The Mad Monkey Reviews

Building 26, Street 302, BKK1 Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

We had a very bad matress the first night, we told the staff about it and the matress was replaced with a very good one the same day. Awesome! Nice atmosphere in the bar, decent prices, lots of noise but it stops at 23.30. The area is not particularly interesting, lots of fancy and western places. It's possible to find cheap local food, but you need to search a bit. Otherwise it's all very expensive. Very helpful staff, english speaking.

Had my phone stolen whilst in Phnom Penh and they were extremely helpful and comforting and called the police straight away so i could file a report. The staff are great. Overall great hostel, if you don't like party hostels though you probably shouldn't stay here as its super load in most of the rooms as the rooms are situated above the bar which goes off every night.

I stayed two nights at the hostel along with 4 of my girlfriends. The staff was very accommodating and were happy to book tours and buses for us. Security was great, they locked the front of the hostel up at night. Beds werent the most comfortable, but were large and clean. Some great food spots and a mini mart nearby. Overall a great experience!

• 23rd Feb 2015

Nice hostel. Has an artsy vibe and a great restaurant across from reception, where dorms are. Stayed in the all girl dorm and it was good. AC worked, bunk beds are pretty big and comfy. It's a little loud because we were under the rooftop bar, but I didn't mind. They have their own tuk tuk drivers outside reception if you want to tour the city. Overall, it's a good dorm.

Great hostel with not the most modern amenities - but the staff is super helpful! Would be nice if breakfast was included considering it's not the cheapest place & the restaurant food is quite pricey, but oh well. Great location, no locks on doors - but huge lockers under bed. Great atmosphere & great bed bug protocol (switched the whole mattress!) nice to see them being so clean when a case is reported to them as it was when I was there in the jungle room!

Staff are friendly, and my dorm was so clean. Bed where huge and so comfortable! Bit of a maze, but easy enough to find your way around. And couldn't hear any noise from the roof top bar at night!

The hostel is surrounded by quite expensive restaurants/lunchrooms. It's not located in the cheaper part of the city or the city centre, but the hostel itself is nice. Staff is friendly, rooms are nice, beds are ok, rooms are quite clean. My room wasn't located in the part of the building where the bar is, so my room was really quiet, which was nice. But my friend's room was located under the bar area, which was loud but they shut down the bar around midnight. Not sure if I' d stay here again.

My husband and I had an amazing time here. We booked a twin private room which was clean and stayed surprisingly quiet as we had a dorm next to us. The staff were amazing, always friendly and easy to have a laugh with. The facilities were great and so easy to book tours and any onward travel. The food was fantastic! I don't really have any negative points except the 'sunset/rooftop bar' had a roof. Great place! Would recommend it to anyone! We met some fantastic people in this hostel!

The Mad Monkey in Phnom Penh really knows how to treat guests GREAT! The staff was excellent. Everybody had a big smile and where helpfull. The dorms where great as well. Big beds and a locker to put your valuables and other stuff. The restaurant had amazing food! Best hostel i have ever stayed at.

Met some great people here. Great place to socialise in the bar - we love Tina!!! Dorms were big and spacious and beds are huge and comfy!! Two things: bathrooms could be bigger and the lockers under the bed wouldn't fit a padlock on! Otherwise - awesome 😊

Great bar for socialising, big party at night but it closes at 12 so you can still get a decent nights sleep. Staff are helpful and beds are enormous! Own charging points by the beds for your phone etc.

Great time at the mad monkey and lovely in house tuk tuks too!

Very nice hostel. Comfortable and big beds and friendly staff. Nice bar with foosball table. Beer could be cheaper.

Dormroom without a window. Bad air even with the aircon. Shower next to dorm without any ventilation, except to dorm. Nice staff but I think hostel is not up to 2015 standard in hostels.

Very nice staff the organise everything i needed from visa to bus bookings .great place would stay there again

Scammed when getting a visa for Vietnam. I had emailed the dates of my arrival(so they knew it was close to TET) and asked for the price as I could have also gotten one while in Siem Reap for $75USD. They informed me that if I gave them 2 days, I could get a visa for $65USD. When I arrived, they told me that because it was TET that they couldn't do that rate, and if I wanted it done at all it would cost me $90USD and as I was leaving for Vietnam after Phnom Penh I was forced to pay.

Incredible atmosphere that I had previously heard about and my stay didn't disappoint. Facilities were very clean for a party hostel and the bar was great for meeting people.

The staff here is really nice and the rooms are clean. The bar is a ghost town during the day but really gets rocking at night with a beer pong table and everything! There are some rooms too close to the bar that can be difficult to sleep in until midnight or so.

Staff were excellent, and the one in siem reap was great, there is swim pool! Good choice to stay at both PP and SR the mad monkey, strongly recomdated!

• 12th Feb 2015
  • China

No introductions needed for the infamous Mad Monkey. Definitely a party vibe, I really enjoyed it even though i only stayed 2 nights. If you want something a bit more chill and quiet, maybe not he place for you.