The Duke of York Reviews

45 Harrowby Street, London, England

Great accomodation for 1 or 2 nights but not longer.

The worst bed ever i have slept. All beds are very old sprung mattres. I think is better to sleep in the floor. On Sunday when we needed to check out the reception was closed and nobody answer the phone. Finally I lost 10 pounds because nobody could return me my card door fee. And I can't understand why I paid for the breakfast if they finally don't work in the morning! And I don't want to imagen if a emergency happens...

The worst 'hostel' I've ever stayed at. It's an outrage that they are allowed to call it a hostel. Not even a communal sink to fill your drink bottle in. Just bunk beds crammed into a room. Two toilets for about forty guests. The two showers you can actually use just dribble hot water down the wall of an unventilated box. Please do not stay here. You may think that ten quid is cheap for the location, but they shouldn't be allowed to get away with this. Flat screen TV in the bar ffs.

• 14th Aug 2015

Full of rats at night. broken shower rooms. water leaks in the room.

Rooms & bathrooms were very dirty. Too many bunks in room. Not enough charging outlets. Bit of a walk to nearest subway stop. Springs in mattress poked through. Locker doors bent & twisted. No mirror in bathroom. Staff was very friendly & helpful though.

Somebody stole my electric shaver, toothbrush. Well done!

• 19th Jul 2015
  • Hungary

cold water, dirty, not cleaned for days, no room to access your bed or your belongings

Really cool place to stay, friendly staff, definitely would come back, enjoyed meeting other guests

Definetely managers of this place need to be aware that they need more showers and toilets. On a busy weekend like the one I was in London it was really unpleasant to use the bathrooms, either they were dirty or out of service. I mean, I understand what a hostel concept is but it does not mean that certain basic things sould not be in good conditions.

• 26th Jun 2015
  • Colombia

If you just want a bed to sleep this place is ok (though there was no pillow on my bed). the room is quite cramped and i could feel springs in the mattress. for the price i have paid i don't think i can complain too much. however if you are looking for a proper hostel i would suggest to stay elsewhere.

• 25th Jun 2015

Staff were friendly and helpful. I stayed in the 14 bed dorm and it was the most uncomfortable bed, felt like I was sleeping on springs. But after a few nights I moved to the 4 bed dorm and that was much better and cleaner. Not enough toilets, they were cleaned everyday but people kept leaving them filthy, and only 2 showers were working, which was a pain.

If you're looking for cheap stay and good location, consider this place. Although showers with no water pressure, no toilet paper and pile of dirt in the rooms make the stay unpleasant. Your desicion.

Very disappointed by this hostel. The worst I have experienced since I travel and sleep by this way (almost 6 years ago). The price is very low, and you understand why !!! toilets out of order, no atmosphere in the lobby, payment by visa impossible, unable to understand that you may give back the key later than the check out (because they were not open before 8AM, thus they rob 10L, even if you give back the key). Do not go there.

• 21st Jun 2015

very dirty, there were mouse traps in the room. bed really uncomfortable bathrooms small and dirty HORRIBLE

• 19th Jun 2015

Something definitely died in the building. It was so bad that I slept at Hyde Park. I'd rather deal with gypsies trying to rob me than the smell in that hostel.

• 18th Jun 2015

I stayed here cause it used to be the bar I would frequent when I lived around the corner for a year. it would be better if they pulled 2 beds from each room. they're too cramped. not enough lockers for everyone, pellets of rodent killing feed right under your bed, and someone else took my key in the room so I lost my deposit for it. bar staff are very nice, the owner, not so much. the showers are a joke. if you're really skint it's fine for a night or two but I wouldn't stay here again.

Craud room, with no space to move Ensuite does not work No shelves at the showers so you can not put your soap or shampoo any ware No coffee or tea making fascilities

Excellent location with friendly and helpful staff. Good value for money - even included breakfast! I would stay here again. Thank you.

The room felt safe and was very secure however there were only a few lockers accessible in a room of 14 people so not everyone had a locker to store their valuables. The staff weren't impolite, they just weren't that friendly or helpful. Definitely not the best hostel atmosphere for younger people! Wasn't overly clean; there were mice in the room with 14 beds that chewed through people's food that was left in their bags. Many of the showers were out of order and nothing was done to fix them,

• 28th May 2015

REALLY BAD beds, clean shower and wc, lockers too small for average backpack but clean room otherwise. No reception except for the bar, where you kind of don't feel welcome. Good location close to Oxford Street. In their description they say there's breakfast included, well it's only breakfast on weekends so they should define it better in the description.