The Lodge at Crystal Palace Reviews

Crystal Palace National Sports Centre, Upper Norwood, London, England

Good value for money. It would be helpful if bedroom door could be locked from the inside. Staff friendly and welcoming.

• 10th Jul 2015

The hostel is a small funky out dated high rise that provides housing for the National Sporting Center. The place is ok but worn. The rooms are fine for what you pay. The room is private but toilet and shower are shared with one other room. It's very close to the Crystal Palace station which gets you to the center of London in about 30 minutes. The area is pretty nice and feels safe to me. My one complaint is the doors slam loudly and the building can be kind of noisy if busy. Breakfast is ok.

Great location, very helpful staff. It ain't the ritz, but it's great for the price. Thanks for having us!

• 27th Jun 2015

The door to the shared bathroom wouldn't close. We arrived at ten p.m. and couldn't pay with a credit card until the morning so I had to leave my passport with them. Wish they had informed us of that beforehand. All in all the atmosphere at the hotel wasn't very welcoming or friendly.

I believe to have contracted scabies from my bed sheets. Perhaps it was foolish of me to expect to use sheets in a hostel.

• 17th Jun 2015

Basic but great value for private room. Good views. Decent continental breakfast which you can upgrade to cooked for £1.

Excellent!

• 13th Jun 2015

Great value for money and convenient location. No complaints...

• 7th Jun 2015

Rooms immaculately clean and the staff, especially Joan, very friendly. Definitely stay there again.

• 6th Jun 2015

I like the surrounding of this hostel, so much greenary, although there is little light at night. So if it is your first time, I recommend that you arrive when the sun is still up, if not the place is dark and hard to find this hostel. In addition, it is hard to reach the airport from this hostel in the early morning. So if you have a flight in the morning like 7am, then you either have to take cab to the airport (which is probably going to be expensive), or stay at the airport overnight.

Excellent value for money for London! Not very central, though.

Very friendly and helpful staff. The premises could do with some decorating. Over all very good for money.

• 15th May 2015
  • British Indian Ocean Territory

This hostel is flat out scary. The doors don't really lock, the building is dimly lit, the surrounding area is a dark park, which lacks night time security. The guy at the front desk was extremely unprofessional, with an unbuttoned shirt. He said he didn't know how to use the credit card machine, so wanted to keep my passport overnight. He never actually registered me with the hostel and handed me an old bent up key card, telling me to scan the card twice to lock the door. Dirty and unsafe.

• 9th Apr 2015

Great place for the price. I Had a single room as working in the area. Extremely clean, towel, sink, TV and kettle. Friendly staff, manager very helpful in the morning. Good breakfast too. Bathroom could do with a but of updating! But overall good.

• 4th Apr 2015

Read a few somewhat negative reviews about this place as well, but paid no mind. I had a really nice stay and would recommend 'the Lodge' to anyone. The staff were very polite -- the lady at the tills even wished me a safe journey back :P The only poor things were the location and that there was no soap in either the bathroom or my own room for washing one's hands, which I found odd.

My comment on English Breakfast - at 8 o´clock it was already lukewarm; next day there was no bread and the other day there was no coffee. Hmmm.

• 25th Mar 2015
  • Czech Republic
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Very good

TheThe hotel might have been nice some thirty years ago, now it is completely run down, derelict with broken furniture. Everything you touch is covered in grease, ther is an unpleasant odour around and it is far from properly cleaned. However, the staff are very kind. Modern prison cells offer mor luxury than a standard room in that hotel. It should either be closed and renovated or deconstructed.

• 22nd Feb 2015

I stayed for 4 days in what has to be the mmost amazing surroundings - vintage architecture in the middle of Crystal Palace Park with the national sports centre next door. despite some obvious renovation needs the place was clean, the staff were lovely and the wifi was spot on. I was sorry to leave. I would recommend the hostel to anyone on a budget.☺

• 15th Feb 2015

Booked ensuite room no double bed as stated but three single beds, plaster peeling off the walls in real need of refurbishing, smelly stale air in the room, no furnishings, tea and coffee facilities available but clearly advised not to drink the tap water in room. Room and carpet was dirty and unkept. No soap or toilet freshner. One of the lifts were out of order and the another one didn't go to our floor. For the more expensive suite it really wasn't value for money and we will never go back

• 13th Feb 2015