The Greenhouse Reviews

PO Box 14888, Arusha, Tanzania

Great budget accommodation with very helpful staff and a wonderful atmosphere (Thank you Benson)! Highly recommended!!!

• 19th Aug 2014
  • Switzerland

I would highly recommend this place. Benny, the owner of the hostel, is fun, knowledgeable and extremely helpful. Nothing is too much for him, he genuinely loves helping his guests and making everyone feel at home. The rooms are clean, the area is safe, the indoor sound system is awesome and the BBQs are unforgettable. The place has a very friendly atmosphere and I have been lucky enough to meet some great people here during my stay.

It was good for a one night stay. And it is really fitting for young people, not to old geezers. I found it adequate, barely, but good value for what it offered. What I didn't appreciate was my change being pocketed by the guy in charge, Benson. I found that sneaky and a lack of class. I would happily have left a tip if a tip box had been handy.

• 7th Aug 2014

Thanks for your review. We’re glad you thought the hostel was good value. We aim to provide all the services for a comfortable & affordable stay including three meals, hot showers, cable TV & free wi-fi, we apologise if you found our facilities not to your standard. Change is always returned unless agreed with a customer to be used towards a future payment. All tips are shared between staff & usually given to Benson to arrange. We also plan to implement a tip box, thanks for the suggestion.

great place !!!

• 30th Jul 2014

I cannot begin to describe how brilliant this place is. The staff make your time here, Benson is a babe. They go to every effort to ensure that you enjoy your stay, whether that is dropping you off at the local market, post office, ticket office, whatever! The also run loads of brilliant volunteering opportunities, mainly focused around the environment. When I stayed I went to a local school and planted 50 trees! Its a hands on, real life experience of Africa. I will definitely recommend staying

• 29th Jul 2014

I stayed at the hostel in July and had a wonderful time! Benson, the owner, is a cool guy and the atmosphere in the hostel is friendly, helpful and fun! Everyday can bring a surprise from having a great BBQ, experiencing the Arusha night life to helping planting 40 trees at a hospital. I had a memorable visit at the Maasai village of a new friend I met at the hostel. Also the safari that I arranged through the hostel was awesome! So in one word: Epic! Thumbs up! T.I.A.

• 17th Jul 2014

The only one really good thing about this place is the price. It is dirt cheap. Staff is also friendly. The place itself is not very clean. There are mosquitoes everywhere (fortunately the bed nets are good). They constantly mismanage reservations (multiple people booked private rooms had to end up sharing). There is only 1 toilet and 1 shower for the 12 or so people staying there. Hot water is not on all the time and location is not very convenient. I would think there are better options.

Thanks for your feedback. Cleanliness is a top priority; we usually get great feedback but will continue to work on this. We manage each reservation carefully. If a guest books extra nights directly, we will assist even if the private rooms are unavailable- apologies for the mix-up during your stay. We have a toilet/bathroom in the additional bedroom outside & in the process of finishing another toilet/bathroom. Hot water runs 24/7- apologies if there was a temporary fault.

The staff

We stayed at this hostel 2 x 1 night and it was very good value for money. It is located a bit out of the centre, but the local busses stop just outside the door and take you to town in 10 min for 25 cent. Three meals a day is included which was very nice. Staff were friendly and there was a common room with lots of couches, tv and of course free wi-fi. Here the meals were also served and you could hang out with other travellers and volunteers.

Good budget accommodation with three basic meals included. Nice comfortable communal area to meet other travellers. Only one toilet and shower which wasn't a problem during our stay as it was the off season, but could be an issue if hostel fully booked. Is several kms out of town, but easy to catch dalla dallas from outside hostel.

I think it was an Excellent hostel. The staff and the cleanliness of the place are beyond exceptions. They also serve supper and a light breakfast and all is done is such kindness. It is a good place to relax from the hectic road. It is a bit far from the center of Arusha, but in my opinion the transport to it is good and you can also walk, so it is o.k.

Benson was so helpful in helping us get transportation and tours arranged.

I LOVE this place + am so thankful that it became my home away from home for a month while I was volunteering in Arusha. Ayubu, Shery, + Lucy are wonderful + felt like family to me. Ayubu was always helpful in organizing day trips + taxi rides, while Shery and Lucy make delicious meals +keep the hostel clean and organized. There were lots of mosquitos, but that's something you just have to deal with :) Ayubu was quick to fix the random power outages/cold water issues. HIGHLY recommend :D

Comfortable friendly place to stay. The meals included were great. Nice helpful owners. It was great value for money. Not convenient to the centre, need to use the frequent but crowded local transport!

Thanks for giving me a good care. without Greenhouse I could die. haha

• 31st May 2014
  • South Korea

rally great place to stay in Arusha. Benson is really helpful, place is not too far from the city center, clean, friendly. I've met there people from all over the world. I enjoyed my stay there.

Benson is really attentive. He saved our lives by referring a safari operator which we had a blast. he is extremely helpful. Place is quite. the food is home made on time in the living room. he is in the process of upgrading the hostel for better use, nothing that interferes. The location is what gets everybody. We left our valuables in the hostel and they were there when we came back. I left only with good memories. they all feel like good friends and you have all your needs. worth it.

The Greenhouse was the best decision I made for the few days I had in Arusha! I went to the city to get away from work in the village for a bit, and I was lucky enough to find The Greenhouse and the amazing people who work there. I arrived super early (3 hours), and I was still greeted happily, and as soon as I entered I felt safe and right at home. Even in the midst of construction, they gave me the best possible time, fed me awesome food, and helped me find everything I needed in the city.

We stayed for only one night but we were welcomed. Had good meals, drove to town with Benson. The place is like a home.

The Greenhouse was a welcome and relaxing retreat in Arusha. The rooms were charming and comfortable, the included meals were delicious and local, and the proprietor Benson was incredibly helpful in telling us how to get around and what to visit in the area. The hostel also runs a full series of local treks, tours, and volunteer opportunities. Interactions with other guests also make it a good community. We would have loved to stay there longer.