The Dwellington Reviews

8 Halswell Street, Thorndon, Wellington, New Zealand

Loved it!! Absolutely fabulous, clean, friendly people, great place to relax, definitely would recommend.

Friendly, helpful staff. Good facilities and close to City.

I've stayed in ~40 hostels in NZ and this was one of my favourites. Lovely spacious clean bedrooms, well set out kitchen and large dining table, powerful showers. Only a minute from a big supermarket. The only downside was the WiFi, which only worked in the downstairs communal area and even then it was patchy and slow. I stayed in several other hostels in wellington and it is well worth spending a couple of dollars more to stay here!

The free wifi doesn't really work outside the reception area and is very slow. But the hostel itself is very nice, I liked it a lot.

LOVE THIS PLACE! I would like to stay there for a month!

Great hostel! Very clean and friendly. The bed was phenomenal. At 6'3", my feet usually hang off hostel beds, but here, I had plenty of room to stretch out. The atmosphere was awesome and very social.

Best kitchen in a hostel I have ever experienced

The staff were very friendly and helpful. In a nice quiet spot close to New World Supermarket. So glad I found this hostel would def stay again

• 20th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Our first experience of using a hostel in New Zealand and it worked well for us, Reasonably conveniently located between the central area and the Interislander ferry terminal, it suited us well. Staff were very helpful, room was fine and value excellent. Didn't use any cooking facilities at the hostel but found a convenient cheapish breakfast cafe just across the road. Only down side was that we couldn't find anywhere to store bikes securely and ended up padlocked at the front of the hostel

The Dwellington is a really nice place, clean, safe, pretty, well located, with confortable beds. Probably one of the best backpackers where I staid in NZ with reasonables and fair prices for a room. You'll quickly feel like at home ;-).

The hostel itself was OK, the room I stayed in was very spacious with comfy beds. It is the opposite side of the city to the main attractions but close to blue bridge ferry teminal. The main problem with it is there are a lot of long term people living there who took over the kitchen and common areas in the evening, meaning no 1 else had anywhere to socialise.

Nice chilled hostel. But Wifi connection is poor.

• 11th Feb 2015
  • Austria

Me and my boyfriend only stayed there for one night, and we loved it there. Really great place, lots of different people to meet, we ended up playing a few card games with two people we had spoken to for only a couple of minutes. The managers were awesome as well!

Hostel is based in a really good quiet location just 10mins walk into the CBD. Easy access to the Botanic Garden and Te Ahumairangi Hill lookout which I think is much nicer and more peaceful than Mt. Vic lookout. I really liked staying at The Dwellington, a minutes walk to the supermarket however wifi is the slowest I've experienced and the kitchen gets very crowded in the morning & evenings.

The hostel is good but overpriced!!

The best hostel in NZ without a doubt.

The room was rather sparse with no bedside table or lamp. Wifi was advertised but was only available if you were pretty much sitting on the receptionists knee!!so no use really. Friendly staff but with a few tweaks would have been a great stay. Instead was average at best.

• 3rd Feb 2015

Nice place, seemed to be over-run with permanent stay people. Just a weird vibe to the place. They seemed to have the run of the place and we were guests in their house. Just felt a bit off. Place was very messy also- kitchen with dishes, dirty towels left in our room, a corridor filled with shoes. Just a bit off. Has potential to be nice but wouldn't recommend people stay there

really nice hostel with a great spirit. Felt really safe and like home

Loved this place! This place is everything a hostel should be, laid back and chilled out. Amazing kitchen, great space for meeting people, free wifi, good outdoor space, friendly staff. Will be coming back! Especially for the free breakfast!