of very loud, rude people, and so it was not clean because of them. Also you could hear the music from the bar next door, so not much rest there. It'd be much better if it had a place where to chill like a livingroom. I guess it's very good if you are on a budget and not looking for a place to rest.

• 6th May 2014
  • Argentina

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay. We're sorry about the inconvenience of having to move for the second night, and for the problems you encountered in your second room. We are working with Translate to minimise the impact of noise from the bar to our guests, and are also looking to increase the size of our kitchen to provide more of a communal area. We hope you will try us again next time you are in London.

I loved this hostile. Location is excellent if you want to feel the East London vibe. The facilities are spatially organized in a way that made it easy to meet people- free breakfast, kitchen, courtyard, roof-top terrace, and bomb coffee shop/ bar/ restaurant attached. Staff were also really cool. The free maps are also some of the best I've gotten from a hostile. Highly recommended.

• 4th May 2014

Thanks for your feedback, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay :)

The hostel was fine. I've stayed in far better and far worse. The rooms had poor ventilation so by the time the morning came it was hot and humid in there. It doesn't really seem to cater to travelers. Instead most of the occupants are semi-permanent residents who only cared getting jobs and getting their own flats. Oh, and it was the only time I've stayed in a hostel where something was stolen from me. I'm going to miss that cream cheese.

Sorry to hear about your missing cream cheese. We are looking into the ventilation situation as, with summer coming on, it will (hopefully) only get even warmer. Thanks for the feedback!