The Hostel Reviews

3 Clifton Terrace, EH12 5DR, Edinburgh, Scotland

The quality of staff is extremely poor and bread got moldy at breakfast.

• 8th Aug 2014
  • Japan

Upon arriving and being assured I could check in at 1:00am, I had no way off getting in. Following another group in I made my way to reception and found it closed until 8:00am, an hour later a member of staff found me and after giving her my details I was told that I had no booking and was asked to leave. With Limited funds I was on the streets of Edinburgh as no where could take me in. Had I been given the right info, I could have made alternate arrangements.

• 3rd Aug 2014

I had a really great time at The Hostel, the staff is really friendly and nice but I think the cleanliness of the bathrooms and kitchen must be improved. Great hostel to stay in tho.

• 29th Jul 2014

Although I stayed here only for a night,I really liked this place. It's located on a big street and most tourist attractions are in walk distance. I met only one staff and she was absolutely helpful:)

Excellent situation next to Haymarket station, to a lot of buses among which the bus to and from the airport, at 15 minute walk from the centre of the old and new town Clean and comfortable place to stay and recuperate after having been around all day, and especially my grateful regards to Erin managing the hostel, welcoming you with the most attentive smile, always ready to answer your needs and questions whatever. Thank you.

• 27th Jul 2014
  • Belgium

Thank you for the convenience and superb location

• 22nd Jul 2014

In the rooms we didn't have a single mirror, and weren't able to use the power points for anything more than chargers, making us use hairdryers and straighteners in the common area. The bathrooms were unacceptable considering the lack of mirrors in rooms. The sinks and mirrors were tiny. Also parts of the floor was rotting, and they were generally unclean. Finally the luggage room, which is downstairs from reception was constantly left unlocked and unattended.

Six of us were booked into a 14bed dorm. The room should hold no more than 6/8. we came home one night to find one of our beds had been given away!!! The young (only) staffmember on duty was rude and aggressive. Communal areas including kitchen are locked early so everybody gathers in the tiny lobby with a small TV and 4 chairs. Our overall impression is the place exists to cram as many as possible in, take the money and forget about any human comforts

Pros: Excellent, friendly staff. comfy beds, usually clean toilets/sinks, nice lounge, decent location, good price. Cons: Dirty showers with no hot/cold control, very few power outlets, no in-room lockers, hot room. As a young woman, I found it a bit uncomfortable to be in a 14 bed dorm with all men, at least two of whom appeared to live at the hostel full-time. I woke up with an older guy watching me. Creepy vibes, but they seemed harmless. No 24 hour reception. Long walk to town center.

We would require some offers/deals during summer

• 26th Jun 2014