The Dreamer Reviews

Playa Donaire, Palomino beach area, Palomino, Colombia

Fantastic backpackers resort. A few minor annoyances, they did not have any wifi for the full three days we were there, the buffet breakfast was okay but they had stale cereal, and no fault of the hostel but the bugs there are unrelenting. Bring lots of bug spray. On the whole though a great place to stay.

This was my second time staying at the dreamer. As an expat living in Colombia I love the combination of traditional Colombia and a more international ambience. This place pleases everyone no matter if you're bringing your kids on holiday, your lover for a romantic getaway, or are traveling the world and want to meet a good group of like-minded companions. Easy access to other local attractions!

One of the better hostels I have visited,not just in South America but anywhere in the world. More like a resort than a hostel - perfect location by the beach,beautiful gardens and pool and well maintained rooms. The meals are excellent and the bar area has plenty of atmosphere. Best of all are the staff - after two weeks felt like part of the family. The perfect place to relax a few days (or weeks!)

It was like a holiday resort for backpackers, nice pool and bar. Short walk to the beach. We had great weather in the mornings there but heavy rain in the afternoon, which lead to not having power often in the afternoon. More seating around the pool would be nice.

Incredible place to stay. Good rooms, attention and food. Is a perfect place to stay in Palomino.

• 18th Aug 2014

Wifi is horrible!!! Beach and swimmingpool are wonderful!

Dear Traveller, Thank you for your nice review, We are so happy you enjoyed our facilities and the beach! Wifi is actualy fast if you consider our remote location, guests watch an online movie or skype home with no problems, we only have 15 satellite spots at the same time, we prefer a good internet for 15 togheder then a bad internet for 30, Palomino can be taken as a moment to relax and escape from the busy world we are use to, hope to provide this chill vibe during your next visit, seeY

awesome pool, really great place to chill out for a couple of days

I don't think it's the smartest idea to use dirt tracks from a swimming pool to the dorms - therefore the dorms were constantly very dirty. Because I had seen posts about the internet situation: They have (for hostel guests free) satellite service for a maximum of 15 people. Then it's relatively fast, but in busy times one might have to wait a bit. I moved to a closeby hostel (there are several others directly at the beach), as it was cheaper, less crowded and more peaceful.

Dear Traveller, Thanks for your review, is important for us to hear your opinions and feedback, all our land is beach's sand and it would be very sad to cover it with concrete only to have an easier cleaning...all guest can clean their feet before entering the dorms using the provided water, It is true that our internet is fast but of course, at the busiest time you may have to wait a little bit like everywhere Palomino anyway is the correct place for travellers to try to disconnect, seeYou

It is a nice place to stay and relax the spirit.

• 8th Aug 2014
  • Colombia

Dear Traveller, Thanks for your nice words, I m agree with you about the relaxing athmosphere you feel in Dreamer and in general in Palomino, you got the spiriyt of our town. Hope to see you again soon Fulvio, Dreamer hostel manager

This is the best hostel me and my husband stayed in whilst travelling South America. The manager went beyond to help us and the hostel is just beautiful!

It was very good only the pool was a bit dirty but hey there is chlorid in it so enjoy. The possibility to get on a ATM is really bad there but this has nothing to do with the hostel. Thanks for every thing

• 5th Aug 2014
  • Switzerland

This was the best hostel we stayed at on our trip to Colombia. The combination of the staff, location, and anemities made it perfect! In addition, a feeling of family and environment that promoted interaction among guests was great! I loved body sufing on an absolutely beautiful beach and showering and then relaxing in the lovely pool with a happy hour cocktail. Waking up in the morning to palm trees and snowcapped peaks was amazing. I will definitely be back.

• 31st Jul 2014

LOVED LOVED LOVED this place... Such a chilled and relaxed scene in sumptuously gorgeous surrounds. Staff immensely friendly and helpful, and a fantastic kitchen. Recommended.

There is a reason why they are voted best hostel in Colombia. Amazing place! The staff are the BEST and the facilities are outstanding. It is the ONLY place I will stay in Santa Marta and Palomino. The Palomino hostel looks more like a resort than a hostel and the beach is just a few feet away!

• 19th Jul 2014

Perfect hostel - amazing staff who remember your name (no matter how long your backpack has been hiding in their store room). Clean decent sized pool. Great location to go into tayrona, palomino, costeno or taganga. Awesome Italian food as the owners are from there! Good party without being bresa-loca wild

Dreamer Hostel in Palomino is a very nice hostel and close to the beach. The staff is very helpful and friendly. If you just want to relax on the beach it is perfect there. There are also nice rivers nearby so you have the choice to swim in the sea or in the river. The hostel also have a swimming-pool and therefore you can chill out there as well! If I return to Palomino I will definately stay at the Dreamer Hostel again because I had a good time there! I recommend it to other travellers!!!

We stupidly booked for the wrong day, but when we turned up they managed to find room for us, was in the staff accomodation area, adaquate and half the price. The staff were excellent and very helpful all round. Had a lovely pool, and bar area, but the atmosphere was a little odd, a bit cool for school perhaps, but others might enjoy that.

The hostel is good, although the price is too high indeed. The location is so-so. It seems like Palomino is the only place in Colombia with no party at all. Fridays and Saturdays are dead. Nothing is going on at the beach, nor at the village. Nights are boring. We also didn't like cocktails at the hostel bar - it seems that they don't add alcohol there at all. We drank 4 cocktails that seemed alcohol-free (though they weren't) and payed 20 thousand (Happy Hour price. Normal hour would cost 40).

Great experience at The Dreamer, totally recommended.

• 10th Jul 2014
  • Colombia

My only complaint is that they won't share the wifi password with you. You have to hand them your device, they enter the password and use lasts for only an hour at a time. But...perhaps that's actually a good thing.