The Mad Monkey Reviews

Building 26, Street 302, BKK1 Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This place is good for pre drinking,the food is great and beds are compfy. But I was disapointed concidering this place is so highly rated. The staff do not smile and are not very helpful, the cleaners let themselves into the rooms throughout the day and night so forget sleeping in past 7. I even woke up to find one of the cleaners on the bed next to me on her phone in the middle of the night. The lockers are so stiff you wake up everyone. There is no tours and activities offered exept drinking.

The bathroom and toilet is dirty

• 17th Jul 2014
  • Thailand

We booked a private ensuite room 2 months in advance but on arrival there had been overbooking errors and we ended up in a mixed 12 person dorm. Very different. So check bookings directly. Also when we were charged as they couldn't find the original booking it wasn't possible to take off the original deposit paid. The dorm was fine except no effort was considered with regards to gender balance. The restaurant and bar were great.

Excellent stay, bar was great

Great fun, loved the hostel. Only problem would have been pricey food but we ate out mostly, so it wasn't an issue! Thank you :)

Great hostel, very nice staff, and good food!

Fantastic place to stay, rooftop bar was an excellent way to meet other backpackers and have a few cheeky cocktails! Awesome atmosphere and the staff are really lovely! Definately coming back here :)

Great sized private room with a really nice bathroom setup. We really enjoyed the downstairs bar and restaurant and had two really yummy meals. The staff are super friendly and seem to love their jobs! Pretty busy if you're looking for somewhere quiet - but that's just testament to its popularity. I'd recommend booking ahead.

Fantastic hostel! Has pretty much everything you need if you're looking to meet some fun people and grab a couple drinks. Dorms are nice and spacey, and you have a huge locker that can fit just about anything you might be carrying on you. Only downside to this place is it's a little far from a lot of the other bars/nightlife scene if that's what you're looking for. But you just have to take a short tuk tuk ride, and you'll find what you're looking for.

Had a great time at Mad Monkey Phnom Penh, luckily I was in the hostel across the one with the bar otherwise it would have been noisy! Beds were amazing, big lockers, friendly staff.

Only stayed a night before moving to another hostel. I had booked a twelve or fourteen bed dorm but in reality it was 22 beds. Too many people coming or going to really be able to rest. Different staff members would give different answers to the same query. Better hostels available for the same price.

In a decent area of Phnom Penh, off of a quiet street, so you got to avoid the chaos of the rest of the city. The staff was very friendly and explained to everybody the safety precautions they should take while out and about in the city. Food in the restaurant was fabulous, but the hostel overall lacked atmosphere. No real common area and every time I went to the roof bar it was dead. They overbooked my room and upgraded me to a fancy suite for the same price.

During the four days we were there they moved us twice because of booking errors. When we were moved to the room we had reserved the air conditioner was broken so they had to put us in another room. Overall I would recommend it... I did not meet others who encountered these problems... But it was frustrating for us!

The ladies dorm was directly under the sunset bar, and, whilst the music wasn't too bad, you could hear everyone walking around and chairs being moved,. OK if you were up there, but it was a very small space and hard to meet people (you walked in and it was hard to move around, the music was too loud to talk, so not a great initial socializing area). There was a restaurant downstairs, but a more informal lounge would have been great. Staff are really lovely.

Partying in the evening was fun as there are many backpackers! Bad that there is no lounge area as its been suggerated on the pictures! The price seemed kind a bit to high for me

Great place to stay and good bar for the evenings. Could have done with a common room but the restaurant was good, if slightly expensive. Staff quite helpful but when booking a bus to Sinoukville they booked the wrong bus for me but still took my money so one to be wary ofL

Good hostel in a good location in Phnom Penh. Only got to spend one night there so can't say too much but it was very easy to get to (in the middle of the night) and very easy to arrange transport to Siem Reap from the hostel the next day. Good value and very comfortable beds!

The hostel is amazing, with the confiest beds that I had in 3 months and also the largest. My only complaint is I was placed right next to the bar and it was extremely noisy every night until 11:30 when it closed.

Got a bed in a 6 beds-dorm which was located at the top floor in between the pub and the staircase. It was so noisy during the night with loud music and people walking pass the door heading in and out to the pub. Were told not to walk on the streets and can only go out with tuk tuk for safety reason which was quite terrifying. Would prefer other hostels along the river side instead of this cause even the taxi having difficulty finding the hostel.

We really enjoyed our stay at The Mad Monkey! The hostel has a great atmosphere and is clearly popular amongst backpackers, if not for the fierce air-con and large beds then for the lively bar. Each bunk has a large locked below the bed so security was good, and the staff were very helpful in organising onward transport.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6