The Hostel Reviews

3 Clifton Terrace, Edinburgh, Scotland

We stayed in the giant mixed dorm. The room and beds were great (and clean) but there was only 4 plugs that we could find and there wasn't alot of room for luggage (considering how many people were in the room) but the kitchen was nice and the bathrooms (although limited) were clean. It was in a really good location - only a 10 minute walk to the shopping area.

Bathroom was disgusting!

• 11th Jul 2015

I must say this place has improved 100% since my last visit, it's great place to meet people and is clean and tidy. Must say staff are very helpful too

This hostel had the elements of excellence: proper showers, toilets, a sitting area, pretty comfortable beds, linens provided, a locking box in the main office for any valuables. I didn't like being locked out of the sitting area at 11pm especially because it made it harder to make phone calls home without disturbing people. the time difference interfered with making earlier calls. The bigger issue was having a group of young people who couldn't clean up after themsethe kitchen was a disaster

Go for it! It's the best you can get!!!

Hostel generally most pleasant, clean, friendly and well thought out. Breakfast at £2.00 was brilliant, basic of course but great for the budget traveller. Free wifi and use of computer a real bonus, there is quite a high charge for wifi in SYHA hostels. Only real complaint was the key system which basically just does not work, people are constantly locked out of their rooms,our pass cards did not work for over 50% of the time, we had to let a very embarassed person in at 2.00am.

Staff were very helpful when I was trying to coordinate individual bookings for a group of friends. Made it all very easy and never made me feel like I was being a nuisance.

• 3rd Jul 2015
  • Scotland

much improved. Everything very clean

Very nice place: busy and friendly, and a straight walk into the city centre, giving time to admire what the city is like! Staff were helpful, and everything was clean; fellow guests were nice too.

• 29th Jun 2015

Bathrooms cleans but tiny sinks with no place to place toiletries. Two pounds not bad for breakfast, but the breakfast had small selection and no fruit or juice.

I had very good time in Edinburgh. This hotel is quite close to city center by walk. Even you can use tramway and buses.

Very good hostel. I would definitely stay again.

• 26th Jun 2015

Located right near the Haymarket train station. Short 15 min walk from the princes street shopping center. 30-40 min walk for all of the main attractions which is great.

It was a nice enough place, fairly clean. Not in a great location but close enough to walk most places if you've got sensible shoes. My only complaint is the showers. The temperature knobs are basically for show, you have the choice between scalding hot or ice cold.

Not having an overnight staff lead to a couple of very unpleasant bathrooms in the morning. There was no one motoring the drunks coming in late. The lounge area was tiny for the number of rooms. space between bunks was pretty tiny too.

From the moment my group arrived at The Hostel we were harassed by several other men staying there. We were staying in a 16 person dorm and we had left to go get some dinner after traveling all day, some of us his our backpacks under our blankets and pillows (because there weren't lockers big enough for backpacks) and we came back to our backpacks wide open and searched through. The area it is located is on the very outer edges of Edinburgh, quite far from the city center. Also Co-Ed bathrooms.

• 17th Jun 2015

Fantastic hostel with great facilities. Lots of space in the common area, comfy beds and small but functional kitchen. All the staff are really helpful. Wish I could stay longer!

Though staffs were helpful, the keys do not work too often. I had to make roommates wake up and open the room door to let me check out. I needed to leave breakfast in the fridge as the kitchen door does not open with the key. There are some people that keep chatting in the hall right outside the door till morning, which make it a bit hard to sleep well. But given the price, this should be acceptable.

• 15th Jun 2015
  • Japan

Pretty crowded and wifi was glitchy , though that was just on the days I was there I guess. No lockers for each bed. Key card were very temperamental. Mine stopped working in the middle of the night when I had to go to the bathroom. Had to knock loudly and wake someone up to open the door. Pretty far from downtown. Nice walk though

Rooms lack of ventilation in the 16 bed dorm rooms. Specially avoid 16 Bed Mixed Dorm next to the kitchen, very cramped and claustrophobic. Noisy and creaking beds. Kitchen needs some up-dating. Reception only works 8am-11pm then close after breakfast for 1-2.