The Mad Monkey Reviews

Building 26, Street 302, BKK1 Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

In a decent area of Phnom Penh, off of a quiet street, so you got to avoid the chaos of the rest of the city. The staff was very friendly and explained to everybody the safety precautions they should take while out and about in the city. Food in the restaurant was fabulous, but the hostel overall lacked atmosphere. No real common area and every time I went to the roof bar it was dead. They overbooked my room and upgraded me to a fancy suite for the same price.

During the four days we were there they moved us twice because of booking errors. When we were moved to the room we had reserved the air conditioner was broken so they had to put us in another room. Overall I would recommend it... I did not meet others who encountered these problems... But it was frustrating for us!

The ladies dorm was directly under the sunset bar, and, whilst the music wasn't too bad, you could hear everyone walking around and chairs being moved,. OK if you were up there, but it was a very small space and hard to meet people (you walked in and it was hard to move around, the music was too loud to talk, so not a great initial socializing area). There was a restaurant downstairs, but a more informal lounge would have been great. Staff are really lovely.

Partying in the evening was fun as there are many backpackers! Bad that there is no lounge area as its been suggerated on the pictures! The price seemed kind a bit to high for me

Great place to stay and good bar for the evenings. Could have done with a common room but the restaurant was good, if slightly expensive. Staff quite helpful but when booking a bus to Sinoukville they booked the wrong bus for me but still took my money so one to be wary ofL

Good hostel in a good location in Phnom Penh. Only got to spend one night there so can't say too much but it was very easy to get to (in the middle of the night) and very easy to arrange transport to Siem Reap from the hostel the next day. Good value and very comfortable beds!

The hostel is amazing, with the confiest beds that I had in 3 months and also the largest. My only complaint is I was placed right next to the bar and it was extremely noisy every night until 11:30 when it closed.

Got a bed in a 6 beds-dorm which was located at the top floor in between the pub and the staircase. It was so noisy during the night with loud music and people walking pass the door heading in and out to the pub. Were told not to walk on the streets and can only go out with tuk tuk for safety reason which was quite terrifying. Would prefer other hostels along the river side instead of this cause even the taxi having difficulty finding the hostel.

We really enjoyed our stay at The Mad Monkey! The hostel has a great atmosphere and is clearly popular amongst backpackers, if not for the fierce air-con and large beds then for the lively bar. Each bunk has a large locked below the bed so security was good, and the staff were very helpful in organising onward transport.

The staff were so friendly and a delight. Rooms clean and fun. The top bunk beds are super high but made up for by their being doubles. Restaurant food very good too - so good, in fact, that I regretted not eating more cheap local stuff; still - awesome few days stay. Charlotte

Not suitable for quiet traveler as the wall is not soundproof.

Standard "Party hostel" in the south of downtown Phnom Penh. Don't come here if you're expecting to sleep before 12 or want to have a quiet drink with fellow travellers. For the money the facilities are a bit basic (only 2 bathrooms in the large dorm, toilets are a bit grimy) and the location is quite far from anything in Phnom Penh city. Chances are you will know if this is the place for you so those looking to party with a bunch of ~20 year olds will feel right at home.

Super friendly staff, helped us change bus tickets etc, Tina is great always has a smile on her face and is up for a chat. Wifi was a tad average but other then that a nice hostel.

Excellent backpacker vibe, good food and BBQ is excellent.

Not sure what all the great reviews are about. Dorms smelt like sewage, staff completely average at restaurant and front desk, wifi never worked in room. Just completely average accommodation and service but priced accordingly

• 3rd Jun 2014

Great, great hostel! Everything perfect, just the location could be more central. However ,and considering the prices that you pay for transport, is not a big deal! Definitely one of the best hostels that I've ever stayed.

The Mad Monkey is an excellent place to stay in if you want to meet new people, particularly within the age bracket of 20 - 27 year old backpackers out for a good time. Besides the good atmosphere, the bunk beds are very big and clean. Each bed has a power supply and led light. The abundance of toilet paper is a plus. The only major issue I had with the hostel is the extremely poor wifi connection at their Phnom Penh branch. Most of the guests had virtually no internet.

I really likes this hostel, one of the best I stayed in Southeast Asia. The location is really good and the atmosphere is the best you can ask for if you're a backpacker and want to meet new and cool people. The facilities are brilliant, with enough bathrooms, a restaurant, bar, access to taxis, tours and buses to Vietnam or Thailand. The staff is really helpful and definitely is a really nice place to stay on a low budget in Phnom Penh. I recommend it to everyone travelling there :D

Had a great time at the mad monkey! Very social hostel with great facilities. Amazing food in the restaurant at affordable prices and a very helpful staff. The rooftop bar is one of the coolest bars I've been too, who doesn't love beer pong. The art featured around the hostel is of awesome quality! Only downside to the stay was seeing a huge rat in the lobby but it disappeared quickly. The rooms are very hygienic though so don't worry!

Loved the atmosphere here! Great place to meet people, and staff was very friendly. Rooms were cleaned regularly and very thorough. Decent location. Party hostel, can get very loud at night, but really fun!