The Dictionary, Shoreditch Reviews

10-20 Kingsland Road, London, England

Nice staff, clean and great location. Worst wifi of any hostel I've stayed and it's ridiculous that they charge for their "premium" wifi that only lasts for 24 hours per payment. The girls next door from Aus make a great cup of coffee at translate cafe

Hey there! Sorry - the wifi sucks at the moment - we know! :( We have signed a contract for super-strength industrial grade wifi with Virgin but we are just waiting for them to install it as there is a wait while they survey the property etc. Hopefully we should all be back up and online very soon and you can stream and download to your heart's content ;) But there's nothing like sipping on a great cup of coffee though while you wait, so I'm glad you enjoyed our cafe. Thanks for your patience :)

muy buena ubicacion en la zona del este donde estan todos los pubs y bares en la zona hipster de Londres. las habitaciones estan repletas de camas sin dejar mucho espacio libre al menos las de mas cantidad de camas. los baños en general estan bien, el personal es amable y el bar de al lado esta muy bien lastima que no se conecta directamente con el hostel por la noche y en la noche la cocina y la terraza estan cerrados.

Just go if you want to get drunk in shoreditch and get a place where to sleep. Don't take a private room 50 pounds each and a hole with no wardrobe and no place where to put your baga. Very noisy, drunk people in the weekend, but just walking on the floor makes everything shake. There are better hostels at that price.

Oh no! Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the room :( You're right, there's no wardrobe. However, there are lots of hooks available & if you have extra luggage, you're welcome to leave it in our secure luggage room downstairs. :) You're right, due to our central location amongst all the bars, it can sometimes be a bit noisy on the weekends. It's a great place to party. I'm glad to see from our system though that you decided to come back & stay another night in a dorm. Thanks for giving us another go

Fantastic accommodation in the heart of the city. It's probably one of the best hostels I've stayed in and i've stayed quite a few around the world! Nice staff and a free breakfast, what more could you ask for :o) Thanks for a great stay.

• 5th May 2015

Hey! Thanks for your feedback. So nice to read such lovely comments. We're aiming to be the best so it's great to hear we're up there at the top of your list. Thanks so much! :) :) Hurry back to Shoreditch!

Amazing accommodation in the perfect location – a must for tourists and locals. Definitely the BEST HOSTEL I've stayed in and will definitely recommend it to all my friends. The staff were super friendly and I absolutely LOVED that breakfast was included! If you're looking for somewhere to stay in Shoreditch this is the place – check out their app for more info about the Hostel, as well as their recommendations on some of the best local attraction.

• South Africa

Thanks so much for the great comments :) Really glad you enjoyed the app - we've put a lot of work into it so it's wonderful to hear some good feedback for it. And the best hostel you've stayed in!! What a compliment! :) :) Thanks so much. Come back soon!

What a great place - a hidden gem in the heart of the Shoreditch area.

• 5th May 2015

What a great review! Short and sweet! Love it :) Thanks a bunch and come back soon :D

I've stayed in many hostels through my 20's, and have experienced an array of what hostel accommodation can be during this time. Therefore it is with ease and confidence that The Dictionary in Shoreditch is one of the best. Affordable, in an excellent location, friendly staff, fantastic facilities, secure access - both the building itself and in the rooms (they have some roomy heavyweight lockers under the beds to keep your stuff!) and the rooms are quiet - at least while I was there. Thumbs up!

• 5th May 2015

Wow thanks for such a great review! :) Really glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Hope you'll come back soon to stay with us again. We're making lots of improvements at the moment, so it's an exciting time for the hostel. All the best with your travels! :)

2 jr geleden was the Dictionary een boutique hostel met een toffe bar, erg veel sfeer en slechts een paar kamers. Nu is het een hostel fabriek zonder charme, met vele vrijgezellen parties, een raamloos hok om je ontbijt te eten en slechte wifi. De waterdruk is zo laag dat tijdens het douchen rustig de helfst van de tijd op water staat te wachten, op een kamer van 6 zijn 4 stopcontacten allen bij 1 bed waar je niet bijkan als diegene slaapt. Echt heel erg jammer, ik zal er nooit meer heengaan.

Hey! So sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay as much as the first time you came! One of the consequences of success is you get bigger & busier! Luckily this doesn't seem to be a problem most of the time, it just adds to the atmosphere. :) Water pressure should be ok, so I've asked the maintenance manager to investigate asap. We're doing our best to make lots of improvements to the hostel at the moment (including wifi & sockets) so please come back again soon to see for yourself. Thanks!

Receiption staff look the part but not great as far as knowledge. Often not paying attention to front door to buzz people inside/not knowing answers to questions and definitely not going out of their way to help. Bar/cafe staff very friendly and helpful with local info. Great location for all things Shoreditch though

Hey there. Thanks for the review. Three of our receptionists are brand spanking new & are still training at the minute, so hopefully it was just a case of teething problems. Sorry about that! :) If you need any more info, I would heartily recommend our new app! It's the perfect guide to Shoreditch and has loads of suggestions for things to do, walking routes to follow and great places to eat etc. Glad to hear you enjoyed the cafe & bar - hope you also enjoyed the 20% guest discount ;) Cheers!

