The Mad Monkey Reviews

Building 26, Street 302, BKK1 Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Amazing atmosphere and staff. Dorm rooms are great for money you pay. Home away from home

A bit more expensive than other places but it's worth it to know the business is being run ethically.

We just spent one night here, but it was a nice time. In the night there was party on the roof top and therefore quite loud, but it was acceptable. Good restaurant. Room was clean and spacious. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Great place, great vibes.

Was at this hostel last year and came back this year, its excellent and professional. The food is amazingggg and the cleaning and wait staff are just the loveliest. Free drink upon arrival and rooms are bright and clean. We went straight from here to the one in Siem Reap. Only downfalls- lockers in room not secure at all covered only by loose bedboard. All staff so friendly but reception in both mad monkeys let them down entirely, they were so dull and asking them anything seemed a huge task.

This hostel has everything you need for a great stay in PP! Cool bar, good restaurant, big comfy beds and lockers. Staff are all Cambodian and very friendly and helpful.

Very social and clean hostel. Beds were very comfy. Enjoyed my stay. If you want a more personal and quiet hostel this isn't the place for you.

Good location. Rooms and are nice and clean. Bathrooms cleaned regularly. Good location. Food and water at hostel restaurant are expensive.

Even though we weren't looking for a "party" hostel, my boyfriend and I really enjoyed our stay here. The place is huge, with bars/restaurants/hang out areas on multiple floors. Our room was on the very top floor in a quiet section of the hostel, which was perfect for us. The room was super clean and the wifi connection was great. My only minor complaints are that the bathroom was a bit dirty (lots of hair in the sink), and the food was a little overpriced.

This mad monkey was good, but the monkey mad in seim reap was not so good, i booked a dorm online and when I got there I wanted to upgrade to a private room so instead of paying a little extra she canceled my booking and charged me $17 for one night and didnt really explain to me I was going to lose booking and pay all again

Good value for money, nice hostel. Nothing special but everything is there, food at the hostel is great tho, nice bar. Two issues with our room: - No curtains before the windows so the light gets in early morning - the bar area is above the rooms and everything that is moved there makes a hell of a noise -

Make sure you don't stay in room#15 - the twin private. After 5am, the staff outside get very loud and they also use the adjacent room for cleaning. I tried many times to ask them to be quiet but they just laughed at me. The people staying here and the bar is great....just avoid room#15

Very good hostel. I especially enjoyed staying in the Female dorm. Breakfast, food and cocktails are also really nice although relatively expensive!

Large busy hostel but with lots of travellers. Great rooftop bar where you can meet and play drinking games. Famous "Bazooka" Challenge. Nice food. In walking distance (1.5km) to S-21 prison and some decent bars and clubs

• 8th Sep 2014
  • yvesh
  • Switzerland

awesome place! thanks to all the wonderful staff for making the stay so good (especially tina!)

Dorms were great, very central walking distance to many things or a $2 tuk tuk. Staff were great and lost count of how many people I met and went out with. Perfect for social side and safe. Perfect wifi for me I don't know about the other experiences I would say the noise in the dorms created by the kitchen bangkng and the neighbours was the only let down, buy some ear plugs. Seriously

Great hostel! They make you feel very safe and welcome, and organise the nicest parties at the rooftop bar. Kitchen downstairs serves great good and drinks.

Just a few comments about Mad Monkey. Great at creating a "college frat house" vibe if that's what you're into. We enjoyed boozin' and socializing a couple of nights but a few other nights just wanted to chill when we got back to our room. Unfortunately, the cement hallways echo every footstep and voice like an amplifier, especially considering the bar is on the upstairs and the restaurant downstairs. A little bit of padding or something (besides paint artwork) on the walls would go a long way.

To be honest Ioved the staff and the beds were big enough but the bathroom was not cleaned for all the days I stayed in there even though I kept asking them to clean it.

I am glad to have chosen this hostel as they were excellent in every field. Felt welcomed in every way possible. Definitely going back if I visit Phnom Penh again.

• 29th Aug 2014