The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

This hostel was fine. No common room, wifi only worked in the lobby. Music from the bar pumped into the wee hours of the morning, but it did it's job.

• 27th Jun 2014

Thanks for your feedback. We're in the process of expanding our kitchen, and insulating our rooms (further) against noise from the bar downstairs. Our WiFi service has also just been upgraded to get faster speeds of internet.

Good location, good atmosphere with a good bar.

• 27th Jun 2014
  • Spain

Thanks - we're glad you had a good time!

Bed bugs and mice. They refunded me the rest of my stay though which was nice. Staff could be more organzed when people are checking in though.

• 26th Jun 2014

The hostel was in a good location and had an eclectic assortment of individuals. I appreciated that there was not too much noise at night and people went to sleep early at least where I was staying. The downside was that it was extremely hot at night and the hostel did smell a bit. I also would have liked to see more of a community throughout the hostel.

• 23rd Jun 2014

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback, and we're glad that you were able to get a good night's sleep and meet some of our lovely guests and staff. We are working on increasing the ventilation to our rooms, as it is starting to get a bit too warm for comfort at night!

Amazing place to stay aslong as your not looking for a full nights sleep.. bars are left; right and below also guest are walking around all night but if your look8ng for a party atmosphere, great staff, cheap stay then this place is great! (I unfortunately came for a course and couldnt sleep both night, my own fault for choosing a hostel)

• 23rd Jun 2014

Thanks for your review, and we're sorry you had trouble sleeping. Being centred in Shoreditch we, of course, are a bit surrounded by parties, but we also want to be a good option for those looking for a decent sleep! We are working with Translate to insulate our rooms against noise from their bar and are also looking into ways we can reduce noise to the rooms from the road. We hope you will give us another try next time!

More plugs. Do not concentrate the plugs at one bed where it supposed to be 12 mix dorm. Other than that is all good.

• 22nd Jun 2014
  • Malaysia

Thanks for your feedback - we're working on it!

The dirtiest hostel I have ever stayed in. At least four mice in our room, and they're obviously used to people, because they weren't scared off when we were around. Bed bugs were also a big issue. The staff were very unhelpful with these two issues, and in general. Many of the cleaners are backpackers looking for a free stay which I think is why it is so dirty, particularly the bathrooms. Difficult to get a good night's sleep unless you're a heavy sleeper, very noisy rooms.

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with this feedback, and we apologise for the problems you experienced during your stay. We have a pest control company actively working to get rid of our mice and bedbug issues, and have also been sealing up the places we think they have been living. We do have backpackers working as staff, but expect the same high standards of them as we would of anyone else, so we will speak to them about your concerns.

If you are looking for a quiet stay then this is not the place! However, if you're seeking to meet people and a friendly, upbeat vibe - then don't hesitate and book now. Super nice and helpful staff plus a great location equals a great place to stay.

Thanks for your feedback. We're glad you had a good time! :)

Great place to stay, meet a whole lot of great people from all over the world. When I head back to east london ill be staying here!

Thanks for the great review - we'll be looking forward to seeing you next time!

Hostel is in a good location but if you want something closer to the centre of London, I would probably look at something else. The vibe was great, especially when returning from a night out it was great to see people still up. Noise wasn't a problem at all, we had a dorm room looking onto the main road and managed to sleep well both nights. Good value for money.

Thanks for your review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay :)

Poor showers, two of them were out of order out of 3. Extremely noisy.

• 20th Jun 2014

Thanks for your review. Our showers are now fixed, and we're working on increasing the water supply to the building. We are also looking into a variety of ways we can make the rooms quieter.

Very noisy from the street and the hot water will frequently run out even outside of the "most used" times. Staff are friendly but reception can be a bit slack. Good location though, expensive, but London just is.

Thanks for your feedback. We are working on increasing our water and decreasing our noise. We'll talk to reception about picking up the pace too :)

Not enough fresh air for 12 people, it was like a sauna. Only cold water if indeed. Start to clean the room at 10.00 that is too early

• Switzerland

Thanks for the feedback. We are working on the ventilation and water issues and hope to have them both working properly soon!

Everything was fine and nice but I'd rather say that it's food for out-going and cheerful person, Not the person who prefer calm and quiet because this street is the street of the youth and very vibrant place

Thanks for your review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. :)

A fun and excellently located hostel but loud. So loud. And dirty. A guy vomited in the sink of the only toilet on the floor and it wasn't cleaned or unblocked for 4 days. There are mouse traps in the rooms but they don't tell you not to take food in. I heard tell of bed bugs after we left. Seems to be a lot of confusion over bed allocations, people consistently coming into reception saying there were no beds in the room they'd just checked into. The bar/coffee shop attached are excellent.

Thanks for taking the time to review you stay, and we apologise for the issues you experienced. Cleanliness is very important to us, so we will be sure to speak to our cleaners about your concerns. We do have a pest control company that is working to deal with all of the small unwanted guests we seem to have attracted lately.

Worst hostel I've ever stayed in. How can you not have as many key cards as beds?? I didn't get a key and had to ask someone at reception to come with me every time I wanted to get into my room. Also incredibly dirty kitchen/fridges. Cleaning lady came into the dorm room at 10 am (!!!) made the most noise humanly possible, turned on the light and started to hoover (!!!) the place. Wow, just wow. Never ever stay there!!!

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We have now sourced some more key cards, and apologise for the inconvenience of not having one for you during your stay. We will speak to our cleaners about your other concerns.

Staff was cool, mainly Matt, who does an outstanding job. My room was quite light after sunrise (4 am during summer time, it may be a problem for some. Amazing location, cool environment! I recommend it.

Thanks for your review and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. Our long, sunny (at the moment) days are pretty good for making the most of all the sightseeing there is to do in London! We think Matt's pretty cool too. :)

12Beds in a small room with just one window at the small end of the room. Only one shower and one toilet for 12 people in small space. No hot water in 4 days and many time almost no water at all after 30 seconds of showering. Unconfortable beds with 10cm thin matresses and everytime you move it is noisy. I was not happy at al!!!

• Switzerland

Thanks for your review and we're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We are working on the ventilation, noise and water issues and hope you will give us another try when we have got them all back up and running properly.

NO hot water, sometimes no water at all. air in the 12beddorm was terrible, only 1 window, beds a catastrophy. they came in before 10am both saturday and sunday to hoover! whyyy! not going back or only in a smaller room, where i was last year and it was good.

• Switzerland

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay. We are working on our water and ventilation issues, and apologise for the inconvenience to you during this trip. We hope you will come back and try us again next time you are in London.

When my friends and I arrived at your hostel, our beddings weren't clean. We had to ask to get them done. Being back home in Germany I soon noticed a lot of red itching dots on my skin and went to the doctor. In the event, these dots are bedbug-bites! My Friend who stayed with me in room W has got some of them too. You soon should do something against it otherwise other guests get bitten too and won't come back to your hostel ever. I will never check int again or recommend the hostel.

• 18th Jun 2014

Thanks for your review, and we're very sorry for the problems you experienced during your stay. We do have a pest control company now working in the building to ensure we are bedbug-free, and have also been sealing the exposed brick walls where we found them to be living. Apologies again.