The Funky Dodo Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Hopkins Village, Hopkins, Belize

I would return on my next trip

• 17th Apr 2014

Hostelworld.com actually cancelled our reservation before we got there. Luckily they had room for three girls. As an avid world traveler I will absolutely never go through Hostelworld.com again.

• 29th Mar 2014

We could've stayed and stayed! Loved the friendly laid back vibe and the facility is just the best I've ever been to! funky but clean enough, not too big, locals came to hang out in the upstairs bar in the trees which was great. Beach only steps away..great hammocks in the yard for lazy afternoons..Our groups included a 7yr old and she had all ball in the little pool with another little girl associated with the owner...just the right vibe for all of us..

• 24th Mar 2014

Great atmosphere, helpful staff, good location and easy to meet other travellers. Unfortunately it's not very clean, and as others have noticed many of the facilities are broken/falling apart.

It’s very rustic, so don’t expect any luxury! But that is the buzz! The atmosphere is very relaxed and welcoming. The bed was comfortable and I had no issues to complain. The bar is great to hang out and have some drinks at night. Just a few steps from the beach and right in the heart of the village (ATM, Markets, Restaurants).

It was my fault for not doing the research before hand. I didn't realize Hopkins was a village. There was not much to do there. The kitchen was poorly kept. They do have a pool now.

• 4th Mar 2014
  • Cambodia

Hello. l I do not understand how you came to that conclusion. There is a lot of things to do in and around Hopkins. That is why i built this hostel here. I know you do not realize this but what you wrote is potentially devastating for a small business owner like me. There are dive shops, endless snorkeling, sailing and fishing trips, lagoons where you can see crocodiles and 2 huge stunning nature reserves with waterfalls, zip lines and jaguars. The village itself is a cultural experience

Best place to stay in Hopkins, centrally located. Easy to meet other travellers. Easy-going staff. Good open kitchen to cook your own meal, enjoyble large blow up pool.

Good location just by the beach and right at the cross roads. Supermarket about 30 seconds away. Also a private room for two ppl is only $4bz more than the dorm so well worth it of you can! Only thing kitchen was pretty gross n fridge looked as though it hadn't been cleaned in months. Also, we saw food being left out for the dog in one of the frying pans, granted not by hostel other guests but regardless I don't like sharing my pans with dogs! Would stay again IF ever in Hopkins again.