The Funky Dodo Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Hopkins Village, Hopkins, Belize

Hostelworld.com actually cancelled our reservation before we got there. Luckily they had room for three girls. As an avid world traveler I will absolutely never go through Hostelworld.com again.

• 29th Mar 2014

Great atmosphere, helpful staff, good location and easy to meet other travellers. Unfortunately it's not very clean, and as others have noticed many of the facilities are broken/falling apart.

It’s very rustic, so don’t expect any luxury! But that is the buzz! The atmosphere is very relaxed and welcoming. The bed was comfortable and I had no issues to complain. The bar is great to hang out and have some drinks at night. Just a few steps from the beach and right in the heart of the village (ATM, Markets, Restaurants).

It was my fault for not doing the research before hand. I didn't realize Hopkins was a village. There was not much to do there. The kitchen was poorly kept. They do have a pool now.

• 4th Mar 2014
  • Cambodia

Hello. l I do not understand how you came to that conclusion. There is a lot of things to do in and around Hopkins. That is why i built this hostel here. I know you do not realize this but what you wrote is potentially devastating for a small business owner like me. There are dive shops, endless snorkeling, sailing and fishing trips, lagoons where you can see crocodiles and 2 huge stunning nature reserves with waterfalls, zip lines and jaguars. The village itself is a cultural experience

Best place to stay in Hopkins, centrally located. Easy to meet other travellers. Easy-going staff. Good open kitchen to cook your own meal, enjoyble large blow up pool.

Good location just by the beach and right at the cross roads. Supermarket about 30 seconds away. Also a private room for two ppl is only $4bz more than the dorm so well worth it of you can! Only thing kitchen was pretty gross n fridge looked as though it hadn't been cleaned in months. Also, we saw food being left out for the dog in one of the frying pans, granted not by hostel other guests but regardless I don't like sharing my pans with dogs! Would stay again IF ever in Hopkins again.

The Funky Dodo backpackers Hostel was a welcome stay. The staff was very accommodating and helpful, it had a good vibe. I would recommend it to any folks passing by the Hopkins area.

Maybe the only 'real hostel' in Belize. Very nice an laid back atmosphere. Nice stay in Hopkins!

I thoroughly enjoyed my time there, the staff was extremely pleasant and helpful in every way. The showers were always a bit chilly but it was usually so hot out that I (personally) didn't mind too much, I just wouldn't recommend one first thing in the morning. The hostel is mostly open air (including the kitchen) which is difficult to keep clean, but they do a nice job and the treetop bar is a fun place to hang out anytime of day. Would definitely go back & recommend to friends.

• 21st Dec 2013

This is a great hostel in terms of set up and location. My stay was marred slightly with a mix up in communication where the bar wanted to add my breakfast charge to room bill. I offered to pay this on check out but they said I had to go back to the bar. I forgot to do this (my fault) but they let themselves down with the accusatory communication afterwards. All settled now, but handled unprofessionally. Also they didn't deduct the deposit paid from booking on here so make sure you check.

This hostel is comfortable, convenient, and loads of fun! They've got a really nice set up with hammocks in the yard, a kitchen, and a nice bar. Will is building a tour agency too so he can arrange all kinds of trips for you. Just a warning, there isn't any hot water. Though honestly, you don't really need it in the consistently 85 degrees and humid weather. The wifi is good, the staff is super friendly, and the place is conveniently located right at the entrance of town. Enjoy!

Quiet little place in a quiet town.

Great stay, very nice and helpful owner. Perfect location for all that Hopkins has to offer!!

