The LightHouse Reviews

Barao da Torre, 175. Casa 20, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Nice quite hostel only stayed one night was good to crash for the night and staff were very nice

the staff and the owner are very nice and gave us a lot of helpful insider-tips (all in very good english). The atmosphere was chilled, warm and uncomplicated. The double room was musty, but it had a window (more for light than for air) and it was big and quite. For us it was because of the great staff, the location and the good price one of the best hostels in Rio.

Alex is a great host, the hostel is well located in Ipanema, a cool neighbourhood

small, quiet and very good located place.. poor facilities, cleaness regular in both tiny bathrooms, but good value for money, OK to spend there 2 o 3 days in Rio de Janeiro

Fantastic hostel! Though it may be small, this gives it a home-y feel. Silvia is brilliant and makes you feel right at home - happy to help with suggestions, advice, directions, etc. Milton and Sergio are absolutely brilliant as well and take care of the place during the evenings. The location is a couple minutes walk from Ipanema beach, which is gorgeous. Easy tram link to get to the city and plenty of delicious restaurants around. Highly recommend staying here!!

Enjoyed this hostel. Knowledgeable and friendly staff. Breakfast has fresh bread and.fruit. Very small so not a party hostel but still sociable. close to metro, bus stops, shops and banks AND the beach.

I had an excellent stay at the Lighthouse. The location, staff and hostel itself were all wonderful. It is small and quiet, so if you are looking for a party hostel this is not the place. But if you are looking for somewhere clean, with friendly and helpful staff, and a good nights sleep, then this is a great option. Thanks Nina for the chat and all the tips about places to see in the city. Hopefully I'll be back to stay again!

• 24th Jul 2014

A great hostel in Ipanema. Not a party hostel so not for everyone. It was perfect for my husband & I. It's in a cute little "village" along with some residences and other hostels.

Had a great stay, the staff were all great and made me feel very welcome. The only issue I had was that the bathrooms were a bit dirty and the hot water wasn't working for a couple of days. Also I felt that increasing the room rates by 400% because of the world cup was excessive. I appreciate that its a high demand event but paying $125 a night for a bed in a tiny 8 room dorm is extortionate.

The LightHouse was simply amazing. It was my first hostel experience and I was pretty worried about travelling to South America, but I was soon put at easy by the fantastic staff and people on the area. It has a very nice atmosphere

• 6th Jun 2014

The location was great and the hostel was friendly and small. The air conditioning was not working so sleep was a bit hard to get. We felt very safe and had a great stay.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels