The Greenhouse Reviews

PO Box 14888, Arusha, Tanzania

The only one really good thing about this place is the price. It is dirt cheap. Staff is also friendly. The place itself is not very clean. There are mosquitoes everywhere (fortunately the bed nets are good). They constantly mismanage reservations (multiple people booked private rooms had to end up sharing). There is only 1 toilet and 1 shower for the 12 or so people staying there. Hot water is not on all the time and location is not very convenient. I would think there are better options.

Thanks for your feedback. Cleanliness is a top priority; we usually get great feedback but will continue to work on this. We manage each reservation carefully. If a guest books extra nights directly, we will assist even if the private rooms are unavailable- apologies for the mix-up during your stay. We have a toilet/bathroom in the additional bedroom outside & in the process of finishing another toilet/bathroom. Hot water runs 24/7- apologies if there was a temporary fault.

The staff

We stayed at this hostel 2 x 1 night and it was very good value for money. It is located a bit out of the centre, but the local busses stop just outside the door and take you to town in 10 min for 25 cent. Three meals a day is included which was very nice. Staff were friendly and there was a common room with lots of couches, tv and of course free wi-fi. Here the meals were also served and you could hang out with other travellers and volunteers.

Good budget accommodation with three basic meals included. Nice comfortable communal area to meet other travellers. Only one toilet and shower which wasn't a problem during our stay as it was the off season, but could be an issue if hostel fully booked. Is several kms out of town, but easy to catch dalla dallas from outside hostel.

I think it was an Excellent hostel. The staff and the cleanliness of the place are beyond exceptions. They also serve supper and a light breakfast and all is done is such kindness. It is a good place to relax from the hectic road. It is a bit far from the center of Arusha, but in my opinion the transport to it is good and you can also walk, so it is o.k.

Benson was so helpful in helping us get transportation and tours arranged.

I LOVE this place + am so thankful that it became my home away from home for a month while I was volunteering in Arusha. Ayubu, Shery, + Lucy are wonderful + felt like family to me. Ayubu was always helpful in organizing day trips + taxi rides, while Shery and Lucy make delicious meals +keep the hostel clean and organized. There were lots of mosquitos, but that's something you just have to deal with :) Ayubu was quick to fix the random power outages/cold water issues. HIGHLY recommend :D

Comfortable friendly place to stay. The meals included were great. Nice helpful owners. It was great value for money. Not convenient to the centre, need to use the frequent but crowded local transport!

Thanks for giving me a good care. without Greenhouse I could die. haha

• 31st May 2014
  • South Korea

rally great place to stay in Arusha. Benson is really helpful, place is not too far from the city center, clean, friendly. I've met there people from all over the world. I enjoyed my stay there.

Benson is really attentive. He saved our lives by referring a safari operator which we had a blast. he is extremely helpful. Place is quite. the food is home made on time in the living room. he is in the process of upgrading the hostel for better use, nothing that interferes. The location is what gets everybody. We left our valuables in the hostel and they were there when we came back. I left only with good memories. they all feel like good friends and you have all your needs. worth it.

The Greenhouse was the best decision I made for the few days I had in Arusha! I went to the city to get away from work in the village for a bit, and I was lucky enough to find The Greenhouse and the amazing people who work there. I arrived super early (3 hours), and I was still greeted happily, and as soon as I entered I felt safe and right at home. Even in the midst of construction, they gave me the best possible time, fed me awesome food, and helped me find everything I needed in the city.

We stayed for only one night but we were welcomed. Had good meals, drove to town with Benson. The place is like a home.

The Greenhouse was a welcome and relaxing retreat in Arusha. The rooms were charming and comfortable, the included meals were delicious and local, and the proprietor Benson was incredibly helpful in telling us how to get around and what to visit in the area. The hostel also runs a full series of local treks, tours, and volunteer opportunities. Interactions with other guests also make it a good community. We would have loved to stay there longer.

Benson, Lucy and the other staff of the Greenhouse are great people who will make you feel at home. While the location is not central, you can easily jump on a dala dala (local bus) outside the hostel and get to the downtown in about 15 minutes. Three daily meals included and great value for money. Benson is super helpful and will help you with anything you need, transportation or anything else. The facilities are optimal and you get to experience the Arusha lifestyle.

Great staff, that was so helpful with picking us up at the bus station, buying bus tickets, etc. Nice food and fair cleanliness.

After 8 months traveling, Arusha was my first place in Africa, and like every foreigner that arrives in Africa i was concerned how it would be. But at The Greenhouse i found a place that`s make me feel home! The owner Benson is a great person, as all the other people who work here. Meals are included and the food is great. The hostel is pretty clean. Staff will help you to have a good time in Arusha. They also have a great social work at the community! Definitely recommend the hostel!

Benson runs a great traveller's house. Me and gf stayed 2 nights and we had a great rest with nice bed and great protective mosquito-net + homely living room. The food is simple and filling and Benson took time to watch a football game with me in the local pub. Place is a bit out of town (20min Daladala distance) but perfect if you need a few days' relaxation. Good solid wifi as well always a plus!

Great hostel! Don't be put off by its location, it was primarily set up for volunteers and the owner felt that this location (local area) would add to the experience, easy enough to get around on daladalas in the day but a struggle with luggage but the hostel can pick you from the bus station or the airport! A family feeling in this hostel, and was great to talk to benson about the volunteer project! Great value for money as full board and great hot shower! Highly recommended!

This is an incredibly clean, cozy hostel. It's a bit far from the downtown -- it's a house that's used to house volunteers and when they aren't full with volunteers they open up the rest of the beds as a hostel. Cheap public bus to the downtown but otherwise a bit tricky to get to. The price includes meals which they cook for all the travelers. The staff are incredibly kind and helpful. Feels like more of a homestay than a typical hostel. Very welcoming and helpful staff. Very fast internet.