The Grapevine Reviews

75/76 Middle Street, Brighton, Brighton, England

I spent one night here with friends, where we stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm. We where all very disappointed with the experience. Firstly it wasn't the cheapest place to stay but the location was rather good. Unfortunately that was the only positive the hostel was run down and very dark and gloomy. There where no lockers available and are belongings felt very vulnerable, the sleep facilities where poor and our room being directly under a 24hr fast food bar provided a very bad sleep and stay.

There was a rat trap under my bed. The room smelt terrible. The showers had no pressure. Our window didn't close so we heard the noise of the clubs all night. The building was so flimsy we could hear everything, it felt like the people upstairs we're going to fall through the roof. Lovely staff. But that's all this place has.

• 16th Jul 2015

Great location right beside the beach front.... But that is all it has going for it. One toilet and one shower in the entire hostel and the carpets are filthy everywhere. Lying on the beds you can feel mattress springs dig into your back. The shower does not keep a constant temperature and fluctuates from extremely hot to extremely cold and you can only rinse off while it is in the in between temperature for ~ 10 seconds. Also, it's a dribbling stream.. ENJOY your stay... Beware.

• 11th Jul 2015

Great location, nice and helpful staff. Rooms are what they are but for the price you can't really complain. First time in Brighton and would come here again.

No late check in Not very welcoming staff Unhygenic towel area On main road Seperate from the main reception area shabby decor Smells like a pet show Insecure door No furniture Looks like an old hospital Bad view Noisy outside from the kitchen Low ceilings in the bathroom Large deposit Expensive hostel Good points - good water pressure and hot water, good location opposite the beach

dirty sheets, noisy and dirty bathroom. no lockers in the bedroom

The hostel was gloomy sort of like a horror film. I then tried to wash but there was no hot water. There was no common room, no kitchen, no kettles and no mirror in the room. The beds were very uncomfortable, my back and neck really hurt the next day, check out was 11 which was a decent time however the cleaner turned up at 10am and there was 0 security

• 2nd Jul 2015

bad about the hostel. very dirty. kitchen too far from the rooms, Good,the receptionists are very friendly and helpful . great view from the rooms,and very good location

Perfect location for a weekend out in Brighton especially if you have the back street view. Good value for money. Horrible smell in the stair case and constant noise in the room from the restaurant fridge fan. The hostel does the job, expect the minimum standard from it.

Toilet was blocked, no toilet roll left, no sink in the bathroom, tiles around shower grimey and bathroom floor very wet. The rooms themselves were fine.

• 19th Jun 2015

Overall, not a bad stay. The best thing is location right on the seafront & shops/restaurants. I did have a few issues. The bathroom door didn't lock. The shower took a while to heat up & whe it did, it got too hot & I couldn't get near taps to adjust it without getting burnt. And the security deposit I paid (£20 per person) I paid via card & when I checked out the staff member said deposit would go back onto card automatically without me having to put card in machine which seemed a bit dodgy.

Don't get put off by reviews. The location couldn't be better - practically on the beach, a minute from clubs, bars and fish and chips, a few streets from the Lanes and really easy to find especially from the train station. All doors were kept locked, the staff were friendly and helpful and although the room was small and did get noise from the street we had a clean sink and soap, full length mirror and towel rails in the room. The toilet was always clean and the shower in there looked modern.

• 13th Jun 2015

Bathrooms were filthy. Drains clogged so water filled to your ankles. Beds bent

Customer service was very poor. We asked for some heating as the temperature outside was 13C -during summer season- and our window was facing the sea meaning that with this crazy wind 43km/h you could feel the cold even more. It was also leaking since it was raining but no one seemed to care apart of this young guy at the reception that said he will try to fix it or give us some extra blankets. 2 mins later the rudest guy ever appears offending us and being arrogant. The manager..to be continued

• 1st Jun 2015
  • Greece

I have been in a lot of hostel around the world and that is the worst I have been so far. The check in was alright at 6pm. Then I went to the room and it was dirty. I decided to go out to explore the city. I tried to lock the door and it didn't work. So I try to go at the reception to tell them and have another key but it was full of people complaining about the place... The reception close at 8pm and I wait until 8.15pm to have a new key. Had a new one and surprised it doesn't work neither!!

• 1st Jun 2015

The dormroom is good, unfortunately there is no kitchen or living room.

Poor bathroom

The hostel needs some house work. The windows did not close properly and the entrance door would not close either which is quite dangerous. The bathroom had mold in the walls, the shower door was quite dirty and for some reason there was a mouse trap near the toilet. We also had a hole on the floor and the carpet was really really dirty.

• 23rd May 2015
  • Portugal

The room was comfortable and clean, and the service was excellent - the receptionist was happy to give me tips about where to go and what to see, and the maintenance man obligingly helped my open a faulty lock on my luggage. Unfortunately the facilities were not so good - the light in the bathroom closest to our room did not work and we did not use the kitchen because it did not look clean. For the price and location (easy walk from the train station) however, it was good value for money.

When when checked in there was a 1 min walk around the corner to our room which we didn't mind, the room was simple it's ideal if your there for clubbing, there were four guys in our room which me and my friend were abit unsure about as were both girls but when we met them they were great and ended up spending the weekend with them , it's next to all main clubs! Bed was uncomfortable! It was just a standard room but everyone was so lovely and the view was great! Maybe a tad over priced id go bac

• 15th May 2015