The Funky Dodo Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Hopkins Village, Hopkins, Belize

Funky Dodo is okay...Marlon the manager is quite nice, informative, and helpful. The area is nice, as are the outsides if the buildings and the roof top bar (I think this last one is the best feature, even as a light drinker). While it is cheap, I expected a slightly higher standard of cleanliness, and while the security is lax, I think most of the people staying and living in Hopkins are great, and met a few at the Funky Dodo...the showers and bathrooms were what got me to rate low

I can't work out why so many other reviews rate this place so highly. It is the worse place I've stayed for a long time. Dirty rooms and showers, a pillow made out of scrunched up plastic bags, terrible mattresses and a pervy guy at reception (possibly the owner) who 'welcomed' us with a crass 'joke'. His excuse when we asked if there were any other beds or pillows to use, because we didnt like the state of ours, was ''well this is a hostel'' isn't a good reason for bad cleaniless!

Awesome cozy little place, just 3 minutes walk from the beach. Typical beach hostel feeling. They organise tours and the atmosphere is good. Had a great time there! Staff is great!

Great location and staff, The set up of kitchen and sitting area conducive to meeting people - thoroughly enjoyed my stay there.

• 22nd Dec 2014

The stay here was great! You should rent a car and you can do whatever you want. The village is very safe and helpful. There are so many things to do in and around Hopkins. Marlon, Tanya, Ronnie and Will were very helpful. Thanks for the stay! Marlon helped with all our travel suggestions. Cheers! -Doug and Lindsay

The staff there is very kind and nice.

I would return on my next trip

• 17th Apr 2014

Hostelworld.com actually cancelled our reservation before we got there. Luckily they had room for three girls. As an avid world traveler I will absolutely never go through Hostelworld.com again.

• 29th Mar 2014

We could've stayed and stayed! Loved the friendly laid back vibe and the facility is just the best I've ever been to! funky but clean enough, not too big, locals came to hang out in the upstairs bar in the trees which was great. Beach only steps away..great hammocks in the yard for lazy afternoons..Our groups included a 7yr old and she had all ball in the little pool with another little girl associated with the owner...just the right vibe for all of us..

• 24th Mar 2014

Great atmosphere, helpful staff, good location and easy to meet other travellers. Unfortunately it's not very clean, and as others have noticed many of the facilities are broken/falling apart.

It’s very rustic, so don’t expect any luxury! But that is the buzz! The atmosphere is very relaxed and welcoming. The bed was comfortable and I had no issues to complain. The bar is great to hang out and have some drinks at night. Just a few steps from the beach and right in the heart of the village (ATM, Markets, Restaurants).

It was my fault for not doing the research before hand. I didn't realize Hopkins was a village. There was not much to do there. The kitchen was poorly kept. They do have a pool now.

• 4th Mar 2014
  • Cambodia

Hello. l I do not understand how you came to that conclusion. There is a lot of things to do in and around Hopkins. That is why i built this hostel here. I know you do not realize this but what you wrote is potentially devastating for a small business owner like me. There are dive shops, endless snorkeling, sailing and fishing trips, lagoons where you can see crocodiles and 2 huge stunning nature reserves with waterfalls, zip lines and jaguars. The village itself is a cultural experience

Best place to stay in Hopkins, centrally located. Easy to meet other travellers. Easy-going staff. Good open kitchen to cook your own meal, enjoyble large blow up pool.

Good location just by the beach and right at the cross roads. Supermarket about 30 seconds away. Also a private room for two ppl is only $4bz more than the dorm so well worth it of you can! Only thing kitchen was pretty gross n fridge looked as though it hadn't been cleaned in months. Also, we saw food being left out for the dog in one of the frying pans, granted not by hostel other guests but regardless I don't like sharing my pans with dogs! Would stay again IF ever in Hopkins again.

The Funky Dodo backpackers Hostel was a welcome stay. The staff was very accommodating and helpful, it had a good vibe. I would recommend it to any folks passing by the Hopkins area.

Awesome hostel, right on the beach. Treetop bar is a great place to spend the evening. Dorm can be freezing cold (January) and no blankets are supplied. Hostel dog Luna is pretty much world's best pooch -a great companion around town

Maybe the only 'real hostel' in Belize. Very nice an laid back atmosphere. Nice stay in Hopkins!

I thoroughly enjoyed my time there, the staff was extremely pleasant and helpful in every way. The showers were always a bit chilly but it was usually so hot out that I (personally) didn't mind too much, I just wouldn't recommend one first thing in the morning. The hostel is mostly open air (including the kitchen) which is difficult to keep clean, but they do a nice job and the treetop bar is a fun place to hang out anytime of day. Would definitely go back & recommend to friends.

• 21st Dec 2013

This is a great hostel in terms of set up and location. My stay was marred slightly with a mix up in communication where the bar wanted to add my breakfast charge to room bill. I offered to pay this on check out but they said I had to go back to the bar. I forgot to do this (my fault) but they let themselves down with the accusatory communication afterwards. All settled now, but handled unprofessionally. Also they didn't deduct the deposit paid from booking on here so make sure you check.

This hostel is comfortable, convenient, and loads of fun! They've got a really nice set up with hammocks in the yard, a kitchen, and a nice bar. Will is building a tour agency too so he can arrange all kinds of trips for you. Just a warning, there isn't any hot water. Though honestly, you don't really need it in the consistently 85 degrees and humid weather. The wifi is good, the staff is super friendly, and the place is conveniently located right at the entrance of town. Enjoy!

« first « Prev 1 2 3