The Ginger Monkey Reviews

294 Zdiar, High Tatras, Slovakia

The Ginger Monkey is undoubtedly the coolest hostel I've ever been to. The staff was super friendly and always willing to help out and give guidance, whether it was with directions to a place or phoning around for info. Anything we needed, they helped out with. The hostel has a fantastic atmosphere, and is very communal and social with many nights being spent by people in the communal lounge or kitchen. It is also superbly located between many of the best hiking trails I have ever been on.

This hostel was like a home! I had such a wonderful time here, in the beautiful mountains with the fantastic staff and travellers. They will help you with anything you ask for and if you can make t for a Thursday night, they do an enormous, delicious and cheap feast! Daniela and Carolyne who work there are incredibly helpful and friendly, and Wally, Katy Perry and Kevin (the furry staff) are wonderful. I can't recommend this place enough, you won't regret staying here! :)

A 10 out of 10 hostel. If your looking to hike or even just chill out a few days from the city this is the place. The two girls managing will make you feel right at home and so will Wally the dog and the two cats. Set amongst some of the most beautiful scenery, you'll never want to leave.

Amazing vibe and perfect place to find peace and nice people!

It was as if I were staying at a friend's cottage. Great experience!

One of the best hostels we have ever stayed in! Caroline and Daniela (the staff) are so lovely and friendly and really made us and the other guests feel safe and comfortable, as if we just lived there! They cooked breakfast everyday, which was amazing! We had an incredible time, met lots of friendly people & we really hope to come back and live here one day. The hostel was easy to get to, the town was gorgeous, so much to see and do & the hostel was comfortable. They had animals too! We LOVE YOU

I don't even want to say hostel, Ginger Monkey felt like home. Carolina and Dani welcome you with open arms and accommodate every need. They know the area well and can advise you of everything what to do let alone fresh breakfast every day and sometimes dinner if yhe restaurants are closed. Added bonus of Wally, Kevin and Perry the resident dog and cats! Amazing hiking and great place to chill. Thanks for the stay guys, absolutely loved it.

Great location. The dog and cats are great fun. Ben was a great host, the town had lots to offer. The hike and scenery were amazing. Very relaxing atmosphere. Keen to visit again.

I had a great relaxing time at ginger monkey! It was very cozy and Ben and Caroline were really nice and very helpful. The beds were really comfortable and the kitchen facilities were better than most hostels I've stayed in. I will definitely be back!

Fantastic little hostel right in the middle of Zdiar. Very easy to access, close to a lot of the walks and has one of the best atmospheres I've ever experienced staying in hostels. Ben was really lovely and helpful and it's super sweet to be able to relax after a walk through the snow with a cup of tea and one of the two cats purring on your lap. There's also the loveliest little dog, called Wally, and a kick ass kitchen- highly recommend :)

The Ginger monkey is a cute place to be in the world and we had a great time there! The house was always rather cold however and lacked a wood burner or fire to really keep everyone happy I think. Also when we were there, it was just one young guy left in charge of the place - I think they would have benefited from having an extra person there or someone a bit more experienced, but he made a good go of it. All in all, I would recommend stopping by if you're in the Tatras!

Stunning Location. Hostel is extremely clean.. somany things to do in Ždiar. Hostel had a great atmosphere when I was there and was packed full of entertainment for the evening time.

Awesome hostel, really cosy, super clean place in a great location. The staff were amazing also, really good kitchen and yummy breakfast :-)

Awesome people and staff in an excellent location (cheap skiing/snowboarding by the mountains). The people were like a close knit family. Only issue I had was a little more information given about how things work would have been nice. Excellent and highly recommend.

Beautifully nestled in Slovakian, this cosy, comfortable hostel is kept together by some awesome staff who make it like hanging out at your friends house. Chill if yer like, or very cheap but delicious Tetratea if you want to make a night of it....or winepedos (its the altitude). Boarding round the corner was top notch and cheap. Its all good, stay here trust me. Apart from Kevin the cat. Thanks guys!

Best hostel ever if you enjoy being in the company of a load of friendly and chilled people. Manager Ben was brilliantly helpful and hospitable.. lounge was perfect for relaxed chats, group film watchings and drinking.. nice big kitchen for chatting while you cook.. went out for quite a few group meals to some really good local restaurants.. handy local shop for cheap drinks.. free regular ski bus to the nearby pistes.. beautiful scenery.. I suspect I'm going to have to return in summer. :D

This is the best hostel i've ever stayed at. The staff, the people it attracts, the vibe, everything was just awesome! I planned on staying 2 nights and stayed 8.. that says it all really! Miss this place so much. Well worth going completely out of your way for this little gem of a place. Thanks Ben, Diana and Matty!

Signed in especially to leave our first ever Hostel World rating for Ginger Monkey, because their worth it. Great warm welcome straight into a laid-back family atmosphere which meant we ended up extending our stay several times. Great base for the slopes (and Tatra Tea), for which sweet jumpsuits can be borrowed. Best kitchen yet and amazing views.

Love the Ginger Monkey! An amazing place to get outdoors and ski/board! Hostel has a chill, fun and comfortable atmosphere! Staff is friendly and fantastic, especially the Manager Ben and the cleaner Diana!!!!! Extended my stay several times just a great place!!

• 23rd Jan 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at The Ginger Monkey. The staff were friendly and knowledgable about the area and it really did feel like you were at home. I fully recommend this hostel to anybody.