The LightHouse Reviews

Barao da Torre, 175. Casa 20, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Awesome hostel! Perfect location near the beach, restaurants, metro and ATMs, good breakfast, great wifi, very clean! We booked 3 nights and ended up staying 6. Silvia is the best and Alex is awesome, they provide all the information you need and are super friendly and chatty! Had a great time in Rio at this hostel thanks you guys!

Sylvie and her team were great hosts and helped us settle into Rio and the local area of Ipanema very well. Security guy on duty overnight , felt safe at night. Good coffee and breakfast provided every morning. Shared bathroom/kitchen facilities were ok and we had the only private room in hostel which was spacious and clean. Brilliant location to beach/lake/bars etc with botecos on every street corner!

Nice place to stay. Very small, nothing flashy about it, but the hosts are friendly and very willing to help, and it is in a nice location.

nice place located near Ipanema beach. facilities are very clean, staff is very friendly and great atmosphere overall.

• 4th Aug 2015
  • Mexico

A very well run hostel in Ipanema - friendly and helpful staff. Ideal if you want to relax.

Really awesome hostel with cool vibe and great staff. It is small (room for 9 guests) but it's what you make of it and this was perfect for my final days of my trip. Hung out with Alex who was awesome and Slyvia is a lovely person. Would reco to anyone and I hate writing recos ... Think this is my second in 6 months.

Highly recommended stay at the Lighthouse. Location is a few block from Ipanema, breakfast of fresh bread, ham, cheese and fresh fruit was spot on. Is not a party hostel, but allows for interaction with other guests and staff are incredibly helpful.

I had a great stay! Thanks :)

• 10th Jul 2015
  • Argentina

This was a great hostel to start our journey through Brazil. It's located in ipanema around many food places and bars. The staff is great. Alex was super friendly and made sure to help us plan our whole time in rio and gave us excellent recommendations. His great energy and great attitude made our stay at the hostel very enjoyable. Thales, who worked the afternoon shift was very nice and also gave us good recommendations. We would definitely come back! We also felt very safe around here.

Staff very helpful and friendly. Good breakfast. Good wifi connection. Thought expensive. Paid 75 reals for 8 bed dorm. Across the yard paid 40 for 5 bed dorm. On the hostelworld.com site the hostel said "selling out soon" but I was the only guest in the dorm during four day stay.

Wonderful hostel, perfect for exploring. Fantastic staff who couldn't be kinder or more helpful. Absolutely recommended for anybody looking to explore Rio and relax on Ipanema.

My boyfriend and I stayed in the private double room with a shared bathroom. The room was big and reasonably comfortable. It is a small hostel but the staff are very friendly and helpful. They were happy to assist us in booking a taxi to the airport at a very cheap rate and also helping to book tickets to Christ the Redeemer. The location is perfect and close to the beach, restaurants, stores, the metro station and a nice market on Sundays. Good value for money if you are on a budget.

The owner and staff are great. Thoughtful, warm and helpful. Very good shower and excellent breakfast. Ipanema much better feel than Copacabama. All very convenient. A lovely 5 night stay. ould recommend without hesitation unless you are looking for a noisy party hostel.W

Terrible value for the money. I think the only thing you pay for it the location..and that's a bit too pricey. With the moment we arrived we had some miscommunication with the owner about the price and it took us an hour to make any reasonable sollution. Then the stuff..nobody showed us around and told us anything but at the end we were expected to wash after our breakfast while the stuff was just sitting there watching tv and having nothing to do..for 85/night that's a super low service!

• 18th May 2015
  • Poland

I stayed for 12 nights in this ideally located hostel 2 blocks from beautiful Ipanema Beach. I was looking for a more chilled out and relaxed place to stay (27 year old single male traveller from Ireland) I was not looking for a crazy party hostel, as that can be done in Rio but I wanted a chilled laid back atmosphere. The location is ideal. The staff are really great and so helpful. They genuinely seem to care about your stay. Alex especially is really great and a very kool guy,Carioca da Gema.

• 13th May 2015

Great location very close to the beach. Silvi an Alex really friendly and helpful. Nice relaxed and friendly atmosphere

Amazing friendly staff. Very clean. Great location!

• 17th Apr 2015
  • Austria

This is one of the best hostels I've ever been. Silvia (the owner) and all the staff are really friendly. They clean the rooms and the bathrooms every day. The breakfast is really good including some local fruits. The wifi is really good for a hostel. It is a small and quite hostel with great location. I definitively recomend it. The only bad thing that I could say is that they don´t accept credit cards.

I can't say enough about these guys, they were fantastic. The hostel is in a prime location to the beaches and amazing cafes, shops and clubbing. Sylvia is brilliant and gave an amazing overview of the city my first morning, maps and guides. The whole works. When I wanted to stay another night and they were fully booked, helped me sort a bed next door. They were great!

The Lighthouse is perfectly located in Rio - down the same street as the metro station and just a brief walk from both Ipanema and Copacabana beach. It's pricey, but it really is the best place to stay in the city. The hostel itself was pretty average. Staff ranged from helpful and informative to lazy and uncooperative. The rooms were fine, nothing special but then this is a hostel. You get a free continental breakfast every morning and the wifi works well.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels