The Duke of York Reviews

45 Harrowby Street, London, England

Definetely managers of this place need to be aware that they need more showers and toilets. On a busy weekend like the one I was in London it was really unpleasant to use the bathrooms, either they were dirty or out of service. I mean, I understand what a hostel concept is but it does not mean that certain basic things sould not be in good conditions.

• 26th Jun 2015
  • Colombia

Staff were friendly and helpful. I stayed in the 14 bed dorm and it was the most uncomfortable bed, felt like I was sleeping on springs. But after a few nights I moved to the 4 bed dorm and that was much better and cleaner. Not enough toilets, they were cleaned everyday but people kept leaving them filthy, and only 2 showers were working, which was a pain.

If you're looking for cheap stay and good location, consider this place. Although showers with no water pressure, no toilet paper and pile of dirt in the rooms make the stay unpleasant. Your desicion.

Very disappointed by this hostel. The worst I have experienced since I travel and sleep by this way (almost 6 years ago). The price is very low, and you understand why !!! toilets out of order, no atmosphere in the lobby, payment by visa impossible, unable to understand that you may give back the key later than the check out (because they were not open before 8AM, thus they rob 10L, even if you give back the key). Do not go there.

• 21st Jun 2015

very dirty, there were mouse traps in the room. bed really uncomfortable bathrooms small and dirty HORRIBLE

• 19th Jun 2015

Something definitely died in the building. It was so bad that I slept at Hyde Park. I'd rather deal with gypsies trying to rob me than the smell in that hostel.

• 18th Jun 2015

I stayed here cause it used to be the bar I would frequent when I lived around the corner for a year. it would be better if they pulled 2 beds from each room. they're too cramped. not enough lockers for everyone, pellets of rodent killing feed right under your bed, and someone else took my key in the room so I lost my deposit for it. bar staff are very nice, the owner, not so much. the showers are a joke. if you're really skint it's fine for a night or two but I wouldn't stay here again.

Craud room, with no space to move Ensuite does not work No shelves at the showers so you can not put your soap or shampoo any ware No coffee or tea making fascilities

Excellent location with friendly and helpful staff. Good value for money - even included breakfast! I would stay here again. Thank you.

The room felt safe and was very secure however there were only a few lockers accessible in a room of 14 people so not everyone had a locker to store their valuables. The staff weren't impolite, they just weren't that friendly or helpful. Definitely not the best hostel atmosphere for younger people! Wasn't overly clean; there were mice in the room with 14 beds that chewed through people's food that was left in their bags. Many of the showers were out of order and nothing was done to fix them,

• 28th May 2015

REALLY BAD beds, clean shower and wc, lockers too small for average backpack but clean room otherwise. No reception except for the bar, where you kind of don't feel welcome. Good location close to Oxford Street. In their description they say there's breakfast included, well it's only breakfast on weekends so they should define it better in the description.

Simply don´t go there. It´s not a hostel, but a couple of dirty old rooms in unacceptable condition. My say here was terrible, really feel cheated, the wifi doesnt work, theres absolutely no common area, no facilities, no nothing. Its a fraud, this shouldn´t even be on Hostelworld, this website should keep track of the hostels that are adviced here, this place is just infamous and doesn´t even comply the minimum legal standards to be considered a hostel

Mouse in property, tearing away my luggage.

It's really just a room above a bar. But we knew that going into it and it was fine. We chose it for the location, which is pretty good- 30 min walking to the British Museum. The only inconvenient thing is that the bar itself doesn't open until 11 am, so services like printing a boarding pass can't happen until bar staff arrives. Don't book if you're looking for a hostel atmosphere- but for a decently clean bed in a quieter neighborhood not far from museums, it's a good deal.

Paying the same price, in other hostels you could get better service such as breakfast included and discounts on drinks in the pub downstairs.

location quite far from downtown. accomodation DIRTY, showers not working, not enough toilettes, uncomfortable beds, dirty lockers, untidy, just get rid of the carpet ! lovely and quiet neighbourhood. staff fine enough. only the lady from breafkast was aloof and barely nice to us. I wish they wanted to share a bit more about their city. atmosphere: no talks. the music in the bar is really bad! facilities NO wifi in the rooms (how come?!?), tasteless breakfast

One of the worst I ever stayed. I wouldn t pay more than 10 £/night for it.

shittiest place i ever stayed...

• 16th Apr 2015
  • Lithuania

It is what it is, a good located dorm room above a pub with thin matteress' and limited facilities but for only £10

Filthy, bad linen filthy, tiny and filthy toilette, no kitchen!! Just paid because of the cheap price and good location, but if you want something better, definitely dont book this place! P.s.: lovely staff!