The Grapevine Reviews

75/76 Middle Street, Brighton, Brighton, England

There was no sink in the toilet, you had to touch 3 door handles to get back to your room to wash your hands . Wasnt the nicest or cleanest of places but fine for a drunk crash out.

• 8th Nov 2014
  • Scotland

Great room with sea view, room was tidy and staff friendly..very good value for money and excellent location

• 7th Nov 2014

This should be called the raisin not the grapevine. The rooms were filthy including but not limited to the bathroom, sheets, walls, carpets, etc. We literally didn't shower because we didn't know what diseases we might catch. We wore plastic bags on our feet because it was that's disgusting. We were also greeted by the creepiest man in the window. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• 18th Oct 2014

Just don't bother. Pay an extra couple of quid for somewhere else and avoid the dingy atmosphere, outdated toilet facilities, staff who don't really care, loud banging and squeaking doors all night, severe lack of plugs, absolutely no mirrors, no toilet roll. Location is spot on though so might be fine for a stag do who just want a bed. Basically an attempt to fit as many bunk beds in a room as possible.

• 4th Oct 2014
  • Wales

My friend and I managed to stay in our own room, which also had a bathroom. Room very basic (another pillow would of been nice as they're very flat), and was clean. Staff were helpful at reception. The only issue we had was the noise. Got woken up a lot throughout the night by others coming in and out of the hostel, lots of shouting/drunken behaviour.

• 27th Sep 2014

The staff was really nice and helpful! Unfortunately it was incredibly noisy at night and very hard to sleep... Loud music and yelling people until the early morning (even during the week). And it didn't make a difference with a closed window because it didn't close properly. It's hard to find enough cutlery in the kitchen and it closes very early (8pm). There's only internet in the main building and it's way too slow. So if you really need it(e.g. for work), you have to go to an internet cafe

The room is very small, with a low ceiling, quite dark (not much sunlight comes in), and noisy (we could hear people talking in the hallways). Check-in was not with the greatest customer service: arriving at 1pm we were told that check-in is only allowed from 2pm (they didn't check whether the room was being cleaned or actually already available), and only upon arrival we were told an additional £40 security deposit had to be paid on top of the hostel room price.

• 20th Sep 2014
  • All Male Group, 31-40

Absolutely love it there. Would be better if the kitchen had 24hr access though as some people work late hours.

• 16th Sep 2014

It was the most awful weekend I ever had in my life, I have been to Berlin and I've stayed at hostel but to compare German quality to this will take ages, first there is no lockers, no safety other than you hope that ur room martes is not tkaibgbur stuff, the window is broken and the beds woolly, the sheets are dirty, I'm short guy but boy that what they call toilet was smaller than a dog house, and no sink, the shower is one! For inter place and tgeyknow they don't work!

Only 2 plugs in an 8 person room. Apart from that it was fine.

• 18th Jul 2014

Hostel smells, the bathrooms smell of urine and the bathroom on our part of the hostel didn't even have a basin to wash your hands.let alone brush your teeth. .There is a sink in the room but is squashed in behind the beds and impossible to access. The wifi was slower than dial up. The location is good ... however the down side is you get kept up all night with the shouting and domestics outside on the street.

It was a good stay. Perfect location, walking distance of everything. They only thing is the value of money. £30 per night for an averge hostel without a bathroom with in the room and wifi was a bit shakey.

• 11th Jul 2014

I've really enjoyed my staying in Brighton and people at the hostel were very nice!

Great location. Friendly staff. Met some cool people and had an awesome time!

Had to pay quite a high price for 2 days and also had to pay for the whole weekend ( minimum2 nights ) ,comparing with other people who paid £80 for a whole week. Glad though that@ the end I was received £20 back( my warranty paid in advance) , eventually I decided to stay one more night as felt tired to travel back to London , had to pay another £10 which was cheap, indeed. Lovely staff, Laura was very nice by calling me in time with details about my arrival , was brilliant, lovely staff. X

• 28th Jun 2014
  • Romania

The staff were very rude and unwelcoming from the outset. The room is very basic and completely overpriced for what it is. The window didn't close properly so the room was freezing at night. They refused to give us our deposit back because apparently we caused some leaking to the floor below using the shower, CRUMMY PLUMBING IS NOT OUR FAULT AND WE WERE ROBBED OF £40!! I strongly recommend you pay a couple of pounds more and choose one of the many other hostels in Brighton.

• 16th Jun 2014

only one working shower only 3 toilets rooms were dirty windows wouldn't shut properly heating didn't work properly overpriced

The staff was great, and the location is excellent, even though the water in the shower was either boiling hot or freezing cold. I still advise you to go if you can't spend a lot of money in a place to sleep :)

• 1st Mar 2014

Absolutely lived staying here Nd would definitely recommend others for a short stay (particularly students wanting to experience a cheap brighton night out)!

• 17th Feb 2014

Clean and well located, People at at the reception not really kind. I was in the 8 bed dorm in the roof and there was no wifi as in the lounge room, really poor, but good value for money.