The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Really cool place, very nice ambiance. Staff was attentive enough and all the facilities were clean and proper. The next-door coffee shop and bar were great too.

Thanks for the great review! :)

Great, fun atmosphere.

Thanks! We're glad you had a good time!

A clean and friendly hostel, right at the modern heart of london. Close to all areas with pubs and bars and an excellent own bar next door. Definitely a recommendation to stay if you are in london for a few days.

Thanks for the review - we appreciate it! :)

Not far from the center of London, very doable by walking, bus, or tube. Nice to have lockers under bed. Major rodent problem. Roommate started screaming in the middle of the night because of a mouse and I found droppings in the bag I had stored under the bed, so I didn't even use the lockers. Also, the room was incredibly hot and sunny, and there was no curtain to block the light.

A very nice place to stay in London, beds are very comfortable and very very clean. The hostel is near Liverpool Street tube/rail station (10 min. walking), to get Circle and Central lines to go to the city center. In 20mins from London City Airport with the DLR and Overground. Shoderitch is a multicultural district, if you love art and alternative style of life you have to stay at The Dictionary hostel in London. Breakfast is not included but you get discount at the Translator Pub (next door).

• 9th Jun 2014
  • Switzerland

Thanks for your review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay! :)

There were mice, so grab a top bunk. And be insistent with the staff. Though nice enough, they weren't the most helpful and didn't always seem to care to help. The bar next door was a wonderful resource, however, so I suggest you go there for questions.

• 9th Jun 2014

Thanks for your review - we appreciate the feedback. We have employed a pest control company to deal with the mice, so hopefully now our bottom bunks are equally as appealing as the top! We pride ourselves on having friendly, helpful and outgoing staff, so we will be sure to speak to them, to ensure they are always providing the level of service we expect.

Have cockroach on my pillow when I woke up in the morning Good location

Eek! A cockroach is not a good surprise to wake up to! Thanks for the feedback!

AFTER paying they told us we had to split up.. 4 for us in one room, the other one alone in a room. There was no discussion possible and the girl ("Kirsty"?) was very rude to us. The last day 2 beds in our room came available, but again nothing possible. Finally the beds were stil empty and she could move to our room. WHY didn't they tell us this before?! The worst of all: 2 girls came home with BEDBUGS! This was mentioned before on this site but nothing changed! PLEASE AVOID THIS HOSTEL!

Thank you for your feedback and we're sorry for the inconvenience. We have a pest control company working in the building to solve our bedbug problem and are also sealing the brick walls where we have found the bugs to be living. Although we do try to keep our guests together as much as possible, when we are busy it is sometimes necessary for groups to be split in order for everyone to have a bed. We will remind all of our staff of the high standards we expect for our customer service.

I requested the quietest room in the hostel. The hostel is located above a club that plays bass music until 3:30am, it was so loud my head was actually vibrating and it was impossible to sleep. The sound of the generator was also very loud, the shower cold, evidence of mice and the door lock faulty. They wouldn't relocate me and when I said I won't be staying for the second night they refused to refund me (& rude and condescending). After years of hostelling, this was the worst nights sleep

Thank you for providing us with this feedback, and we're sorry for the negative experience you had during your stay. We are working closely with Translate to reduce the amount of noise that comes through to our rooms from the bar, as we recognise that a good night's sleep is important for our guests. We also have a pest control company working to ensure that the building is mouse-proof, and our maintenance manager is checking all of the locks. We're sorry again for the problems you had here.

Staff and location great, 10 minute walk from underground, trendy east end, and bars and food places, bar next door was amazing for chilling out and had pretty good WiFi. Staff weren't entirely on top of the room cleanliness, some sheets and stuff went unnoticed, but that's also because some of the people staying forgot to put their washing in the cages provided!

Thanks for your review, and we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We will pass on your reminder to our cleaners to ensure they are keeping an eagle eye on everything that needs to be done to keep the hostel up to scratch!

Buses were very convenient. The shower made a weird noise and woke me up both nights.

Thanks for your review. We are having some issues with our water supply, so that might be what was causing the noise - we're looking into it! :)

As others have mentioned there were mice and bed bugs in the room. It was very noisy and it seemed a lot of the people in the hostel were living/working there and not very considerate. I and others I know had labeled food stolen from the kitchen too. Only things I liked were the rooftop terrace and the closeness to the tube station.

Thanks for your feedback, and we're very sorry about the negative experiences you had with us during your stay. We have employed pest control people to solve our mouse and bed bug problems, and they are working very hard on that. We are also looking into ways we can reduce the amount of noise that comes through to our rooms. Our apologies again.

Perfectly situated in a very cool area and easily accessible by public transport. Facilities were pretty standard as far as hostels go, but cleanliness was never an issue. I was particularly impressed by the staff (Dylan and Emma, to be specific) who went out of their way to point me in the direction of a free ATM, a brilliant little organic grocery store, and gave me detailed instructions on how to navigate my way across the city using multiple lines of transport. Would definitely return.

Great location (Shoreditch is amazing), helpful staff, and really clean. The hostel is super cool and near tons of great bars and restaurant but room C was unbearably hot at night and extremely noisy.

Thanks for your review, and we're glad you enjoyed your time here. We are currently working on ways to improve both the ventilation and noise in the rooms.

The staff were nice and helpful and the people that work there are cool. The beds are clean and showers are good! Although for some reason the hostel had no atmosphere and wasn't very comfortable. They didn't really have anything going on or planned which was a shame. It's in a good location but I probably wouldn't stay at the dictionary next time around.

Thanks for your review, and we're sorry to hear you wouldn't want to stay with us again. We will take your feedback on board and hopefully next time you are in London we will have so much going on we will catch your eye again ;)

Nice location in the hip and happening neighbourhood of Shoreditch. Walk to the nearest underground station approx. 10minutes. I booked a 6 persons dorm in the hope to have some 'personal space' but dorm was cramped and no windows. Also close to the courtyard with lots of noise of other guests during the night. Although 30 years old but still feeling young, the hostel was a bit 'too many hipsters and I just can't relate to them' ;-) No nice common living room, only a restaurant. Friendly staff.

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay. We appreciate your feedback!

Great hostel, great staff.

Glad you enjoyed yourself! :)

Nice location. The crow was too cool for me :P

We think all of our guests are pretty cool :)

No free breakfast but there is cafe downstairs serves good food with reasonable price. The room and shower room are clean and comfy. Location is very good if you want a night out in London. Also, easy access to other location in London, close to important bus lines, and close to Liverpool Street station.

Thanks for taking the time to review us!

I was probably among the oldest tenants in the 16 bed mixed dorm but it didn't stop me from enjoying myself. The staff were especially cool and I really enjoyed their friendliness and hospitality. It is a really convenient location and I was able to easily manage the parts of London I wanted to visit from the location. I will say that if you are interested in sleeping, try to get into a smaller dorm or something private; otherwise, it was a great experience.

• 29th May 2014

Thanks for your feedback and we're glad you enjoyed your stay!