The Jack Backpackers

Fabulous 602 Total Reviews

• England, Female, 25-30
13th Apr 2017
7.4

I chose jack backpackers mainly to save money on my evening meal as the price included this. I usually choose hostels with free breakfast to try and save money but instead opted for this package. I was very disappointed as the meals were very small and I ended up spending more money on going out for takeaway food a few hours later. You are also given a bed number which is really pointless. You should b able to choose a bed of your choice I.e. I would prefer to choose a bed away from the aircon.

11th Apr 2017

Overall, we had a great stay here as it is a fantastic hostel. The free evening meals make it even better. Walking distance from Gilligans if you want to go there. Drink deals in the pub below are also good, and there's a good atmosphere about the place. One downside was the rude long haired security guard who had a go at me because I was sat out on the balcony on the phone to my parents, but not to the group who were drinking out there.. strange! That aside, it's a great place.

• England, Female, 18-24
7th Apr 2017
8.0

A really great hostel, especially if you're on a budget - I travelled all over Australia and didn't find anywhere else that offered a free meal every evening. Free Wifi was also a good added bonus. The hostel could have felt a little cleaner, especially around the toilets and shower area but considering what you pay for, I wouldn't complain. My only issue was that it could be quite loud well into the early hours. Great if you want to join in, not so much if you have an early start.

20th Mar 2017
4.3

Stayed at this hostel on two occasions and by God did it suck. Their big problem is the atmosphere, or the lack thereof. You feel like they just cramp people together to make money, without any regard of the guests. The microwaves doesn't work, the kitchen is nasty and the music from the bar is really loud, even on weekdays. There is free dinner included which is good, but with the large number of hostels in cairns I wouldn't ever book this one

12th Mar 2017

Very spacious and large hostel that was pretty clean. Free dinner at the bar next door was a great bonus and the live music was fantastic as well, however if you go on a weekend be prepared to hear loud music later into the night. Facilities were just alright, they weren't the greatest but they weren't bad either. In the end I would recommend if you're looking for something that's close to everything and is a bit more lively

• England, Female, 25-30
12th Mar 2017

Ridiculously squeaky beds... every time you moved slightly the whole bed would shake and squeak very very loudly. Other than that, great free dinner portions, good location (everything in cairns is pretty to each other) and good toilets/showers.

• England, Female, 18-24
11th Mar 2017

Really great hostel to stay in, air con in the rooms and if you're lucky like me you'll get a balcony too with really nice views. Wifi actually is free which was really nice considering most other hostels I've stayed in whilst in aus made you pay for it. The only downside is that the bar next door plays music really loud until late so if you don't sleep easily with noise you might have some trouble. Really close to amenities and the reef marina. Rooms were really nice and spacious though.

• New Zealand, Female, 25-30
10th Mar 2017

Counter women very Helpful (Blonde lady, forgot her name unfortunately) very thorough and attentive listened to my excitable stories. I appreciate that the website and The Jacks website clearly states that there will be noise until the early hours of the morning (during weekends) they set a clear expectation. I was still able to get to sleep though as excursions during the day made me exhausted haha,

• USA, Female, 25-30
4th Mar 2017
6.0

An okay place to stay for a party... Was not a fan of the shared male & female bathrooms and the kitchen was terrible.

13th Feb 2017
4.0

Dirty hostel with very freely beds. I was late to check in and they charged me a $30 dollar late check in fee. I let them know I was checking out early and they said they would give me the deposit back. They never did such a thing.

Hi, Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We do try to keep our hostel as clean as possible by cleaning all the rooms every day & the common areas 3 times a day. We are sorry to hear it wasn't up to your standard. We did not charge you a late check in fee, we charged you a $20 key deposit which we refunded on your credit card on the day of your check out. Refund processing time is 2 to 10 days. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need a copy of your receipt. We'll be happy to help you :) Enjoy the rest of your travels, Myriam Kirby - Hostel Manager