The Mad Monkey Reviews

Building 26, Street 302, BKK1 Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This hostel has everything you need for a great stay in PP! Cool bar, good restaurant, big comfy beds and lockers. Staff are all Cambodian and very friendly and helpful.

Even though we weren't looking for a "party" hostel, my boyfriend and I really enjoyed our stay here. The place is huge, with bars/restaurants/hang out areas on multiple floors. Our room was on the very top floor in a quiet section of the hostel, which was perfect for us. The room was super clean and the wifi connection was great. My only minor complaints are that the bathroom was a bit dirty (lots of hair in the sink), and the food was a little overpriced.

Good value for money, nice hostel. Nothing special but everything is there, food at the hostel is great tho, nice bar. Two issues with our room: - No curtains before the windows so the light gets in early morning - the bar area is above the rooms and everything that is moved there makes a hell of a noise -

Make sure you don't stay in room#15 - the twin private. After 5am, the staff outside get very loud and they also use the adjacent room for cleaning. I tried many times to ask them to be quiet but they just laughed at me. The people staying here and the bar is great....just avoid room#15

Very good hostel. I especially enjoyed staying in the Female dorm. Breakfast, food and cocktails are also really nice although relatively expensive!

Large busy hostel but with lots of travellers. Great rooftop bar where you can meet and play drinking games. Famous "Bazooka" Challenge. Nice food. In walking distance (1.5km) to S-21 prison and some decent bars and clubs

• 8th Sep 2014
  • yvesh
  • Switzerland

awesome place! thanks to all the wonderful staff for making the stay so good (especially tina!)

Dorms were great, very central walking distance to many things or a $2 tuk tuk. Staff were great and lost count of how many people I met and went out with. Perfect for social side and safe. Perfect wifi for me I don't know about the other experiences I would say the noise in the dorms created by the kitchen bangkng and the neighbours was the only let down, buy some ear plugs. Seriously

Great hostel! They make you feel very safe and welcome, and organise the nicest parties at the rooftop bar. Kitchen downstairs serves great good and drinks.

Just a few comments about Mad Monkey. Great at creating a "college frat house" vibe if that's what you're into. We enjoyed boozin' and socializing a couple of nights but a few other nights just wanted to chill when we got back to our room. Unfortunately, the cement hallways echo every footstep and voice like an amplifier, especially considering the bar is on the upstairs and the restaurant downstairs. A little bit of padding or something (besides paint artwork) on the walls would go a long way.

I am glad to have chosen this hostel as they were excellent in every field. Felt welcomed in every way possible. Definitely going back if I visit Phnom Penh again.

• 29th Aug 2014
  • Singapore
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Very friendly staff and a good location. When i arrived there was a problem with the room i booked, so they immediately arranged another room which was twice as big and with a nice big bathroom. There is a lot of space to relax inside and outside on the roof. I stayed there for only one night, but i will probably go the same place again if i go to PP.

Perfect stay! Recommendable!

Perfect place as a party hostel, they know how to get you drunk ;) they organized my vietnam visa: gave them the passpprt saturday and got it back monday evening. The khmer food is average, but overpriced. They don't have a proper lounge (one in the other building but not located well enough, so no people in it) they only way to meet other travellers is in the dorms or the bar.

Pretty cool hostel. You can really enjoy your stay there. Excellent party hostel, as they have a good bar/common areas in one of the buildings, but also pretty good for having a rest, as well.

Really nice place. Staff were very helpful. Only stayed one night as we were travelling on to siem reap and just wanted to visit S21 and choeung Ek, but would definitely stay there in I'm ever back in PP. When our bus to siem reap didn't pick us up, staff arranged for a free tuk tuk to take us to the station.

Overall a great atmosphere- relatively close to the centre. We found one cockroach in the bathroom but apart from that it was clean and the staff is very friendly. Good Wifi and computers available in reception.

Lovely staff who are very helpful in sorting tours and visas etc. Great location. Good rooftop bar - great place for meeting people. Dorms are comfortable and the showers are clean.

Together with 88 hostel Best place to stay in Phnom penh. Bit more expensive but very close to one of the party streets. Still the city is very spread out so you will have to use a tuk tuk most of the time.

this was our least pleasant stay throughout our backpacking trip. the hostel is great for partying only. it has a bar which closes at 1130pm but anyone form anywhere can use it so security is a bit bad. the location is a lengthy tuk tuk drive from the killing fields or the market on weekends. the bathrooms are average and combine toilet shower and sink and you cannot use toilet paper, just a hose. no hand soap. mad mnokey has a rep for partying but thats about it. nothing special about really.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6