The Flying Fox Reviews

190 Bathurst Road, Katoomba, Blue Mountains, Australia

Very Nice place and people. Definitely a place to stay longer and have good moments sharing with people.

One of the best hostels I've stayed at! Chill vibe and friendly people - overall great atmosphere! Social hour from 6-9pm helps travellers stay social and the free breakfast in the morning is a plus too. Everyone is really helpful in giving recommendations or tips for activities in the area. Also, front and back doors have a number lock and rooms have small lockers. Would stay here again!

Cat + Fireplace + Guitar = best evening ever

• 19th Jul 2014

My favorite hostel in all of Australia. I was only there for 2 nights, but I will remember the atmosphere and the people forever. :) Seriously, the Flying Fox is everything a hostel should be.

Awesome atmosphere

• 25th Jun 2014

I met awesome people at the fox. Every evening they had a special and there was a fireplace outside. Ross gave me really good suggestions for walks. I really liked the people and the atmosphere at the hostel. I loved the walks I did too, so I'd highly recommend this hostel. It was absolutely great.

Really lovely hostel, homely vibe and nice staff + free candadian pancake breakfast! Thanks!

It was my second time staying at this hostel and for the second time I had a great time! The owner Ross is great as well as the other staff. Friendly backpackers, very sociable environment and cosy and warm atmosphere. Great hostel.

Best hostel I've ever stayed at, hands down! Staff is super friendly, location is great, hikes are beautiful. $3 homemade pizza night ain't bad either. 6-9pm social hour with no internet is wonderful- in so many hostels people just sit plugged in. I would love, love to come back!!! Definitely stay here :)

• 3rd Jun 2014

I wish I'd been able to stay longer, this is the best hostel I've been to so far. Friendly, welcoming and homely, I felt like I was staying at a friends house. The only negative comment I could make is that the room I was in smelt a little of damp.

Couldn't fault this hostel it really is awesome, sad that we need to see a 'social time' being put in place (great idea BTW) due to the onslaught of people sitting on phones and laptops in hostels but this is wicked. Only thing I would say is $40 for a bike hire for 10 hours? you could get a car cheaper thats an insane price.

• 5th May 2014

Though the building itself is not the most beautiful and modern, the homly atmosphere and the nice staff make this hostel one of the best I've been to. There is a big community room with a fireplace and from 6 to 9 pm every electronical device is forbidden there so everyone is social. Realy nice. Also, the beds have curtains and you can rent really good bycicles for only 40$ a day (usually 100$)

Need more bathrooms for the amount of beds there are

Really nice place, owner is a fantastic guy. No issues really, but the long term stayers who live there are very clicky. Maybe could organize some evening events.

A quirky friendly hostel with excellend staff.

Great atmosphere, small friendly place, great choice for staying in the Blue Mountains

A wonderful place! Good people and great atmosphere make you stay longer.

• 30th Mar 2014
  • Finland

Feels just like home

Lovely hostel, perfect to get to the blue mountains walking trails, staff were excellent, really helpful and friendly. Had a chilled out atmosphere, and pasta night for $3 was great way to grt to know people.

Ross the guy that runs the hostel is fantastic. He'll tell you all the local knowledge straight off the bat. The hostel is really social and has a great communal area. There's even a hostel cat to snuggle with! The hostel itself could do with an extra bathroom. Apart from that though you could 100% use the hostel as your long term base for the Blue Mountains. Would stay there again.

View all Blue Mountains Hostels