The Lodge at Crystal Palace Reviews

Crystal Palace National Sports Centre, Upper Norwood, London, England

A fantastic location, a unbelievable good price for London, a small room with everything to have a rest and very friendly staff. I would and will recommend this place for everyone who requires a simple and safe place to stay in London.

• 9th Aug 2014

The hostel is looking very tired and needs redecorating/bringing up to date. My room although very tidy had a falling in ceiling and damp. The staff however were amazing and would put a lot of Hotels to shame.

• 9th Aug 2014

the area is lovely, breakfast is great, the building is spacious and the value for money in general is excellent. Good service, we appreciated the tea/coffee possibilities in the room. We felt very much at ease in the Lodge and will definitely go there again .

All attempts at cleanliness provided by the staff are thwarted by the age of building. Do not be discouraged. The staff are cheerful and helpful in answering questions; your rest at the lodge will be a quiet one. Security in the building is something to be noted: the front desk is 'manned, however the door locks didn't work. Often, I was able to walk into my dorm room without my key card. The real treat of this place are the grounds. You can picnic or spend a morning getting lost in a hedge maze

The building was an architectural gem in the sixties but sadly has not been maintained in recent years. The site is great, set in a large park with adjacent sports grounds and beautiful trees. The room was basic and tidy but it was disturbing to see rotting window sills. We were disappointed the hostel did not supply any soap in the bathroom and the toilet cistern functioned so poorly. On the positive side, the staff were very friendly and the breakfast was excellent.

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • New Zealand
  • Couple, 41+

Really enjoyed my stay here. All the staff went out of their way to be helpful and make sure everything was ok. Great breakfast included, wifi is good and the park is a beautiful location to base yourself with the train and some shops just a short stroll away. Will be back!

• 27th Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

Evening staff unfriendly &unhelpful. Breakfast very poor choice and quality - mouldy bread and not real orange juice. Very limited choice Room very poor condition, in need of decorating. Tiles fallen off bathroom wall and lots of mould in shower Sound proofing awful - could here everything in the bathroom Not told I needed to swipe the key card to close the door and the man in the next room walked in my room late at night. The cleaners also did the same at 8.30 on the day I was checking out

• 26th Jun 2014

It was really difficult to find an affordable single room accommondation in London, and the deal was great value for money. Only its a bit far from the center. Anyhow, there is 24 hour bus running so one does not need to worry about the connections in the mid of night.

Great location for events departing from Crystal Palace, particularly the London to Paris Cycle.

• 17th Jun 2014

Even though i booked 4 days they said they could not accomodate me for three of them so had to find new accomodation.

• 16th Jun 2014
  • Romania

We only booked this Hostel, because nothing else was available. The Hostel itself is quite nice, it's about 30 minutes from Victoria-Station, and at night it takes forever to get back. If you plan to party in the city, try to get a Hostel closer to the city.

Concerned that the room key opened the door to our room but did not lock it, hence we had to remove most of our belongings from the room when it was unoccupied. Apart from that 1 issue, this is the second time that I have used the Lodge while I have cycled the London Nightrider.

• 7th Jun 2014

If you're interested in learning what it might be like to stay in a 1960s hexagon then this is it. Everything is clean and spacious, with a TV and a bathroom to share between two rooms. The lodge is in a quiet location about 25 minutes from Victoria by train and quite easy to find. The staff were all lovely and the free continental breakfast not to be sniffed at. The perfect location for a C4 comedy-drama about an eccentric but charming hostel. Don't take the lift!

• 7th Jun 2014

With hostels you're never quite sure, and although some bits were dated this was perfect for what I wanted. A few fittings need fixing, but it's a big place & there is a lot to keep on top of. It's a shame that the downstairs communal gent's toilet seat simply fell apart . You could do with washing the curtains :-)

• 7th Jun 2014
  • Holy See (vatican City State)

Don't stay here !! Room entry is via a key-card. After the first time of use the card failed. I went to reception and nicely explained that the card had failed. They told me that it had failed because I had kept the card near to a my cellphone. I told them that this wasn't so as I didn't carry a cellphone. They said that I was lying as everyone carries a cellphone, and that I would have to pay Ten Pounds, (GBP10), to have the number re-inserted on the phone. I refused to pay.

• 31st May 2014
  • Japan

friendly and welcoming staff , facilities dated but adequate and exceptional value for money

• 27th May 2014
  • Couple, 41+

If you are looking for a very cheap place to sleep then this is it!

• 11th May 2014
  • Egypt

Elevator needs to be updated-It is not as reliable as its modern equivalent Joan was a lot of fun at the front desk

• 10th May 2014

Tasty breakfast, at least if you came early, so that the varieties of hot food were not yet out. Nice kitchen staff who had put out herbs. Quiet surroundings (a park), so we could sleep well. The bathroom was clean, but we had to clean the drawers under the beds ourselves. The room was in a rather shabby state, with window shelves half falling off, and smelled mouldy. The elevator had a funny tendency to stop at 1st floor. All in all, not the best standard, but good value for your money.

• 7th May 2014
  • Norway

Stopped here during 1st week and facilities were ok, however cancelled the 2nd week as when I arrived the shower was not working and the room did not have a TV.

• 6th May 2014