The Mad Monkey Reviews

Building 26, Street 302, BKK1 Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Wicked hostel, clean with good facilities Every night when the bar closes everyone heads to the next place, great atmosphere

One of THE best hostels I've ever stayed in. We had just spent a week on some of the islands and were relieved and excited by the comforts provided by the Mad Monkey - great shower, comfy bed, CLEAN spacious room, extensive menu. Really loved all the information provided and the fact the business promotes fair wages for Cambodian workers. Wasn't loud where our room was which was a major bonus. We liked it so much we stayed at the Mad Monkey in Siem Reap too.

This hostel is pretty awesome, love the roof bar atmosphere is good. Met loads of cool people and it's an easy to get stuck there,

This is a really great hostel. The staff are friendly, welcoming, and will you help you arrange anything and everything. I met some great people here-- the bar is cool and the restaurant, although a bit on the expensive end, is good and a great place to hang out and meet people. The rooms are big, airy, and the beds are comfortable. Everyone has a socket and a reading lamp, and there are small lockers in the room for valuables. The bathroom was kept clean. I would absolutely stay here again!

Very clean and nice facilities, but expensive and expensive neighbourhood. Also a lack of chillout space for meeting other travellers. However, staff were very helpful and beds were comfortable!

It was a very pleasant place to stay. Excellent food!!

Great hostel in a great location. Loved the bar upstairs, and the restaurant downstairs had the best western food we ate in Cambodia. I would recommend this place to anybody.

Very fun rooftop bar with cheap drinks. A fun atmosphere and laundry can be done on site.

We stayed at a double bedroom private ensuite so we were not in the same builing as the restaurant/bar (just across the street). So we were located very quietly. If you want to party take a room at the side of the restaurant if not at the side of the reception there it is very quiet and you have your own space.

Stayed at the Mad Monkey for three nights and had a brilliant time. Its location is good and allows for a ten minute walk to the main riverfront and tourist sites in the city. The hostels ethics in how it treats its staff is really evident and its worth staying here knowing that you are supporting local people. The downstairs restaurant and rooftop bar allows for great opportunitys to meet people or to just chill out. Would highly recommend the Mad Monkey.

place was great but the staff were not particularly helpful

This is a well designed hostel, big beds, ensuite in room, access to tour packages, computers, bar and restaurant. Tuk tuk drivers are always available outside, and the hostel has very ethical backgrounds. I didn't like the area, and felt like the restaurant was a little overpriced and could do with being bigger, it got very full at peak times. Also, the staff seemed quite dismissive and blunt at times seeming to be more involved in their personal conversations than guest's needs.

Facilities were fine at this hostel location was a bit away from everything. The restaurant was very overpriced and the hostel staff tried to change my money for a horrendously low rate.

The Mad Monkey is definitely one of the more popular hostels in Phnom Penh and it's easy to see why. The downstairs restaurant should be busy and social right when you arrive and later in the evening, people move to the rooftop bar which serves amazing food and drinks and even gives out free shots. The rooms are above average and the atmosphere always remains lively. I wish the location was closer to city center, but it's not too far of a tuk-tuk ride to get there. Overall a great stay!

The facilities were good here, the hostel bar was over the road so it didnt keep you awake at night, Staff were very friendly and helpful though at times i think the reception staff were a bit rushed off there feet so kept you waiting though it was no problem as they tried to help as fast as they could.

Our private room was close to the bar, was pretty loud but thankfully they close the bar at 11pm so it wasn't too bad. Bathrooms were pretty average but not bad for South East Asia, but these were for the private rooms. Would not have been keen to use the dorm bathrooms! Restaurant was really pricey for the food they served which wasn't amazing quality. All in all was a decent hostel but nothing to rave about

Nice place to stay, but out away from the main part of the city. Facilities are nice, staff was friendly, but not a superior place to sty. The one thing I liked most was how they employ locals and pay them above average salaries compared to other jobs. They also hire people with disabilities and pay them well also.

Reading the reviews I was excited booking 2 nights with the Mad Monkey. How naive of me... The room had no windows. The bathroom was too small and the bathtub metal parts were rusty. At night I saw a cockroach near the piping and I took my flipflop to kill it. Of course I missed the cokcroach and hit the pipe, then 2 more cockroaches came out of the tube and I had to kill them all. The staff are friendly in general, but many are too busy partying to have time to take care of the hostel.

• 23rd Jan 2014

Friendly staff and fun environment. Best hostel I have stayed at during my travels.

• 23rd Jan 2014

I really enjoyed the upstairs bar, because I arrived just before sunset and got a panoramic view of the city. The atmosphere in the bar was amazing, and the prices were very cheap too. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The other guests-many from Australia were really interesting. l The hostel has a downstairs restaurant offering both Khmer and western food. I like the fact that the bar closes at 11-not 12 or 1 a.m. People can have fun and sleep.