The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Staff very disorganised and not helpful at all. Internet wasn't working. Toilets and shower were very unclean, mouldy, most of the time blocked and unhygienic. Rooms as well - dirty floors, dust everywhere There were mice in the room!!!! I can believe this hostel is still open. I would never stay in this hostel again and I would not recommend anyone to stay there.

• 8th Jul 2014
  • Czech Republic

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with this feedback, and we're very sorry for the negative experience you had during your stay. Cleanliness is very important to us, so we will definitely be speaking to the cleaners (and other staff) about your concerns. We do have a pest control company working to get rid of the mice, but this can take a bit of time. Our internet is now back up and running - we were in a transition to a new provider during your stay & experienced some technical glitches.

Honestly, I hated this place. Things that were bad: 1. A mouse (or other sort of rodent) chewed a hole in my suitcase to eat some almonds I had forgotten were in there. 2. It was really dirty. 3. The free wifi only worked in the tiny, cramped, really uncomfortable lobby downstairs. The paid wifi was "broken" while I was there. 4. The showers barely worked. One morning there was no water whatsoever. Another, only freezing cold water. 5. Seemingly apathetic staff who didn't know anything.

Thanks for taking the time to review us and we apologise for the difficulties you experienced. We do have a pest control company working to ensure that there are no mice in the building, but this can take a bit of time. Cleanliness is very important to us, so we will be speaking to our cleaners (and other staff) about your concerns with their performance. We have identified a problem with getting enough water to the building from the mains supply and are working on that. The WiFi is now fixed.

the bathroom inside the room is blocked and dirty, which spoiled my whole experience there, and also cause flood when people take a shower, which make my bag soaking wet. The social area in the middle of 3 rooms on ground floor bring in all the noise, and sometimes, smoke. The toilet outside the rooms also smelly. However, kitchen and the whole atmosphere is ok.

• 8th Jul 2014
  • Vietnam

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, and we're sorry for the difficulties you experienced. Our maintenance manager and cleaners have been working in all of the bathrooms to ensure the drains are clear, and the hostel is clean. Smoking is not permitted in the courtyard, so we apologise if people were breaking that rule. We hope we will get the chance to see you again next time you're in London.

The Dictionary Hostel is wonderfully located in Shoreditch, with close access to nightlife and shopping. The service quality provided by the staff varied very much, but Emma was wonderful. Upon arrival we found the room open, untidy, and newly painted (but no sign of where this paint job had been performed in the room). In addition, the noice level was terrible some nights, with people using the outside seating areas as a party pad at 4 in the morning. Not possible to bring food into room.

Thanks for your feedback, and we're sorry you had some negative experiences during your stay. We are working on reducing the noise level in the rooms, as we appreciate that our guests come here for a good night's sleep!

Decent place to stay. Common room is just the bar but you could be in there without buying anything during the day. My mattress was just a piece of foam which was disappointing.

Thanks for taking the time to review us - we appreciate your feedback :)

This hostel was not what I was expecting. It is dirty and not well kept. There are mice and the facilities (bathroom, kitchen, rooms) are dirty and do not get cleaned. The staff at the desk are okay, but when I asked a question they would tell me to ask someone else because they did not know. I wouldn't be that disappointed if it wasn't so expensive.

• 4th Jul 2014

Thanks for your review, and we're sorry for the negative impression you gained while you were here. We have cleaning staff who work every day to keep the hostel clean, so we will be sure to speak to them about your observations during your stay. We also have a pest control company working to keep the mice out of the building. Unfortunately at the moment we do have a lot of new staff, but we will speak to everyone to ensure that they are always doing their best to be friendly and helpful.

This hostel is disgusting and staff isn't friendly!

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Both cleanliness and customer service are very important to us, so we will be sure to speak to all of our staff about your concerns, to ensure that they are meeting the high expectations we have for our hostel.

Good option to scape from the touristic area and feel the London way of life in the heart of Shoreditch. Great staffs; comfortable and clean rooms.

Thanks for your great review, and we hope we'll see you again soon!

It's a cute little place in uber-fashionable Shoreditch. The staff were a bit "meh", not really making any great effort to make sure we felt at home. The room was VERY bare bones and got super-hot in the night, really could have used air-con or just an open window. The facilities of a bar, a cafe and a common room were really good. I'd probably go again but maybe get a smaller room next time!

• 2nd Jul 2014

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Our staff are usually very outgoing and friendly so we will speak to them about your experience. We are aware of how hot the rooms are getting at times, and are working on increasing the ventilation. We will hope to see you again next time you're in London!

My first hostel experience, I wasn't sure what to expect but it was better than I was expecting and would recommend the hostel. I didn't mind staying here although definitely couldn't have stayed any longer than I did because the room I was staying in was not properly ventilated and was unbearably hot. Plus most of the showers in the building were not working properly.

