The Hostel Reviews

3 Clifton Terrace, EH12 5DR, Edinburgh, Scotland

honestly for me the kitchen is allways the most important thing for a hostel and this one was terrible

I like everything about The Hostel. I only had two little problems: 1) The reception desk opens between 8am and 11pm. At night you need to use a keycard to enter The Hostel and, in my case, it often did not work! It was a very incomfortable disturbance because I had to press the buzzer botton and ask for help. 2) The last night I arrived late at the Hostel and I found a boy sleeping in my bed! I do not know who was responsible for this organisational mistake. However, I was given another bed.

• 17th Sep 2014
  • Spain

I had a lovely time in Edinburgh over the past few days, but this hostel was not an added enjoyment or comfort, but a source of constant irritation. Key cards didn't work very well; I had to change mine after a few days, before generally resorting to leaving dorm room ajar, as did others too. Plug sockets didn't work in dorm - had to charge in the communal area. No communal area without a television. Reception closed at random times. Showers or toilets often down, door handles there broken.

• 17th Sep 2014

The rooms seemed as though they never were cleaned, the fridge had smell of rotten sour milk, and theres no telling how often (if ever) the douvet covers are cleaned. On my 2nd night there I woke up to the worst case of hives, due to something from that nasty room.

• 12th Sep 2014

Could do better with cleanliness, otherwise an excellent place to stay. I had so much fun there.

Never any toilot paper, shower door screen was broken, and dangerous with the hot water, could burn yourself quite easy as you couldn't adjust it.

Dirty dirty dirty....... The access cards never worked and the pillows and duvet s were never replaced. The showers never worked and whenever you had an issue the staff would always put the owness back on you. Showers are either too hot or too cold and no maintenance was being done on the property. Kitchen was filthy..... And not equipped at all Very disappointing.....

I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay here. The plugs in the room didn't work, couldn't charge my phone. Neither did the showers work properly (it takes you about two minutes to kinda get your body wet because there's just a tiny drizzle coming out while all the bathroom floor is flooded at the same time). The sheets for the blankets aren't exchanged after every guest so you sleep in other people's bedsheets. Never heard such creaky beds.

Hostel was nice and well kept except for the showers. The machines for the water did not work properly and needed cleaning as well as one of the doors was almost completely off. Building was well secured and staff were helpful with my early check-out. Location is a bit outside of town, but walking distance to everything.

our three person room only had two beds (one was a double, but still, would be nice to know in advance!) and a bit tired, but generally fine and an okay location - outside the town centre, but more than walkable. staff were nice, although a little confused!

Hostel is fine to stay for a night or two, but kitchen and bathroom facilities are too poor to make a longer stay more comfortable. We stayed in 16 bed mixed dorm which was fine, a bit cramped with not much room to put luggage around your bunk and it was also pretty smelly. We only found 2 toilets and 3 shower cubicles on our floor which means they got dirty quickly. Kitchen was small and piled high with food and dirty dishes whenever we tried to use it.

everything was great except for 1 thing: the water in the shower was too hot and we couldn't change it.

The quality of staff is extremely poor and bread got moldy at breakfast.

• 8th Aug 2014
  • Japan

Upon arriving and being assured I could check in at 1:00am, I had no way off getting in. Following another group in I made my way to reception and found it closed until 8:00am, an hour later a member of staff found me and after giving her my details I was told that I had no booking and was asked to leave. With Limited funds I was on the streets of Edinburgh as no where could take me in. Had I been given the right info, I could have made alternate arrangements.

• 3rd Aug 2014

I had a really great time at The Hostel, the staff is really friendly and nice but I think the cleanliness of the bathrooms and kitchen must be improved. Great hostel to stay in tho.

• 29th Jul 2014

Although I stayed here only for a night,I really liked this place. It's located on a big street and most tourist attractions are in walk distance. I met only one staff and she was absolutely helpful:)

Excellent situation next to Haymarket station, to a lot of buses among which the bus to and from the airport, at 15 minute walk from the centre of the old and new town Clean and comfortable place to stay and recuperate after having been around all day, and especially my grateful regards to Erin managing the hostel, welcoming you with the most attentive smile, always ready to answer your needs and questions whatever. Thank you.

• 27th Jul 2014
  • Belgium

Thank you for the convenience and superb location

• 22nd Jul 2014

In the rooms we didn't have a single mirror, and weren't able to use the power points for anything more than chargers, making us use hairdryers and straighteners in the common area. The bathrooms were unacceptable considering the lack of mirrors in rooms. The sinks and mirrors were tiny. Also parts of the floor was rotting, and they were generally unclean. Finally the luggage room, which is downstairs from reception was constantly left unlocked and unattended.

Six of us were booked into a 14bed dorm. The room should hold no more than 6/8. we came home one night to find one of our beds had been given away!!! The young (only) staffmember on duty was rude and aggressive. Communal areas including kitchen are locked early so everybody gathers in the tiny lobby with a small TV and 4 chairs. Our overall impression is the place exists to cram as many as possible in, take the money and forget about any human comforts