The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

I thought that the lady on reception was friendly and helpful. The facilities were adequate and the other guests were well mannered and friendly. I enjoyed my stay there and I would certainly stay there again if the price were right.

Thanks for your review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We will hope to see you again soon!

Less then impressed with the dictionary hostel, all the reviews on hostelworld about this place we're really positive so my friends and I were excited to stay here, but all of those positive reviews must have been on crack because this place sucked. We stayed in a room with 14 people and i've never felt so crapped. t The bathroom is tiny with one shower and toilet. They had no wifi for an entire day and shoreditch is far as away from central london and it would take 40 minutes to get there

Thanks for taking the time to review us, and we're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay.

Internet was broken the whole day. Staff was alright, some were friendly some were not. Average stay

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay. We pride ourselves on our customer service so appreciate your feedback and will speak to our staff about the need to maintain a high standard at all times. We have also recently upgraded our WiFi service so that all of our guests can get access to the internet. We hope you will give us another try next time you are in London

I was there with a friend of mine and we slept in the female dormitory. Everything was OK : nice staff, clean rooms and bathrooms too. The location was perfect of course, very convenient ! I won't hesitate to recommend this accommodation to people around me ! Thank you ! :-)

• 30th Apr 2014

Thank you so much for your great review! We really appreciate it and are glad you had such a good time. We hope we will get to see you again soon!

The hostel warned about the lack of hot water in the showers. But they never warned about the lack of cold water as well. The WC:s were often full of paper and it was impossible to flush sometimes.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, and for bringing these issues to our attention. We have identified that there was insufficient water pressure coming from the street to deal with the demand from the hostel and are in the process of upgrading our mains water. It is likely that the toilet paper issue is also related to the water pressure, with people covering up what the toilet failed to flush away, so we are hopeful that our plumbing work will solve both problems.

I had a great time at the Dictionary! Location is amazing and the atmosphere was very social and fun!

Thanks for taking the time to review us, and we're glad you had an enjoyable stay. We will hope to see you again some time soon!

A great hostel! The staff is friendly and helpful and can explain easily many things about the city. There are a lot of pubs and bars nearby, so its kinda of noisy at night. But if you like the nightlife, this is the place to be. The bad thing is that the place is not very clean... but I definetely recommend it.

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback, and we're glad you enjoyed getting to see our city. We regularly have new cleaning staff starting with us, but are working very hard to ensure that everyone is trained to the high standard we expect for our hostel.

I wasn't expecting much because I've stayed in some pretty bad hostels, but Dictionary was quite nice. It seemed the staff worked hard to keep it clean and make sure guests were happy.

• 28th Apr 2014

We're glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and appreciate your feedback. Hope to see you again next time you're in London!

Excellent hostel for a first time traveller, staff were very helpful and friendly. Great atmosphere all rooms/bathrooms were cleaned everyday. Close to all public transport/brick lane. Highly reccomended!

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, and we're glad you had such a good time. We will hope to see you again soon!

Mice chewed through our purses and bags including ones that didn't have food. The staff was not friendly nor helpful. Many people were up late at night drunk and shouting profanity. Overall a disgusting and unwelcoming environment.

• 26th Apr 2014

We're sorry to hear about the problems you experienced during your stay with us. We now have a pest control company working to deal with the mice, and they are in the process of proofing our entire building to stop them coming back. Customer service is very important to us, so we will be sure to bring your concerns up with our staff, and will continue to do our best to manage the challenging situations that sometimes present themselves after a night out. Apologies again for the inconvenience.

Loved the hostel's location the best, and we were given a bottle of bubbly as it was our honeymoon! Only thing that let it down was some of my make up was pinched from my private room. Also we saw a mouse in our room and I got bitten by bed bugs! The linnin was clean but I think the mattress needed a clean.

• 25th Apr 2014

Thank you for your positive review - especially given the negative experiences you had. We are so sorry about the extra inhabitants of your room, and are working hard with pest control companies to keep these issues under control. We have found that the bed bugs have been living in the exposed brick walls, so are in the process of having these sealed. We are also very sorry about your makeup! We sincerely hope you had a wonderful honeymoon, and wish you all the best in your married life!

I only stayed at the Dictionary for two days but my overall impression is quite positive. The staff, who were clearly busy and understaffed at times, did everything with professionalism, including kicking ass and taking names when it was time to be quiet or stop puking in the rooms (not me). Breakfast was exactly what was necessary for a long day of tourism, and the lockers were sufficient. Being in the trendy Shoreditch neighborhood might attract younger clientele.

Thanks for your review, and we're happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We will hope to see you again in the future.

I wouldn't mind more plugs in a big room and it was too warm there during the night, better ventilation might help..

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, and we appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention. We are looking into ways we can improve ventilation in our rooms, especially as summer approaches, and have already purchased fans for some of the rooms. We are continuing to assess this situation, and will also consider the potential for additional plugs in our larger rooms.

This was an amazing hostel. We had so much fun here and didn't want to leave. It's really big and holds a lot of people, but it was rare that you saw all of them. All the staff were super helpful and fun to talk to, all the other travellers we're just as fun. The neighbourhood was very up and coming, we walked everywhere from here, can be a little tricky with the tube. We would definitely go back and highly recommend to any other travellers!

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us, and we're glad you had a good time. We will look forward to seeing you again!

I had an amazing time at The Dictionary. Shoreditch is such a cool neighbourhood; there was always plenty to do. The hostel itself was clean and well maintained, and there is a free breakfast every morning (simple, coffee, tea, cereal, bagels). The staff seemed kind of distant and did their own thing a lot of the time, but they were helpful when asked. There's a courtyard with a very social environment, where I met tons of awesome fellow travellers. Would definitely recommend!

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay here. We pride ourselves on having friendly, outgoing and engaging staff, so will take this opportunity to remind them how important this is at all times. We appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

The Hostel is great overall. We were staying in a 12 beds room, the room is clean and quite. The only downside is the bar downstairs playing the music too loud 12 o'clock.

Thank you for your review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. In order to manage the level of noise in our rooms, we have installed additional insulation around the rooms closest to the bar. We are also continuing to monitor noise levels and to work closely with Translate to ensure that our guests are able to enjoy a good night's sleep in any of our rooms.

pleasant stay, I will visit again...........

• 17th Apr 2014
  • Czech Republic

We look forward to it!

Great location, awesome staff, perfect sized hostel. Will go back again!

The bar and cafe right next door are amazing! Overall, it's a bit expensive for the larger dorm rooms, but a good deal for London, especially in such an up and coming location. It would be nice to have the kitchen open for a longer period in the morning.

• 16th Apr 2014

Great to stay in for a couple nights, though the street noises are very loud. No extras, WIFI is too slow to use, breakfast not really good, but for free. Cool staff, hipster-like and friendly. Really cute place where you can meet the coolest peolpe!

• 15th Apr 2014