The Local NYC Reviews

13-02 44th Avenue, Queens, New York, USA

This was such a lovely and quiet hostel, no noise from traffic or other guests. I was worried being a solo female traveler and arriving at night. But I took the subway and felt very safe and the walk from the subway to the hostel is short and very safe. I would definitely stay here again.

• 19th May 2015

Minus: The hostel had no breakfast. The breakfast to buy in the bar, consisting of sweet muffins was nothing for me. A real breakfast at the accomodation saves time. Plus: A grocery store only 3½ minutes (walking) away. There, it is possible to buy something for breakfast. The entrance to subway lines E and M is only 3 minutes away and addtional 6 minutes to lines G and 7. You go quickly to Manhattan by subway.There are two power outlets at each bed. Computers with Internet, WIFI. A kitchen.

Tiny bathrooms with no shelves, no coat racks (except the one for the towel), or chairs, or a table in the room. The owners are being as economical as they can. I may be worth the money (although I'm not realy sure about it), but don't have any high expectations about the place.

It looks fantastic and everything is new and clean. I didn't feel like the staff was nice and happy to help you, usually short answers and not really interested. Location is close to subway, neighbourhood is industrial area so pretty boring. Restaurants close around 10pm (it's New York?). The bar is awesome but difficult to meet other travellers if you're a bit shy and the common room is full with people working on laptops. I would choose a cosier hostel next time with activities.

Great place for the money. Great staff

I had a fantastic stay at The Local. I was lucky enough to be there at the same time as a local arts event was happening but I'm sure it would be great any time. The rooms were cleaclean with good facilities, the nightly events were great and the location was perfect, easy access to the city but far enough away to have some peace!

Awesome hostel! I will recommend this to all my friends travelling to New York, and would stay there again myself. Great place to meet with locals and travellors at the bar (which is reasonably inexpensive compared with the rest of New York. And when you head back to your room everything is so well set up with towel racks, storage bins and comfy beds.

• 12th May 2015

A beautiful modern, clean hostel. Very slick. Pretty good location, just east of Manhattan. Staff are all very helpful and approachable. Daily housekeeping services. Great ensuite bathroom but shower needs a shelf for soap & shampoo. A little pricey but it's NYC. Kitchen lacks a proper stove, only a couple hot plates. Can't really cook dinner. Security is A+ with key card access. Lockers under each bunk. Nice desk areas to work with laptops.

Sometimes 1st floor was full of people both who were visiting the cafe&bar and actual guests. It may not that uncomfortable for someone, but I felt like I should escape from them and stay in my room or whatever.

I only stayed one night because I had made friends in a different city who were staying at Q4 (avoid at all costs). The local NYC boasts a cool bar/cafe downstairs in a modern-industrial style building - all is very pleasing to the eye. The roof terrace gives a great view of Queensboro bridge and some of Manhattan's skyline, the first time I went up there I was speechless. By far the most comfortable hostel bed I've slept in, plus they have a guitar!

Great atmosphere & helpful staff. Only suggest maybe another fridge or two they were super overloaded

• 7th May 2015

The hostel is so well located, it´s one metro station away from manhattan and the station is only two blocks axay from the hostel. The rooftop is lovely, the kitchen is a little small for the size of the Hostel but still very useful, wifi works very well. The stadf is nice and helpful and there's a great bar if you don't want to go out every night. And the facilities and rooms are great and clean! I recommend it at 100%!

Planned day and night excursions would have been nice. Maybe partner with some of the tour companies and bars/clubs in the city. A dedicated TV lounge would be an enhancement.

I would have appreciated a water filter, every other hostel I have stayed in so far has one.

This hotel has everything I am looking for: close to a good subway line, very generous space (lots of spots to sit down and rest, at the bar, on the roof, in front of a computer), a very welcoming crew, and all the facilities one could need. And low price if one is ok to sleep in a dormitory.

• 3rd May 2015

the best hostel in NYC

What a great hostel! Close to the subway with a stop away from Manhattan. Super clean, great comfy beds with a self-service laundry area. Staff's really friendly and helpful and there are lights/switches next to each bed.

Has a semi-hotel feel to it. Staff was friendly enough and the rooms were immaculately clean. It is not exactly outside any metro stops, and the metro stop is somewhat out of the city, so the location is great but could be better. Overall a good experience, would stay here again.

Really cool, clean hostel. Only problem was location, it's a few subway stops out of the city, and a pain to get too from JFK. ($55 in an uber, no shuttles go to queens). Friendly staff. One of the nicest hostels I've stayed in but a bit pricy for the location.

• 26th Apr 2015
  • beaconn

Thanks for your review! I'm sorry you found us difficult to get to from JFK. The subway from there goes right to us! If you visit us again, you can take the AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica Sutphin and take the E train to Court Square. It takes about one hour, and it costs $7.75 in total. Hopefully this helps you and anyone else thinking about staying with us!

Great hostel. Best possible location outside Manhattan, with excellent transport links (Metro) to town. Hostel staff - especially bar staff - very friendly and glue the social scene together. Events most nights in the bar were appreciated, but guests not always the most sociable. Extremely clean and we'll maintained.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7