The Greenhouse Reviews

PO Box 14888, Arusha, Tanzania

This was a great hostel. A little far from the city center, but a cheap and fast ride via dalladalla. Staff is great, facilities are clean. Easy to meet new people. Three meals per day is great. Awesome cats live in the common area. Shower with hot water. Sometimes electricity during the day, but there was always electricity at night. Always wifi available as is run by battery power. Perfect place to stay in Arusha on a budget.

This is my second time staying here and there have been many improvements since my last visit. The hostel now has an outdoor terrace, bicycles for hire, newly painted rooms, new outdoor gardens, private transfer service, security lockers, fans in each room, second shower and toilet outdoors, more volunteering opportunities, improved food menus, improved internet connection, and more. I really recommend this place if you're looking for a place to stay in Arusha.

• 16th Mar 2015

Really friendly place and a cool atmosphere. Not central location but benefiting local community .

Amazing place! The staff is really friendly, helpful and welcoming. Feels like home. Nice, clean, safe place with a warm atmosphere. Just a few minutes away from town by local bus. I booked a safari through Benson, the owner, and really got a good price. It's the kind of place that makes you want to stay longer!

This place definitely does the trick in Arusha!! The owner (Benson) was very helpful and all the staff were kind and accomodating. Not directly in town but simple enough to access (cheap) using the dala dalas as explained on their page. They helped me to organize a great safari and get my bus to Dar. Nice people and good food! Come to the Greenhouse ladies and gents!

When I first arrived, I thought "this place is a dump." Rooms were small and messy, and there is very little common space. It is also quite a ways out of town, requiring $10 taxis at night to get home. That said, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and they helped us book a great and cheap 4-day safari with Arunga Expeditions. After the safari, my friend and I decided to book a hotel in town - only $35 for a private ensuite double room in a central location was a much better deal.

The Greenhouse Hostel is in the house of the NGO The Green Living Planet. We had a great time in there and we really can recommend it. In January 2015 the road to the Hostel was under construction. Therefore the description how to get to the hostel was not accurate. Nevertheless, if you call them, an employee can pick you up at the closest point to the hostel (which is around 100 m away from the hostel).

Great location if you know your way around and happy to get the Dala Dala. It's really close to the old shop rite which has good cafés and restaurants. Bridge is out at the moment so have to take the long way around on the Dala Dala. Staff are all awesome and lovely. Food is great and it's incredible value for money especially for Arusha. Would happily stay here again

• 12th Jan 2015

The entire team that worked there was incredibly nice. The place was very comfortable, and they even cooked us breakfast and dinner!

I chose the Greenhouse because I thought I was helping a nonprofit that works for the community. However, while there I met someone claiming to be the owner. So this is not really a nonprofit. Anyway, the rooms are clean. The staff are friendly. The main problem with the Greenhouse is location. The location is very bad, far from city center. The road is unpaved and when it rains gets really muddy. They do have a bus stop closeby, but at night, you will need a taxi. Not a bad but location is bad.

The Greenhouse provides accommodation for both tourists and volunteers supporting our non profit organisation The Green Living Planet. Guests regularly get involved in projects and also visit our projects. The owner of the hostel runs the non profit. This is clear from our social media pages and our website. Regarding the location, it is just 4km from the city centre and you can easily take a bus to town. Our sites clearly show where we are located and also we have maps on our sites.

Perfect place!!! The stuff helped us with everything...the first chance we get, we come back!

Special thanks for a GREAT stay. The property is a little off the beaten path and could be difficult to find, but otherwise was excellent. Staff were extremely friendly, good wifi, fun guests from around the world. We stayed two nights, Dec 22-23 and 25-26, on either side of a Serengeti safari, and would definitely return.

The staff was incredibly sweet & friendly, however when we first arrived nobody was there and it was a bit awkward. The location is certainly far off the beaten track, but the inclusion of all meals made up for it. Taxis had a hard time finding the place though, so be sure to carry a copy of the directions with you. Overall, the facilities were nice and our room had good WiFi, but there was no fan and no breeze so it was sweltering hot at night...but then again, it is Tanzania in the summer.

Great hostel, clean, friendly staff. Close to bar. A 10 minutes dala dala ride to the city center. Convenient for any budget travelers looking for accommodation before climbing Kili or Meru.

Amazing people, I would reccomend to anybody, Ben is a big heart to help people so much, like public schools, community services, recycling, keep the world more green, and orphanage. The staffs is amazing. You feel like home. If you want to do some volunteer work. This is a perfect place

I can't speak highly enough of this place. The staff were absolutely incredible and went out of there way to help with everything you needed (taking us on trips, finding the best deals, helping with reservations). It is also unbelievable that you could get three meals a day for free (if you are in). Some maybe put off by the location, but it was really nice NOT staying in the centre as was more chilled and has a roof top with a great view of Mt Meru. There is no point staying any where else.

• 8th Nov 2014

I stayed at The Greenhouse twice, just prior to a safari and immediately after. Benson arranged the safari which was absolutely fantastic- he is completely connected to the community in Arusha and able to arrange any activity you may want to do including volunteering with his non-profit. The staff and Benson's mother and sister were helpful and able to provide anything you may need. The wifi works, the food is really good (and included in the price), and there is hot water for showers!

This hostel is like a home. They give you also Food and the atmosphere is awesome. You can easyly hang out with the People in their living room. They would take good care of you. Awesome place.

Great value hostel with really friendly, helpful staff. Slightly outside the centre of Arusha but you can catch a dala dala (minibus) easily. They come every few minutes and cost 400 shillings (less than 25 cent!). Overall 9/10.

I can't rave enough about how amazing this place is. I echo all the previous comments about Benson and the rest of the team, but would like to add that their generosity extends beyond the formal agreement. Benson took a couple of us out to a really nice bar with a band, and then let me leave my luggage behind when I went to hike Mt Meru.

• 12th Oct 2014