The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

The stay at the dictionary was awesome. It is a but far off from tourist spots but close to the train station and some cool bars. There's a kitchen and plenty if grocery stores bear by. They no longer serve free breakfast even though the website mentions it. The guest and staff made the stay at this hostel amazing though. I had a great time.

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We have updated the website now too.

Would be great with better wifi.

We have just upgraded our WiFi service - we hope you'll come back soon and check it out!

My stay at this hostel was not that great. The staff service was good. A bit of inconvinience that breakfast is not included. Food i bought from the bar was tasty and Very yummy. Cant complain. Only very upsetting thing was that my bed had bed bugs. The hostel allowed me to change rooms but they waited for me to go and ask eventhough they were awarded of the situation as one of my room makes was bitten by the bugs very badly. They should have send someone to leave a note.

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us, and we're very sorry for your negative experience with the bed bugs. We have now brought in a pest control company to completely eradicate the bugs, and are in the process of sealing the brick walls where we found them to be living.

Super nice staff!! :) Really good location, central and walking distance to many wellknown places in London. Clean and well Worth the Money. I recommend a stay.

• 18th May 2014
  • Sweden

Thanks for your review. We think our staff are super nice too :)

In the morning NO WATER IN THE SHOWER!!! Too noisy, the room smell so bad. The cleaner was in the room less than 2 minutes. You need to have cash when you come because you can't pay the door card (5£) with card The only thing good is the location, shoreditch is fantastic!

• 16th May 2014
  • Spain

Thanks for your review, and we're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We have contacted Thames water, and are working with them to increase the mains supply of water to our building so that all of our guests can have water for their shower. We are also working closely with Translate to insulate the rooms around the bar, to minimise the amount of noise that comes through to our rooms. Cleanliness is very important to us, so we will be sure to remind our cleaners about the high standard we expect.

Very nice hostel, but very loud at night.

Thanks for your feedback. We're glad you liked the hostel and we're working on reducing the noise!

perfect location for the vibrant east london, nice rooms and beds, but, i found in the mornings when i woke up brown/red spots on the sheet where i was sleeping, like a bleeding, didn't pay attention to it, couldn't find the cause, but then, after few days i found myself covered of bedbug bites, my room was the P, still itchy marks all over me, nothing that will make you die but still very annoying!!. when booked in said by reception breakfast from 8 to 10. but no breakfast at all available

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We were just in the process of transitioning to not providing breakfast at the time of your stay, and so we apologise for you getting caught up in that. We're also very sorry to hear about your experience with bedbugs. We have brought in a pest control company to ensure that we are bug free, and are also sealing the brick walls where we found them to be living.

Really enjoyed my stay here, cool staff that are young helpful and friendly. Would 100% stay here again and recommend it to anyone reading this!!

Yay!! Thanks for your review, and we hope we will see you again soon!

The staff were lovely and very helpful. The hostel is in a nice location full of cool restaurants and bars. The complimentary breakfast bagels were delicious. I stayed in a shared dorm and had some trouble sleeping because of a scratching noise coming from the walls and other people constantly running in and out of the room all night turning the lights on and off and generally being very drunk and loud. It would be an ok place to stay if you don't expect to get much sleep.

• 7th May 2014

Thanks for your review. We're glad you generally enjoyed your stay, and apologise for the difficulties you had in getting to sleep.

I have to say I was very let down by this hostel after hearing good things about it. For starters, the rooms are superbly hot. there is almost no air flow, and the very little there is comes from the courtyard directly outside of the rooms where people are allowed to smoke, hence, the room ends up smelling like smoke during the day. At night, we had to keep the door to our room propped open because it was so warm. The kitchen is too small, and not enough seating room. Decent location, however.

Thanks for providing us with your feedback. We are aware of the ventilation issue in the rooms and are working on solutions to that. In the meantime, we have banned smoking in the courtyard so there is no smoke in any of the rooms. We are also increasing the size of the kitchen area, in order to provide more of a communal area for guests.

