The Mad Monkey Reviews

Building 26, Street 302, BKK1 Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Booked a ten bed dorm and was put into a 20 bed dorm right next to the rooftop bar so it was the quietest place! No key to lock dorm room and the door didn't shut properly, but there were really large lockers under the bed. Food is really tasty and good sized portions but bit pricey for backpackers!

Mad monkey was fantastic, very clean and helpful staff. We were in a dorm by the bar - not a great location so ask for another room. It was loud and hard to nap in if you'd like some rest in the evening before going out or want to sleep before midnight. We had shitty dorm mates but that's not the hostels fault. Good value for money, I'd recommend to anyone.

Awesome place! Very fun energy and helpful staff. Pretty hot on the 4th floor but every room has great conditioning

• 3rd May 2015

I love the place! Food was great and a nice location. Good tours too! The only thing odd was the maids hang out in the dorm rooms all day... they are very sweet, but it was just odd. The hostel has an economic philosophy which is nice.

Amazing staff and amazing food!! Clean and tidy!! Great to meet other backpackers!

Nice hostel, big beds, clean place, 2 bathrooms in 1 dorm. Helpfull staff, you're able to book everything at the reception (tours and buses). Restaurant is nice, good food! Nice rooftop bar!

Stayed two nights and in two different rooms. The first was in the villa in room for 4 people (a mistake in my booking i think) and in a private twin above the bar. Both rooms were amazing with quality A/C. Sure its a party hostel with a rooftop bar, but I've seen families stay there as well. The stairs are a bit of a bother but that can be overlooked. Wonderful staff at the resto.

Hostel is in a good location on a quieter street, but tuk tuks are always available for you to go on day trips. Food is amazing, although (naturally) overpriced. Beds were comfy and rooms were clean, however I stayed in the 6 bed female dorm and the noise at night from the scraping of the chairs on the rooftop bar above the room was often unbearable!! Super friendly staff, although don't try asking reception on too many tips for what to do, English is their 2nd language after all.

I would definitely recommend Mad Monkey to anybody travelling in Cambodia. The atmosphere is great and you always meet cool people. The staff are lovely, very helpful and always smiling. They have their own tuk tuk drivers, which means you are definitely getting a safe drive. They have loads of helpful advice, activities every day and the food in the restaurant is great!

Probably the largest Hostel in town. Excellent Facilities and Service and awesome restaurant but it does seem to attract a certain type of guests. Good for partying if you don't mind the fratboy/springbreak kind of vibe.

Trips and tours are quite expensive, for the rest a good hostel!

Restaurant staff were great, reception staff not so after trying to say me and my friend hadn't paid for room when we had, became quite rude. room was noisy until 12am as bar was right next to it. Large 24 bed dorm so can generally be noisy. Food and drink was all good and reasonable price.

• 22nd Apr 2015

Spacious family room on the other side of the street to the restaurant. Gorgeous room with two large double beds for our party of four. Wifi available everywhere. Restaurant and bar opposite which sells good food. The bar itself is boiling hot despite fans - is no AC a ploy to make us drink more beer? Events on each night if people wanted to be involved - BBQ night was good. Knowledgable staff

Mad monkeys are quite easily the best hostels you can stay in in Cambodia. After staying in this one we made sure we stayed in the others throughout our trip. The rooms are so spacious and the beds bigger than normal. Showers are good, air con is great. The bar is really sociable and a great way to meet people. Have there own trusted tuk tuk drivers that don't rip you off. Really recommend

Fantastic place to stay in the city. Really friendly staff and a good place to chill at the bar and meet people.

Hostel facilities were good. Staff relatively helpful. Its a classic party hostel every night.

I loved the people that stayed at this hostel. All the travelers were friendly, and it was one of the more fun nights out during my vacation. The bar was awesome. The front desk staff was EXTREMELY unhelpful. It felt like I was bothering them every time I talked to them. I stayed at the other two Mad Monkeys, and this was the only one with the problem. The restaurant staff (some of them) were also quite rude and unhelpful.

Evry thing is perfect. Staffs are very friendly. We have a good time there. Hello from Vietnam

• 17th Apr 2015
  • Vietnam

Awesome hostel, with a lot of backpackers

We had so much fun at this hostel. The rooms were basic but clean and comfy. Bathrooms were a little run down but sill clean and usable. The roof top bar was so much fun and such a good atmosphere :) unfortunately you do need to take a tuk tuk if you want to carry on partying after midnight but it's so cheap that didn't bother us. Food in restaurant was really nice. Would definitely recommend :)