The Ginger Monkey Reviews

294 Zdiar, High Tatras, Slovakia

What can I say? This is the best hostel in the world? That is true but it is an understatement. You couldn't wish for anything more in a place to stay. The location is breathtaking. The staff are unbelievable. Wally is a gorgeous little beast. There's so much to do! Never have I felt more welcome. I've made friends for life here and I definitely will return one day! Love Jesse James

It is just a super chill relaxed place and the staff is very friendly, helpful and will take you for dinner or beers. I great place to meet other backpackers and just have a city break.

One of the best hostels in the world. Booked for 4 nights and stayed for 8.

• 30th Aug 2014

You can stop looking, this is the best hostel there is.

Lovin' me some monkey!

Best hostel in Europe. Loved it! Amazing atmosphere and great people, both staff members and travellers!

Incredible Hostel. I found what I was looking for. Nice atmosphere and incredible staff. Highly recommended for all the people who is looking for a good experience in a genuine village with magnificent nature around.

Loved this place! It has everything you need

Really loved this place, worth the effort to and was in a beautiful location. Staff were really helpful and nice and checked us in early, I thoroughly recommend the hostel

We are older than other people at the hostel by about 20 years and were given a room in an adjoining building that was en suite for no extra cost

• 12th Aug 2014
  • Couple, 41+

The best hostel for real backpackers!! We were so lucky for having the chance to stay two nights there, normally they are fully booked:) they have perfect view right outside, most lovely dog and cat, moreover, stuff are super super helpful and friendly! You won't find a better choice other than Ginger Monkey. Highly recommend.

• 11th Aug 2014
  • China

The hostel itself is nice and homely. I rated security as average as there are no lockers or locks on individual rooms. We enjoyed our stay except for one night when the staff had a party until 2:00am. Not only did we ask for the music to be turned down but the neighbour complained also. As paying customers this is really annoying as we had a big day of hiking the following day.

Awesome - Nicole and her team do a great job of keeping the hostel clean, running smoothly and a fun friendly vibe. They regularly are offering group dinners for guests, taking them out for meals in town, lots of info on hikes, booking trains etc etc. Only suggestion for improvement is better lockers in rooms. Zdair is a great place to come for either mountain relaxing or hiking or both. Put this on your list of places to visit and make sure you stay at the Ginger Monkey. Highly recommend.

Amazing environment to spend a few days relaxing in the mountains. The atmosphere was more like a home than a hostel, the staff were so welcoming with group meals and activities each night. Not to mention the cutest dog in the world, Wallie, who you can take with you on walks! Would thoroughly recommend to anyone!

• 26th Jul 2014

This place is like Pippi Longstockings house come to life. It's lively, fun, but also a bit chaotic, noisy (full of drunk and wild Aussies while we were there) and very dirty. The staff was made up of international volunteers who didn't have much knowledge about the local area. They also lost our reservation, but we were able to solve it anyway. All that being said, we still extended our visit and I would gladly go back again. But hopefully next time it will be a bit cleaner and calmer. :)

This hostel is more like being in a share house. All the staff and other travelers are friendly, warm and like minded. You will always find someone to go for a hike or have dinner with either at the hostel or a nearby restaurant. The location is unbelievably beautiful with a view of the Tatry mountains. A great place to get some time away from big cities, some wholesome exercise or just relax.

Incredible, incredible place - almost a home away from home! No complaints. Cannot wait to come back, I'm sure it will feel just like home still :)

• 5th Jul 2014

One of the best hostels I have ever stayed at. Superb atmosphere. Brilliant location. The most helpful staff ever. A real delight for the experienced backpacker.

Best hostel ever. I was so sad to leave this place, it felt like home.

The Ginger Monkey was amazing! It is the perfect place to kick back and chill out! It has breathtaking views of the surrounding Tatra mountains from the patio as well as some of the rooms. The staff worked hard to keep the place clean and running smoothly. They were also really cool people to hang out with. I highly recommend this place!