The location is excellent and the facilities are good. The only thing that wasn't great was the fact that they moved us from one room to another one on our second night, and the second dorm was full of very loud, rude people, and so it was not clean because of them. Also you could hear the music from the bar next door, so not much rest there. It'd be much better if it had a place where to chill like a livingroom. I guess it's very good if you are on a budget and not looking for a place to rest.

• 6th May 2014
  • Argentina

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay. We're sorry about the inconvenience of having to move for the second night, and for the problems you encountered in your second room. We are working with Translate to minimise the impact of noise from the bar to our guests, and are also looking to increase the size of our kitchen to provide more of a communal area. We hope you will try us again next time you are in London.

I loved this hostile. Location is excellent if you want to feel the East London vibe. The facilities are spatially organized in a way that made it easy to meet people- free breakfast, kitchen, courtyard, roof-top terrace, and bomb coffee shop/ bar/ restaurant attached. Staff were also really cool. The free maps are also some of the best I've gotten from a hostile. Highly recommended.

• 4th May 2014

Thanks for your feedback, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay :)

The hostel was fine. I've stayed in far better and far worse. The rooms had poor ventilation so by the time the morning came it was hot and humid in there. It doesn't really seem to cater to travelers. Instead most of the occupants are semi-permanent residents who only cared getting jobs and getting their own flats. Oh, and it was the only time I've stayed in a hostel where something was stolen from me. I'm going to miss that cream cheese.

Sorry to hear about your missing cream cheese. We are looking into the ventilation situation as, with summer coming on, it will (hopefully) only get even warmer. Thanks for the feedback!

I thought that the lady on reception was friendly and helpful. The facilities were adequate and the other guests were well mannered and friendly. I enjoyed my stay there and I would certainly stay there again if the price were right.

Thanks for your review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We will hope to see you again soon!

Less then impressed with the dictionary hostel, all the reviews on hostelworld about this place we're really positive so my friends and I were excited to stay here, but all of those positive reviews must have been on crack because this place sucked. We stayed in a room with 14 people and i've never felt so crapped. t The bathroom is tiny with one shower and toilet. They had no wifi for an entire day and shoreditch is far as away from central london and it would take 40 minutes to get there

Thanks for taking the time to review us, and we're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay.

Internet was broken the whole day. Staff was alright, some were friendly some were not. Average stay

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay. We pride ourselves on our customer service so appreciate your feedback and will speak to our staff about the need to maintain a high standard at all times. We have also recently upgraded our WiFi service so that all of our guests can get access to the internet. We hope you will give us another try next time you are in London

I was there with a friend of mine and we slept in the female dormitory. Everything was OK : nice staff, clean rooms and bathrooms too. The location was perfect of course, very convenient ! I won't hesitate to recommend this accommodation to people around me ! Thank you ! :-)

• 30th Apr 2014

Thank you so much for your great review! We really appreciate it and are glad you had such a good time. We hope we will get to see you again soon!

The hostel warned about the lack of hot water in the showers. But they never warned about the lack of cold water as well. The WC:s were often full of paper and it was impossible to flush sometimes.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, and for bringing these issues to our attention. We have identified that there was insufficient water pressure coming from the street to deal with the demand from the hostel and are in the process of upgrading our mains water. It is likely that the toilet paper issue is also related to the water pressure, with people covering up what the toilet failed to flush away, so we are hopeful that our plumbing work will solve both problems.

I had a great time at the Dictionary! Location is amazing and the atmosphere was very social and fun!

Thanks for taking the time to review us, and we're glad you had an enjoyable stay. We will hope to see you again some time soon!

A great hostel! The staff is friendly and helpful and can explain easily many things about the city. There are a lot of pubs and bars nearby, so its kinda of noisy at night. But if you like the nightlife, this is the place to be. The bad thing is that the place is not very clean... but I definetely recommend it.

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback, and we're glad you enjoyed getting to see our city. We regularly have new cleaning staff starting with us, but are working very hard to ensure that everyone is trained to the high standard we expect for our hostel.