The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Booked this hostel and as we were approaching were a bit iffy about the couches at the front and the people drinking alcohol thought it would be bodgy. We booked a 10 bed mixed dorm but got upgraded to a 6bed and luckily only other female was there in the morning. Room was absolutely spotless our room had an ensuite. Fresh paint and even soap in the shower. Location is in the heart of trendy, vintage shoreditch (east London) a very cool place. Go to cafe 1001 in brick lane it's a nightclub

+ Design & atmosphere good. Good value for money. Nice breakfast provided. - Free WIFI is only at reception and kitchen (WIFI all access is 1 additional pound a day). Street side really noisy (pubs on the other side of the street, sirens each and every night (ambulance HQ nearby?). Cages for luggage are without locks, so bring your own or buy for 5 pounds at reception. Room's shower was out of order, and staff didn't really seem intent to fix it (for 5 days).

• 22nd Aug 2013
  • Hungary

It's in East London, about 30 mins from Central London w/ public transportation (so maybe not IDEAL for just seeing the basics if you're only in London for a day or two). Shoreditch is sort of a youthful (well, hipster) area, and it seems like a lot is always going on there. Plenty of nightlife...which could be great, but if you're hoping to get up early, it is very difficult to sleep. That was the biggest problem with this hostel...otherwise, it was a nice place in a safe-seeming area.

• 22nd Aug 2013

I really enjoyed this hostel. Very friendly atmosphere, clean, really good and typical breakfast, good wifi signal in the reception. Well located, close to the Liverpool Station. The staffs also helps you with tips if you need. I definitely would come back to this hostel.

Close to Old Street bars. They had recently painted, so the fumes are still there. There is an interior courtyard where a lot of people gather to smoke. I'm a non-smoker, so the fumes and cigarette smoke weren't a pleasant combination. My room was on busy Kingsland Road, and with no air conditioning, we left the windows open all night--lots of loud sirens. Also, shower smelled like pee and didn't have enough water pressure to get shampoo out. Ran out of TP in the middle of the night.

We enjoyed our stay at the Dictionary -- it is still under renovations but it does not get in the way of anything. Once all renovations are completed, it will be a lovely place! Hostel was very clean and location was EXCELLENT! Within walking distance to Tube, and bus stop right outside the entrance. Would definitely stay here again.

• 19th Aug 2013

It was the first time for me to travel / stay in a hostel and the Dictionary was a really good place. The staff was really nice. *thumps up* The hostel is being renovated, but it had not troubled me.

Hey guys! I stayed 8 nights last August in Shoredicht and I found it quite good. The noise for the works were very insignificant and there weren´t big groups or screaming teenagers. I reckon that when it is gonna finish it will be much better but the quality right now is aceptable. Just I reccomend improve the facilities at the living room, and maybe the staff sould be nicer and talkative. to sum up: cheap and in the city...what else you need

• 18th Aug 2013
  • Spain

The (only) great thing about this hostel is the great location right in the heart of the vibrant Hoxton. Plenty of bars and clubs to go to just located outside the hostel. But the facilities are very poor... One shower for 12 of us that wasn't working amazingly well. No proper bathroom, we had to go to the tiny loo to use the minuscule tap to brush our teeth!

The hostel is fine. The problem is that during the night there is too much noise because of he bars downnstairs. The windows stay open and you can hear everthing. also appart from keeping your bag safe under the bed using a lock there is no place in the bed above to live your personal things like mobile phone or earings

• 16th Aug 2013
  • Spain

The night I arrived the bed I had been allocated was dirty and had evidently been slept in without the bedding being changed. I had no choice but to sleep in my sleeping bag. Also there was no locker to leave your property in during the day.

• 16th Aug 2013

Great hostel to meet people.

• 15th Aug 2013

If you want a peaceful/silent hostel don't go therw. But if you want to know interesting people and stay at london's best neighborhood, that is the place!

The Hostel itself will be great when decorating is complete - I would def recommend it to people. The staff whilst friendly when I checked in did not explain where things were (other than my room) I had to find the kitchen, only found 1 toilet outside of my room and never worked out how to get onto the outdoor patio which is signposted up past Room O - would have been great to have all this explained to me when I checked in :)

It's close to Overground/Underground subway station and just besides the bus station. You can reach city center around 20-30 mins. Overall our stay was good and we enjoyed our stay.

I had a pleasant stay at The Dictionary, the staff were welcoming, friendly and considerate. Even though they're in the middle of refurbishing some parts of the hostel the overall atmosphere was relaxed, well controlled and contemporary. Thanks guys!

Thank you! Come back and see us again soon :)

The free wifi signal does not reall work. The Superfy works pretty well though.

Need more toilets! Didn't find it to be very social either but the location was awesome and the staff were friendly.

Thank you for the comments. Feedback is always good and we are looking for ways to get bigger and better :)

The staff are very friendly and helpful. Okay breakfast is included. The hostel is a bit of a walk from the center of London, but a 10 minute walk gets you to the tube. The downfall of this hostel was the noise outside - even being jet lagged, I couldn't sleep because of all of the noise. I would recommend this hostel for young, hipster types.

Lovely hostel that's still being renovated. Good breakfast, nice dorms and a nice location in hipster Shoreditch. Mattrass was a bit on the hard side and the bass was dropped repeatedly in the next door club, but for the price and service - excellent hostel.

• 7th Aug 2013