The Mad Monkey Reviews

Building 26, Street 302, BKK1 Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

They didn't get my email asking to switch the dates of my booking. Stayed here through sheer luck!

We had a really good time at Mad Monkey. It was my birthday and we had so much fun at the rooftop bar. The dorms are clean and the beds are huge which is really nice. The food at the restaurant is really overpriced but the quesadilla's are nice.

Great place for meeting new people, the staff work perfect, rooms are very clean, has a restaurant and varied food. Disputes the fact that it's very far from everything.. But usually you take a tuk tuk tour from the hostel. At evening there is a rooftop bar.

AC did not work very well. Staff not helpful. Bar and hangout area very nice. Food was pretty good. Some of the sites are pretty walkable from hostel.

Amazing restaurant but fairly pricy for Cambodia, very modern and clean hostel. Great bar. Rooms are comfortable

Pretty loud party hostel. If you're in the mood to party then it's a great place. I got the stomach flu during my stay here so the noices from the upstairs bar were pretty miserable. They all shut down by 12pm but still expect a little bit of noice

Nice facilities and good food, easy to meet people. A little outside of the center of the city though

The social atmosphere at Mad Monkey is great, it is easy to meet people at the restaurant and bar. I stayed at the jungle dorm, which is next to the bar - but because this dorm is made up of different components and I stayed in the one furthest away from the bar, there was no nuisance whatsoever. The restaurant and tickets are pricey though and there are no good local food alternatives in the direct neighbourhood, so be prepared to walk a little further.

I love mad monkey hostels, but my dorm room was right underneath the bar and the drinking games people were playing were incredibly loud because they were banging on the table and it was rattling the ceiling. Also, a shelf by the bed would be nice.

Have stayed at a few other mad monkey hostels and they are always very good. Clean rooms, lively bar, lots of information. Would definelty stay again.

Great hostel. One young girl changing bed sheets of checked out beds etc really let the team down though - huffing and puffing at us because we were in the room during the day?! even though we were huddled on one occupied bed so no hinderance to her at all. Shouting saying she "needs to work" even opening the doors and turning off the air con to make it too hot for us. I wonder why she wanted us out the room so badly? Strange. She needs customer service training. Everything else was perfect.

It's a party hostel, so don't expect to get much sleep. Especially when people are coming in late, after drinking. Opening the lockers under the beds is really noisy. The food at the restaurant is good though, albeit a bit pricy.

The mad monkeys are probably the best hostels I've ever stayed in, brilliant facilities, staff and people! Phnom Penh could only be improved with a swimming pool..

Such a cool hostel. The staff in the restaurant are so funny and really friendly! The food was amazing and the dorms were always lovely and cold!

Mad Monkey is a fantastic hostel. With a restaurant downstairs with great food to the "rooftop" bar upstairs with a great vibe. It's a great place to meet people when you're a solo traveller. The staff are also super friendly and always having a laugh.

• 24th May 2015

This is a party hostel at heart, and if you're located near the rooftop bar in the second building it can get pretty loud during the evening. Staff are very helpful, and were very incredibly accommodating helping us to book tickets to other destinations and arranging our visas for Vietnam. Would definitely stay here again, and suggest it to anyone traveling through Phnom Penh, they also do a lot of outreach work with the community and have two other hostels if you like your stay in Phnom Penh.

The atmosphere was great and everyone from staff to travellers were welcoming and helpful which was great for a solo traveller such as myself. Stayed in the jungle dorm near the bar but noise wasn't an issue for me. Was in a good location aswell making it easy to get to where I wanted to go.

Room was spacious and clean, although the airconditioner smelled weird when switched on. Location was also very central and convenient. If you love the expat party scene, this is definitely the place for you. The upstairs bar is absolutely raging in the evenings. If you're not into the bar scene, the noise will probably be a bit much - but it promptly ends at midnight.

Great place

Very cool hostel, with great bar and events every night. Great for meeting other travellers. Good restaurant with lots of options. Bar and restaurant staff were lovely and really helpful, reception staff were rude and slow to help. Spent the whole time on their phones or talking to each other when we were trying to check in, plan forward travel etc. lovely rooms, clean and spacious. Loads of information about onward travel and things to do.