The Dwellington Reviews

8 Halswell Street, Thorndon, Wellington, New Zealand

Best hostel in Wellington, great location, great staff, great atmosphere. As it's located between the American and Chinese Embassies it feels pretty safe. 10 - 20 minutes walk to the CBD, most people are long termers, but you get easily into their "community". New World super market is next door. Kitchen is well equipped and a good place to meet everyone. Rooms are clean and comfortable.

Very welcoming and homey hostel. I enjoyed the free breakfast, nice tv room and super soft linen. Relaxed vibe. Clean bathrooms that smelled nice as well- nice touch!

Friendly greeting on arrival and friendly enquiry into what we may need. Located near Supermarket, main train station, Sports Stadium, pubs and take away food. Would recommend as a spot to stay.

• 24th Apr 2015

One of the Best hostels i ve been to...and i am doing a world trip. Emma is running just the best place in NZ

Very nice staff

One of the safest places in Wellington just across the US Embassy and the NZ Police. Nice kitchen and common area, spacious as well. It's a good walk from the Ferry (watch how to walk to the hostel, do not go via the Trainstation you would otherwise walk 30 min.) and the downtown area. Rooms got a lot of space and are clean.

Loved it!! Absolutely fabulous, clean, friendly people, great place to relax, definitely would recommend.

Friendly, helpful staff. Good facilities and close to City.

Great place, clean, welcoming and enjoyable. The Irish (I think) guy was very accommodating and helpful.

• 20th Mar 2015
  • New Zealand

Need better WiFi. It was cold in my room.

I've stayed in ~40 hostels in NZ and this was one of my favourites. Lovely spacious clean bedrooms, well set out kitchen and large dining table, powerful showers. Only a minute from a big supermarket. The only downside was the WiFi, which only worked in the downstairs communal area and even then it was patchy and slow. I stayed in several other hostels in wellington and it is well worth spending a couple of dollars more to stay here!

The free wifi doesn't really work outside the reception area and is very slow. But the hostel itself is very nice, I liked it a lot.

LOVE THIS PLACE! I would like to stay there for a month!

Great hostel! Very clean and friendly. The bed was phenomenal. At 6'3", my feet usually hang off hostel beds, but here, I had plenty of room to stretch out. The atmosphere was awesome and very social.

Best kitchen in a hostel I have ever experienced

The staff were very friendly and helpful. In a nice quiet spot close to New World Supermarket. So glad I found this hostel would def stay again

• 20th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Our first experience of using a hostel in New Zealand and it worked well for us, Reasonably conveniently located between the central area and the Interislander ferry terminal, it suited us well. Staff were very helpful, room was fine and value excellent. Didn't use any cooking facilities at the hostel but found a convenient cheapish breakfast cafe just across the road. Only down side was that we couldn't find anywhere to store bikes securely and ended up padlocked at the front of the hostel

The Dwellington is a really nice place, clean, safe, pretty, well located, with confortable beds. Probably one of the best backpackers where I staid in NZ with reasonables and fair prices for a room. You'll quickly feel like at home ;-).

The hostel itself was OK, the room I stayed in was very spacious with comfy beds. It is the opposite side of the city to the main attractions but close to blue bridge ferry teminal. The main problem with it is there are a lot of long term people living there who took over the kitchen and common areas in the evening, meaning no 1 else had anywhere to socialise.

Nice chilled hostel. But Wifi connection is poor.

• 11th Feb 2015