The Greenhouse Reviews

PO Box 14888, Arusha, Tanzania

I can't rave enough about how amazing this place is. I echo all the previous comments about Benson and the rest of the team, but would like to add that their generosity extends beyond the formal agreement. Benson took a couple of us out to a really nice bar with a band, and then let me leave my luggage behind when I went to hike Mt Meru.

• 12th Oct 2014

From the owners to the security to the staff.. they were like ohana..ohana means family! Location was good for where i was going... Proper showers, clean toilets, MEALS!, and WI-FI!!!It was like my african home away from home...miss it all, miss you all... asante sana sana

The greenhouse is a real african experience Thay provide 3 meals a day, the staff are very friendly and the place is super clean. the manager organised a great wildlife safari for me. Its a couple of km from the center of arusha but the neighbourhood is safe and very interesting to walk around and the dala dala ride into town is very cheap and a wonderfull experience. Its also a great place to meet other travellers and share stories and info. A place not to be missed, graham

Great budget accommodation with very helpful staff and a wonderful atmosphere (Thank you Benson)! Highly recommended!!!

• 19th Aug 2014
  • Switzerland

I would highly recommend this place. Benny, the owner of the hostel, is fun, knowledgeable and extremely helpful. Nothing is too much for him, he genuinely loves helping his guests and making everyone feel at home. The rooms are clean, the area is safe, the indoor sound system is awesome and the BBQs are unforgettable. The place has a very friendly atmosphere and I have been lucky enough to meet some great people here during my stay.

It was good for a one night stay. And it is really fitting for young people, not to old geezers. I found it adequate, barely, but good value for what it offered. What I didn't appreciate was my change being pocketed by the guy in charge, Benson. I found that sneaky and a lack of class. I would happily have left a tip if a tip box had been handy.

• 7th Aug 2014

Thanks for your review. We’re glad you thought the hostel was good value. We aim to provide all the services for a comfortable & affordable stay including three meals, hot showers, cable TV & free wi-fi, we apologise if you found our facilities not to your standard. Change is always returned unless agreed with a customer to be used towards a future payment. All tips are shared between staff & usually given to Benson to arrange. We also plan to implement a tip box, thanks for the suggestion.

great place !!!

• 30th Jul 2014

The most incredible hostel that I have ever been ! Great barbecue party, great atmosphere. I hope that my French flag will stay there for a while.

I cannot begin to describe how brilliant this place is. The staff make your time here, Benson is a babe. They go to every effort to ensure that you enjoy your stay, whether that is dropping you off at the local market, post office, ticket office, whatever! The also run loads of brilliant volunteering opportunities, mainly focused around the environment. When I stayed I went to a local school and planted 50 trees! Its a hands on, real life experience of Africa. I will definitely recommend staying

• 29th Jul 2014

I stayed at the hostel in July and had a wonderful time! Benson, the owner, is a cool guy and the atmosphere in the hostel is friendly, helpful and fun! Everyday can bring a surprise from having a great BBQ, experiencing the Arusha night life to helping planting 40 trees at a hospital. I had a memorable visit at the Maasai village of a new friend I met at the hostel. Also the safari that I arranged through the hostel was awesome! So in one word: Epic! Thumbs up! T.I.A.

• 17th Jul 2014

The only one really good thing about this place is the price. It is dirt cheap. Staff is also friendly. The place itself is not very clean. There are mosquitoes everywhere (fortunately the bed nets are good). They constantly mismanage reservations (multiple people booked private rooms had to end up sharing). There is only 1 toilet and 1 shower for the 12 or so people staying there. Hot water is not on all the time and location is not very convenient. I would think there are better options.

Thanks for your feedback. Cleanliness is a top priority; we usually get great feedback but will continue to work on this. We manage each reservation carefully. If a guest books extra nights directly, we will assist even if the private rooms are unavailable- apologies for the mix-up during your stay. We have a toilet/bathroom in the additional bedroom outside & in the process of finishing another toilet/bathroom. Hot water runs 24/7- apologies if there was a temporary fault.

The staff

We stayed at this hostel 2 x 1 night and it was very good value for money. It is located a bit out of the centre, but the local busses stop just outside the door and take you to town in 10 min for 25 cent. Three meals a day is included which was very nice. Staff were friendly and there was a common room with lots of couches, tv and of course free wi-fi. Here the meals were also served and you could hang out with other travellers and volunteers.

Good budget accommodation with three basic meals included. Nice comfortable communal area to meet other travellers. Only one toilet and shower which wasn't a problem during our stay as it was the off season, but could be an issue if hostel fully booked. Is several kms out of town, but easy to catch dalla dallas from outside hostel.

I think it was an Excellent hostel. The staff and the cleanliness of the place are beyond exceptions. They also serve supper and a light breakfast and all is done is such kindness. It is a good place to relax from the hectic road. It is a bit far from the center of Arusha, but in my opinion the transport to it is good and you can also walk, so it is o.k.

Benson was so helpful in helping us get transportation and tours arranged.

I LOVE this place + am so thankful that it became my home away from home for a month while I was volunteering in Arusha. Ayubu, Shery, + Lucy are wonderful + felt like family to me. Ayubu was always helpful in organizing day trips + taxi rides, while Shery and Lucy make delicious meals +keep the hostel clean and organized. There were lots of mosquitos, but that's something you just have to deal with :) Ayubu was quick to fix the random power outages/cold water issues. HIGHLY recommend :D

Comfortable friendly place to stay. The meals included were great. Nice helpful owners. It was great value for money. Not convenient to the centre, need to use the frequent but crowded local transport!

Thanks for giving me a good care. without Greenhouse I could die. haha

• 31st May 2014
  • South Korea

rally great place to stay in Arusha. Benson is really helpful, place is not too far from the city center, clean, friendly. I've met there people from all over the world. I enjoyed my stay there.