The Dwellington Reviews

8 Halswell Street, Thorndon, Wellington, New Zealand

Best kitchen in a hostel I have ever experienced

The Dwellington is a really nice place, clean, safe, pretty, well located, with confortable beds. Probably one of the best backpackers where I staid in NZ with reasonables and fair prices for a room. You'll quickly feel like at home ;-).

The hostel itself was OK, the room I stayed in was very spacious with comfy beds. It is the opposite side of the city to the main attractions but close to blue bridge ferry teminal. The main problem with it is there are a lot of long term people living there who took over the kitchen and common areas in the evening, meaning no 1 else had anywhere to socialise.

The hostel is good but overpriced!!

The best hostel in NZ without a doubt.

The room was rather sparse with no bedside table or lamp. Wifi was advertised but was only available if you were pretty much sitting on the receptionists knee!!so no use really. Friendly staff but with a few tweaks would have been a great stay. Instead was average at best.

• 3rd Feb 2015

Nice place, seemed to be over-run with permanent stay people. Just a weird vibe to the place. They seemed to have the run of the place and we were guests in their house. Just felt a bit off. Place was very messy also- kitchen with dishes, dirty towels left in our room, a corridor filled with shoes. Just a bit off. Has potential to be nice but wouldn't recommend people stay there

really nice hostel with a great spirit. Felt really safe and like home

Was told that this was an amazing hostel, and I wasn't disappointed! Lovely atmosphere- feels very homely and friendly. Takes about 20 minutes to walk into town but that's not a massive problem. Supermarket is only 3 minutes away. Quite a novelty to be opposite the American embassy! Room was clean, and even the top bunk was nice. I didn't want to leave!!

I stayed here on my return to Wellington, and found it friendly, clean, comfortable and central. They have also managed to create a good atmosphere here- it felt relaxed, but people were showing respect and clearing up after themselves.The location is quiet at night, , so I slept well, with no noise from passing trucks and other inner-city traffic.

I stayed at the dormitory room on the ground floor. The room was clean and has enough space. the bed was comfortable and I liked the wooden bed. However, the room is located just beside the kitchen so it was absolutely noisy untill midnight. I couldn't sleep untill 1a.m. and only one toilet on the ground floor so toilet was a bit busy. Overall not too bad to stay one night. oh the staff drove me and some guest to the ferry terminal in the morning which was very convenience.

The room was too small for five women. They must improve the connection to Internet: it doesn't work in the first floor.

Really liked the whole interior of this hostel. Really sturdy and comfortable bunkbeds, fancy kitchen and dining table. Nice.

One of the nicest hostels I've stayed in - everything was clean, staff were very helpful,

An absolutely fantastic stay. Easily the best hostel I've ever been in. Would highly recommend.

• 30th Dec 2014
  • New Zealand

Good: staff are helpful. Kitchen is big and nice. My room was huge. Bad: The hostel is quite far from the centre. The wifi doesn't really work.

Hostel is ok, but description on website is a bit misleading - nothing outstanding. Very loud.

a beautiful hostel, exquisite decor, very flashpacker, friendly staff who were very generous with their gin we had a fabulous time

This was one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in! Not only was it extremely clean and well kept, the dorm rooms are extremely spacious and you don't feel like cramped. The staff went well above and beyond my expectations! There was always someone there to answer questions and they genuinely seem so happy to be there. I would absolutely stay again. The only downside is the distance from the city center, but my amazing experience made me forget about that!

Perfect for a stopover as it's really close to the rail station and interislander ferry, you get a great mix of people passing through :) The room and facilities are top notch, most beds have electric ports, free wifi!! and the dorm rooms had tones of space, ours featured a psychiatrists sofa, not that you'll need one!!