The Indy Hostel Reviews

4903 Winthrop Ave., Indianapolis, USA

Had a wonderful time. It's an excellent hostel with friendly staff. Would definitely recommend it

Clean place, homey feeling... AC could have been better through-out the house, though the basement was cool enough to sleep comfortably (co-ed dorm)... Lights being on during the night was somewhat obnoxious, especially since "quiet time" starts at 10pm; what's the point of quiet time if you can't sleep anyway with a light glaring at you? Anyway, overall a good experience... Would probably stay there again... Good neighborhood; good people...

• 19th Jul 2013

Far from the downtown. If you don't have a car, as in any other big city of US, the public transportation will not provide a good service (they don't have a late service Indy, at least in the time I was there...)

The staff were really nice, although not always around so sometimes it was difficult to find people to ask questions about things. It seemed like it could potentially be a fun place and probably fine in the main building, but we stayed in a smaller building next to the main one, which was really dirty and lots of bugs (as the hostel is in the woods in the middle of nowhere) and it smelt really badly of what we later found out was probably mold. Not the best...

I enjoyed the personality of the staff and how accommodating they were. I enjoyed the location in regards to Broad Ripple and how close in was to the Monon Trail. I would stay there again given the chance to return...which I may.

• 2nd Jun 2013

A very good and the only hostel in Indianapolis. I've visited this place in the weekend of the Indy 50a0. It's only little bit far to the citycenter but there are buses. If you've a car you can easy park it in the neighbourhood.

The hostel itself and the staff were great but its not ina very good location. Its easily 20 bucks to the downtown area. We had a private room that didn't lock which basically defeats the purpose of having a private room. The neighborhood also looked kinda dodgy.

A peacefull hostel that absolutely feels like home. Staff is helpfull and kind. It is a 5 minute walk to ''College Avenue''. which is a street full of nice bars. When you are a lonely young traveler, it can be hard to meet new people though, because the hostel is quite small. Therefore, I had to go to the bars/clubs alone in order to meet new people, which eventually was pretty nice. For 2 nights, this hostel was a great place to stay alone, but I would not stay there much longer.

stayed here a few times.

Repeat visitor to this location-friendly and courteous staff and economical.

• 3rd May 2013

The owner is the only staff, feel at home, like your the one take yourself, no free breakfast while the room rate is same to other hostel in chicago or LA, the other toilet is broke

It was definitely the slow season in the middle of winter in Indianapolis, but Indy Hostel was warm, relaxed, and plenty of full-size bottom bunks to choose from. Although it has two bus lines near it, being relatively far from Downtown/Fountain Square was kind of a bummer. City is pretty small though, so cab from Fountain Square on a Saturday night was only $12. Otherwise, during the day, buses take you around for only $4 for the day pass.

• 16th Feb 2013

There was something wrong with the room in that both my partner and I ended up with sore throats after sleeping there two nights..........it went away when we were not there. The estimate on the taxi was $5 too low. It was $20 to get to downtown, not $15.

• 18th Jan 2013
  • Couple, 41+

Great place to stay in a hip, yet quiet, neighborhood. Terrific staff and very friendly fellow travelers.

• 30th Dec 2012

Unbelievably friendly staff and a wonderful place to stay.

I loved the Indy Hostel. It was adorable and quaint. Very hospitable and welcoming. I really want to go back and stay longer. The only thing that was even remotely not good was that I got a little chilly while I was sleeping, and I'd say that is my own fault. I have already recommended this place to many people. I really enjoyed myself.

If you are in Indianapolis you simply must stay here. Do not settle for scary, expensive Motel Six. Staying here felt like being at a friend's house: very safe, warm, friendly. For a four night stay I paid about one hundred fifteen dollars but had one of the best stays I have had in the last year.

I have nothing but good things to say about Indy Hostel. Easily one of the best hostels that I have stayed in. It's in an old house that has lots of character, the staff were extraordinarily friendly and helpful, the place is in a great neighborhood with many local restaurants etc. nearby, and it's clean and peaceful. It was also a very good price. I'd recommend this place to anyone.

The Staff was really nice and the hostel is cozy and clean. Can definitely recommend it!

• 2nd Nov 2012

we had a great time, the folks at the hostel were warm, and found indy hostel really convenient to restaurants, parks, and music venues!

• 16th Oct 2012