The Independente Hostel & Suites Reviews

Rua Sao Pedro de Alcantara, 81, Lisbon, Portugal

Fantastic place, stayed with a large group and it worked out well. Excellent value.

I'm really struggling to rate this hostel. Location, design and furniture are unique and top-notch. Rooms are spacious, breakfast very reasonable. Washing room average, not much privacy, tiny sinks, and still no proper doors to the toilets, but I can cope with that. The point is, I am not convinced that the concept of combining a hostel with a fancy popular bar and restaurant open to the public works well, as it makes it difficult to meet other travellers, especially on the terrace

A grand old building facing one of Lisbon's favourite lookouts, The Independente offers enormous rooms and a most generous common area in the hostel section. Everything is very design, relaxed, clean and comfy. The rooms in the back of the first floor get the full blast of the music in the downstairs bar and restaurant (which sells 'hedonism without guilt' as well as food). Cramped bathrooms, good breakfast, great value and exceptionally caring staff. The area is becoming unbearably trendy.

Excellent hostel. The location is great, and the staff was incredible. They were able to answer all of our questions, gave us tips and info about the city, and even organized a surf lesson for us when we mentioned we wanted to try surfing. The Independente made our stay in Lisbon even better than expected.

• 7th Oct 2014

Really cool hostel. Interesting building with good facilities. Staff are friendly and approachable. Very clean, and in a good location.

Easily the best hostel I've stayed in! Easily. Very friendly (and pretty :) ) checkin staff, I got a tour around the place after checkin, and the room had wonderful high ceilings and big windows and a fan. A terrific restaurant, a nice bar, and there seemed to be a cleaner working there around the clock, I often saw her and it was always spotless. Close to Bairro Alto, a fantastic hostel.

This is one of the most delightful hostels I've been to. There is a lot of staff, and they are all super sweet and friendly. The terrace in the back is a haven of peace, quiet, shade, and cheap beer. The restaurant food is better than many hotels. The fact that there were families with children who looked like returning customers reinforces the image of a most delightful inn.

We had a great time staying at The Independente for a weekend! The staff is friendly and helpful. I would also recommend you to book a diner at the restaurant since the food is amazing, nice local crowd and friendly atmosphere.

• 26th Jul 2014

Great place. Clean, affordable and a good location. Downstairs reataurant is unreal too

The room was beautiful, the breakfast was amazing - we loved the location of the breakfast too with the view out over the city. We ate at the new restaurant on the roof and were slightly disappointed in the service - a little too fussy - however we were really impressed with the food and service in the Decadente, we will definitely be recommending it to friends.

• 29th Jun 2014

Great and beautiful hostel! Perfect location in Lisbon (barrio alto) and the showers were amazing. The staff on average was good but there was a cleaning lady who was totally disrespectful if you were in the bathroom brushing your teeth she would start cleaning the sink WHILE I was brushing my teeth like "get out of her way" sort of thing. Other than that great hostel but not a party hostel either.

Loved the place. Met the best people at this hostel on my month long trip. Staff was super friendly, they pointed out an awesome street to get some cheap tasty food.

The showers were a bit grotty and dirty The dorms at night got very hot and stuffy. At times it was very noisy too. The three story bunks were a bit flimsy. Overall it was good value though. The decor was contemporary most of the staff were friendly and helpful. The location and view from the dorms were amazing and the breakfast was great. I have enjoyed city breaks stopping in hostels for many years

The cleaning staff at the hostel were so nice and welcoming and made me feel at home, which was nice considering that the front desk staff acted like I was a bother and were not welcoming at all. Other than that, the hostel was clean and secure. When they play live music at night you'll be able to hear it all over the hostel, so you might want to bring ear plugs. Also they have listed nightly activities but I never heard about them or saw them actually doing them.

We've had a very pleasant stay in the Independente Hostel. Good location, a beautifull building with very high ceilings and a charming common room. Although the room was tiny for 6 people, there was for every bed a little storage box with a lock provided by the hostel. Good breakfast with bread, and for little extra money eggs, fruit e.g. Loved the happy hour and sangria night!

Looking back on my 4 month long euro trip, this is the best hostel I stayed in. Friendly staff, beautifully decorated, huge rooms, great location, safe, useable kitchen, fun bar, comfy beds, etc. Absolutely recommended.

The location is excellent and our dorm had an amazing view. Definitely value for money at least since I got a deal where I paid only for 2 night eventhough I spen 3 nights. No curtains in the dorm window though so it got light pretty early. And have dinner at ithe restaurant downstairs: the food was amazing!

Thank you very much for your review. We're sincerely happy that you attributed your stay such a good value for money and that you thoroughly enjoyed the food at our restaurant. We need to clarify one detail though: all our rooms do have big wood shutters that black out the light and reduce the noise coming from the street. Unfortunately you weren't aware of its presence during your stay and we apologise for the discomfort it caused. Hoping to welcome you again soon, The Independente Team

Great environment! The staff couldn't be nicer. The rooms are spacious and there are large drawers where you can store your bags safely.

• 29th May 2014