The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Although the price might be unbeatable for its location, The Dictionary was actually quite a distance from the nearest tube station. And for the cheapest 10-bed dorm, you get 4 electrical sockets at the disposal of 10 guests. Please bring your own socket expander if you need battery juice. You've been warned!

Thank you for the review. We have been working on adding more sockets into our rooms. Please feel free to ask at reception to get your stuff charged free of charge!

Great location for Vietnamese food. Near late night spots, but still relatively quiet. Tube stops about 5 min walk away.

Yum! We love the Vietnamese food around here. You'll have to come back and try some more spots next time you are in London :) Thank you for the review.

My first but definitely not last visit in The Dictionary Hostel. Place is very cozy and staff is nice. Would recommend this place for sure.

• 28th Feb 2014
  • Finland

This hostel is pretty cool. It's really chilled and easily accessible Everything was good - except for the noise. It's very noisy at night but that's not an issue of the hostels. That's just life. The courtyard at night can be loud too but is monitored and 'closed' at 10pm The staff are good - a few who were a bit unfriendly but mostly they were great. I would stay here again - plus the breakfast is such a bonus.

Thank you for the great review! Your feedback is always appreciated. Hope to see you next time :)

Excellent staff, particularly the canadian girl on reception, good vibe all round however facilities were pretty basic. no mirrors with powerpoints, so had to dry hair in corridor, showers didnt have enough room to get dressed in, and was shocked to find that bunk beds were directly next to each other with not even a rail to seperate from stranger sleeping in essentially the same bed as you. Felt like the 14 person room should have been 10 person to avoid this as there simply wasnt enough space

Stayed at The Dictionary for 5 nights and had a wonderful time! The staff members were so helpful with helping plan trips in London and everyone was super friendly! Great location for a night out; Shoreditch has plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from. Translate, The Dictionary's bar, was fantastic as well. Perfect atmosphere! I will most definitely be coming back!

• 21st Feb 2014

Awesome review, thank you! Hope to see you back at The Dictionary soon :)

check in at 14.00 - checkout at 10.00. Why? Light, noise, the cleaner get in the room at 11.00, switch on the light and starts vacuuming! Why? Impossible to sleep there. You have to pay for towels and for padlock.

• 21st Feb 2014

This hostel is cool and there is lots going on in the neighbourhood, but I didn't love the atmosphere. The common room is in the middle of a couple of the dorms so if you want to go to bed, you can stil hear everyone outside. You have to pay for the wifi which didn't even work. The fire alarm went off 6 times at 4 am so I didn't get any sleep. The free breakfast is good though!

Apologies the issues you had with your stay! We appreciate the feedback as it only helps us get better. Sorry for the fire alarm, we seemed to have someone who thought pushing the break glass would be a funny joke!

Very warm welcome from the front staff! (blonde girl, nose ring) everything clean, and great facilities!

• 18th Feb 2014

What a fantastic place to stay in trendy Shoreditch. Better atmosphere than the hotel that I stayed at the previous night for almost 10X the price. OK, I shared a large dorm instead of having my own room but that was fine.

• Scotland

Reception impossible, very rude

• 18th Feb 2014

Brilliant location, friendly staff and great atmosphere. Translate needs a happy hour

• 16th Feb 2014

The only thing I missed were computers with internet,but off course I know everyone has a smartphone thing, but still...

• 14th Feb 2014

Good point! We are looking at our options for computers. Thank you for the review :)

The best thing about this hostel is its location. Shoreditch rocks! Close to so many pubs, clubs, markets. You wont feel like leaving this area! Staff is great! The vibe is great! Made some nice friends out there! Rooms are ok, shower not so hot sometimes. Bring your laptop or make sure your mobile is working well because there are no computers in hand.

An amazing stay in North East London! Met so many people in this backpacker!

great hostel. Most of the people over there are not teenagers crazy for parties but young adults respectful of others and looking for a position in London. You feel that difference. We did party (a bit crazily) and it was great too. I shared a 12 mixed room and didn't have any problem. I even made great friends there!

• 8th Feb 2014
  • Belgium

Awesome comments! Thank you :) We do our best to provide a good time and a good nights sleep!

Heloo was nice to stay there..

• 7th Feb 2014
  • Romania

I stayed here in October and loved it but this time I was pretty disappointed. There are mice in the rooms which ate through mine and another girls bags looking for food. The rooms and bathrooms are not adequately cleaned - a girl in my room saw a cleaner sweeping food under the beds. Also reception should assign beds because the cleaners have no idea which beds people are staying in so you would come back to find your bed made up and your clothes and other belongings thrown on the floor.

Apologies for the issues you had during your stay! We work hard to keep the building clean and we definitely have taken this up with the team. I hope you will give us another try next time! :)

A hike from the tube but close to everything else. I like the connected bar next to/a part of the hostel. Rooms are pretty average for a hostel. Great deck outside!

Thank you for taking the time to review us! We appreciate the feedback :)

Good location, friendly staff. Only one bathroom for 14 people but there are others outside the room. The door to room A is really squeaky!! Otherwise its great - we'd stay again.

Thank you! We have gone and fixed that darn squeaky door :)