The Grapevine Reviews

75/76 Middle Street, Brighton, Brighton, England

I booked to stay for Saturday and Sunday nights as I went down to run the Brighton Marathon. But the loud music from the bar downstairs kept me awake all night and I ended up checking out on Sunday as I was really tired after running the marathon and the fact that I didn't get any decent sleep. Apart from that, the location is good with a great view of the sea and the staff are really nice.

• 11th Apr 2015

The Hostel supposedly had free wi-fi, but there was no wifi in the rooms, and even the wifi in the reception area was sometimes difficult to connect to. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the location on Middle St was impeccable -- my front door was literally across the street from the beach. Some friends of mine had cleanliness issues (bird poop on a pillow?!), but I personally found my room to be pretty clean. The price was too high for no breakfast and no in-room wifi.

The staff was really nice, however the room was cold all the time, as the isolation was not good, there was no wifi, no breakfast, and the carpet was dirty. We took the private 3 bed room and were expecting something better as we paid 17 pounds per bed per night. If it was 10 pounds per bed I would be fine with it, but it was too expensive for what it was.

The room was good including the bathroom. Not so impressed by the kitchen cleanliness and facilities i.e. lack of basics such as plates, mugs, saucepans without handles, burnt frying pans/woks, fridge in need of a clean / defrost. Some cupboards for leaving dried food not easy to open, needing a lever such as knife. Some of the staff were complaining to residents about the cleanliness but it did not appear that it was being cleaned by any staff during my two days. I did some cleaning myself.

• 27th Mar 2015

The staff were nice but the room was really bad. Skinny iron beds with thin, uncomfortable mattresses, no wardrobe and dirty walls. Other residents were passed out on the hall when we can back, another guy was trying to kick in the front door for half an hour.

• 12th Mar 2015

The location was absolutely fantastic, literally a 5 minute walk to the Laines, 1 minute walk to the Brighton Pier. Absolutely brilliant. Staff were incredibly welcoming, informative and friendly. The walk up to our room was quite unclean, smelt bad and just felt generally unclean. The room was very spacious with great washing facilities, however it would have been very helpful to have a full length mirror. The door to our room was also a bit dodgy, incredibly difficult to lock.

• 20th Feb 2015

For what it is, £20 a night is fair. No thrills, just accomodation

• 7th Feb 2015

This hostel was good but the restaurant in the ground floor was so noisy at the night. The woman who stayed same room had trouble because she couldn't sleep at that night as well.

• 31st Jan 2015
  • Japan

If you looking for a very cheap room with bed and shower at an excellent location, thats a perfect hostel! The staff are extremly helpfull!

• 23rd Jan 2015
  • Hungary

We didn't use the communal areas of the hostel, so it would be difficult to pass comment on those. However, we was a group of 6 adult sharing one room with an en-suit and we had a Ball. The location is excellent, right on the beach front and a short distance form the lanes, the window in our room looked out on to the sea. The pub on the same road as reception is wonderful, reasonably priced for food and drink with a great range of ales and sprits. We had a great time in Brighton.

• 16th Jan 2015

There was no sink in the toilet, you had to touch 3 door handles to get back to your room to wash your hands . Wasnt the nicest or cleanest of places but fine for a drunk crash out.

• 8th Nov 2014
  • Scotland

Great room with sea view, room was tidy and staff friendly..very good value for money and excellent location

• 7th Nov 2014

This should be called the raisin not the grapevine. The rooms were filthy including but not limited to the bathroom, sheets, walls, carpets, etc. We literally didn't shower because we didn't know what diseases we might catch. We wore plastic bags on our feet because it was that's disgusting. We were also greeted by the creepiest man in the window. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• 18th Oct 2014

Just don't bother. Pay an extra couple of quid for somewhere else and avoid the dingy atmosphere, outdated toilet facilities, staff who don't really care, loud banging and squeaking doors all night, severe lack of plugs, absolutely no mirrors, no toilet roll. Location is spot on though so might be fine for a stag do who just want a bed. Basically an attempt to fit as many bunk beds in a room as possible.

• 4th Oct 2014
  • Wales

My friend and I managed to stay in our own room, which also had a bathroom. Room very basic (another pillow would of been nice as they're very flat), and was clean. Staff were helpful at reception. The only issue we had was the noise. Got woken up a lot throughout the night by others coming in and out of the hostel, lots of shouting/drunken behaviour.

• 27th Sep 2014

The staff was really nice and helpful! Unfortunately it was incredibly noisy at night and very hard to sleep... Loud music and yelling people until the early morning (even during the week). And it didn't make a difference with a closed window because it didn't close properly. It's hard to find enough cutlery in the kitchen and it closes very early (8pm). There's only internet in the main building and it's way too slow. So if you really need it(e.g. for work), you have to go to an internet cafe

The room is very small, with a low ceiling, quite dark (not much sunlight comes in), and noisy (we could hear people talking in the hallways). Check-in was not with the greatest customer service: arriving at 1pm we were told that check-in is only allowed from 2pm (they didn't check whether the room was being cleaned or actually already available), and only upon arrival we were told an additional £40 security deposit had to be paid on top of the hostel room price.

• 20th Sep 2014
  • All Male Group, 31-40

Absolutely love it there. Would be better if the kitchen had 24hr access though as some people work late hours.

• 16th Sep 2014

Small little hostel right by the beach. Not much of an atmosphere/area where everyone stays, but right by the beach and bars which is all you really need in a hen/stag party place!

It was the most awful weekend I ever had in my life, I have been to Berlin and I've stayed at hostel but to compare German quality to this will take ages, first there is no lockers, no safety other than you hope that ur room martes is not tkaibgbur stuff, the window is broken and the beds woolly, the sheets are dirty, I'm short guy but boy that what they call toilet was smaller than a dog house, and no sink, the shower is one! For inter place and tgeyknow they don't work!

« first « Prev 1 2 3