The Independente Hostel & Suites Reviews

Rua Sao Pedro de Alcantara, 81, Lisbon, Portugal

Very good hostel. Great atmosphere. Great stuff & nice breakfast. Cons: Poor wifi, not enough privacy in bathrooms

Pro: very good hostel, clean, great atmosphere, great breakfast, good location Cons: Wifi is a bit weak, not so much privacy in toilets

The Wifi was AWFUL. Absolutely terrible. I always had full bars and there was never a problem of recognizing the network, but the Wifi disconnected every few minutes and using the internet in spans longer than 3-5 min periods was annoying, frustrating, and sometimes just plain impossible. In today's day and age, Wifi (Internet) is necessary to book trips, to make reservations, to communicate, etc. so do *not* advertise that you have Wifi unless it actually works.

Daily weather forecase on the wall would be fantastic - important if its raining how to get to the main attaktion would be fantastic - eg. Cascais, by train, train goes every 20 minutes, price 4,80, it takes 30 minutes all in all independent is a fantastic hostel

• 22nd Jan 2015

I so wished the staff were a little more eager to help and greet the guests, I seriously felt like a ghost here as if nobody knew about me. But since it was partly a restaurant and pub it's excusable. The 5 euro diner with the staff was fair priced but greasy, not very nutritious and appetizing so better grab some diner elsewhere. After a few days I was starting to get a rash from the bedding, it may have been bites but I am not sure. Could be that they use very aggressive washing detergents.

The place is perfect! Well and beautifully located in front of a overview from where you can contemplate the whole historical part of lisbon, this hostel has really great facilities (common areas, kitchen) and I can only recommend. The staff (and they have plenty of it!) is kind and informative. The rooms are good too although the bunk beds are of 3 levels each but the ceilling are high (the place is in a old palace). Anyways, great and recommended place in Lisboa!

• 28th Nov 2014

Fantastic place, stayed with a large group and it worked out well. Excellent value.

I'm really struggling to rate this hostel. Location, design and furniture are unique and top-notch. Rooms are spacious, breakfast very reasonable. Washing room average, not much privacy, tiny sinks, and still no proper doors to the toilets, but I can cope with that. The point is, I am not convinced that the concept of combining a hostel with a fancy popular bar and restaurant open to the public works well, as it makes it difficult to meet other travellers, especially on the terrace

A grand old building facing one of Lisbon's favourite lookouts, The Independente offers enormous rooms and a most generous common area in the hostel section. Everything is very design, relaxed, clean and comfy. The rooms in the back of the first floor get the full blast of the music in the downstairs bar and restaurant (which sells 'hedonism without guilt' as well as food). Cramped bathrooms, good breakfast, great value and exceptionally caring staff. The area is becoming unbearably trendy.

Excellent hostel. The location is great, and the staff was incredible. They were able to answer all of our questions, gave us tips and info about the city, and even organized a surf lesson for us when we mentioned we wanted to try surfing. The Independente made our stay in Lisbon even better than expected.

• 7th Oct 2014