The Jack Backpackers Reviews

Corner Sherdian and Spence Streets, Cairns, Australia

It's the best hostel ever!! I really loved my stay in there. People were so friendly and hostel staff a m a z i n g ! Free wifi, free really tasty dinner every night was the best thing ever! I recommend this hostel to everybody!

• 7th Oct 2014
  • Finland

Great hostel! We stayed in a double room/ share bathroom and was fine, all cleaned. Close to shops, pubs, the esplanade and train station. Staff are very friendly and very helpful!!! We would definately stay there again!!!!

• 27th Sep 2014

Rather loud at night, but practical facilities and certainly a place for someone who likes to party. Also nice that dinner is included and the meals are decent (I like healthier food, but that is just a taste issue…)

Really good atmosphere, lot more friendliness around this hostel. Rooms are average sizes but clean. Staff are very helpful and even the free evening meal is something different every night - not just your big standard pasta and sauce! Oh and you can take your own alcohol despite it being a licensed bar! Winner!!

There was a pub just beside the hostel,they were singing and dancing every night untile mid-nite,i can not sleep at all!

• 28th Aug 2014
  • China

Even though they say only loud music is late on fri-sat there was loud trance/ dance music going until 12:40am when no one was in the pub. That's not early to me.

• 25th Aug 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Jacks. The staff was really nice and the BBQs every Sunday where really good. I booked both my Whitsunday and Fraser tour there. Unfortunately the girl at the reception messed it up and booked both tours for days when there wouldn't be a tour running. I still could do the tours, just had to change plans a lot.

The pub music is really nice!!!!!

Best hostel I have stayed in in last year highly recommend it!

I enjoy staying at the jack ! Free wifi and free evening meal....recommend to everyone !!!

Stayed last weekend for the night! Very clean and friendly check in staff! Meal at night however for a vegetarian paying the extra money for a salad. Possibly a vegetarian option too with the meal included? Other than that we loved our stay and will definitely stay again!

• 26th Jul 2014
  • Scotland

I had a great time and lots of fun, very clean, great that maintenance people were checking on us every day, especially Harriett was very friendly and helpful. The only thing is it really is very loud over the weekend with the music. no way to get a good sleep before 2 am and we planned some trips and had to wake up early but you do mention it to people on the website and the info card at check in so i guess fair enough. but it really was too loud and disturbing. apart from that all thumbs up!!

• 15th Jul 2014
  • Poland

Brilliant location as its right in the cbd and only 20 mins from the airport. Staff were very helpful when needing information. Evening meals were decent and old atmosphere about the place. Was recommended myself and glad I booked it so def recommend to others.

• 8th Jul 2014

It's a nice hostel close to everything you need. They have some really fun activities at the bar. I really liked the big balcony where you can meet people and drink and just have a good time.

The staff were brilliant and very positive and helpful, you also got alot of bang for your buck. However if you are planning on doing anything other than partying. Do NOT stay here! The kitchen is near non functional with only a few working hobs, a broken microwave and no equipment . There is pretty much no chance of getting any sleep before 1am when everything settles down. The general atmosphere wasnt great. If you want to spend time on the reef and get a good nights sleep. Do not stay here.

• 2nd Jul 2014

I thought that the location was ideal, being very central location in Cairns city and only 4 blocks away from the Lagoon and bus terminals. The female and male staff were incredibly helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. Staying at The Jack was a good experience, I think the value was great with the free wifi, computer access in the front reception and free evening meal. I thought that the staff who organized the social activities at night were very inviting and made it alot of fun and engaging.

• 24th Jun 2014

Overall the hostel is great, but it is a party hostel so it gets really noisy at night. However, there is a curfew at 12 midnight so it usually means very minimal noise after that, unless you stay on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays then live music from the bar below goes right up to your room till 2am. Just don't expect to sleep very well here. Overall place is clean and has good facilities, even free dinner! Although they do charge extra for vegetarian meal options, citing a "lifestyle choice".

They do warn you it's loud and there not joking. But its a good place nice atmosphere and great people

People were very unsocial and wouldn't even greet when in kitchen or common areas. Nothing in the kitchen really worked, so after one try couldn't bother to try and cook dinner for myself. The free dinner is a joke :) Staff friendly but girl at the front desk booked us a car for visiting the caves "close by" when we were collecting the car they told us its 3 hours drive away and that we needed a 4wd car to go there. Skipped that trip so..

Just a normal hostel. No nice communal lounge. Staff was good and helpful.