The Grapevine Reviews

75/76 Middle Street, Brighton, Brighton, England

Perfect location for a weekend out in Brighton especially if you have the back street view. Good value for money. Horrible smell in the stair case and constant noise in the room from the restaurant fridge fan. The hostel does the job, expect the minimum standard from it.

Toilet was blocked, no toilet roll left, no sink in the bathroom, tiles around shower grimey and bathroom floor very wet. The rooms themselves were fine.

• 19th Jun 2015

Overall, not a bad stay. The best thing is location right on the seafront & shops/restaurants. I did have a few issues. The bathroom door didn't lock. The shower took a while to heat up & whe it did, it got too hot & I couldn't get near taps to adjust it without getting burnt. And the security deposit I paid (£20 per person) I paid via card & when I checked out the staff member said deposit would go back onto card automatically without me having to put card in machine which seemed a bit dodgy.

• 18th Jun 2015
  • Wales

Don't get put off by reviews. The location couldn't be better - practically on the beach, a minute from clubs, bars and fish and chips, a few streets from the Lanes and really easy to find especially from the train station. All doors were kept locked, the staff were friendly and helpful and although the room was small and did get noise from the street we had a clean sink and soap, full length mirror and towel rails in the room. The toilet was always clean and the shower in there looked modern.

• 13th Jun 2015

Bathrooms were filthy. Drains clogged so water filled to your ankles. Beds bent

Customer service was very poor. We asked for some heating as the temperature outside was 13C -during summer season- and our window was facing the sea meaning that with this crazy wind 43km/h you could feel the cold even more. It was also leaking since it was raining but no one seemed to care apart of this young guy at the reception that said he will try to fix it or give us some extra blankets. 2 mins later the rudest guy ever appears offending us and being arrogant. The manager..to be continued

• 1st Jun 2015
  • Greece

I have been in a lot of hostel around the world and that is the worst I have been so far. The check in was alright at 6pm. Then I went to the room and it was dirty. I decided to go out to explore the city. I tried to lock the door and it didn't work. So I try to go at the reception to tell them and have another key but it was full of people complaining about the place... The reception close at 8pm and I wait until 8.15pm to have a new key. Had a new one and surprised it doesn't work neither!!

• 1st Jun 2015

The dormroom is good, unfortunately there is no kitchen or living room.

Poor bathroom

The hostel needs some house work. The windows did not close properly and the entrance door would not close either which is quite dangerous. The bathroom had mold in the walls, the shower door was quite dirty and for some reason there was a mouse trap near the toilet. We also had a hole on the floor and the carpet was really really dirty.

• 23rd May 2015
  • Portugal

The room was comfortable and clean, and the service was excellent - the receptionist was happy to give me tips about where to go and what to see, and the maintenance man obligingly helped my open a faulty lock on my luggage. Unfortunately the facilities were not so good - the light in the bathroom closest to our room did not work and we did not use the kitchen because it did not look clean. For the price and location (easy walk from the train station) however, it was good value for money.

When when checked in there was a 1 min walk around the corner to our room which we didn't mind, the room was simple it's ideal if your there for clubbing, there were four guys in our room which me and my friend were abit unsure about as were both girls but when we met them they were great and ended up spending the weekend with them , it's next to all main clubs! Bed was uncomfortable! It was just a standard room but everyone was so lovely and the view was great! Maybe a tad over priced id go bac

• 15th May 2015

Not as bad as other reviews say. You get what you pay for, a relatively comfy bed and clean sheets. Perfect for one or two nights max.

• 11th May 2015

Overall my one night stay was ok for the price. Great location, quiet enough room. My main concern was the uncleanliness of the ensuit bathroom. The communal toilet was kept in a much cleaner state.

The Hostel defenitly need a place to hang around, like a terrace or a living room area with games or a little outside bar.

• 2nd May 2015
  • Chile

Way too expensive, not worthy at all. Rooms were dirty, very noisy at night.

Although we did have a minor issue with the room, the staff were very helpful in resolving the issue, thanks again

• 24th Apr 2015
  • Wales

The location was excellent, near to Brighton pier, royal pavilion and not far from city centre. However, the facilities were not equipped. A stay for one night as a break will be alright though.

I booked to stay for Saturday and Sunday nights as I went down to run the Brighton Marathon. But the loud music from the bar downstairs kept me awake all night and I ended up checking out on Sunday as I was really tired after running the marathon and the fact that I didn't get any decent sleep. Apart from that, the location is good with a great view of the sea and the staff are really nice.

• 11th Apr 2015

The Hostel supposedly had free wi-fi, but there was no wifi in the rooms, and even the wifi in the reception area was sometimes difficult to connect to. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the location on Middle St was impeccable -- my front door was literally across the street from the beach. Some friends of mine had cleanliness issues (bird poop on a pillow?!), but I personally found my room to be pretty clean. The price was too high for no breakfast and no in-room wifi.

« first « Prev 1 2 3