The Greenhouse Reviews

PO Box 14888, Arusha, Tanzania

We found this hostel absolutely amazing. For one of us it was a first hostel experience and it couldn't have been a better one. The staff were very relaxed and friendly and the hostel was complete sanctuary. Facilities were good and also felt like there was a unique personal approach and ethos. The atmosphere was the most amazing bit with all guests hanging out together and making friends. Within hours we felt like a family. We are only sad we stayed one night. Not an opportunity to be missed!!

• 26th Jun 2015

This was a great hostel. A little far from the city center, but a cheap and fast ride via dalladalla. Staff is great, facilities are clean. Easy to meet new people. Three meals per day is great. Awesome cats live in the common area. Shower with hot water. Sometimes electricity during the day, but there was always electricity at night. Always wifi available as is run by battery power. Perfect place to stay in Arusha on a budget.

really cool hostel with good vibe. very nice staff und easy going people. even though its not in the center i will definitely stay here the next time and recimmend it to everyone. thanks

• 22nd Mar 2015
  • Switzerland

This is my second time staying here and there have been many improvements since my last visit. The hostel now has an outdoor terrace, bicycles for hire, newly painted rooms, new outdoor gardens, private transfer service, security lockers, fans in each room, second shower and toilet outdoors, more volunteering opportunities, improved food menus, improved internet connection, and more. I really recommend this place if you're looking for a place to stay in Arusha.

• 16th Mar 2015

Really friendly place and a cool atmosphere. Not central location but benefiting local community .

Amazing place! The staff is really friendly, helpful and welcoming. Feels like home. Nice, clean, safe place with a warm atmosphere. Just a few minutes away from town by local bus. I booked a safari through Benson, the owner, and really got a good price. It's the kind of place that makes you want to stay longer!

This place definitely does the trick in Arusha!! The owner (Benson) was very helpful and all the staff were kind and accomodating. Not directly in town but simple enough to access (cheap) using the dala dalas as explained on their page. They helped me to organize a great safari and get my bus to Dar. Nice people and good food! Come to the Greenhouse ladies and gents!

When I first arrived, I thought "this place is a dump." Rooms were small and messy, and there is very little common space. It is also quite a ways out of town, requiring $10 taxis at night to get home. That said, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and they helped us book a great and cheap 4-day safari with Arunga Expeditions. After the safari, my friend and I decided to book a hotel in town - only $35 for a private ensuite double room in a central location was a much better deal.

The Greenhouse Hostel is in the house of the NGO The Green Living Planet. We had a great time in there and we really can recommend it. In January 2015 the road to the Hostel was under construction. Therefore the description how to get to the hostel was not accurate. Nevertheless, if you call them, an employee can pick you up at the closest point to the hostel (which is around 100 m away from the hostel).

Great location if you know your way around and happy to get the Dala Dala. It's really close to the old shop rite which has good cafés and restaurants. Bridge is out at the moment so have to take the long way around on the Dala Dala. Staff are all awesome and lovely. Food is great and it's incredible value for money especially for Arusha. Would happily stay here again

• 12th Jan 2015

The entire team that worked there was incredibly nice. The place was very comfortable, and they even cooked us breakfast and dinner!

I chose the Greenhouse because I thought I was helping a nonprofit that works for the community. However, while there I met someone claiming to be the owner. So this is not really a nonprofit. Anyway, the rooms are clean. The staff are friendly. The main problem with the Greenhouse is location. The location is very bad, far from city center. The road is unpaved and when it rains gets really muddy. They do have a bus stop closeby, but at night, you will need a taxi. Not a bad but location is bad.

The Greenhouse provides accommodation for both tourists and volunteers supporting our non profit organisation The Green Living Planet. Guests regularly get involved in projects and also visit our projects. The owner of the hostel runs the non profit. This is clear from our social media pages and our website. Regarding the location, it is just 4km from the city centre and you can easily take a bus to town. Our sites clearly show where we are located and also we have maps on our sites.