The Fort Boutique Hostel Reviews

1 Little Stonegate, York, York, England

This hostel is located right in the centre of town! Impressed by the facilities such as the free washing and free hot chocolate. Apart from the malfunctioning heater in the room which made noises when you turned it up too high, it is a good stay.

Perfect location, but: Room was just above a bar/disco. Music was so loud that the beds were vibrating and you could sing a long on the music even if you were using earplugs. But if you are out until late it's no problem, since the music stops at 02am.

Overall the nicest, cleanest hostel I have ever stayed at, only issue was the noise from the club downstairs, couldn't believe it was actually vibrating up through the bunks! Had to sleep with earplugs and my headphones on top. But other than that, really lovely, and appreciated the 20% discount from the food at Kennedy's.

• 2nd Jan 2015
  • India

It's a very good hostel in the centre of York!

It an be loud at night because of two Clubs nearby.

• 18th Dec 2014
  • Switzerland

Lovely facilities with great kitchen, very clean and centrally located. However it is basically above a nightclub and was incredibly loud to the point where the walls were vibrating. It's a shame it's literally on top of what seems to be be only loud club in York as otherwise it would be a great. Some of the staff were not that friendly and reception is just the bar/club so some of the staff in there don't know what is going on with the hostel. Overpriced considering it's impossible to sleep.

super loud would be my downfall...otherwise awesome

Lots of privacy in the bunks but terribly uncomfortable beds.

You cannot beat this hostel for location, staff seemed nice enough, I didn't have too much interaction with them.

• 20th Nov 2014

I was only here for one night so can only comment based on that. Bedrooms and bathrooms were clean. Kitchen looked good however didn't get a chance to use it. Big bonus was the free washing machine and dryer use. Wifi was good. Only issue I had was that the beds weren't very comfortable.

One of the most excellent hostels I have been to. Wifi worked great. The kitchen had everything. Very clean. The receptionist personally took me upstairs to the dorm. More than a dorm it was like a nice room shared with 3 other civilized people. Great.

great place. It was a bit noisy at night but they supplied ear plugs.

The room was nice I was in the log cabin, bed was CRAZY uncomfortable and really springy, the pub downstairs was sooo noisy but I wear earplugs so it didn't bother me when they were in. It was the most expensive hostel I've stayed at including paris and London and think it's way too expensive given the huge noise factor and terrible beds I think they should use some money we give them and buy good beds! Kitchen and hot drink station was great !!

Amazing hostel. Very clean, wonderfull staff (especially the british lady that works in afternoon shift), very clean and big rooms. The only downside is the price, quite expensive for a hostel.

Clean and modern hostel. Unfortunately a part of the hostel (including common area) was rented for a private function and therefore not accessible. I missed some storage space (e.g. drawers underneath the bunk beds) and hooks for towels/cloths.

Excellent stay at this hostel. PROS: It's apartment style with a full kitchen, washer/dryer, tv room etc. The bar where you check in has VERY good food with reasonable prices. Nice soaps and linen in apartment. CONS: The bedroom itself was very small so we needed to leave luggage in the tv room. The bed had very sharp springs that dug into me. Street below was quite loud even on a week night. Overall, very good luxury hostel, just a shame about the beds.

Stayed in a private twin with en-suite. Room was nicely presented and had a TV. The shower was very powerful. The room got quite hot, probably 'cause it was almost in the roof. Apart from needing a few extra hooks - particularly in the bathroom - to hang clothes on, the only complaint we had was noise. The hostel is in a very central location which is really handy but the bar attached to it, Kennedy's, has a roof terrace which our room overlooked. People were out there 'til 2 am being very loud.

• 26th Sep 2014

Hostels was amazing located right in the heart of York. Showers worked great and the entire building was very clean. My one problem was the bar outside pumping a bass line till 3 am which was problematic when I wasn't in the mood to drink.

Such a lovely hostel! Wish we stayed longer!! The rooms were very modern, everything was clean and organised!! The showers were fantastic. Wifi was a bit iffy sometimes but overall was the best hostel we have stayed in for our entire trip

Excelent location, nice clean rooms, WiFi and free computers, big shared kitchen . Only downside is the loud music at weekends, since the Fort stays just above a pub.

• 4th Sep 2014