The Grapevine Reviews

75/76 Middle Street, Brighton, Brighton, England

The hostel needs some house work. The windows did not close properly and the entrance door would not close either which is quite dangerous. The bathroom had mold in the walls, the shower door was quite dirty and for some reason there was a mouse trap near the toilet. We also had a hole on the floor and the carpet was really really dirty.

• 23rd May 2015
  • Portugal

When when checked in there was a 1 min walk around the corner to our room which we didn't mind, the room was simple it's ideal if your there for clubbing, there were four guys in our room which me and my friend were abit unsure about as were both girls but when we met them they were great and ended up spending the weekend with them , it's next to all main clubs! Bed was uncomfortable! It was just a standard room but everyone was so lovely and the view was great! Maybe a tad over priced id go bac

• 15th May 2015

Not as bad as other reviews say. You get what you pay for, a relatively comfy bed and clean sheets. Perfect for one or two nights max.

• 11th May 2015

Overall my one night stay was ok for the price. Great location, quiet enough room. My main concern was the uncleanliness of the ensuit bathroom. The communal toilet was kept in a much cleaner state.

The Hostel defenitly need a place to hang around, like a terrace or a living room area with games or a little outside bar.

• 2nd May 2015
  • Chile

Way too expensive, not worthy at all. Rooms were dirty, very noisy at night.

Although we did have a minor issue with the room, the staff were very helpful in resolving the issue, thanks again

• 24th Apr 2015
  • Wales

The location was excellent, near to Brighton pier, royal pavilion and not far from city centre. However, the facilities were not equipped. A stay for one night as a break will be alright though.

I booked to stay for Saturday and Sunday nights as I went down to run the Brighton Marathon. But the loud music from the bar downstairs kept me awake all night and I ended up checking out on Sunday as I was really tired after running the marathon and the fact that I didn't get any decent sleep. Apart from that, the location is good with a great view of the sea and the staff are really nice.

• 11th Apr 2015

The Hostel supposedly had free wi-fi, but there was no wifi in the rooms, and even the wifi in the reception area was sometimes difficult to connect to. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the location on Middle St was impeccable -- my front door was literally across the street from the beach. Some friends of mine had cleanliness issues (bird poop on a pillow?!), but I personally found my room to be pretty clean. The price was too high for no breakfast and no in-room wifi.

The staff was really nice, however the room was cold all the time, as the isolation was not good, there was no wifi, no breakfast, and the carpet was dirty. We took the private 3 bed room and were expecting something better as we paid 17 pounds per bed per night. If it was 10 pounds per bed I would be fine with it, but it was too expensive for what it was.

The room was good including the bathroom. Not so impressed by the kitchen cleanliness and facilities i.e. lack of basics such as plates, mugs, saucepans without handles, burnt frying pans/woks, fridge in need of a clean / defrost. Some cupboards for leaving dried food not easy to open, needing a lever such as knife. Some of the staff were complaining to residents about the cleanliness but it did not appear that it was being cleaned by any staff during my two days. I did some cleaning myself.

• 27th Mar 2015

The staff were nice but the room was really bad. Skinny iron beds with thin, uncomfortable mattresses, no wardrobe and dirty walls. Other residents were passed out on the hall when we can back, another guy was trying to kick in the front door for half an hour.

• 12th Mar 2015

The location was absolutely fantastic, literally a 5 minute walk to the Laines, 1 minute walk to the Brighton Pier. Absolutely brilliant. Staff were incredibly welcoming, informative and friendly. The walk up to our room was quite unclean, smelt bad and just felt generally unclean. The room was very spacious with great washing facilities, however it would have been very helpful to have a full length mirror. The door to our room was also a bit dodgy, incredibly difficult to lock.

• 20th Feb 2015

For what it is, £20 a night is fair. No thrills, just accomodation

• 7th Feb 2015

This hostel was good but the restaurant in the ground floor was so noisy at the night. The woman who stayed same room had trouble because she couldn't sleep at that night as well.

• 31st Jan 2015
  • Japan

If you looking for a very cheap room with bed and shower at an excellent location, thats a perfect hostel! The staff are extremly helpfull!

• 23rd Jan 2015
  • Hungary

We didn't use the communal areas of the hostel, so it would be difficult to pass comment on those. However, we was a group of 6 adult sharing one room with an en-suit and we had a Ball. The location is excellent, right on the beach front and a short distance form the lanes, the window in our room looked out on to the sea. The pub on the same road as reception is wonderful, reasonably priced for food and drink with a great range of ales and sprits. We had a great time in Brighton.

• 16th Jan 2015