The Funky Dodo Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Hopkins Village, Hopkins, Belize

They could improve the comfort considerably by installing fans near the roof to vent out hot air out of the rooms. Other than that, the stay was fine. Other hostels in Hopkins seemed similar quality. They can hook you up with really good tours, which is nice.

The only thing funky about the Dodo is the smell from the mouldy dry wall. Prison-like exposed concrete walls in the sweltering private rooms make them some of the worst value in Central America. The showers were not as cold as advertised and the upstairs bar does catch some of breeze but these 2 facts don't do enough to justify this place.

Thanks for coming to stay with us I am sorry that you feel this way about The Dodo. As mentioned in another review recently we have refurbished and insulated 2 of the rooms in the last few weeks. Those 2 rooms were next on the list, we had only just finished building the new bathroom block & demolishing the old ones, fixing guest kitchen, planting trees, new fence, building furniture, refitting the bar. we have spent 1000's on the place and hundreds of hours of work in the last 5 months.

The Funky Dodo was a dump. We rented a private room and the dry wall was still showing, there was a hole in the wall where we could see to the outside, we had ants crawling through our tolietries bags. The appearance of the entire hostel was just unappealing. I don't think our private room was anywhere near worth $25 US/night. The kitchen also wasn't that well equipped and only one element worked on the stove.

• 17th Apr 2015

I am sorry you think the place is a dump... We have spent 18000USD on new bathrooms in March and the rooms have also been refurbished in the last few weeks since your visit. We have bought a new stove for the kitchen recently. We constantly upgrade and improve the place and keep it looking good and we spend all of our money on the Dodo. I am sorry that our budget does not meet your expectations. We do have to live also. Thanks for your review. Have a great trip.

Pretty basic hostel, we had a private room which was always boiling hot, and wasn't very clean. There was a nice crowd there- pretty chilled and friendly. The guy at the front desk was helpful, pointed us in the direction of Tina's restaurant which was amazing. We went on the snorkel trip organised by the hostel which was a really great day, was pretty expensive but overall probably worth it. The hostel itself is a little overpriced, but Belize is generally expensive so this is to be expected.

Hello. Thanks for coming to stay with us. I am sorry that your room was warm and that the cleanliness was not quite up to scratch. We have made several improvements to the place since your visit and the room where you were has been refurbished and insulated. I am glad you enjoyed out snorkeling tour and that your stay was pleasant. Many thanks

Funky Dodo is okay...Marlon the manager is quite nice, informative, and helpful. The area is nice, as are the outsides if the buildings and the roof top bar (I think this last one is the best feature, even as a light drinker). While it is cheap, I expected a slightly higher standard of cleanliness, and while the security is lax, I think most of the people staying and living in Hopkins are great, and met a few at the Funky Dodo...the showers and bathrooms were what got me to rate low

I can't work out why so many other reviews rate this place so highly. It is the worse place I've stayed for a long time. Dirty rooms and showers, a pillow made out of scrunched up plastic bags, terrible mattresses and a pervy guy at reception (possibly the owner) who 'welcomed' us with a crass 'joke'. His excuse when we asked if there were any other beds or pillows to use, because we didnt like the state of ours, was ''well this is a hostel'' isn't a good reason for bad cleaniless!

Awesome cozy little place, just 3 minutes walk from the beach. Typical beach hostel feeling. They organise tours and the atmosphere is good. Had a great time there! Staff is great!

Great location and staff, The set up of kitchen and sitting area conducive to meeting people - thoroughly enjoyed my stay there.

• 22nd Dec 2014

The stay here was great! You should rent a car and you can do whatever you want. The village is very safe and helpful. There are so many things to do in and around Hopkins. Marlon, Tanya, Ronnie and Will were very helpful. Thanks for the stay! Marlon helped with all our travel suggestions. Cheers! -Doug and Lindsay