The Hostel Reviews

3 Clifton Terrace, EH12 5DR, Edinburgh, Scotland

Thank you for the convenience and superb location

• 22nd Jul 2014

In the rooms we didn't have a single mirror, and weren't able to use the power points for anything more than chargers, making us use hairdryers and straighteners in the common area. The bathrooms were unacceptable considering the lack of mirrors in rooms. The sinks and mirrors were tiny. Also parts of the floor was rotting, and they were generally unclean. Finally the luggage room, which is downstairs from reception was constantly left unlocked and unattended.

Pros: Excellent, friendly staff. comfy beds, usually clean toilets/sinks, nice lounge, decent location, good price. Cons: Dirty showers with no hot/cold control, very few power outlets, no in-room lockers, hot room. As a young woman, I found it a bit uncomfortable to be in a 14 bed dorm with all men, at least two of whom appeared to live at the hostel full-time. I woke up with an older guy watching me. Creepy vibes, but they seemed harmless. No 24 hour reception. Long walk to town center.

We would require some offers/deals during summer

• 26th Jun 2014
  • India

this was so bad! the bathrooms are not clean. no toilet paper in any of the stalls for a whole day. reception closed randomly so it's hard to get help. construction outside our room, so we were woken by drills at 8am every day. wifi fails about once an hour, different staff go by different policies (one took a deposit for a towel, the other said they didn't take deposits when I tried to get deposit back.) and of course the computer system fails when I try to print my boarding pass. worst. ever.

Shame the beds squeak... makes a good nights sleep nearly impossible, even if you are lucky enough to have a room full of non-snoring people...

• 12th Jun 2014

Pillows could be changed up, due to stains. Showers were cold. Breakfast could be extended.

Very friendly staff and great location (the hostel is situated just opposite to haymarket station). Can't exactly comment on the atmosphere of the hostel since I stayed for only one night, but it seemed as though people were indeed interacting regularly there. The only issue that I had was their blankets smelt a wee bit weird, but other than that is was ok.

its not a great hostel for young people looking to party..people in our 14 bed room where asleep by 11 and did not appreciate us getting ready to go out even though we where very quiet.also the lounge area shuts at 11 including the reception..the location was good just a short walk from the castle and town/clubs.

This was a very friendly hostel and good value. On the downside - the beds were very squeaky and the kitchen was locked between 10pm and 8am. Very inconvenient.

Place is very nice, a 20 min walk from the royal mile. The 18 people rooms are packed, and the card key that I was given would only work one out of each ten times I tried to use it to enter my room. Staff is nice friendly, but non of the wall sockets in the room or common areas worked, so I had to stand in the kitchen for more than an hour to get my phone and camera charged. It was friday, so as I was trying to get some sleep, a lot of people were very very noisy and drinking outside the room.

Only stayed for one night but a large French group were there also playing loud music, banging doors, shouting. Just running riot on my floor which was annoying.

Positives: +Polite staff +Close location to Murrayfield Stadium +Close to Haymarket Station +Reasonably inexpensive Negatives: -Dorm was too hot -Loud noise from the street -Only lockers were in reception, and reception was not open 24 hours -Dorm quite small.....would recommend to anyone who needed to stay somewhere close to Murrayfield

I had a great visit at this hostel...nice common area with a pool table and TV, comfy bed, modern kitchen. Staff were also helpful in pointing me in the direction of a nice pub down the road to eat dinner where hostel guests get 20% off. I would recommend it!

• 19th Mar 2014

This was a very pleasant stay. The location is great if you don't mind walking around the city. There are hostels closer to the center, but they seemed to be more expensive, and Edinburgh really isn't too big. The staff was friendly and free lockers are provided. My keycard stopped working halfway through the stay, but staff was very kind and simply printed a new one. The wi-fi was the biggest problem, as it was spotty and often did not work.

Very good place for this value of money. Clean, warm and organized. I found it just a bit noisy in the morning because of the busy street.

• 2nd Mar 2014
  • Poland

Location is great, right opposite Haymarket station however the common area is tiny, especially for the number of rooms in the hostel. There were about ten people trying to have breakfast when we got down, the white bread was mouldy and not enough spoons for everyone to eat at once. The kitchen area is too small for more than one person to use so not ideal if you are looking to cook your own food. All bathrooms are mixed and there was no soap or toilet paper and mould in the shower units.

Nice friendly staff. Bit of a walk into town, but there are plenty of pubs right next door so you might not need to bother! Our key cards didn't work, but there happened to be staff available even at midnight so we didn't get locked out in the cold. Kitchen is tiny but well equipped. Just have to stagger your cooking times to not clash with other guests.

The Hostel is very good value for money. Decent accommodation at the lowest prices you will find anywhere. It's well heated, has tv, wi-fi, decent showers and friendly staff. However, security is a bit of a minus because I found people who weren't guests accessing the hostel and although these people were occasional guests, they were continuing to use the facilities even when they weren't staying there and that raises question marks over security. Also, lockers are behind the reception desk.