The Flying Fox Reviews

190 Bathurst Road, Katoomba, Blue Mountains, Australia

A fantastic little hostel, cosy and extremely well run, with thoughtful additions like free breakfast, tea and coffee, biscuits in the evening and 'social time' between 6-9pm. This is how all hostels should be!

Group of people you meet really makes a difference but the dude goes out of his way to plan hiking routes.

Great team, friendly atmosphere! Best bit? No television! Just good old fashioned chin wagging.

• 11th Jul 2015

The Flying Fox was our first hostel. What a great way to kick off travelling! The staff were more than helpful with everything from what to expect at the hostel and what to do around the blue mountains. Couldn't have been friendlier. Lovely people who shared their stories and travels. The Flying Fox feels very homely, with its wood burning stove and comfort. Everything was very clean, breakfast, tea and coffee was provided and we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a twin for free! Great!

Amazing hostel, great atmosphere and family feel, Thank you so much, couldn't recommend enough

• 24th Jun 2015

Unfotunately no TimTams but the breakfast was good.

This was such a great place to stay in the mountains. So informative, warm and friendly!

• 11th Jun 2015

This was a lovely hostel! It was very welcoming and although we only stayed for one night, it was a warm and friendly atmosphere. Would highly recommend to anyone visiting the Blue Mountains!

This was my first stay in a hostel ever and I'm extremely glad I chose The Flying Fox. As a solo female traveller from America (where we don't have hostels and hear all kinds of false horror stories about them) I was very impressed with not only how safe I felt staying in the female dorm but how welcomed I was by everyone staying in the hostel! We had a great jam session during the family time from 6-9pm and it was awesome to hang with some really neat people. Stay here, you won't regret it!

• 2nd Jun 2015

If i had known thia hostel would be this amazing i would come all the way to the blue mountains for it and not for the views. no faults at all, it was perfect. thanks for a great stay!!

I loved the Flying Fox, ok it's not all mod cons and the rooms are what they are but the people there are what make it. A lovely big room with a wood stove where guests are asked to obey no phones/laptops between 6-9pm, so people can talk and connect. We had a big meal together for both my nights and this again gets people chatting, then games after dinner which where a real good laugh! It's in a good location close to the train station and main road through the town, which leads to the mountain

Awesome hostel, definitely going back.

Keep doing what you're doing! Keep it personal and small as it is, makes people feel welcome and comfortable. I would definitely return here, if I was to visit the Mountains again. Perfect hostel for a long weekend getaway!

• 1st May 2015

Best hostel I have stayed in. It seems to attract the most friendly and down to earth people. The kitchen is so clean and well equipped with condiments. The fire at night is lovely. Has a very homely feel to it. Social time is ace because people have to talk to each other. The staff are really nice. The manager is fair and approachable.

Really cosy, homely hostel. Loved the BBQ, great atmosphere in the evenings, wish we could have stayed longer!!

Best hostel I've stayed in, met some great people and had a really good time. Would definitely stay again

Lovely, homely hostel. Friendly atmosphere.

Best hostel we've stayed at yet. Chilled and friendly atmosphere, but also well-managed, clean and secure. Perfect base after hiking or just a good place to relax and get away from the bustle of Sydney! Social 'no screen' time in common areas in the evening was great as it helped people bond and have fun together. Didn't want to leave and will always recommend it!

We had a great stay in a spacious double room. The owner of the host was very helpful

Great hostel, amazing people, felt like being part of a big family from the first day on.

• 17th Mar 2015