The Dwellington Reviews

8 Halswell Street, Thorndon, Wellington, New Zealand

Hostel is ok, but description on website is a bit misleading - nothing outstanding. Very loud.

a beautiful hostel, exquisite decor, very flashpacker, friendly staff who were very generous with their gin we had a fabulous time

This was one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in! Not only was it extremely clean and well kept, the dorm rooms are extremely spacious and you don't feel like cramped. The staff went well above and beyond my expectations! There was always someone there to answer questions and they genuinely seem so happy to be there. I would absolutely stay again. The only downside is the distance from the city center, but my amazing experience made me forget about that!

Perfect for a stopover as it's really close to the rail station and interislander ferry, you get a great mix of people passing through :) The room and facilities are top notch, most beds have electric ports, free wifi!! and the dorm rooms had tones of space, ours featured a psychiatrists sofa, not that you'll need one!!

It was really noisy living in room 1. Kitchen, lounge, etc were just right beside of it. People talked and laughed very loudly till very late, and people who left the hostel very early would also talk loudly when you were still sleeping at 6 or 7a.m.

Awesome place, really well decorated. The hostel has a really cool vibe and the staff were very helpful. It is a little bit of a walk to get to the city centre but it's not to far. Would definitely recommend.

Not enough cutlery or crockery for everyone to use; WiFi terrible.

We had our stag do accommodation here and booked a dorm to ourselves. It was perfect. Went out all day and came back to freshen up and have a few beers before hitting the town which is walking distance and extremely handy. Staff where friendly and helpful. 5 Star Rating!

• 7th Nov 2014
  • New Zealand

I love their wooden bunk bed in the dorm. The place is close to everything: grocery, parliament, etc. Got friendly and helpful staff too.

I was only at The Dwellington for one night but I had a good experience there. It's really close to the bus/train station, which was great for me since I had an early nakedbus. Also with the early bus the staff put out breakfast early for me, which was so nice! (There was peanut butter for the toast too, a plus in my book.) Bfast and wifi included and for this price was great, and rare in NZ. It is a bit outside the city center and does have a lot of long time guests but still a nice new place.

One of the most beautiful hostels we stayed in New Zealand! It is so clean and the toilets are amazing lol. Staff are really funny too. There's also Free unlimited Wifi which is awesome! There's parking right outside the hostel entrance but all parallel parking and can be challenging! The only not-so-good thing about the location of Dwellington is, it is located at a very small alley and we missed it on the first turn coming from the highway. Not surprised if many people can't find the place

I spend a really great moment at the Dwellington, the staff is really kind with the guests. They purpose a lot of activities as the brewery tour of Wellington or Jenga tournament. Really Clean (Rooms, showers ...) a lot of facilities (free Wifi for example, tennis ...) I recommend to every one, for sure you will spend a very good time

• 26th Sep 2014

I liked this hostel because it was very clean, modern and not huge like others making it feel more homely. I did however think it was a little out the way in location as a single female traveller walking back at night, however it was good because you got a good nights sleep & the hostel cat's are cuties... Would stay again for sure!

Fresh new place where I was expected smart built. But the walls let all the sound go everywhere. In the dorm1 you can't sleep until the kitchen get quite ! In the morning, the nice music wakes up you too early. Well design furnitures but it don't create a lovely and friendly atmosphere.

It's nicely renovated and clean hostel. About 15 mins walk to the CBD and 10 mins walk from the bus station (if you're taking Naked Bus). Love the location as it's quiet - not a party hostel. I will definitely come back! :)

The hostel is very clean, the rooms are big. The only negative comment I have is that Dorm 1 is too close to the kitchen and lounge which makes it not very quiet when people is around. But the place was quiet at night, so it wasn't a problem to sleep.

I had a great time here, would be cool if there were lockers. Free Breaky was ideal and staff were friendly

Everything was pretty clean... No lockers but room require an access key. One of the only place in NZ with free wifi but it is hard to log on when everyone is on. Car park is really limited.... Good kitchen facilities and free breakfast is a real plus.

Mixed feelings: Clean and tidy with good kitchen facilities. Staff were really friendly, smiling & helpful, or super rude, dropping f-bombs that you dare interrupt their conversation with friends for questions. Pot luck on who you get. Front desk was always closed earlier than the 22h00 advertised. WiFi was good when you got it, but hit and miss. Good location, supermarket across the street and CBD only 15 mins walk. Dorm was lockable, but no lockers. Beds comfortable. TV room basic but good.

This would be great for long term people... For one or two nights it was a bit alienating. The desk closed early, and we arrived to essentially no welcome or help. Also the layout was such that we had to disrupt everyone in the TV room to get to the bathrooms.