The Hump Hostel Reviews

Jinmabiji Area, Jinbi Road, Kunming, China

wifi reception was poor even within the common area. The staff wasn't helpful nor friendly. the rooms we slept in are not worth their money with a/c not working and a very easy to pick lock (all you need is a credit card to open the door ot looked). The finish of the rooms was poor with gaps in between the floor parts. the absolute standout of the hostel was its location being in the centre of town and the great roof terrace. I dont like being negative but this was just our experience.

The lighting in the room could be brighter or at least supply with reading light in the room ,I was in a double room 418 n that consider there 's a bit of light when I open one of the window otherwise I guess the rest of the double room seem to be pitch black ,I've stayed there last year as well n also will be going back there again towards the end of my trips in China which could be as near as late May or early June.

• 9th Mar 2015

clean basic double room with clean shared bathroom. in great location close to shops, restaurants and train station. food in restaurant is reasonably priced and tasty! roof terrace is excellent place to chill out with a beer! common area is very comfortable with plenty of seating and wifi. would recommend this place due to its location. staff are helpful if you ask them anything but otherwise they just sit around. some dont speak english behind the bar but reception staff have good english.

Hostel was really nice, not as load as some guide-books say and equipped with a really nice roof terrace right in the middle of the City Centre. Unfortunately our room did not have any window and the toilets and showers were a bit smelly.

Hi,dear freinds,we are really sorry for your unsatisfied staying in the hump,we will try our best to improve.Thanks for your comment.

This place has it all; friendly staff, great food/drinks, clean quiet private rooms, laundry service and info re:Kunming and beyond-five stars!

• 1st Mar 2015

Hi,thank you for speaking hightly of our hostel,we are looking forward to seeing you next time.

The staff at the hump were extremely rude, not only to me but also other guests! I asked for some simple requests like the wifi password and a written address to a tourist site, and they acted like they were both painstaking tasks. While the hostel was nice, the attitude of the staff ruined my time there. There are many hostels in Kunming I would not recommend this one! In addition the room I had booked online wasnt even available upon my arrival.

Hi,dear freinds,we are really sorry for your unsatisfied staying in the hump,we will try our best to improve the facilities and all we need.Thanks for your comment.

Nice rooms , The toilets ️And shower are not the best but okay , the stuff was really unfriendly specially one Chinese guy he was always angry and didn't really want to help you !!!! Atmosphere is a bit strange in there !

• 20th Feb 2015

Hi,dear freinds,we are really sorry for your unsatisfied staying in the hump,sorry for everything made you unhappy.But there would be some misunderstanding as we know.The guy would like to help you,here was only one person working while many people waited for checking in and check out,he gave you the information as he knew.Anyway,this was our problem,we should pay more attertion. And thanks for your comment,we will improve everying we need.

Staff was most of the time nice and helpful, location is really good but - there is no map of the city (just the area of the hostel), no WIFI jn the rooms- just at the lobby and its not always working and the beds are really hard, even for china..

a very nice hostel in the middle of an oldtown district in kunming, up in the 3rd floor, with a really nice roof terrace, a pool table and a bar. the staff is nice, but sometimes english is not good spoken. but with a little patience on both sides, its ok :) the rooms (double bed room e.g.) are clean and nice, a bed with an electric blanket (I loved it), a table and two chairs, its enough and good. perhaps the wifi could be better, but this is just luxury. food and coffee here is pretty good!

Every time I come to kunming I stay here. All is good. Just make sure you use the hostels free supply of earplugs as it can sometime get noisy. I had to cancel my stay this time round as my flight changed to chengdu and the staff were helpful and friendly helping with the cancellation.

If you are looking for somewhere comfortable, clean and friendly to stay in Hanoi, you found it! Staff really makes this place,they go above and beyond their call of duty (booking fairly priced transfer to airport, packing take away breakfast for you, printing tickets..just a few examples) and are not pushy sellers. Great place to stay!

The main problem with this hostel is that it feels more like a hotel than a hostel. It is too big. Also we where surprised by the bathroom in our room, no door, no roof...

밤에 도착한지라 사이에 숨어있는 호스텔을 찾아가기가 좀 힘들었지만, 일어나보니 도시의 중심이라 기차역이랑은 가깝더라고요! 그점은 굉장히 좋았습니다! Dormitory에서 잤는데 샤워실 화장실이 좀 예상보다 안좋아서 불편했습니다ㅋㅋ밤에는 전기장판도 없어서 너무춥고ㅜㅜ딱 하룻밤만 자기좋은곳.

The shower was one of the worst in all hostels I stayed. Really dirty and the water pressure was like a bad joke. The room we stayed were really dark and horrid. Wouldn't stay there again. The only good thing is the location and nothing else.

Lots of room to eat and drink both inside and out. The pool table and table tennis table were great. Staff was happy to help where possible and also can aid in booking some tickets, if not they try to help with information. Consider extra travel time when getting to the main interchange bus stations, they are a trip away. Overall great experience, though keep in mind the lobby closes around 12-1am and the Internet can be tough to get in your room sometimes.

Close to be perfect :)

The hostel was amazing! Heating in the rooms would be appreciated, though

Good hostel with an excellent location near the center of Kunming. Stayed there twice and tried three different room types. The private room with ensuite was by far the best. It was clean, comfortable, and in a quiet part of the hostel. Not to mention, the only room that had guaranteed HOT WATER. Next best was the dorm room. Clean and comfortable for those who don't mind sharing a room, but the shared bathrooms weren't so great. Last, the private room with shared bathrooms. Too noisy outside.

A nice place to stay. The common room was great for socializing. The location was easy to get to and had lots of eateries nearby. The rooms were clean and spacious and the beds were very comfortable. Overall, a very well run hostel.

Good location, good food, good service.....highly recommend :)