The Grapevine Reviews

75/76 Middle Street, Brighton, Brighton, England

Had a lovely time, would definitely stay again.

• 28th Nov 2015

We booked the stay via hostel world.com. Upon arrival the porter denied us entry saying they were fully booked even though I showed him our reservation booking. After being refused accommodation we had to rebook with a different hostel. Once we made the booking and had paid for we received a call from Grapevine saying our booking is now available. Their treatment to is was so unprofessional considering we had booked and paid deposit only to be denied entry then rang 30mins later. Beware.

Shower didn't work properly, water was always changing from too hot to too cold which made it difficult to have a proper shower, convenient location but can be noisy (saturday night)

• 7th Nov 2015

Clean the place.

• 10th Oct 2015

Friendly flexible staff and sufficient space inside the rooms. The building I was in was on the beachfront, so a great location within the city.

You definitely get what you pay for. If you're looking for luxury you're better off at the Hilton down the road but for £10 it had everything a group of people would need; a bed, a shower, a toilet and a sink. Staff were friendly too... There was a mix up with our room so they gave us a 6 bed dorm instead of a 4 but we didn't have to share which was good. Best part is definitely the location right on the seafront and right above a cafe!!

• 9th Oct 2015

Amazing location by the beach. Staff was kind and I feel very welcomed, I was checked in at 10:30, what is always a plus! On the downside, just one socket in the room (an extension cord would have been very useful), and the cleanliness in the bathrooms. Price was quite low, so excellent value for money in my opinion!

Great location but not very clean with broken windows and broken shower and very poor facilities.

There was a mix up whether I had booked 1 person or 4 people. But somehow they managed to have me listed as a booking for 3 people even though they only gave me one bed for my party of 4. How can so many things be incorrect Reception closes way too early but nightman was nice Pretty sure I got bitten in the bed. It was comfy but that's put me off. Coked up room mates (although this is no fault of the hostel itself) who go through your bag while you are sleeping. Would not recommend.

• 26th Sep 2015

The hostel is too expensive for what you get. Washrooms were dirty and not in a sufficient number for all the guest. The location is great though.

Great location if you can handle the noise from the 24hour cafe downstairs. Beds were extremely uncomfortable.

• 18th Sep 2015

staff are complete bellends

• 16th Sep 2015
  • British Virgin Islands

Very nice stay. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Bathroom had good shower and clean facilities. Location was perfect. Excellent value and we will come back again.

• 30th Aug 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Great location. Bit dirty and musty. Bathrooms and toilets quite new though.

The stay was fine but not many people. There was no atmosphere really and it's cheap so it's good if you just want a bed and to head out but that's about it

Great sea views in the triple room. There was plenty of space and a good sized private bathroom. The outside noise was quite noticeable as you are very close to clubs. It is a it of a rabbit warren and you do have to go out of the building and around the corner to get to the lounge and kitchen facilities if you are staying in the seafront. We have stayed in worse and you can't expect luxury for these prices. The staff were very friendly and helpful, including the maintenance guys.

• 24th Aug 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Pictures look nothing like what you get, the place looked and felt like a drug den. I would not recommend to a friend.

• 22nd Aug 2015
  • Wales

The location is really good. Just next to the seaside. TOO NOISY in the night with pubs keeping parties downstairs. It's more expensive in Saturday night. The linen is not clean enough. I covered myself with my own coat.

This should be a last resort if you need a place to stay in Brighton. Incredibly noisy, horrible cramped little corridors, dark...dingy, toilets in a hell of a state - I will spare the details. Creaky beds, rubbish showers, kitchen a joke, common room underground and windowless. Only use this place if you are planning a weekend out, will be returning late and dont care too much whether you sleep or not.

The seafront hostel is in a separate building round the corner. It is nestled in between two restaurants. The entrance is a bit like a fire escape and then you go through very narrow staircases and corridors to get to the rooms. I stayed in a 6 person dorm, the bed was comfortable enough and the bathroom was very basic but clean enough and had a decent shower head. My room had a sea view which was nice but the room was very stuffy, but at £9 a night it does it's job, it's a place to crash.

• 10th Aug 2015