The Local NYC Reviews

1302 44th Avenue, Queens, New York, USA

Great for the price. Very clean. Not a lot of people , but the environment was comfortable.

• 6th Dec 2014
  • Mexico

Very helpful and friendly staff. Only one stop away from Manhattan. Live music on Wednesday was great. Nice bar and excellent coffee in the morning. One of the best places I have ever been, especially in New York City. I will definitely come back to the local.

Nice staff, nice hostel, good atmosphere, bit expensive, but I guess that's just NYC

I have stayed in some places in NYC before, and this was definitely one of the best! Nice stuff, great location, clean hostel! If I go back, I probably stay here again! :)

The hostel and room were very clean. Close to a couple of metro station. I wish they had more food there as there's not much around the area to eat.

The 24HR reception at The Local NYC was a great convenience. Especially helpful for air travel passengers who have to be check out at irregular hours of the day. The few times that I did interact with the staff they were extremely helpful and genuinely interested in being of assistance. A vending machine with foodstuffs would be a nice convenience.

• 27th Nov 2014
  • Zimbabwe

Definitely will be back!

The bed is good. No noise when i am moving on the bed. Locker is free but it is on the floor so I rarely used that locker, inconvenience. Feature is that shower booth, toilet and the sink are divided. But all are too small space so it is really inconvenient. There is a bar and cafe so it is good but the atmosphere is soso. location is a little bit far from the hot place about 20~30minutes. Overall, this hostel is Okay but considering the price its is good enough.

• 26th Nov 2014
  • South Korea

I liked the cafe and the hall. Very big and good industrial design. My 4 beds girl dorm was quiet and clean. The bed was confortable. Lots of room to sit and read plus a video projector to watch movies. Except for the (NY) price which I found too expensive for a hostel i found the rest all good.

Staff was super nice and helpful, place was clean, beds were the most comfortable I've ever had in a hostel, the vibe of the place was amazing, etc. etc. etc.! Some may complain that it's not downtown, but the neighbourhood is worth discovering and to be in a neighbourhood that's a little more quiet and just a short subway ride into the downtown craziness is the best of both worlds. See you next time I'm in NYC!

A great stay at this hostal, I was there 5 nights, the room was cleaned daily to a high level, felt more like a hotel then hostal at times! The staff were friendly and polite, always ready to help. Whilst it is located out of Manhattan a 5 minute metro ride(stop just round the corner from hostal) took you into Manhattan which was easy to navigate. All in all a great stay, would definelty recommend! I will be staying again my next trip to NYC!

This very nice hostel is definitively one of my favourite. There is always (except on Thanksgiving) some sort of activity going on in the evening (e.g. drink & draw!). The staff is absolutely great, friendly and helpful. :) I also do like the hostel's location, because it is outside of Manhattan and yet still close and easy to get to.

Great hostel and amazing staff. The facilities are all very new and clean. The staff are super friendly and always up for a chat. Wish we could have spent more time hanging out at the hostel and taking advantage of all the awesome events they run (bonus tip: don't forget to try some of the amazing beers at the bar).

The Local NYC is an excellent choice for its location (very near 23 Street/Court Square Metro Station). From here you can take metro directly to Times Square, Central Park and Port Authority Bus Terminal. The place is newly renovated, everything looks clean and modern. What I love best is the hall where everyone can read and talk. The kitchen is also very well equipped and there are 2 gigantic fridges for you to store your food. If you like a beer or a margaritta, the bar is right there.

Staff are friendly and helpful, bar and coffee shop is a great idea and a good place to make friends. Good location (metro stop is 2 minutes around the corner), you can be right in the thick of it within 10 minutes. I actually quite liked coming back somewhere quiet, no traffic or noise from the road so a good nights sleep is guaranteed - plus the beds are super comfy and warm! The rooms are clean and neat, 4 bed dorms. Would stay here again. Maybe they could include a basic breakfast.

The staff were friendly and extremely helpful, providing directions to public transportation, recommendations on nearby places to eat, and even helping me get a free taxi ride through 'Uber' (which I had never heard of). I liked the under bed boxes to secure my belongings and the card entry to hallways added a layer of security I appreciated. The location was great, close to the Subway and just 2 stops from the heart of Manhattan.

• 14th Nov 2014

Seemed pricy--$60+/night for a bed in a four person dorm--but I guess that's par for the course for NYC. Super easy to get to Manhattan on the subway. Facilities were good, beds were pretty comfy for bunk beds, everything was very clean, roof had a nice view. Staff was great, especially the bartender, who took a few of us to a hole in the wall around the corner after closing time at the hostel's bar (though we left soon after due to one guy's enthusiasm about a basketball game). Good place.

I'm enjoy these hip new city hostels, but it would be also awsome iif besides improving atmospheres...they added some cool dorm options, like a dorm room for quiet respectful of others travelers who desire to get to sleep abefore midnight and thus not be awakened by late night chef and late night revelers. Also you could set the dorm lamps on dimmer timers so that when kate night folk return, and turn on the lights...they dont wake those sleeping with brightness!

Thanks for the comments! Sorry you didn't have the best roommates :( The idea about dimmer timers is a good one! We'll look into that and see if it's feasible. I'm glad you think we're hip at least! I hope you'll come back again soon.

Really close to Manhattan by subway. All the staff were friendly and the facility is great - everything is new, clean, and very hip. Beds very comfortable. More hooks or towel rods in the showers would've been useful. As for security, they use swipe cards but they're not needed until you get to your floor, and often the hallway doors were propped open or didn't close properly (maybe just on second floor?). Got a free subway map but a detailed street map would've been useful too. Great stay!

Thanks for the feedback. We really appreciate everyone's honest opinions. The hallway doors are propped during that day for the houskeepers to move around freely, but they should be closed during the evening and night. The doors to the rooms all should close and lock. I'll look into the problem. Thanks for pointing it out!

I liked the staff and cleanses of the place. They provide lockers under your bed and offer to lend you a lock if you don't have one. I recommend this place and I would stay there again the next time in NYC

• 10th Nov 2014
  • Mauritania

We're happy to hear it. We hope you're be back soon!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7