The Mad Monkey Reviews

Building 26, Street 302, BKK1 Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Very clean and nice facilities, but expensive and expensive neighbourhood. Also a lack of chillout space for meeting other travellers. However, staff were very helpful and beds were comfortable!

It was a very pleasant place to stay. Excellent food!!

Great hostel in a great location. Loved the bar upstairs, and the restaurant downstairs had the best western food we ate in Cambodia. I would recommend this place to anybody.

Very fun rooftop bar with cheap drinks. A fun atmosphere and laundry can be done on site.

We stayed at a double bedroom private ensuite so we were not in the same builing as the restaurant/bar (just across the street). So we were located very quietly. If you want to party take a room at the side of the restaurant if not at the side of the reception there it is very quiet and you have your own space.

Stayed at the Mad Monkey for three nights and had a brilliant time. Its location is good and allows for a ten minute walk to the main riverfront and tourist sites in the city. The hostels ethics in how it treats its staff is really evident and its worth staying here knowing that you are supporting local people. The downstairs restaurant and rooftop bar allows for great opportunitys to meet people or to just chill out. Would highly recommend the Mad Monkey.

place was great but the staff were not particularly helpful

This is a well designed hostel, big beds, ensuite in room, access to tour packages, computers, bar and restaurant. Tuk tuk drivers are always available outside, and the hostel has very ethical backgrounds. I didn't like the area, and felt like the restaurant was a little overpriced and could do with being bigger, it got very full at peak times. Also, the staff seemed quite dismissive and blunt at times seeming to be more involved in their personal conversations than guest's needs.

Facilities were fine at this hostel location was a bit away from everything. The restaurant was very overpriced and the hostel staff tried to change my money for a horrendously low rate.

The facilities were good here, the hostel bar was over the road so it didnt keep you awake at night, Staff were very friendly and helpful though at times i think the reception staff were a bit rushed off there feet so kept you waiting though it was no problem as they tried to help as fast as they could.

Our private room was close to the bar, was pretty loud but thankfully they close the bar at 11pm so it wasn't too bad. Bathrooms were pretty average but not bad for South East Asia, but these were for the private rooms. Would not have been keen to use the dorm bathrooms! Restaurant was really pricey for the food they served which wasn't amazing quality. All in all was a decent hostel but nothing to rave about

Nice place to stay, but out away from the main part of the city. Facilities are nice, staff was friendly, but not a superior place to sty. The one thing I liked most was how they employ locals and pay them above average salaries compared to other jobs. They also hire people with disabilities and pay them well also.

Reading the reviews I was excited booking 2 nights with the Mad Monkey. How naive of me... The room had no windows. The bathroom was too small and the bathtub metal parts were rusty. At night I saw a cockroach near the piping and I took my flipflop to kill it. Of course I missed the cokcroach and hit the pipe, then 2 more cockroaches came out of the tube and I had to kill them all. The staff are friendly in general, but many are too busy partying to have time to take care of the hostel.

• 23rd Jan 2014

Friendly staff and fun environment. Best hostel I have stayed at during my travels.

• 23rd Jan 2014

I really enjoyed the upstairs bar, because I arrived just before sunset and got a panoramic view of the city. The atmosphere in the bar was amazing, and the prices were very cheap too. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The other guests-many from Australia were really interesting. l The hostel has a downstairs restaurant offering both Khmer and western food. I like the fact that the bar closes at 11-not 12 or 1 a.m. People can have fun and sleep.

The staff at Mad Monkey went above and beyond to help me out in a tricky situation when my bag was stolen and I will be forever grateful! Thanks team!!

• 22nd Jan 2014

Hands down the place to be. BOOK EARLY. They have it right at this place.. Strong WiFi.. CLEAN Facility, AWESOME Staff, Goood Food and nightly activities for people to mingle on the rooftop bar. Def a more party type hostel....people dont come to just be here..but to be there with awesome entertaining people.

The private room with ensuite was not so private. There was a huge glass window in which you could see (both ways) with drunk partiers coming in at all hours~leaning against that same window texting, talking, etc. There were tuk-tuk drivers at every end of every entrance pestering you while trying to enjoy a (delicious) breakfast. The staff, facilities, bars, and tour sales desk are all connected so you get a group-rape plan. Not worth the extra distance or $ for the Mad Monkey.

i was in the hospital in bangkok - obviously i had not planned that. i missed my booked night at mad monkey, since the doctors have kept me for a week. nobody every replied to my email concerning my booking / cancelling trouble/issues even though i emailed to all the different email addresses of them. SO NOT nice. i am so disappointed!! i told 'em that id still love to come after i would get discharged but i never heard from the hostel again. seriously!?(i offered a scan of my medical report!)

Great place, huge private rooms, very good food, a cool bar in the terrace, and an all-around great vibe and friendly atmosphere. One thing I didn't like: It has signs everywhere letting you know about the special daily events, like Free beer or whatever. When we went to the bar for one of those, they acted like they knew nothing about it and said it was on a different day, even asked where we'd read that. There were at least 3 or 4 signs about it, some at the Front desk. Felt a bit ripped off.

• 15th Jan 2014