The Flying Fox Reviews

190 Bathurst Road, Katoomba, Blue Mountains, New South Wales, Australia

A quirky friendly hostel with excellend staff.

Great atmosphere, small friendly place, great choice for staying in the Blue Mountains

A wonderful place! Good people and great atmosphere make you stay longer.

• 30th Mar 2014
  • Finland

Feels just like home

Lovely hostel, perfect to get to the blue mountains walking trails, staff were excellent, really helpful and friendly. Had a chilled out atmosphere, and pasta night for $3 was great way to grt to know people.

Ross the guy that runs the hostel is fantastic. He'll tell you all the local knowledge straight off the bat. The hostel is really social and has a great communal area. There's even a hostel cat to snuggle with! The hostel itself could do with an extra bathroom. Apart from that though you could 100% use the hostel as your long term base for the Blue Mountains. Would stay there again.

Exceelent hostel in a great location with a fantastic host, Ross (You are a legend) This hostel is a must, I wish I could have stayed much longer it is so relaxed, just like a home and very sociable. Ross gave some great advice on some stunning walks, the blue mountains are magnificent. Our walk ended with a mile to get back to the hostel and Ross even drove by the finish point to see if we needed a lift back, now that is service If you are planning on coming to the Blue Mountains stay here !

The advice given on the local area from staff here is top notch - I only had one day in the Blue Mountains and Ross' advice was second to none at ensuring I saw everything I wanted to and more in one day. Weather was pretty miserable while I was here, but the hostel vibe was great none the less - and "social time" of an evening was a big part of this. The bedrooms were big and clean / comfy, my only slight issue was only two bathrooms and the lack of power to the shower. Free breakfast too!

Small and nice hostel with a very familiar atmosphere. The host makes an effort to offer a nice stay. Further more he knows really good Walking tracks which he will explain to you if you ask. The living room is communicative and if you like, you always find there other people who will join you to play games, puzzle or make music.

• 2nd Mar 2014

I booked this hostel based on it's high rating for my friend and myself to stay at. I contacted the hostel prior to arrival asking if we could be in the same dorm room, when we arrived we discovered that we had been assigned to a double bed, as two male friends this was not ideal! Having supposed to have be an upgrade the owner contacted me and said he would refund our stay based on their mistake, since then after multiple contacts I have yet to see any progress on this matter, disappointing!!!!

The owner, Ross, is fantastic!

Its very international hostel, not dominated by anyone nationality. There are lots of people working there so its always being cleaned. There is no TV and people are really friendly so just ask them if they are going on a walk and if you can join them.

Felt like I was at my own house after minutes...:-)

• 16th Jan 2014

Ross is a great host and really cares about giving his guest a good experience by recommending the best bush walks and providing a good atmosphere to relax and meet people from all over the world- what hostelling should be about. The place has a lot of character, its clean, has a great kitchen, and nice common areas inside and outside. It's not a place for people to party, but great for those who love the outdoors and who want to kick back and have a few drinks with some fellow travellers.

• 13th Nov 2013

Great hostel. Not a typical city party place. Helpful information about local hikes. Lockers had power outlets in them, which was nice. Walking distance to food, main street, and attractions. Booked two nights and ended up staying a week. Would stay again.

best place in the world :) i'd love to come back!!!

• 3rd Nov 2013