The LightHouse Reviews

Barao da Torre, 175. Casa 20, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Really nice place, staff are great. Bit quiet for me.

This place is small but to its advantage creating a lovely atmosphere for people to get to know each other or have their space. The location is great, the staff and owner are lovely too. One of my favourite hostels so far!

• 19th Feb 2015

The location is great - a couple of blocks to Impanema beach and a metro station. Also lots of great restaurants.

Great welcome from Sylvia who knows all the cool places in Rio. A short stroll to the best beach in the city through a lovely street of shops and restaurants. The street the hostel is on is lovely and quiet at night - a Rio rarity. Highly recommended!

The helpful staff and atmosphere in this hostel is unrivalled to any hostel we have ever stayed in. Alex, Linda and Sylvia are a brilliant help to helping figure out what to do and where to go in Rio and there friendly personalities create a relaxed positive atmosphere in the hostel. Stayed in the private room which was clean and spacious. The only drawback in this hostel was the internet signal is very bad if you want to use it on your phone but there is a PC there that you can use.

Great staff and great location. Very helpful specially Linda, the hostel manager. Location is obviously very good if you're into beach in Rio. To be honest I like ipanema beaches and bars better than pretentious Copacabana (I stayed there for couple of nights for New Years too). Also end of subway line is just steps from hostel. Lighthouse is pretty small - so if you're a mature traveller or couple and not into partying in hostel, then it's a good choice :)

The day stay was friendly, However, the female owner was extremely hostile to my friend and I when we wanted to negotiate a cancellation that was done at 12:30pm (cut-off time was 12pm). We approached her in a professional and she was extremely condescending and rude. In the end, she saw our perspective and since we stay calm and collective she eventually warmed up to us and we settled on the cancellation fee. However, her initial approach left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Had a great time in the hostel, met some really nice people. The hostel has a double room and a 6 person dorm. We had the double room, plenty of space and great value. Excellent location. Staff are very helpful and friendly.

Could not be happier of having chosen this hostel. Everyone working there is super friendly and helpful, and since its located in a closed little alley it is super safe and comfortable. Although it is small it is super cozy and very well located (felt super safe walking around the neighbourhood. This is my hostel of choice from now on in Rio.

Nice quite hostel only stayed one night was good to crash for the night and staff were very nice

the staff and the owner are very nice and gave us a lot of helpful insider-tips (all in very good english). The atmosphere was chilled, warm and uncomplicated. The double room was musty, but it had a window (more for light than for air) and it was big and quite. For us it was because of the great staff, the location and the good price one of the best hostels in Rio.

The staff make this place as it's so small great for meeting people. It's clean and in cute location in a courtyard. Other than that not much else going on re organised events or facilities etc. Average breakfast. Decent value given rio is a pricier location in South America.

Alex is a great host, the hostel is well located in Ipanema, a cool neighbourhood

small, quiet and very good located place.. poor facilities, cleaness regular in both tiny bathrooms, but good value for money, OK to spend there 2 o 3 days in Rio de Janeiro

Fantastic hostel! Though it may be small, this gives it a home-y feel. Silvia is brilliant and makes you feel right at home - happy to help with suggestions, advice, directions, etc. Milton and Sergio are absolutely brilliant as well and take care of the place during the evenings. The location is a couple minutes walk from Ipanema beach, which is gorgeous. Easy tram link to get to the city and plenty of delicious restaurants around. Highly recommend staying here!!

Enjoyed this hostel. Knowledgeable and friendly staff. Breakfast has fresh bread and.fruit. Very small so not a party hostel but still sociable. close to metro, bus stops, shops and banks AND the beach.

I had an excellent stay at the Lighthouse. The location, staff and hostel itself were all wonderful. It is small and quiet, so if you are looking for a party hostel this is not the place. But if you are looking for somewhere clean, with friendly and helpful staff, and a good nights sleep, then this is a great option. Thanks Nina for the chat and all the tips about places to see in the city. Hopefully I'll be back to stay again!

• 24th Jul 2014

A great hostel in Ipanema. Not a party hostel so not for everyone. It was perfect for my husband & I. It's in a cute little "village" along with some residences and other hostels.

Had a great stay, the staff were all great and made me feel very welcome. The only issue I had was that the bathrooms were a bit dirty and the hot water wasn't working for a couple of days. Also I felt that increasing the room rates by 400% because of the world cup was excessive. I appreciate that its a high demand event but paying $125 a night for a bed in a tiny 8 room dorm is extortionate.

The LightHouse was simply amazing. It was my first hostel experience and I was pretty worried about travelling to South America, but I was soon put at easy by the fantastic staff and people on the area. It has a very nice atmosphere

• 6th Jun 2014