• 1st Jul 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us: we appreciate the feedback. With summer in full swing we recognise that our rooms do get hot sometimes, and are actively looking for ways to improve ventilation. We apologise for the lack of showers during your stay - our new maintenance manager has managed to sort them out and we are now back to full operation.

This hostel has mice everywhere we saw a couple around the rooms. Also we booked as a 12 and they split us up in different rooms which slightly ruined the stay. We weren't the only people this happened too, some turned up and didn't have a bed to sleep in. Other than that the hostel itself would have been really nice if it weren't for the mice and the booking problem. Also they do refund you if you want to leave earlier than expected, as long as you give them 24 hours notice.

• 1st Jul 2014

Thanks for your feedback, and we apologise for the difficulties you experienced. We do have a pest control company actively working to keep the mice out of the building, but their efforts will take a little time to work. We do try to keep groups together in the same room, but unfortunately sometimes this is not possible when we are particularly busy. Our apologies again.

Great location, but the hostel itself made it a little difficult to meet people as it really had no proper common area.

Thanks for your feedback and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We are working on expanding our kitchen to provide more of a communal area for our guests to hang out.

At times the washing powder or towels had run out of stock behind the counter due to the hostel being booked to capacity. The place must have been made of lead walls, as the wifi was slow, and 3G reception was very weak. However the staff were lovely, down-to-earth chill people and the rooms both private and common were very clean. Good value for money. Not badly situated but it's best to walk to Liverpool St station for the tube.

Thanks for your review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We are certainly going to have to increase our supply of towels and laundry powder over the summer months! We have just upgraded our WiFi service, to improve its speed, but the mobile coverage remains a mystery!

I chose this hostel because I thought it would have a youthful and friendly vibe- but the atmosphere was flat on a Monday night. The staff were friendly and the bed was comfortable- However, for the expensive price, breakfast should have been included. The interior is decorated with a quirky design and there is a common room downstairs. There was a rumour going round that a mouse lived in my room so I slept on one of the top bunks!

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay, and we're sorry the atmosphere was a little flat while you were here. We now have a pest control company ensuring that our bottom bunks are just as safe as our top ones too :)

The dirtiest hostel I have ever stayed in. At least four mice in our room, and they're obviously used to people, because they weren't scared off when we were around. Bed bugs were also an issue. The staff were Very unhelpful with both of these issues, and in general. Many of the cleaners are backpackers looking for a free stay, which I think is why it is so dirty, particularly the bathrooms. Very noisy rooms, hard to get a good night's sleep unless you're a deep sleeper.

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with this feedback, and we apologise for the problems you experienced during your stay. We have a pest control company actively working to get rid of our mice and bedbug issues, and have also been sealing up the places we think they have been living. We do have backpackers working as staff, but expect the same high standards of them as we would of anyone else, so we will speak to them about your concerns.

I will recommend Dictionary Hostel to my Friends. Its great place for short stay in London.

• 30th Jun 2014
  • Poland

Thanks for the review and the recommendation! We look forward to seeing you (and your friends!) soon!

Pleasant stay for one night, helpful staff and friendly atmosphere. More hooks in the tiny shower room and toilet outside U room would make them easier and more pleasant to use. Also it would be helpful to have a small shelf on the wall near the bunk within reach of electric socket, for phone charging.

Thanks for your review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We will pass your feedback on to our maintenance manager, and he'll see what he can do!

a lot of fun! Great people, but there is a bar downstairs, which is great, but the walls are not very thick, so you can hear the music very loud, that sucks!

• 29th Jun 2014

Thanks for your review, and we're glad you had a good time. We are in the process of thickening up our walls (with insulation) so the music stays in the bar a little more!

I was staying on a Sunday night before a job interview the next day. Booked into the hostel the night before so I wouldn't have to get up too early and get some sleep. Unfortunately I only got 3 hours sleep due to the noise, the stuffy room, drunk people. The staff were pretty unhelpful and seemed wrapped up in their own social lives, bitching and swearing constantly. The showers weren't working and were cold. Bathroom was dirty. I have been to over 50 hostels and expect simplicity, bad service

• 29th Jun 2014

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay, and we apologise for the negative impression you received. We are working on multiple measures to reduce the noise that gets into our rooms, to improve ventilation, and to increase our water supply. We will speak to our staff about your concerns, as that is not at all the level of service we expect for our guests. Apologies again.

The place was clean, a bit out of the way, the staff a lot if the time hardly looked up while you waited to be helped, not a great traveller vibe

Thanks for your feedback. We will talk to our staff about your concerns.