The Ginger Monkey Reviews

294 Zdiar, High Tatras, Slovakia

This is absolutely the best hostel we have ever stayed in. You will end up falling in love and you will extend at least another night (everyone we met did) . Between the warm welcome and amazing staff always willing to help with directions, laundry or food to the amazing location in the tatra mountains. You will befriend the staff, the other travelers, and Wally (the dog). Seriously, book it right now. Thank you ginger monkey!!!

Hostel The ginger monkey has everything a hostel needs. Location, good staff, clean rooms, but that is not really important. What this hostel has is amazing atmosphere! The other Travellers all have interesting stories, there is plenty to do: hiking, going to an ice cave, to the Slovak Paradise, to castles and villages nearby. Every night there would be people playing games, people playing guitar and singing, or just conversation in the hammock. And of course, don't forget Wally the dogster!!

• 24th Jul 2015

This is by far the best hostel I have ever stayed at! The staff is absolutely amazing and everyone is incredibly friendly. No matter if you like hiking or not (hiking is fantastic here though) Ginger Monkey is worth a visit. Wifi connection is good, free breakfast, possibly the best dog in the world on site, there is nothing bad to say about this hostel. It is impossible to leave without having made several if not more friends.

Amazing hostel with the friendliest staff. Felt like part of a family!

The BEST hostel I've ever stayed in - I don't even know where to start & there is nothing I can fault! Fantastic staff and great atmosphere! It's a small hostel, so you instantly feel welcomed & you get to know everyone staying & working there. Chill in the hammock or around the campfire with an amazing dinner made by Caroline, play drinking games with your new family. Zdiar is stunning - beautiful hikes, river walks, fields for picking wild strawberries & places to take the dog Wally for walks.

Amazing place to stay in. Great atmosphere, nice people, perfect location.. Definitely will come back :)

• 16th Jul 2015
  • Slovakia

I have never fet more welcome at any other hostel. Every single person who work worked there was fantastic. Daniella was particularly helpful. The facilities were great and the vibe incredible. The area was so beautiful I could have stayed there a week. I miss this place already.

The 97% rating is too good to be true, right? Wrong.

Ginger monkey is perfect! Beautiful location, comfy beds, modern and clean showers, strong wi-fi, super helpful staff (shout-out to the couple from Coventry!), free breakfast and towel rental, a super cute dog, and most importantly an absolutely incredible atmosphere! From Chris and Charlie :)

One of the best atmospheres I ever experienced at an hostel in europe. Really cool backpackers, great staff (Jack, Daniela, Carolyne, you guys are awesome), amazing scenery, loads of outdoor activities available to do every day. If you get tired of the typical europe backpacker trail (city, city, city), this place is exactly what you need.

Ginger Monkey was the friendliest place; with incredibly hospitable staff/volunteers, the most relaxed atmosphere and cute hostel pets. The mountain views from the hostel were breathtaking and you could go for hikes straight from the hostel, as well as get to local restaurants. We absolutely loved staying at the Ginger Monkey and were very sad to leave - we stayed for two nights but would have booked to stay for longer if we hadn't had accommodation for our next destination already!!

Wow, where do I start - This place is like home..... I orignally booked 2 nights and as soon as I arrived I immediately extended for 5 more. Great staff - Caroline, Jack and Daniela were so helpful and kind! There is no such thing as a bad day here and there is ALWAYS something to do! I wish I had stayed longer and contemplate on being back! This hostel is very well maintained and clean. The atmosphere is full of good vibes and good people.asf you have an open mind, you will love this place!

The hostel staff went above and beyond to help out. The atmosphere was very friendly and the small village of Zdiar a great place to explore the High Tatras.

Great hostel, fantastic atmosphere, fantastic staff (especially girl on reception:)) Only negative is church´s bell - church is a few meters from hostel. If bell starts ringing at 7am, it´s finish for sleeping :) But it is village and it is normal. Great venue!

One of the most amazing hostels I've stayed at. Location was fantastic, close to many walks and easy to access from Poland or the rest of Slovakia. Staff were wonderful, so helpful and welcoming. Would definitely reccommend and would love to go back one day!

Great experience. More like staying with friends than at a hostel. Would stay here again. You have to like cats & dogs though.

The Ginger Monkey is undoubtedly the coolest hostel I've ever been to. The staff was super friendly and always willing to help out and give guidance, whether it was with directions to a place or phoning around for info. Anything we needed, they helped out with. The hostel has a fantastic atmosphere, and is very communal and social with many nights being spent by people in the communal lounge or kitchen. It is also superbly located between many of the best hiking trails I have ever been on.

This hostel was like a home! I had such a wonderful time here, in the beautiful mountains with the fantastic staff and travellers. They will help you with anything you ask for and if you can make t for a Thursday night, they do an enormous, delicious and cheap feast! Daniela and Carolyne who work there are incredibly helpful and friendly, and Wally, Katy Perry and Kevin (the furry staff) are wonderful. I can't recommend this place enough, you won't regret staying here! :)

Easily the best hostel we have stayed at. Such a great atmosphere here. Lots of fun things to do both at the hostel and around the area. Great starting point for hikes. The staff were so lovely, we were greeted with home made cake when we arrived! French toast cooked for us one morning, Vege indian feast cooked another night for dinner. We ended up extending our stay and did not want to leave! All the guests did the same whilst we were there! Do yourself a favour and stay at the Ginger Monkey!!!

A 10 out of 10 hostel. If your looking to hike or even just chill out a few days from the city this is the place. The two girls managing will make you feel right at home and so will Wally the dog and the two cats. Set amongst some of the most beautiful scenery, you'll never want to leave.