The Duke of York Reviews

45 Harrowby Street, London, England

It's really just a room above a bar. But we knew that going into it and it was fine. We chose it for the location, which is pretty good- 30 min walking to the British Museum. The only inconvenient thing is that the bar itself doesn't open until 11 am, so services like printing a boarding pass can't happen until bar staff arrives. Don't book if you're looking for a hostel atmosphere- but for a decently clean bed in a quieter neighborhood not far from museums, it's a good deal.

Paying the same price, in other hostels you could get better service such as breakfast included and discounts on drinks in the pub downstairs.

One of the worst I ever stayed. I wouldn t pay more than 10 £/night for it.

shittiest place i ever stayed...

• 16th Apr 2015
  • Lithuania

It is what it is, a good located dorm room above a pub with thin matteress' and limited facilities but for only £10

Filthy, bad linen filthy, tiny and filthy toilette, no kitchen!! Just paid because of the cheap price and good location, but if you want something better, definitely dont book this place! P.s.: lovely staff!

cool hostel in really good location!

• 6th Mar 2015
  • Lithuania

In short: - dirty and cold toilets - out of order showers - room was never cleaned (don't look behind beds) - 3 lockers for 16 people (who comes first gets one) - close to the city center (you can go by foot) But still we are happy that there are places like this in London, because it is cheep, and if you priority is money and location (and you can live in poor conditions) we recommend it, but just be prepared :)

• 3rd Mar 2015
  • Serbia

The worst hostel I've ever been to. First I had to wait for 2 Hours to check in cause there was a football game and thex prefered the bar. Then the beds were dirty and uncomfortable, the showers didnt work and it smelled. When i wanted to check out at 8 am there was no one there and I almost missed the bus. I dont mind sleeping in Buses at airports and at stations so i dont need a lot of comfort. But this is not what i exspect when going to a hostel!!!

The staff was really helpful and very nice. You get to live above a bar which was awesome. The place is a walk from main sightseeing places but I didn't mind. It was good exercise. There were 7 of us and we booked the 25 mixed dorm but they put us all together in a room for 8 it was awesome. It was very well heated so if your cold natured it was perfect. We got free breakfast on Saturday and Sunday and it was really good. We had cereal. Oatmeal, toast,

• 26th Feb 2015

Loved the location and security of the hostel. Not advertising that it is a hostel is actually quite comforting and another way to protect travels which I appreciated. Breakfast on the weekends is a great bonus as well. The bathrooms and showers were a little dirty and the water in the shower could be warmer/run longer but overall was adequate facilities. Room was clean, but also very hot.

• 26th Feb 2015

Great central location, no kitchen to make own meals, but has a restaurant/bar at ground floor and lots of restaurants nearby. Good value for money!

Very nice hostel, athmosphere is comfortable :) The beds are not so good, you can feel the bedsprings. Very good, that you serve breakfast. Location is top.

For the money, not bad.

• 7th Feb 2015

Staff are great here. Super friendly. She changed the sheets of a bed that looked unused just in case other people in room might have used that bed to sit and chat or put their bags. It was a really nice gesture! I was lucky that I was there at the weekend so got breakfast. But it's a shame they don't offer it during the week. The bed itself is terrible. You really feel every spring. There are also not enough lockers. I was in a 14 bedded room and there were only 6 or 7 lockers there.

The bathrooms were very dirty and filthy, and I don't think anyone cleaned them during our stay. In the 14 bed dorm there was a constant fight about the sockets, as there were only two accessible for everyone (some hidden behind beds).

• 28th Jan 2015

The location and price are fine, but the accomodation is so uncomfortable, too many beds and people in a tiny room.

Place otherwise OK. Only the problem was, that you could not chek out before 10.00 am.

Please not that i was staying there during a rebuild. but i experienced the staff as very uninterested in their "hostel" business and replied very uninterested which made me feel more of a burden than an appreciated customer. Breakfast was given at an odd hour which made us having to skip it (was given from 9-10am). the room was extremely hot as the heater was on max continuously. there was not enough lockers for everyone.

• 2nd Jan 2015
  • Sweden

Amazing location, price , really nice staff and free breakfast. The room did stink and there was a big pool of water on the floor but this was more due to other guests! I would definately stay again for the price and locatipn

• 12th Dec 2014