• 30th Oct 2013

Great location. Great atmosphere. Neat beach-shack architecture with wooden walkways and nice shady spots to hang out at and use the Wi-Fi. Across the road from King Manioc where you can get excellent food admire pretty waitresses and catch a ride almost anywhere. Get some mosquito coils and light them well before you go to bed.

when we first arrived at the Funky DoDo, there was no record of our reservation. the manager did not believe we had a two week reservation. luckily I had a copy of my reservations. since the hostel did not have a copy the room we stayed in was not properly cleaned. we experienced wood lice crawling on us from the wooden beds we slept in. we felt that the bathrooms and showers needed sanitizing on a regular basis. other than that it was pretty good for the price.

• 7th Jul 2013
  • All Female Group, 41+

What a great place to stay when arriving in Hopkins. It's located near the beach, good restaurants and shops nearby, friendly owner and staff, cool bar to hang out in, hammocks to hang out in, great food, fairly priced booze. OH and some friendly dogs. While I was here, I had the pleasure of hanging with a local dive master from the cayes. It was wonderful to get some local insight. I stayed in one of the private rooms with my girlfriend and we were comfortable though on the warm side. :D

• 26th Apr 2013

The hostal is okay. The kitchen could have had more things (like bowls, cutlery,...) And could be cleaner. The value for the money is really good and it is a nice place to stay in for a few days.

The bar was a lot of fun and it is a great location - so close to the beach.

The hostel is cool, and I met plenty of great people there, but I probably wouldn't recommend going to Hopkins. There are better, and more easily accessed parts of Belize in my opinion. Even if the lonely planet says otherwise.

Basic rooms and full of ants. But that was ok for us. It was so cheap. We stayed in a double private room. If you can adapt to a simple way of livng and shower with cold water, then you are fine with this hostel. The place need some maintenance. The nicest part was the bar where we were able to relax and have nice drinks. The beach is 2 minutes walk from the back of the hostel. The owners were very reserved and sometimes in bad mood and i didn't feel comfortable asking when I needed to.

I am quite sad to read your comments and I do not understand how you came to feel this way, I remember the day of your arrival as I was the person who checked you in, and I also remember offering you our assistance, help and information as we do for all out guests for every check in to make sure everyone’s stay is pleasant, however we did not hear a single mention of your various discomforts… Concerning the ants, for sure there are ants, we live in a tropical climate and there are plenty of insects in this neck of the woods, particularly if you have un sealed food of any kind, this is not a pest controlled environment and even it was so, in the most developed countries you are quite likely to find a spider in your room one day. If the bugs were so unpleasant for you, we would have done the most to make things better for you, but there was no mention of it to either of us or any the 4 staff who work on the property. I also read that you believe he hostel was in need of maintenance: Any business need maintenance, particularly when you arrive in a business that is in its early days, and still developing at times which was the case during your stay as the new kitchen was in under construction. Concerning the basic rooms and the cold water: I have myself that did not have functioning hot water however the price matched the name, cold water in commonplace in Belize unless you pay the price, you can not to expect to have the same comfort as a hotel when the price is 20.00 USD for the room, We run a back packers hostel and out wish is to accommodate people who are on the road and who are on a budget and offer them the best possible amenities, (free wifi, guest kitchen, hammocks, music, atmosphere, information desk, food and drinks at backpackers prices, lockers, laundry, guest fridges, comfortable seating, new bathrooms, gated security +more) I remember clearly serving you at the bar several times, and I never felt the slightest reservation that you mentioned, you did not show any signs of being or feeling uncomfortable. To the contrary, at check out when we asked you if everything was pleasant during your stay, you replied yes. I do not remember being in a bad mood what so ever, but just over worked with long days, as there are only 2 of us and we run the front desk, serve at the bar, handle the whole back office whilst building a kitchen and we do the best we can that you have everything you need from 6am till midnight every day. Some days we have more work to do than on other days, if this came across as grumpiness or a bad mood it is not the case. How can you say we were in a bad mood when we served you with a smile? A staff member who is in a hurry is because there is a lot of work to do and nothing to do with our mood… In the mean while I hope that the rest of your journey is pleasant and that we will continue here welcoming our guests with a smile and helping the travellers travel the world