The Hostel Reviews

3 Clifton Terrace, EH12 5DR, Edinburgh, Scotland

Excellent hostel all round

Cheadle out 2 days early would have liked one of those days refunded.

It's a good place,small but comfortable.

It's a nice hostel but it just lacks atmosphere. If you want to be alone and don't want to be bothered by social chatting than its ideal. The price is good and you get what you pay for.

• 11th Nov 2014

The Hostel is great. They could use more bathrooms and showers.

The kitchen was small and a little messy.

Male/female sharing bathrooms - not great. Not very clean, no mattress protection, no heating in the room.

• 8th Oct 2014
  • All Female Group, 41+

This hostel was great, but the worn out key cards were really annoying, especially bring in the bunk right next to the door.

honestly for me the kitchen is allways the most important thing for a hostel and this one was terrible

I like everything about The Hostel. I only had two little problems: 1) The reception desk opens between 8am and 11pm. At night you need to use a keycard to enter The Hostel and, in my case, it often did not work! It was a very incomfortable disturbance because I had to press the buzzer botton and ask for help. 2) The last night I arrived late at the Hostel and I found a boy sleeping in my bed! I do not know who was responsible for this organisational mistake. However, I was given another bed.

• 17th Sep 2014
  • Spain

I had a lovely time in Edinburgh over the past few days, but this hostel was not an added enjoyment or comfort, but a source of constant irritation. Key cards didn't work very well; I had to change mine after a few days, before generally resorting to leaving dorm room ajar, as did others too. Plug sockets didn't work in dorm - had to charge in the communal area. No communal area without a television. Reception closed at random times. Showers or toilets often down, door handles there broken.

• 17th Sep 2014

The rooms seemed as though they never were cleaned, the fridge had smell of rotten sour milk, and theres no telling how often (if ever) the douvet covers are cleaned. On my 2nd night there I woke up to the worst case of hives, due to something from that nasty room.

• 12th Sep 2014

Could do better with cleanliness, otherwise an excellent place to stay. I had so much fun there.

Never any toilot paper, shower door screen was broken, and dangerous with the hot water, could burn yourself quite easy as you couldn't adjust it.

Dirty dirty dirty....... The access cards never worked and the pillows and duvet s were never replaced. The showers never worked and whenever you had an issue the staff would always put the owness back on you. Showers are either too hot or too cold and no maintenance was being done on the property. Kitchen was filthy..... And not equipped at all Very disappointing.....

I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay here. The plugs in the room didn't work, couldn't charge my phone. Neither did the showers work properly (it takes you about two minutes to kinda get your body wet because there's just a tiny drizzle coming out while all the bathroom floor is flooded at the same time). The sheets for the blankets aren't exchanged after every guest so you sleep in other people's bedsheets. Never heard such creaky beds.

Hostel was nice and well kept except for the showers. The machines for the water did not work properly and needed cleaning as well as one of the doors was almost completely off. Building was well secured and staff were helpful with my early check-out. Location is a bit outside of town, but walking distance to everything.

our three person room only had two beds (one was a double, but still, would be nice to know in advance!) and a bit tired, but generally fine and an okay location - outside the town centre, but more than walkable. staff were nice, although a little confused!

Hostel is fine to stay for a night or two, but kitchen and bathroom facilities are too poor to make a longer stay more comfortable. We stayed in 16 bed mixed dorm which was fine, a bit cramped with not much room to put luggage around your bunk and it was also pretty smelly. We only found 2 toilets and 3 shower cubicles on our floor which means they got dirty quickly. Kitchen was small and piled high with food and dirty dishes whenever we tried to use it.

everything was great except for 1 thing: the water in the shower was too hot and we couldn't change it.