The Local NYC Reviews

13-02 44th Avenue, Queens, New York, USA

Great location, great staff, very clean. Exactly as it looks in the photos. Amazing view from the roof.

Good facilities, clean rooms, the staff were friendly and helpful. If I was to go back to New York I'd stay here again.

• 20th Apr 2015

Exceptionally clean, functional and well-designed. My room was spotless and had a very comfortable bed. The kitchen is small but okay. Awesome terrace on the roof. A small "security" disfunction I must point out: Every bed had a nice sturdy locker and a free locks. However, the lockers are flawed: the back panel of them is cheap thin broad which peels of with only slight effort. Thus, they are a false sense of security. It should be fixed with some plywood! At least, the rooms lock well.

Staff was great! Super friendly and helpful. Was clean and close to several transit lines and food at all hours. The only down I had was I had some food in the fridge that was labeled and got thrown out the first day so I didn't have breakfast one morning. So really worst things could happen.

• 16th Apr 2015

Friendly staff (reception were amazing, Hannah at the bar was lovely and they both had great tips on the local area). The location was safe and convenient for Manhatten and Brooklyn and there were loads of activities going on at the bar (drink and draw was a personal favourite). The rooms were super comfy and clean. Overall I couldn't recommend this place enough! Thanks guys :)

Amazing hostel in a brilliant location. 2 stops on the subway and you are at 5th and Lexington. Although the kitchen is not that well equipped, it has the basics for you to cook a simple meal. The staff were bubbly and ever helpful, and I always felt safe and welcomed. Thanks for a brilliant week!

Great location (close to subway). Room was clean. Nice and friendly staff. I can even store my luggage here while I went out of NY.

I had a really lovely stay. The main tourist places were really easy to get to from the hostel and the staff were helpful with helping me understand where to go. I have already recommended this place to my friends who are planning on going to NY and would definately go back!

• 8th Apr 2015

We stayed for 5 nights and found the hostel very welcoming, the subway was undergoing maintenance during the night which meant we had to get taxis back after an evening in Manhattan, but the during the day the subway stop made it very convenient to get around. We never had a chance to get a drink at the bar, but it seemed very nice. There's a lovely diner round the corner "Aunt Rosie's" which I would recommend for a nice cheap breakfast.

Great hostel ... close to manhattan via subway, clean and modern facilities/furnishing, and friendly staff. Dorm bunks included huge trunks underneath with free lock and key for use during stay and checked luggage for $1/$5 overnight. Atmosphere was lively and inviting, staff were all friendly and went out of their way to chat and help - especially Yvonne and Aramie. One of the best we've stayed at yet!

• 6th Apr 2015

Really enjoyed my stay! While not in Manhatten, this hostel is very well connected. The staff was very friendly and forthcoming, the rooms were clean, the bed was very comfy and the bar was always a fun place to hang out. If I come back to NYC, I will stay here again!

Loved it! A small hairdryer in each room would be nice though.

• 3rd Apr 2015

I was only here for two days visiting friends, but that was enough to feel the nice atmosphere. Wish I had had more time to hang out at their bar!

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • Denmark

The location wasn't too bad as the place is only 2 blocks from subway and then you're one stop from Manhattan or Brooklyn. This is NYC, so accommodation is expansive anywhere. I booked this place bc of good reviews. The place was actually cool. Bed was very comfy and clean rooms. Stuff and hang out areas were great. When I comeback to NYC and if this place continues to have good reviews I'll stay there again. Make sure order good breakfast pies and cappuccino for breakfast:)

Excellent hostel! Sophia and Marck are the best personal in the front desk!!!!!!!! I recomend THE LOCAL HOSTEL Clean, sure, and very good ubication. Muy buen hostel, la ubicación es buena y el barrio seguro. Sophia y Marck los mejores en la recepción!!!!!!

• 1st Apr 2015
  • Argentina

We really enjoyed our stay there. Nonetheless I found it a bit expensive, given that there is nothing directly around (like culture spots, bars, nightlife etc.) in contrast to other hostels who charge the same price in Manhattan.

• 1st Apr 2015

Like the vibe of the place, but would recommend stiffer mattresses.

Very nice experience: Clean, friendly staff, good location and efficient use of interior space. Enjoyed the bar coordinated with the hostel, lower than espected prices for NYC. Looking forward to staying here at a future time.

I was apart of a student group from California. We had a conference in Manhattan. The Local was perfect for us as it provided us a safe comfortable stay at a budgeted price and was only a 10 minute train ride into the city. In addition, Hannah the Bartender was just an all around great time. If you have time ask her about her band!!!

• 29th Mar 2015

Don't expect a party hostel here. The hostel is really quiet. The bar is nice and the people there are cool though. The location is really not that nice as it feels as it is in the middle of an industry area and it gets really dark and lonely there at night.

• 28th Mar 2015