The Ginger Monkey Reviews

294 Zdiar, High Tatras, Slovakia

I am alittle upset that hostelworld's best option for this stay was "excellent" as that is such an understatement. Our stay at the ginger monkey was by far the most amazing stop of our 4 month trip so far. The homily like hostel is kept to an immaculate standard and is swept, scrubbed and cleant more than is needed everyday. The staff- Ben, John and Coby have to be the best hostel workers we have come across and have now resulted in a great friendship. The ginger monkey is a must do

Love this place. Stunning scenery, great atmosphere, friendly staff (including Wally the dog, and Kevin the cat). You are immediately welcomed and made to feel like a member of a family. It can be a little bit of trek to reach this place but totally worth it once you're there. I shall return.

It's a bit of a hike to get to, but once you're here be prepared to continually ask to stay extra nights because there's so much to do and the people here make you feel like home. I booked two nights, I stayed five. Good kitchen for cooking, living room with tv, breakfast included, movie nights, places to eat within walking distance, easy access to the bus station for day trips, Wally and Kevin the hostel dog and cat. Loved it!

• 9th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

Lovely place; zdiar is a beautiful tiny village. The hostel is set a little up a hill and the views of the mountains are amazing. Good starting point for a 7 hour hike or short easy bus rides to other hikes such as the polish lakes. The staff who were managing the hostel when I was there (Ben and John) are great laid back guys and I felt welcomed and part of the family straight away. We all went out for dinner together each night. Great value for a basic all you need hostel :)

Fantastic place. Staff are friendly and helpful and facilities are good. There are some amazingly beautiful walks in this area and it is definitely worth vsiting here.

This is a great hostel - really friendly and encourages a homely atmosphere. They have lots of info about what you can do. Its a bit out of the way, but easily accessible once you know what you're doing.

The atmosphere is what makes this hostel a great place to stay. It is really chilled and more like a home from home. It is a brilliant place to relax in beautiful settings and plenty of ideas for activities, wish we'd have stayed longer!

Stay here!! You will not be disappointed!

Best hostel ever! I was planning on staying 3 nights and ended up extending my stay twice. The Ginger Monkey feels like home and the location is breathtaking; you have endless possibilities for hikes and day trips. Lovely staff and guests as well, totally recommended!!

Cool place, very cosy and warm. Pitty that wally was sick when we were there and that the paintball company didn't excist anymore :p

What can I say? This is the best hostel in the world? That is true but it is an understatement. You couldn't wish for anything more in a place to stay. The location is breathtaking. The staff are unbelievable. Wally is a gorgeous little beast. There's so much to do! Never have I felt more welcome. I've made friends for life here and I definitely will return one day! Love Jesse James

It is just a super chill relaxed place and the staff is very friendly, helpful and will take you for dinner or beers. I great place to meet other backpackers and just have a city break.

One of the best hostels in the world. Booked for 4 nights and stayed for 8.

You can stop looking, this is the best hostel there is.

Lovin' me some monkey!

Best hostel in Europe. Loved it! Amazing atmosphere and great people, both staff members and travellers!

Incredible Hostel. I found what I was looking for. Nice atmosphere and incredible staff. Highly recommended for all the people who is looking for a good experience in a genuine village with magnificent nature around.

Loved this place! It has everything you need

Really loved this place, worth the effort to and was in a beautiful location. Staff were really helpful and nice and checked us in early, I thoroughly recommend the hostel

We are older than other people at the hostel by about 20 years and were given a room in an adjoining building that was en suite for no extra cost

• 12th Aug 2014