El staff tiene muy poca onda. Solo hablan entre ellos, parecen cansados de trabajar ahí, muy poco amigables. La conexión a internet es MUY MALA, incluso la que es paga. Punto a favor la cocina es super completa. No tan grande, pero tiene de todo. Está en zona de bares y boliches, pero lejos del metro (a unas 7 cuadras de Old St. y a 10 de Liverpool St.).

Gracias por el feedback. Lo siento que había algunos problemas. Estamos haciendo esfuerzos para mejorar el wifi. Esperamos una nueva línea que proveerá una conexión mucho más fuerte. Debe llegar dentro del próximo mes. Estamos en la Zona 1 del metro a unos 7 minutos a pie de la estación de Old Street. La de Shoreditch High Street está aun más cerca a 5 minutos a pie. No está mal ;) Me alegra que te hayan gustado tanto la cocina y la ubicación entre todos los bares!

Loved the app. Followed the walking route for a morning in Shoreditch & had a great time. Lots of interesting stuff around East London and not your typical Big Ben and Buckingham Palace London experience - real people live here!! Staff were friendly when I needed advice and there is a nice independent vibe there that you don't get in other hostels. Showers are a bit small, but the rooms are great and how much time do you spend in the shower anyway? Breakfast was yummy - pretty good for free too.

• 23rd Apr 2015
  • prerakthomson2135

Thanks for the comments. Particularly on our app! We're working so hard to populate it with up to date info on events & the best places to go, eat, drink, shop, party & sightsee, so it's fantastic to know people are using it. :) You're right - East London's a completely different experience for people who are looking for something different from the typical London experience... but we're still within easy reach of all the traditional sights. Will share your comments with the staff later :D

Location was amazing, right in the heart of Shoreditch. When you stay in the city centre it's always going to be loud at times, but it's definitely worth it and the staff members made for a pleasant stay.

• 15th Apr 2015

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear you enjoyed our location in the heart of Shoreditch. I will pass on your kind words to our staff at our weekly meeting later on. Make sure you come back soon and thanks again! :)

I enjoyed to stay in this hostel: very unique atmosphere, lovely, helpful staff, breakfast is ok, nice people to meet, there's always people around, I recommand to every young people and to those who likes ebulliance. (pezsgés to Hungarians :) )

• Hungary

So glad you loved our independent vibe! There's nowhere else like us in London! ;) I had to google the meaning of ebulliance, just to check you weren't being rude ;) but I can confirm we have plenty of ebulliance too! Haha. Come back soon!! :D

The hostel is excellent! Travelling to London you should really stay there! Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Lovely location close to lots of interesting places, 15 min walk from Tower Bridge. Best place for meeting new people and having fun. I had so much fun staying is this hostel, would definitely stay again with no hesitation if I come back to London! (Oh yeah they are sooo creative: swing in the room etc:-)

• Hungary

Hey there! Glad to hear you had so much fun staying with us. That's what we love to hear! Please make sure you do come again - we would love to welcome you back! The swing is waiting for you.... ;)

I'll echo what so many others said when I first read about the hostel, which is that it is in an awesome location. Shoreditch is by far one of the hippest places in the world, and the staff were so friendly and helpful to point me in the right directions to see it. I loved the vibe of the hostel and its bar, and had a really great time whilst staying there. Can't wait for the next time!

• 13th Apr 2015

Thanks for your positive comments! Such great feedback :) Your right, our location is great! Haha ;) We love it here too - so much going on! (Top tip: download our app for more info on events, bars and walking routes) Glad you had such a good stay with us overall and that you made friends with the staff. I will pass on your comments to them at our weekly team meeting. They'll be so pleased. :) All the best and come back soon!

The Dictionary Hostel is as definitive as its name! What hip funky place to be! I am coming back as soon as I can!!

• 11th Apr 2015
  • South Africa

Thank you so much for your great review! We can't wait to have you back either. Get planning that return trip! :)

Great hostel! Nice friendly staff and awesome atmosphere. I stayed over the weekend and had a great time seeing the local sights during the day and checking out the bars at night. If I'm ever in East London again in know where I will be staying!

Hey! Thanks for the feedback :) Glad you enjoyed all that Shoreditch has to offer, both by day and by night. Download our app to stay connected with us and to keep up with all that's going on in Shoreditch and East London. Cheers!

Excellent position, awesome staff and just generally awesome. I'll never leave this place !

Thanks so much for the great review! :) I'll pass on your comments at the staff meeting this week :D Come back soon!

Great hostel and great staff! Keep up!

• 4th Apr 2015
  • Sweden

Thanks so much!! Please come back soon and download our app to stay in touch :)

Great London Hostel to stay in, easy going efficient staff giving the hostel a nice relaxed feel to it. Great breakfast on offer and good kitchen facilities to cook meals in, nice clean rooms and a great location to explore East London from. Really enjoyed my stay and will definitely be back here again on my next visit to London.

• 2nd Apr 2015
  • Scotland

Hey there! Thanks for the great feedback. So glad you enjoyed your time down in East London. I'm sure there's still loads left for you to discover, though (download our app to see!). Hope to see you back here soon ;) Cheers!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4