The Jack Backpackers Reviews

Corner Sherdian and Spence Streets, Cairns, Australia

Pub next door is extremely loud, so much so that shakes the walls of the hostel. Apart from that a great place to stay.

Nice, big dorm room with ensuite. Decent free meal each night with the option to double up for $3. Reception staff always helpful. Decided to stay 6 nights in the end.

Jack is huge, it's lacking of atmosphere. The pub downstairs tries to be a party place but failing badly. terrible music. The happy hour is nice though. Aswell for the free diner every night! Wifi is free but has bad coverage and is slow. location is ok. Rooms are clean and fine, but you do hear the terrible music in your room at least till 1 am. If you want to party, go elsewhere, jack really sucks at it and is way to expensive for what you get (25 dollars a night)

Jack's Backpackers is definitely the best hostel I've stayed at during my time in Australia. Really appreciated the free dinner, strong air conditioning, and room lockers. Particularly grateful to a member of the staff who went above and beyond in helping me plan out two day trips on such short notice. The other guests tend to get a bit noisy, as there is a bar downstairs, but it's manageable. Also, I would have liked a blanket as the AC is really very effective. Would definitely recommend!

• 17th Nov 2014

I wasn't expecting much but it was impossible to sleep before 2-3 am because of very loud music just outside in the pub and walls that were paper-thin. Go there if you want to party definitely, but this wasn't the place for me.

Had a great stay at the Jack. Met some great people that were also staying there. Room was across from the BBQ area, which is shielded from the Jack Bar by some trees. You could hear/feel the music at night, so pack some ear plugs. The music shuts down fairly early into the night, we did not mind. Short walk to the grocery store, the Esplanade, major bars in the area, and pier if you are doing any water excursions. Would recommend and stay there again.

• 6th Nov 2014

We spent 5days here. It was really clean, not too busy or noisy considering it seemed to have a rep for being a 'party hostel'. The most noise came from the music down in the bar on the weekends but that usually ended at 2am so it wasn't too bad, it wasn't even that loud and we stayed at the top of the stairs(rm13). Free meals each night were really delish and helped save money too for the drinks also on discount if you stayed there. We had a good time and would go back again.

Fun place to stay with a large bar below the rooms and in a very central location. It is a bit loud and lots of partying but not as crazy or noisy as Gilligan's. Great staff working the reception area who helped us plan out our time there and even in other areas of Australia which was great.

It's the best hostel ever!! I really loved my stay in there. People were so friendly and hostel staff a m a z i n g ! Free wifi, free really tasty dinner every night was the best thing ever! I recommend this hostel to everybody!

• 7th Oct 2014
  • Finland

Great hostel! We stayed in a double room/ share bathroom and was fine, all cleaned. Close to shops, pubs, the esplanade and train station. Staff are very friendly and very helpful!!! We would definately stay there again!!!!

• 27th Sep 2014

Rather loud at night, but practical facilities and certainly a place for someone who likes to party. Also nice that dinner is included and the meals are decent (I like healthier food, but that is just a taste issue…)

Really good atmosphere, lot more friendliness around this hostel. Rooms are average sizes but clean. Staff are very helpful and even the free evening meal is something different every night - not just your big standard pasta and sauce! Oh and you can take your own alcohol despite it being a licensed bar! Winner!!

There was a pub just beside the hostel,they were singing and dancing every night untile mid-nite,i can not sleep at all!

• 28th Aug 2014
  • China

Even though they say only loud music is late on fri-sat there was loud trance/ dance music going until 12:40am when no one was in the pub. That's not early to me.

• 25th Aug 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Jacks. The staff was really nice and the BBQs every Sunday where really good. I booked both my Whitsunday and Fraser tour there. Unfortunately the girl at the reception messed it up and booked both tours for days when there wouldn't be a tour running. I still could do the tours, just had to change plans a lot.

The pub music is really nice!!!!!

Best hostel I have stayed in in last year highly recommend it!

I enjoy staying at the jack ! Free wifi and free evening meal....recommend to everyone !!!

Stayed last weekend for the night! Very clean and friendly check in staff! Meal at night however for a vegetarian paying the extra money for a salad. Possibly a vegetarian option too with the meal included? Other than that we loved our stay and will definitely stay again!

• 26th Jul 2014
  • Scotland

I had a great time and lots of fun, very clean, great that maintenance people were checking on us every day, especially Harriett was very friendly and helpful. The only thing is it really is very loud over the weekend with the music. no way to get a good sleep before 2 am and we planned some trips and had to wake up early but you do mention it to people on the website and the info card at check in so i guess fair enough. but it really was too loud and disturbing. apart from that all thumbs up!!

• 15th Jul 2014