The Duke of York Reviews

45 Harrowby Street, London, England

One shower for all the hostel (4 rooms), the beds are crammed into rooms and washbasins are in the toilets

• 6th Feb 2016

My bed was not made when I got there, very unclean. Good for maybe one night if you are desperate.

• 5th Feb 2016

The stuff was very nice and friendly me. I will be able to use the hostel again.

• 30th Jan 2016
  • Zambia

Amazing time had a good time me and my buddy had a blast on our vacation here stayed a week will be back hostel of choice from now on whenever im in london friendly staff Elena was real friendly outgoing and her service was speachless treated us like family from day one this place is filled with warmth and friendly locals so many storys here to be heard it was absolutely stunning experience they made a duke fan out of me

• 29th Jan 2016

A very bad organisation in this hostel, people sleeping in the beds we were suppose to have for the night. Plus, a very low level of facilities (only two WC and 2 showers for at least 30 people!) and no wifi. We just stayed 1 night and I hope we only had bad luck regarding this hostel and it is not always like that....

Needs new mattresses and bedding desperately

• 22nd Jan 2016

I was supposed to stay two nights, couldn't do it. It was a complete nightmare, and this box does not allow for a full description. Short: Toilets had no paper, light or soap, and were extremely disgusting. Wifi didn't work. Not enough sockets for charging, showers incredibly disgusting, no common area (had breakfast on the stair) room seemed like an ep. of hoarders (I think my roommates lives there permanently) the bunk-bed:very shaky, better mattresses in prison. lockers too small.

• 6th Jan 2016
  • Denmark

The worst hostel I have ever stayed! One disgusting toilet and one shower for 3 rooms with 10 bed each! Couldn't stay there and move to another hostel!

We are pleased with our visit to the hostel. You felt yourself welcome. A nice and peaceful place. When we come next time, we'll definitely be back.

• 18th Dec 2015
  • Finland

Is a great place for enjoy London, have good connections for the tube and is a nice neighborhood, the staff is great! Live music saturday in the pub! The London full experience!

The owners were nice, but some temporary stuff they had was not nice (maybe bad timing). While it is fun to have a bar in the hostel, the problem is that there is no "hang out" area where you can just sit and chill, if you do not decide to have a beer in the bar. Also there is no kitchen and no food is allowed in the rooms, which is understandable, but you have to always eat out then. Beds are a bit short, might be a problem for tall people and no temperature regulation on showers.

The only thing that I recommend is the location is very good

• 4th Dec 2015
  • Kuwait

The wifi was not working the 2 days that I stayed there and when I the staff, he said oh I am sorry but didn't do anything about it. Heater was also broken during my stay there so the room was freezing cold. Shower water was barely warm and it was about 5 degrees outside. Will not recommend anyone to stay there.

The French bartender/receptionist guy is cute and very helpful. But when I saw the condition of the room I almost checked-out....there was a SYMPHONY of mice shuffling through the room the entire night. I met some cool people while I was here though, but sadly I won't come back.

I wouldnt recommenf this hostel. I stayed in a 9 ppl dorm, which had 3 story bunkbeds. So the lowest bed was almost on the floor, and YES, there are mice and it came into my bed!!!! I switched to the higher story of the bed after i saw it directly next to my face. I couldnt sleep after that for 2 hours. The matress was very bad as well. There was a drunk guy that came into the room at 3o clock in the morning. I told the staff about the mouse, she said thats normal in London. No breakfeast either

There was no soap in the toilets

Very badly run. Rude staff. The bar is the only common area. The beds are very uncomfortable and old. Very few sockets to charge phones.

The first impression of the hostel was quite good, but when we entered we realise that it was not as good as we thought. First of all, the room was so small for 15 people, so we did not have almost space for our luggage. The lockers were useless... At night we had a festival of mice in our room, gnawing our things.In addition, we had to plug holes with books to avoid the mice. The bed sheets were stinking and the hostel staff weren´t very nice.

• 2nd Nov 2015
  • Spain

There was no plave to leave the luggage, we had just 3 lockers for a 14 guests bedroom. The window couldn't be closed and this is a big deal if you are there in november... They ask us for a 10£ extra as a deposit for the key. Bathrooms are very dirty, specially the showers, and there are just a few ones for all the guests

The place is well-located, but rooms are dirty and bathrooms are really awful, some of them cannot even be locked. We didn’t dare to take a shower. There is no a safe place to put your luggage, you have to trust in your roommates. We had a problem with one of our assigned beds because it was taken for another guest and the staff (a blond guy) was very rude with us.