The Local NYC Reviews

1302 44th Avenue, Queens, New York, USA

Staff was super nice and helpful, place was clean, beds were the most comfortable I've ever had in a hostel, the vibe of the place was amazing, etc. etc. etc.! Some may complain that it's not downtown, but the neighbourhood is worth discovering and to be in a neighbourhood that's a little more quiet and just a short subway ride into the downtown craziness is the best of both worlds. See you next time I'm in NYC!

Great hostel and amazing staff. The facilities are all very new and clean. The staff are super friendly and always up for a chat. Wish we could have spent more time hanging out at the hostel and taking advantage of all the awesome events they run (bonus tip: don't forget to try some of the amazing beers at the bar).

Staff are friendly and helpful, bar and coffee shop is a great idea and a good place to make friends. Good location (metro stop is 2 minutes around the corner), you can be right in the thick of it within 10 minutes. I actually quite liked coming back somewhere quiet, no traffic or noise from the road so a good nights sleep is guaranteed - plus the beds are super comfy and warm! The rooms are clean and neat, 4 bed dorms. Would stay here again. Maybe they could include a basic breakfast.

The staff were friendly and extremely helpful, providing directions to public transportation, recommendations on nearby places to eat, and even helping me get a free taxi ride through 'Uber' (which I had never heard of). I liked the under bed boxes to secure my belongings and the card entry to hallways added a layer of security I appreciated. The location was great, close to the Subway and just 2 stops from the heart of Manhattan.

• 14th Nov 2014

Seemed pricy--$60+/night for a bed in a four person dorm--but I guess that's par for the course for NYC. Super easy to get to Manhattan on the subway. Facilities were good, beds were pretty comfy for bunk beds, everything was very clean, roof had a nice view. Staff was great, especially the bartender, who took a few of us to a hole in the wall around the corner after closing time at the hostel's bar (though we left soon after due to one guy's enthusiasm about a basketball game). Good place.

I'm enjoy these hip new city hostels, but it would be also awsome iif besides improving atmospheres...they added some cool dorm options, like a dorm room for quiet respectful of others travelers who desire to get to sleep abefore midnight and thus not be awakened by late night chef and late night revelers. Also you could set the dorm lamps on dimmer timers so that when kate night folk return, and turn on the lights...they dont wake those sleeping with brightness!

Thanks for the comments! Sorry you didn't have the best roommates :( The idea about dimmer timers is a good one! We'll look into that and see if it's feasible. I'm glad you think we're hip at least! I hope you'll come back again soon.

Really close to Manhattan by subway. All the staff were friendly and the facility is great - everything is new, clean, and very hip. Beds very comfortable. More hooks or towel rods in the showers would've been useful. As for security, they use swipe cards but they're not needed until you get to your floor, and often the hallway doors were propped open or didn't close properly (maybe just on second floor?). Got a free subway map but a detailed street map would've been useful too. Great stay!

Thanks for the feedback. We really appreciate everyone's honest opinions. The hallway doors are propped during that day for the houskeepers to move around freely, but they should be closed during the evening and night. The doors to the rooms all should close and lock. I'll look into the problem. Thanks for pointing it out!

I liked the staff and cleanses of the place. They provide lockers under your bed and offer to lend you a lock if you don't have one. I recommend this place and I would stay there again the next time in NYC

• 10th Nov 2014
  • Mauritania

We're happy to hear it. We hope you're be back soon!

Fantastic place to stay. All the staff were very welcoming and helpful. The whole place is very well kept, homely and well thought out. Great kitchen facilities if you need them and having such a good shower every morning was a delight!

• 7th Nov 2014

This was a great hostel! I have never stayed in one before and I was expecting a dingy old place with run down facilities. It was the complete opposite. It felt like a nice hotel, just with roommates. And the subway was such a short walk away. It was so easy to get everywhere. I didn't get lost at all. I really enjoyed my stay here and would definitely come back again.

• 6th Nov 2014

Having traveled for over 8 hours we were very tiered once we got there, so were pleased to get to sleep. It was not until the following morning we realised that the mattress on the bed was really soft in the middle, there was no support, uncomfortable and in no way would we be able to continue sleeping on it. The reception staff member who was really helpful and arranged for us to view another room on the ground floor. The room was not as nice, but the mattress better and swooped them.

I'm so sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the mattress! We did try rotating it to see if that helped. It's a new mattress, and doesn't show any sign of damage. It's possible that it's on the softer side, and unfortunately we don't have anything firmer as all of the mattresses are the same. I hope you enjoyed all the other aspects of your stay!

Honestly one of the best places I have ever been, I totally recommend it!

Thanks! We're glad you loved your stay at The Local! Come again soon.

Excellent facilities and very friendly staff. Large bar and common areas that lends itself well to travellers that like to socialize with others. Only drawback is that the location is slightly off, in Long Island City.

Thanks for your compliments! We really appreciate it. We are indeed in LIC, but it's something we're proud of! We're within close distance to 8 subway lines that can get you anywhere in the city very quickly (we're one stop from manhattan), and there are a lot of cool things in our neighborhood - terrific skyline views, parks, great restaurants, cool museums and more. I hope you'll come back and explore LIC!

The hostel is very clean and the staff was super friendly and kind. The best part is the bar, that has a lot of options of craft beers and nice bartenders. It's easy to make some friends there! The only problem(is not a big thing if you are prepared, and buy your things before traveling) is there just a few restaurants and markets around, so is hard to find something in late night, because they are closed.

• 3rd Nov 2014

thank you I would recommend staying there and would stay there again I felt safe the staff were helpful and a friendly the location was spot on subway just round corner

• 2nd Nov 2014

The location is really great and the neighborhood is absolutely safe. I really enjoyed my stay here. =)

• 1st Nov 2014

The Local NYC is amazing. When you stay there you feel realy like being at home. You can sleep very comfortably in the beds and the staff will help you solving your problems, touristic and non-touristic ones. All of them are usually very friendly and enthusiastic. It was easily to meet people because of events and the bar with its fantastic bartenders. Also their prices a realy fair, especially for NYC. If I could, I would stay there forever. But I will definitly come back!

• 31st Oct 2014

Seemed to be a lot of good things happening. I was too busy seeing the city to check them out. Everyone was helpful and friendly. Maybe the bathroom could be bigger

good hostel, just 1 stop away from upper Manhattan. I booked a 4 bed female dorm, with ensuite bathroom. The shower and toilet are separate and also well separated from the actual dorm, which is quite convenient if you come in late and people are sleeping, for example! There are lockers underneath the bed and the mattresses are really comfortable!

Genuinely enjoyed how amazing and helpful the staff are !! Went above and beyond to help me find my way around, while it's not In the heart of the city it is very easy to get into the city from this location. Awesome atmosphere and incredibly clean and tidy for a hostel. A lot more than I expected. Would definitely stay again !!

• 27th Oct 2014