The Hostel Reviews

3 Clifton Terrace, EH12 5DR, Edinburgh, Scotland

Dirty dirty dirty....... The access cards never worked and the pillows and duvet s were never replaced. The showers never worked and whenever you had an issue the staff would always put the owness back on you. Showers are either too hot or too cold and no maintenance was being done on the property. Kitchen was filthy..... And not equipped at all Very disappointing.....

I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay here. The plugs in the room didn't work, couldn't charge my phone. Neither did the showers work properly (it takes you about two minutes to kinda get your body wet because there's just a tiny drizzle coming out while all the bathroom floor is flooded at the same time). The sheets for the blankets aren't exchanged after every guest so you sleep in other people's bedsheets. Never heard such creaky beds.

Hostel was nice and well kept except for the showers. The machines for the water did not work properly and needed cleaning as well as one of the doors was almost completely off. Building was well secured and staff were helpful with my early check-out. Location is a bit outside of town, but walking distance to everything.

our three person room only had two beds (one was a double, but still, would be nice to know in advance!) and a bit tired, but generally fine and an okay location - outside the town centre, but more than walkable. staff were nice, although a little confused!

Hostel is fine to stay for a night or two, but kitchen and bathroom facilities are too poor to make a longer stay more comfortable. We stayed in 16 bed mixed dorm which was fine, a bit cramped with not much room to put luggage around your bunk and it was also pretty smelly. We only found 2 toilets and 3 shower cubicles on our floor which means they got dirty quickly. Kitchen was small and piled high with food and dirty dishes whenever we tried to use it.

everything was great except for 1 thing: the water in the shower was too hot and we couldn't change it.

The quality of staff is extremely poor and bread got moldy at breakfast.

• 8th Aug 2014
  • Japan

Upon arriving and being assured I could check in at 1:00am, I had no way off getting in. Following another group in I made my way to reception and found it closed until 8:00am, an hour later a member of staff found me and after giving her my details I was told that I had no booking and was asked to leave. With Limited funds I was on the streets of Edinburgh as no where could take me in. Had I been given the right info, I could have made alternate arrangements.

• 3rd Aug 2014

I had a really great time at The Hostel, the staff is really friendly and nice but I think the cleanliness of the bathrooms and kitchen must be improved. Great hostel to stay in tho.

• 29th Jul 2014

Although I stayed here only for a night,I really liked this place. It's located on a big street and most tourist attractions are in walk distance. I met only one staff and she was absolutely helpful:)

Excellent situation next to Haymarket station, to a lot of buses among which the bus to and from the airport, at 15 minute walk from the centre of the old and new town Clean and comfortable place to stay and recuperate after having been around all day, and especially my grateful regards to Erin managing the hostel, welcoming you with the most attentive smile, always ready to answer your needs and questions whatever. Thank you.

• 27th Jul 2014
  • Belgium

Thank you for the convenience and superb location

• 22nd Jul 2014

In the rooms we didn't have a single mirror, and weren't able to use the power points for anything more than chargers, making us use hairdryers and straighteners in the common area. The bathrooms were unacceptable considering the lack of mirrors in rooms. The sinks and mirrors were tiny. Also parts of the floor was rotting, and they were generally unclean. Finally the luggage room, which is downstairs from reception was constantly left unlocked and unattended.

Pros: Excellent, friendly staff. comfy beds, usually clean toilets/sinks, nice lounge, decent location, good price. Cons: Dirty showers with no hot/cold control, very few power outlets, no in-room lockers, hot room. As a young woman, I found it a bit uncomfortable to be in a 14 bed dorm with all men, at least two of whom appeared to live at the hostel full-time. I woke up with an older guy watching me. Creepy vibes, but they seemed harmless. No 24 hour reception. Long walk to town center.

We would require some offers/deals during summer

• 26th Jun 2014
  • India

this was so bad! the bathrooms are not clean. no toilet paper in any of the stalls for a whole day. reception closed randomly so it's hard to get help. construction outside our room, so we were woken by drills at 8am every day. wifi fails about once an hour, different staff go by different policies (one took a deposit for a towel, the other said they didn't take deposits when I tried to get deposit back.) and of course the computer system fails when I try to print my boarding pass. worst. ever.

Shame the beds squeak... makes a good nights sleep nearly impossible, even if you are lucky enough to have a room full of non-snoring people...

• 12th Jun 2014

Pillows could be changed up, due to stains. Showers were cold. Breakfast could be extended.

Very friendly staff and great location (the hostel is situated just opposite to haymarket station). Can't exactly comment on the atmosphere of the hostel since I stayed for only one night, but it seemed as though people were indeed interacting regularly there. The only issue that I had was their blankets smelt a wee bit weird, but other than that is was ok.

its not a great hostel for young people looking to party..people in our 14 bed room where asleep by 11 and did not appreciate us getting ready to go out even though we where very quiet.also the lounge area shuts at 11 including the reception..the location was good just a short walk from the castle and town/clubs.